[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/, i want to get into electronics, what are some must
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 60W-Iron.jpg (60 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
60W-Iron.jpg
60 KB, 700x525
Hey /diy/, i want to get into electronics, what are some must have tools/hardware?
>>
>>1009574
cheap soldering iron and even cheaper digital multimeter
>>
>>1009576
What about cheap oscilloscopes, are they even worth it?
>>
>>1009579
Well sure, but you can still find a proper used analog scope for not that much money.
>>
>>1009579
I have a one-channel scope, which technically I can get the data off of. Takes a damn serial connection and stupid software. The scope technically supports live analysis, but since they didn't release a transmission spec, I don't think it's supported host-side. I'd suggest a two-channel one that can save or use better software. They also have USB versions, but one I don't know about long-term support and two it requires a live computer.

They have ones like this: https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Portable-Handheld-Digital-Oscilloscope/dp/B018E636A2/ref=sr_1_20

Also: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SainSmart-DDS120-Portable-Handheld-PC-Based-USB-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope-20-/361495385113?hash=item542acdd419:g:BVsAAOSwDuJWyoUN

Check reviews. The DSO scope has pretty good reviews, for the people who installed the software properly. The DSO scopes seem to be 50V. I got higher X connectors, so I can look at 120V on my DSO112.

That's the limit before you start getting into more expensive ones. Personally I'd want one with a logic analyzer, but I'm EE.

If you want to actually USE the scope, it needs to be two channel. The most common use would be verifying input and output waveforms, and you can only do that with a two-scope.

>>1009580
>analog scope for not that much money
>still $100 or more
>100lb bench supplies
>no saving, no logic, can't even get FFT
>>
>>1009599
Also, a polite sage: If you looked at the bottom of /ohm/, I've already suggested a list of tools. electronics really don't need that much more than normal tools.
>>
>>1009579
I got that scope, it came with broken screen and they dind't want to send me another, since I opened the package etc.

So I just ordered portable one for $100 from amazon. Sometimes the hustle and the chinese are not worth it.
>>
>>1009574
Don't listen to the poorfags. Buy quality stuff like Fluke, Weller, Metcal etc, even if it is second hand. It will all pay off in the long run.
>>
>>1009576
don't forget the screwdrivers (get a security bit set too), and some small snips/pliers are a great help also.
>>
>>1009599
Yes because if you don't have fft you can't do any work at all, the scope is literally useless.

You get what you pay for, cheap digital scopes sent any better tbqh
>>
>>1009615

Because everyone is prepared to drop hundreds or thousands of dollars when starting a new hobby.

For a beginner, I would recommend not even going for a soldering iron initially. Buy a breadboard and some jumper wires. You'll want to get some sort of breadboard power supply, powered from a DC wallet wart or a USB cable. Then get a bunch of basic components. Definitely resistors and capacitors. Depending on what you want to do: transistors, MOSFETs, LEDs, linear regulators, diodes, switches, 555 timers, perhaps microcontrollers. Depending on your interest an arduino or raspberry pi might also be fun. Finally you'll want a cheapy multimeter so you can measure wtf is going on, do get an auto-ranging one or you'll drive yourself mad. Costs 20-40 bucks from China.

This will allow you to dick around a little bit to see if you like it, before you splurge on more expensive kit like soldering iron, oscilloscope and lab power supply.
>>
>>1009574
Until you know what your doing, you need only a shitty 5 dollar multimeter from home depot and some parts. Maybe a breadboard. I doubt you need oscilloscopes and all these fancy tools when you will likely be doing easy and well documented side project type things for a while
>>
Just buy cheap chinese shit off ebay, exept >>1009579 this. Don't buy "oscilloscopes" like this. They are useless.
>>1009697 is right.
>>
>>1009688
>fft
what do you use FFT for?
>>
>>1009730

Fast Fourier Transforms give you the most commonly occurring peaks in a sinusoidal. Handy for vibrations or electricity.
>>
>>1009574
>Hey /diy/, i want to get into electronics, what are some must have tools/hardware?
1. electrons......

>>1009579
>What about cheap oscilloscopes, are they even worth it?
First you should have a NEED for an oscilloscope. For many things they're no help at all.

They are good to have if you are working with audio stuff (hi-fi amps, guitar amps, analog synths) or RF transmitters/receivers. These are projects where it is extremely helpful if you can SEE what a signal waveform is actually doing.
For arduino/digital-type stuff--you prolly don't need one, and won't ever need one.

I don't know if the little DSO 138 kits are useful for any of that or not, I've not used or bought one.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.