[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, Haven't used my TV for a while, need it now. I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: remote digital TV_2.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
remote digital TV_2.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Hi,
Haven't used my TV for a while, need it now. I have a problem with the remote. All the keys I've used regularly work, but I need the "OK" key and it doesn't work.

Here is a pic a the remote's circuit. Green : functioning key. Red : out of order key.
Already googl'd and shit, so I tried,
- use a pencil to add graphite (conductor) both on the circuit and the key, didn't work
- desperate solution from a completely opposite theory : clean with alcohol (...). Obviously didn't work.

Any ideas with daily life tools? Or what should I buy to fix this?

Also, I have a 2011 Nokia phone with bluetooth, also a laptop with bluetooth. I know I could teach the "OK" key to another device understanding infrared. But the key is broken. Any idea on how to guess a broken key, so I could use another device to stroke "OK" in my TV's menus?

PS : I already know about the "hack" where you can see the infrared through your digital camera screen. No signal for the OK key. (so the remote *is* the culprit, not the TV)

thanks.
>>
File: 51T%2BRdokTkL.jpg (50 KB, 258x500) Image search: [Google]
51T%2BRdokTkL.jpg
50 KB, 258x500
with more research, it seems I'll have to buy conductive carbon coating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAu_GtdSPQ
https://www.amazon.com/Caig-BCG327782-Caikote-44-Kit/dp/B00E1QYYC4

had to buy a TV adapter when they changed airwave TV to digital
and now they're switching to digital + HD, I want my OK button to try a channels search before having to buy another adapter for HD digital
>>
>>1008791

Why assume the contacts are the problem? The only way they'd become non-functional is if they got coated in something (like spilled drink) or just got worn off outright. They look to be in good condition and you already cleaned them, so it's likely an issue elsewhere.
>>
>>1008827
the problem is with the buttons I use the least, so maybe oxydation? (didn't spill anything)
I'd say oxydation + by cleaning I probably removed the carbon coating
yes the problem could be elsewhere, but most buttons work, so that discards a lot of suspects. Maybe the circuit is broken (I tried to push the button very hard), but I don't see any cut with the naked eye.
>>
>>1008791
what is that thing in the blue circles? glue? clean that up, then simulate a button press using the test pads in pink (a piece of wire is enough) and see if the offending button works this way. if it does then you might need that carbon coating, but from the looks of it the contacts seem rather fine
gl
>>
File: 1465947896426.jpg (141 KB, 561x1920) Image search: [Google]
1465947896426.jpg
141 KB, 561x1920
>>1008843
>>1008791
fuck, forgot pic related
>>
>>1008843
>>1008845
>what is that thing in the blue circles? glue? clean that up
yes it's dirty, I didn't really notice this. To the eye it's green, reminds me of a chemical reaction with used batteries. (current batteries are fine).
I'm cleaning this.

What do you mean "test pads in pink" ? I have a voltmeter that itself needs some welding. Not sure I have wire. What I did was try to close the circuit for "OK" with another pad, it didn't work.
doing the cleaning, then I'll have to go
>>
>>1008836

Carbon black/graphite doesn't oxidize; it'd be useless as a contact material if it did. You'd need something far stronger than alcohol to dissolve the conductive material and binder in the contacts.

Honestly, the contacts are the last thing I would suspect if they weren't obviously damaged and had already been cleaned. They simply do not fail any other way than overuse, damage, or dirt/grime, all of which are obvious from just a visual inspection. It's much more likely to be a problem with either what limited supporting circuitry is attached to them, or with the chip under that blob of epoxy. If it's the former, you might be able to fix it, but I'd guess it's the latter, in which case you're fucked.
>>
>>1008859
connect the pad, whos traces go to the offending button, together and see if the button works this way (you might need to hold the batteries onto the pcb with some tape or something)
if its green and easily cleanable it might be acid that leaked from previous batteries. that acid might have corroded the traces for that button, so if it doesnt work with the wire patch worded above the traces are bust and you might need to solder in the gap
>>
>>1008860
>>1008872
Yes you may be right... I have wire but can't find it, but with working buttons I can close the circuit with a screwdriver (the OK button is just larger). I guess this should work too with the offending button.
So the other track would be that the "up" button, right above, doesn't work either.
So yeah the problem might be somewhere else.

>connect the pad, whos traces go to the offending button, together and see if the button works this way
good idea, gotta go now but I'll try this tomorrow.
Else I'll go for less elegant solutions, it's just a remote.

Thanks a lot for your input.
>>
>>1008821
>$17 for something that might not fix it
Cheaper to buy a new remote.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.