[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
96 chevy s10 troubelshooting, a/c only blows through defrost
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: untitled.png (102 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
102 KB, 240x180
My 96 chevy s10 is a 2.2l 4cylinder. The A/C blows cold and hot but it only will blow through the defrost and leg vents. It does this on all setting, except when I turn it off.

I live in southern Louisiana. I need my a/c.
Would /diy/ help me diagnose and fix what is wrong. it feels like it will be a simple fix.
>>
There is a little gate that is controlled by a motor that allows the flow of air, it's pretty basic, getting to it however is not. It means disassembly of the dash, that's plastic and brittle from 2 decades of sun and heat.

Or maybe that gate is for the heater core? it's been 10 years since I did anything like this on a car.
>>
http://sparkys-answers.com/2011/11/1996-chevrolet-s10-air-blows-out-of.html
>>
>>1008729
Your vents are vacuum controlled. If moving the control doesnt flip the gates, you probably have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Has it started to idle shitty or anything like that?

Also, reminder to replace that fucking coolant. Those 2.2ls last forever, as long as you keep the coolant clean. Especially with a 94-97, had finicky heads that liked to blow gaskets.
>>
>>1008793

Alrighty if I have a vaccum leak, where should I look for it. How can I find where the leak is. It does make a racket, like metal clanging together, but I believe that to be due to the fact that when I got it the oil was low and might've damaged it slightly. However, The racket does get louder when I turn the a/c on.

And thanks for the reminder, I do need to get on that. What kind of coolant did these take? I don't have the owners manual anymore.
>>
Thanks /diy/ ! I found the problem. it was a vaccum leak. 2 hoses had popped out of connection. one connected to the vaccum reservoir and the other attatched to the hood close to the window. reconnected them. will probably need to get something to bind them there better,

Thanks for the help!
>>
>>1008887
use small zip ties on the ends like hose clamps, should stop them from popping off
>>
>>1008890

perfect idea.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.