[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /diy/. Does anyone have any experience with eink displa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Sup /diy/.

Does anyone have any experience with eink display drivers? Can you run them from USB, VGA or HDMI? I want to make a secondary reading display for my laptop.

http://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/b/bns-solutions/e-ink-quick-start-kit?WT.z_Tab_Cat=New%2520Products

Can you plug any display matrix in this controller?
>>
https://www.visionect.com/product/development-kit-with-133-e-ink-display/2

Prob more what you need - at $2k for the 13.3" Dev Kit linked, or 5k for a 32", slightly more expensive than the $70 for your original. But $70 is not cheap if it dont work either, it looks like a 4 y.o. limited segment controller only - doubt will do what you want.

Someone who knows this stuff maybe have better idea tho, I dont.
>>
>>1006457
Thanks.

Could you maybe wire up the board directly to the VGA pins and drive it from a laptop with a software solution?
>>
>>1006457
Presumably the cost is in the embedded board + support + software license.
$2000 or $5000 for a display, even if it were 80% of the cost, would be excessive and pretty much guarantee that no one will ever do a volume order.
>>
>>1006457
2k is way over budget. I'd get a used kindle for 50€ and be done with it. But since there are replacement screens for kindles for 20 bucks, why not hot-glue it to the laptop and plug in.
>>
>>1006461
Are actually aware that the e-ink display is not using open-LDI over LVDS or eDP like TFT LCDs for laptops do?
You can't just plug-and-play it into whatever you desire.

This shit is not standardised or publicly available, so you'd have to reverse engineer the protocol, which is a pain in the butt and requires a logic analyser or at the very least a nice 4-channel o-scope.
THEN you'd have to come up with a way to connect it to a PC.
Judging by your answer, you know next to nothing about this shit.

I'd suggest you look into hooking up a Retina display to a PC, way easier to do and more practical as well.
eDP (which the retina displays use) and DP are electrically and data-compatible, all you have to do is give it juice and control data.
>>
>>1006459
no you can't, those are a special type of display, slow to update and need to retain the data so you can see anything in it
just like >>1006570 said, its mostly custom solutions. and getting an ipad display connected to an dp input is easy as fuck, check youtube
>http://dp2retina.rozsnyo.com/
>>
>>1006570
I'm aware that you can't plug and play. I'm asking if maybe I could solder those wires to a VGA connector and write a program to drive the display trough those VGA connections. Or is VGA just capable of pulse signals? This is what I'm asking.
>>
>>1006444
Rate of display is slow as fuck, forget the HDMI and VGA.
>>
>>1006647
Maybe, but you need to figure out the protocol first. With VGA you control most of the waveform but who knows what's going on in the blanking period.
>>
test
>>
you will not be able to use vga or hdmi without writing your own intermediate buffer to convert the signals

its going to be easier to write your own shit desu. just a usb -> X*Y buffer then a pulse to flush it to the screen.
>>
>>1007951
that being said, it's that easy ONCE you know the protocal that the screen uses.

like others have said,it's locked down.

talk to eink for a devkit
>>
>>1006444
For you, It would be easier just to get one of the older ereaders that ran android and root it. Then run a remote desktop or get an app that can turn it into a secondary screen that uses USB.

Plus it will be way cheaper.
>>
Whatever you put on it would like kinda shit without the fancy instant typesetting software ereaders have.
>>
>>1007993
>Instant
They just render the next page in RAM whilst you're reading and then blit it when you press the button.

The screen is only 1080p/4-bit; that's less than a meg per page.
>>
>>1007917
>slow as fuck
Not so much anymore, but I agree on the interfaces.
Forget about HDMI.
VGA altough is a neat standard, but USB is better for this application.

Here's what'd get: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9DbdaPQyLY

It occurred to me that for text-only terminals, e-ink would be great to experiment. Especially for displaying slow-moving log files with the persistence and all.
>>
>>1009541
youd srsly pay $950 for that, AFTER watching that video? Problem with the whole Kickstarter/gfme generation, before, you'd have to give away test stuff that wasnt ready, or wait till it was half-finished at least. Now, its a selling point - THIS BE EXPENSIVE, FUCKED and entirely unFINISHED, MAY NEVER BE WORK / FINISHED / or even fucking DELIVERED - BUY NOW!
>>
>>1009555
No, no one would buy this piece of shit.
Stop implying you little shit.

What I was referring to is using an e-ink display from a used kindle or some shit for text-based purposes.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.