[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wood sealing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (43 KB, 313x470) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
43 KB, 313x470
Sup /diy/ because the internet is full of conflicting information I need some advice on the best sealers for wood under a few different circstances.

1) pine shelf in the kitchen, will have the kettle and microwave under it so steam will be an issue

2) putting a jarrah fence in the backyard. I've never bothered to put sealer on a fence before but the internet recommens it. Is it worth doing?

3) pine planter boxes, wasn't going to but again the internet recommends it

What's your advice /diy/ and is there a is there a good reference site for this type of thing?
>>
>>1006411
2 pack polyurethane is about as tough as it gets and will protect pine very well.
For the Jarrah, its pretty damn tough to begin with against bugs and rot- so its a bit of a much-a-much if you think its worth it. I reckon decking oil could be ok if you're after something decorative but with fences that's a lot of work.
>>
>>1006413
Thanks mate, what are some good wood work websites that cover all the basic stuff?
>>
>>1006994
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=woodworking+basics
You could have just done some basic googling.
>>
>>1006996
I did, but found conflicting information form different sites irritating so I asked
>>
>>1006997
Watch people do it on the jewtoobz.
https://makesomething.tv/best-woodworking-youtube-channels should point you in the right direction.
>>
>>1006411
I personally like lacquer for shelves, or a varnish oil like in thirds boiled linseed oil/mineral spirits/polyurethane. I wouldn't use lacquer next to steam cause it could make it cloudy, and I wouldn't use that particular blend in a kitchen because muh heavy metals.

I would use a uv resistant spar varnish for a fence, but for me that's for appearances mostly, keep the wood looking good, and the protection it gives is just a nice bonus.

Pine planter boxes, well, people are very divided on them. Mostly all the arguments are valid. If you're going to keep dirt in there in contact with the wood you need something in between it and the wood or it'll rot quickly. A plastic sheet might help, but it also might help condensation form in between the wood and plastic(plastic cooled by the dirt on a humid summer morning). It likely won't rot the wood as fast as direct contact to dirt would, but it'll probably allow for mold to develop. 2 other options are pressure treated wood, and a varnish. Are you planting something you'll be eating, or just flowers? If you're not going to eat what your growing either will probably work well and be safe. If it's something you're going to eat, it may or may not allow the soil to get contaminated by the chemicals in the wood or varnish. It's more of a risk for the porous wood to allow toxins to seep into the soil than the solvent based varnish that cures entirely. Honestly, there doesn't seem to be enough research done on this topic.
>>
>>1007081
For the planter boxes, what I'd do. Not growing food, polyurethane. Planter boxes at the edge of the property or a a raised flower bed, pressure treated. Growing food, general finishes salad bowl finish or paste wax on the inside, poly on the outside. Both of the inside finishes aren't designed to be used in those enviroments, and would likely need to be recoated every year as well as not allowing the wood to last as long as a proper varnish.

And, I could be wrong, there may be no health hazard at all with the planter boxes, but I don't want to find out in 20 years that someone found a link between it and some disease.

Also, I didn't say what I'd do for that kitchen shelf. Poly, but I'd thin it and spray it, if you don't have a spray gun you can thin it and wipe it. Easier to get a level surface, and prevents you from putting thick coats on.
>>
>>1006994
I find a lot of use for this site when just figuring out what kind of timbers to use- based on looks, use, ability to be worked, hardness etc
http://www.wood-database.com/

Sort of been doing carpentry and mechanical things for ages though so don't really have a lot of ideas for anything else, youtube I find kind of hit-miss with the recommendations I see there- lot of hacks, bullshit and half-ass craftsmen. Couple are ok, but a lot of it is shit.

>>1007082
Polyurethane is pretty stable, its literally the same stuff your milk bottles and food containers are made out of just with some high density plasticisers in the mix.
Just with outdoor things, UV stability (or lack thereof) is generally what kills it pretty quick. House paint is often the easiest way of making things last
>>
>>1006411
I would remove the shelf and apply flex seal (outside because fumes). For a fence I would use a standard thompson seal, it's never ever ever let me down (http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/home). Pine planters I would again use flex seal on the outside only, inside I would just glue some plastic and cover with dirt
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.