[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello! Im making my own body armor just for fun. Im using lots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: 20160609_164627.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160609_164627.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
Hello! Im making my own body armor just for fun. Im using lots of duck tape, paper, shirts and i will also add ceramic squares to it. Any ideas for what i should use for it to stop a 308 win. ammunition?
>>
>>1006042
Your face. This shit is fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>1006047
ive tested it so far. You wouldnt believe how strong it actually is...and thsi is just for fun.
>>
Lamellar or Banded style armor.

consider making this out of cardboard covered in duct tape for slashing protection. Then use a huge needed and sew in some pockets for the plates.

I made a suit with aluminum can inside of cardboard then two layers of duct tape. Was very very strong vs slashing/pierce unless you had a stiletto and full bodyweight behind it.

Easy to move in too. I don't know wtf you are making.

It took about a day to make chest/arm/groin protection using larger strips. Could jump, climb and roll. Would have been sweet but obviously look goofy.
>>
>>1006042
only thing that will stop a rifle round is a class III plate.

there is a reason rifles stopped the use of body armor.

Maybe once there is a powered exoskeleton we can have it again
>>
File: (cant wake up).png (150 KB, 356x319) Image search: [Google]
(cant wake up).png
150 KB, 356x319
you should test if it protects against digesting cyanide.
>>
that wont stop any bullet
The cloth will do almost nothing to the bullet, and the ceramic plates will just break it apart, but it is going to hit you anyway
You should add steel to it.

A 1/8" high carbon steel (like AISI 52100) annealed would do the job. If it has been hardened the plate will break like glass.

Glue the ceramic plates in the steel plate, and then add lots of epoxy layers.
Keep adding epoxy till it reaches about 2 mm.

Good luck. anão.
>>
mine does look like shit, and its purpous is not to protect me but to have fun with it. Im not that fimiliar with body armor thats why i asked what materials i should use. I did get some information from you guys.
>>1006056
>>1006062
>>1006055
tnx
>>
>>1006068

No problem but it is such a common topic a general google search would offer a shit ton of information you could research and make a decision on.

Kind of weird you did not do that first, then after you are 50% through come here with a question
>>
File: 40rmha.jpg (36 KB, 512x356) Image search: [Google]
40rmha.jpg
36 KB, 512x356
>>
>>1006087
oh fuck off. At least OP is friendly and not an annoying /v/edditor like yourself
>>
>>1006056
> he doesn't use titanium plate armor
LOL
>>
>>1006068
There are worse threads out there, the only problem I can really see is that you didn't do any research. But at least you taped some shirts together, that's further than most people asking "How do?" get.
>>
>>1006117
OP is likely underage and an idiot

junk like this bumps off threads that actually have some worth

>"duck tape" is a dead giveaway
>>
File: 1461259779338.jpg (135 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1461259779338.jpg
135 KB, 600x600
Hope you catch lead.
>>
>>1006189
Please find a hobby.
>>
>>1006166
>"duck tape" is a dead giveaway
Let's not start that again. It started as duck tape, evolved into duct tape, and now there's Duck brand duct tape. Both are correct.

The rest of your post falls into the category "one man's board culture is another man's shitpost" -- at least it's not another pallet/ISO container/arduino thread.
>>
>>1006214
>Please find a hobby.
I think his hobby is DIY bingo. He doesn't seem to be filling out the cards though. I wonder if his screen has a bunch of red ink circles all over it.
>>
>>1006124

I know this was a joke, but titanium makes terrible armour. It's so flexible that the sheet bends in all the way and breaks your bones.
>>
>>1006056
You do realize ceramics can stop a .308 right? And how plate carriers are still a thing and are used in every form of LE or military?
>>
>>1006233
underrated
>>
>>1006233
ha
>>
Why arent you using kevlar?
>>
>>1006058
Ingesting, you fucking moron
>>
File: photo_2016-06-15_10-11-39.jpg (125 KB, 969x1280) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-06-15_10-11-39.jpg
125 KB, 969x1280
Glue a thick piece of titanium to a T-shirt, it will stop everything. Picture related, piece of pure titanium on a T-shirt.
>>
>>1008996
That's one expensive piece of body armor.
>>
>>1006166
>The ironing in this post is unreal

It is duck tape. Shit sucks on ducts and if you use it on ducts, you're a fucking joke.
>>
>>1006247
unrelated to thread, but on the note of titanium, but you should see what happens to the "bathtub" Armour fighter jet cockpits employ when hit by HV ammo.

the titanium has been know to deform so drastically that it forms a "spear" that kills the pilot. fucking insane.
>>
get pieces of bullet proof glass and drill through them, then latch fabric through the holes
>>
Why you dont use simple kevlar composite?
>>
>>1006042
dude, you realize that a multiply woven sheet of fiberglass qualifies up to class 7 at 1 3/8" thickness, right? put some 1045 on the front of that, or some SAPI plates off ebay, and you've got better armour than most of our troops carry.

seriously, if you're gonna DIY, do some bloody research first.
>>
>>1009006
this. The only dickhead i've ever met that was actually anal about calling it "duct" tape was the one person I know that's least ;likely to actually use it. everyone calls it "duck" tape.
>>
>Expecting knives
Gun.

>Expecting clubs
Gun.

>Expecting bullets
NIJ IIIa soft plates + Gun.

>Expecting explosives
GTFO!

DO.
SOME.
RESEARCH.
>>
>>1009180
>everyone calls it "duck" tape
no
>>
>>1006042
The cops will assume its a home made suicide vest and head shot you as soon as your more than 50 ft away from anyone.
>>
>>1006232
>It started as duck tape, evolved into duct tape
No, there was never "duck" tape. confused with duck cloth with adhesive and company Duck® Brand: Duct Tape
>>
>>1006042
Half inch of steel plate
>>
File: old armor idea.png (2 MB, 1194x1452) Image search: [Google]
old armor idea.png
2 MB, 1194x1452
promise you won't test it on a live target
>>
File: Dragonskin.jpg (1 MB, 2680x4876) Image search: [Google]
Dragonskin.jpg
1 MB, 2680x4876
>>1009916
>why it has to be lamellar going both directions
>>
>>1009916
>>1009918
Soft body armor without being able to go with the military grade stuff. EVERYTHING will fade away with use, and fiberglass is a hazardous material near anything living. Everything will disintegrate with long term use unless sealed in some type of glue. Go pro with it. Use a wire clamp method instead of a constant wire going past everything. Whatever you need to do with it just don't test the fucking thing with anyone living at risk. There's no spall protection. (if you don't know what spall is, FUCKING GOOGLE IT HARDCORE NOW)
>>
>>1006042
Op I disagree, that isn't building or making its wrapping stuff in tape.
>>
>>1006062
fuck off biga
>>
>>1006042

>Wants to stop .308 ammo
>Duct tape
>Paper
>Ceramic squares
laughingwhores.jpg

Boron carbide ceramics or AR500 you dumb nigger.
>>
>>1009006
"duck" tape from the DCKW that it was used to repair _AND_ "duct" from the fact that it was used to repair DUCTs!
the pair of you, fuck off
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.