[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you do to keep your funnels clean? 1. An oily funnel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Motor_oil_refill_with_funnel.jpg (591 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Motor_oil_refill_with_funnel.jpg
591 KB, 2048x1536
What do you do to keep your funnels clean?

1. An oily funnel left out in the open will collect dust and become unsuitable for funneling clean fluids into a vehicle.

2. I simply cannot be bothered with taking a used funnel to my kitchen sink so I can scrub it clean and pack it away.

3. This always results in me discovering the nasty funnel on oil change day, and having to scrub it clean anyways.

Should I just chuck a clean but oily funnel right into a clean ziploc bag after use, letting it stay oily but dust free? What is the best solution?
>>
I generally use the rag I used to clean up everything else with, then I wash the rag, and my hands.
>>
i dont use a funnel i just pore it in
>>
>>1004834
I hit 'em with carb cleaner after my oil change, or slosh them in my wash bucket which I keep full of strong detergent solution for hand cleaning. (When done I pour it on fire ant mounds, the soap permeates the mound and they don't come back.)

I also use spray cleaners like Awesome or Simple Green.
>>
>>1004834
I have two funnels, one for gasoline, and one for oil, the one for oil is small [I use it on my motorcycles] and I keep it in a gallon baggie. Wiping the inside with a towel/papertowel is good enough to stop the oil drips. my other funnel is my coolant, and gasoline funnel [bought it for gasoline] its a larger funnel, and I either rinse it with a bit of hose water, or just hang it off the back of my bike, the wind will blow out any of the extra fluids, and doesn't get sticky like an oil funnel.

my bike eats oil, its just the belly of the beast when you're running oil cooled engines. its like radial engines, if its not burning oil. its burning something else.
>>
I use starting fluid + paper.
>>
>>1004838
more like you spill it
>>
>>1004839
Does your grass come back?
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 450x450
Non-chlorinated brake part cleaner

It's a de-greaser used for removing any brake fluid from your rotars, calipers, etc. after doing a brake job. Available at Auto Zone, Walmart, Advanced Auto, Oriley's, etc. All you gotta do is take the funnel to the yard and spray it down. It thins out the oil until it eventually all falls off, and since its non chlorinated any left over brake part cleaner evaporates in about ten seconds or less. No need to use a rag or anything. It also takes the oil off your hands while you spray so that's nice, helps you clean up faster. It'll burn your hands by drying them out if you spray too long so just be prepared to wash your hands after. Whole process takes about 60 seconds and is very clean. No oil left on the funnel so you can store it anywhere you want when done. Also since it evaporates quickly after you spray it no rags are necessary so cleanup is a breeze.

Side note don't get "chlorinated" brake part cleaner because that stuff doesn't evaporate, it just stays liquid and you have to wipe it off.
>>
>>1004834
You have an oil filter for a reason
I wipe the funnel when im done using it with a rag. I wipe the funnel again when im ready to use it again, with nothing but a dry rag. Its not going to hurt anything.
>>
>>1004896
this
>>
I give mine a quick wash and wipe with kerosene.
>>
>>1004896
Yeah, cool, but I'd rather not pour dirt into my car's engine nonetheless.
>>
>>1004908
then do this
>>1004875

This is literally the cleanest easiest way to deal with it
>>
I just keep it in a bucket in garage till next oil change. Wipe it down thoroughly before I use it next. Gets rid of any dust layers. All this shit is overkill unless you have grime literally caked on it but if that's the case, buy new one.

Just keep dedicated funnel for each fluid. Bad things can happen if you accidentally contaminate it with other chemicals.
>>
>>1004834
Paper towel. I like those thick blue shop ones. Fuck lint.
>>
>>1004834
I just wipe it down with paper towels and then use those as fire starters in the winter or I will take the oily towel and wipe down the garden tools or anything else that needs protection.
>>
I steal paper funnels from the gas station everytime i get gas. Then throw them away or burn them...
>>
>>1005219
Gas=petrol for you urofags
>>
>>1004864
git gud
>>
I use a paper towel to wipe it clean and then throw it in a plastic shopping bag and keep it in trunk.
>>
>>1004834
run it through the dishwasher
>>
I gather none of you drink much soda - I usually cut the top off the bottle I'm drinking after I'm finished, dry it with a paper towel, and throw it away after I fill the oil/gasoline.
>>
>>1005481
That's a good way to reuse plastic bottles. Will recyclers accept the cut up plastic bottles with oil residue on them? Pretty much everything I buy comes in a glass or paper container.
>>
>>1005498
It's probably not the worst thing they've ever dealt with

Not to be that guy but oil is sold in plastic recyclable containers
>>
>>1004834
thankfully in that picture, the oil is being poured out of the oil bottle the proper way.

Even on a TV ad for oil, I once saw they were pouring it from the spout side- glug-glug-glug
>>
File: 4609327233_c0b3657f74_b[1].jpg (295 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
4609327233_c0b3657f74_b[1].jpg
295 KB, 1024x768
>>1005569
>I once saw they were pouring it from the spout side- glug-glug-glug

Shit, homie. I uncap, put my thumb over the spout and just shove that bitch into the valve cover. That way I can open up another bottle while it's glug-glugging away. The only thing I use a funnel for is power steering fluid. I just wipe it with a paper towel and throw it away.
>>
>>1005601
That's how I do it except. I open all that quarts first. I then shove it into the oil fill and stab the bottom of the bottle with a knife.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.