[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With a homemade metal foundry to melt shit and other needed tools,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
With a homemade metal foundry to melt shit and other needed tools, what can be done with metal (as a hobby/for fun) that doesn't involve making gay ninja blades and useless knives?
>>
Forge a dildo.

Or learn how to weld and make useful things.

Or just make cast iron skillets or engine blocks
>>
>>1004745
Iron skillet, nigr

That's actually a great idea

What about making tools
>>
>>1004747
>tools
Hammerhead maybe?
Or an axehead?
Try making some nails?
Door hinges?

Basically, simple shit just to see if youre able to make it.
>>
That kind of forge will only melt aluminum (or lower melting points).

Look at his arc forge to melt steel, but not much at a time at all.
>>
>>1004751
Yea I saw that. Making it too. Would propane in the forge melt other metals?
>>
>>1004743
You could make a useful knife...
>>
File: cute_knife_by_the5thfiend.jpg (7 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
cute_knife_by_the5thfiend.jpg
7 KB, 300x300
>>1004743
you coud make a cute knife
>or gun parts
>AR-Full auto Trigergroup
>>
File: ..png (72 KB, 978x264) Image search: [Google]
..png
72 KB, 978x264
>>1004890
>>
>>1004743
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGZg45dGXA&list=PL9d6LkFNP1fGjdW2RxqSHdSO9D1FEl36c&index=1
>>
>>1004743
How about a nice ninja blade?
>>
File: 2974847784789789487784789.jpg (9 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
2974847784789789487784789.jpg
9 KB, 205x246
You could do these with a very low melting point metal.
>>
>>1004890
The trigger group is generally legal to own--the lower reciever to accept it is the controlled item. If you have the ability to cast lower recievers and machine them to accept a full auto lower parts kit, you also have the ability to just machine a normal AR lower and install the parts.

Casting your own gun parts might be fun, but never expect to save money or make something better than what is already available.
>>
>>1005942
If you've got a mill, you can make a receiver out of a block of aluminum. Just keep your mouth shut and nobody will ever know.
>>
>>1004762
Yeah, you can melt steel with a propane forge. But you'll need it to be well insulated, you'll need (a) burner(s) that put out enough BTUs for the volume of your forge, and you'll most likely need some ITC-100 to get those temperatures unless you nail it on everything else
>>
>>1005913
They make a "waxy" filament for 3d printers now intended for lost wax casting. Print custom minis. Cast in plaster. Melt the wax out. Insert aluminum. Kill Mind Flayers. Fuck bitches.
>>
>>1004750
Wouldn't even think of making a hammer unless you want it to explode in your face.
>>
>>1004743
You can also cast brass knuckles, and pretty much anything else you want.
>>
>>1004743
You can make literally anything, if that's limited to gay ninja blades and useless knives blame your own weak imagination.
>>
>>1006145
I'll make human life if I can make anything
>>
>>1006133
Time to become hired muscle and beat people for money. I think I'll make brass knuckles
>>
>>1004743
I've been wanting to make one and do a lost foam type cast of 3d prints. Haven't yet because i dont feel like buying the required safety gear until i start my job.
>>
>>1004743
Learn how to do sand casting. Make some multi-cavity molds of kitchen/house drawer hardware. Invent some gay backstory. Make an assload of money. P.S. you'll need a mill or drill press to drill and tap the hardware consistently.
>>
You could do loat wax casting, thats pretty neat stuff, specially with copper.

You could try making bronze too.
>>
>>1006113
if you print with abs and dont do much infill you can do a lost foam fast with that. Not as high quality of a result as a good plaster cast but definitely faster/easier.
>>
>>1006113

Eh, if you're just casting pewter and the like, you don't really need a foundry, and you don't need to cast in plaster either. RTV Silicone can take the heat. (~465F)
>>
>>1007716
>I've been wanting to make one and do a lost foam type cast of 3d prints. Haven't yet because i dont feel like buying the required safety gear until i start my job.
Required by whom? Gloves, jeans, and closed toe shoes have always been enough for me, and I use a pretty big crucible (4x6x12 inches). The best PPE is your brain.
>>
>>1008135
id want some actual work boots rather than the cloth and synthetic shoes i have. Id also wouldn't mind a leather apron in case of boiling. Since im also in need of some decent gloves i just havent felt like spending the money. I also didnt have many cans for melting so i figured just wait and accru some scrap
>>
You can try forging a cure for Parkinson's and Alzheimer's because hot metal fumes.
>>
>>1008256
and as >>1008287 points out a good resperator
>>
>>1008287
Do you have any evidence that this happens? I don't think any metals in common aluminum alloys vaporize at low enough temperatures for fumes to even be an issue. The only things I can think of are possibly the zinc burning off if there's enough present (which worst case gives you metal fume fever, but the smoke would be an obvious signal to back away) and plastic burning off of cans. I've cast quite a lot of aluminum using an open pit foundry, and haven't noticed any neurological effects. I know there was one study that linked alzheimers to aluminum accumulation in the brain, but as far as I know they were unable to determine if the aluminum was the cause or the effect. It seems unlikely to be causative, IMO, due to aluminum oxidizing immediately in air and aluminum oxide being extremely common and inert.
>>
>>1008287

>>>/x/
>>
>>1004743
Not a lot which is why I haven't bothered with it. I could make a foundry easily but it would just sit because I'm not an artist. The effort is more usefully spent in many ways.

Most machine shops long ago had foundries but casting requires MACHINING to be useful. Welded construction killed off ubiquitous small foundries. Castings suck to repair while it's fairly easy to make and repair machines made from weldments.

You could cast decorative items, ash trays, goblets, cannabis pipes and whatnot.
>>
>>1008633
>cannabis pipes
i would not recommend smoking anything out of aluminum anything but the rest of the post is valid.
>>
>>1004743
Make jewelry. Its low volume and only as difficult and time consuming as you want to make it.
>>
>>1008799
>aluminum jewelry
Real classy and silver and other valuable metals would be pretty costly.
>>
>>1008807
lol, when did I say aluminium? Srs, if you cant afford a little bit of silver to fuck around with once a month, you need to get off the neet lyfe and find a job.
>>
you can use it to cast and then post process with a CNC or a manual machining equipment I am looking in to that
>>
>>1008837
This is what i want to do but im not sure what mini mill to get. Would like to be able to make some good lightsaber hilts
>>
>>1004743
Make a gingery mill
>>
Build nigger shackles
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.