[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I attached about 4000 books to my living room wall and c
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: bGWEINs.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
bGWEINs.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>I attached about 4000 books to my living room wall and ceiling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/4mqaio/i_attached_about_4000_books_to_my_living_room/
>>
>>1004453
I like the wall but I'm not so sure about the ceiling, how are they held there?
>>
>I own books I'll never ever read
fucking dumb fuck.
>>
>>1004453
what a waste, the books look like they will collect a lot of dust and you cant even read them.
This is a stupid idea. If you use bad books make it seem like you read that shit, If you use good books it is sad that you destroyed them.

How are you going to clean your floor without the books getting wet you should have put a baseboard
How stupid are you.

Besides why are there 6 twilight books in there. I would not want that on my bookshelf and you put it on your wall. How did you even get these books?
>>
>>1004467
Even worse paper degrades over time, sunlight and ambient moisture will slowly attack the paper and the printing on the cover making them fade and droop, also there are insects that fucking love old books to burrow in, it's a cool concept but it will bite you in the ass over time.

Also it's a horrible fire risk with that TV mounted right next to it.
>>
>>1004453
This is giving me ideas. I made the recessed bookshelves thread and want to line the back of the shelves with something intersting. I was going to line it with wood flooring/bamboo/stone wall or some shit.
>>
>>1004471
What!?, you are going to line the back of the bookshelf with more books?!... bookception?
>>
>>1004477
The dollar store books maybe? But no.
>>
>>1004480
Even at a dollar a book that is still going to cost a lot, better to go to flea markets and buy whole boxes of books.

What were you planning on lining the shelves in then?
>>
>>1004485
I really want to line it with wood or a thin stone wall, something natual looking.

Regular paint looks too boring.
>>
Can u pluck out a book to read it? Its not a good look at all and very distracting
>>
>>1004453
>redshit

man that would go up in flames so quickly. i hope his insurance finds out and jacks up his rate
>>
>>1004453
>http://imgur.com/a/CtM4k
>get 4000 books
>proceed to make a wall of books that where never read by op
>cut some with a circular saw so they fit well together
>nail them with 18 gauge nails so they dont budge
>totally forget about humidity and bugs ruining the books
>ruined books just hang there
gee op, i sure hope that shit doesnt fall on top of you or your other shit
>tfw those books shredded and properly sprayed with some paper treatment/sealant would have made a good wall insulation
>mfw op thinks this is aesthetically and functionally better
>mfw i have no face, just a lot of books nailed togheter
>>
File: stick rail.jpg (11 KB, 236x177) Image search: [Google]
stick rail.jpg
11 KB, 236x177
>>1004487
About five years ago I saw a bookcase made from sticks (sounds crap I know but it was in fact awesome), the frame was made from normal lumber you'd use to make furniture with but the side and back were lined with sticks set into a dado running in the top and bottom of the frame.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=twig+and+stick+furniture&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjO6ZCxy5PNAhXKC8AKHdNlDIQQ_AUICCgC&biw=1920&bih=911

Picture vaguely related, best I could find.
>>
>>1004453
>>1004496
oh and btw, that looks like about 800 canadian pesos worth of books (judging by the rates at which the """sponsor""" quotes on the site)
jesus christ op, you could buy so much better shit with that kind of money.
these contemporary art fags and their idiotic ideas...
>>
File: Horrible Idea.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Horrible Idea.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1004453
Retard detected!!
>>
>>1004502
Power outlets amongst all those books, are you fucking kidding me!
>>
>>1004453
that's probably about 1.5 tons of book hanging off drywall and plaster. would not sit near.
>>
>>1004499
You're onto something. I really wanted to do something like bamboo, but that looks very interesting.

I have a wooded area behind my house that I chopped down some trees and shit for firewood(still lying there) might go ahead and make use of that wood.
>>
>>1004461
The kicker is the flatscreen. Who needs a million books when you have one big fucken tv.
>>
>>1004502
Oh fuck, I thought the person had cut most of the books off and just left the spines and then applied them to the wall...the fact that it's the whole book, Jesus Christ that's even dumber, good job removing a good couple square meters from your room for something that looks terrible and is going to fall the fuck apart sooner than usual

>all these people complaining about ruining books
You realise these things are printed on mass right? You don't have to worry about destroying knowledge in this day and age where things are duplicated a million times over. if they were old first editions sure, they all like shitty novels to me. We don't live in the dark ages where books had to be copied out by hand to duplicate them.
>>
I'd just rather shelves with 4000 books... that I could like, read and shit
>>
>>1004522
The thing that got me was the power outlets are now surrounded by highly flammable material, I would not feel safe to plug anything into those outlets now, and I'd never want to walk away from anything that was.
>>
>>1004525
Nah it's fine, just drench the books in some kerosine and plug in some old toasters.
>>
>>1004525
because in a typical wood frame wall they aren't surrounded by flammable material.

if it were just the wall that might be something 'different' or novel (pun intended) but to bring it to the ceiling is just overkill.

and yes it looks like its mostly crappy paperback self help and 'dummies guide to' type books. not nicely bound books.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.