[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My friend is trying to make a patio and is maybe a rerard. i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: S60605-173048.jpg (319 KB, 716x581) Image search: [Google]
S60605-173048.jpg
319 KB, 716x581
My friend is trying to make a patio and is maybe a rerard. i helped him dig it out today, and now that we have a 10x12patch of dirt i asked himwhat the next step was. He doesnt know.

Is it ok to go landscape fabric, then a few inches of rock, then pavers? Would this be fucked in a couple years?

Pic is kindof the look hes going for, 12" or 18" squares with a few inches of pebble in between
>>
>>1004185
if you live in an area that freezes then you need to dig deeper (18-24 inches) and fill it in with gravel. Then you level it with paver sand, put the bricks on top of the level sand and fill the gaps. make your pavers meet level with the sod to ensure they don't shift much.
>>
>>1004190
Theres zero chance he will dig that deep. What happens if its only 6" deep in an area that freezes? Thats the main thing i cant find of google
>>
File: badpavers.jpg (11 KB, 180x131) Image search: [Google]
badpavers.jpg
11 KB, 180x131
>>1004197
Every winter the bricks will shift and pop up/sink more and more
>>
>>1004197
Frost heave.

It depends on where you live though. If you are in Michigan you gotta go halfway to China. If its just a little California frost, that only lasts overnight then don't worry about it.
>>
>>1004197
It's gotta be dug deeper than the frost line, 24" is best, and make sure you tamp that soil real good before laying everything
>>
>>1004190
There's also these little plastic edges you can buy for an initial build if you're having a dropoff on one side and can't keep leveling. We had to build a driveway with Pavers, works really well. This guy know's what he's talking about.>>1004190
>>
>>1004223
That is some grade A bullshit right there. Literally no one where I am from does this, and our paving is just fine.

Except for mine, because a giant truck filled with 12m3 of sand drove over it.
>>
>>1004223
seems a bit deep even for a frosty area... where I live the official frost line is 42" deep. I can guarantee that no driveway or sidewalk here has 42"+ of gravel under it!!! and I don't see sidewalks or driveways heaving up and down all over the place.
>>
>>1004223
>It's gotta be dug deeper than the frost line, 24" is best

>24"
>Deeper than the frost line
>Northern State

Pick 2

Here in Minnesota, footings have to be between 54 and 60 inches below ground for code.

In the winter of 2014 the measured the frostline depth in one location in the state at 95 inches.
>>
>>1005048
>>1005086
>>1004944
>>1004223
the 'frost line' applies more to footings for buildings... roads, driveways, sidewalks etc are not dug that deep.
>>
>>1005088

This. The whole state isnt going to have their driveway foundation dug 5 feet down.
>>
>>1004185
Yes this will be fine.
/thread
>>
>>1004185
i put these edgers in 6 years ago

dug only a shade deeper than the block was thick

added sand to make level

leveled sand with hose water

placed block

never touched again and they haven't moved a bit

IOWA
>>
File: ddfdfdfdfdf.jpg (81 KB, 872x445) Image search: [Google]
ddfdfdfdfdf.jpg
81 KB, 872x445
>>1005303
forgot pic
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.