[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So i'm trying to defret my bass. I rushed through the actual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_2016-06-04-23-36-18.png (3 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-04-23-36-18.png
3 MB, 1080x1920
So i'm trying to defret my bass. I rushed through the actual fret pulling process though and put some pretty big chips and dents in the wood. I made a radius sanding bar and got it very smooth and even (not this picture) but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it to finish. Can i just fill these dents in with wood filler or is the fretboard ruined beyond repair?
>>
Tell your adhd to calm the fuck down for a second and apply some due diligence to this. If you have a radiused sanding board, just do it. Hell i'd probably do a glaze of epoxy to fill the fret holes and make the board glass-smooth.

Yea, you probably fucked it up though. I hope we're talking about a downmarket bass and not an Alembic or something.
>>
>>1003885

But what could be so damaged that it cant be fixed? Did i fuck up the structural integrity of the fretboard? Assuming i do a good job filling the slots/chips, sanding, and setting the nut and truss rod etc. What problems could i have
>>
>>1003898
Oh nothing will be like, blown to bits. Itll play and its not like you have to worry about intonation.
Probably would be a good idea to get some more rosewood (i assume its rosewood?) And do some fill on the fret holes along with some glue/sawdust. Flush sand that then.

Fretboards will come off with a little heatgun on it by the way. May think about a new one if you feel like you jacked this one up too much.
>>
I did as you have done. I fixed up the chunks missing next to frets using a 'thick' hacksaw blade (held the blade with my hand and went gentle) that opened up the frets slightly and got rid of the missing chunks. The filler looked fantastic, very sharp lines. My downfall was sanding, unfortunately whilst the wood came out nice, the inlays were scratched to shit. Also oil the fucker after the filler dries, I used linseed oil, left on for a day or so and excess wiped off. This was on a relatively rare Ibanez roadstar II, I have no doubt it's lost value because of this
>>
>>1003919
What I mean about a thick hacksaw is it was one with diamonds in the blade, for ceramics etc. You could also use a precision file I spose but I doubt it would go through wood very well
>>
>>1003898
You purposely rushed a job you didn't know how to do and prove you either don't understand wood or guitars

very un /diy/ of you
>>
>>1003919

But does it play well?
>>
>>1003883
Well you're going to have to fill these with something, wood putty will work and then smooth it flat, then put 2-3 very THIN coats of 2-pack poly on top of it. NB give those at least a week to cure

If you've murdered it past the point of saving, you could get something like an ebony or rosewood veneer and put over the top of it and redoing the action to take into account the slight difference in the thickness. Those aren't cheap though and will take some degree of craftsmanship to properly adhere and get dead flush with the existing fretboard
>>
>>1003883
>>1003898
>>1003885
>>1003922
>>1003937

Jaco ripped the frets out of his bass on a whim and he was a drunk idiot. I'm sure it's fixable
>>
>>1003934
Yeah man, super smooth from the nut to 24, notice a lot of wear on fretboard from the strings though, only adds to the character. Would I do it again? Only on a cheapy.
>>
>>1003937
Don't fucking do this, wood putty is fine if you do it right, mine has lasted years. Do not coat with anything other than a natural oil such as raw linseed or similar.
>>
I defretted a bass years ago (like 20), rosewood frettboard, some chipping; filled the slots and chips, sanded, put two coats of West System epoxy and it's still great. Can see some marking from the strings in the epoxy but nowhere near enough to affect playing.
>>
Flatwound strings will be kinder to your fingerboard
>>
>>1004015
Same here, west system about 10 years ago. Maple board with walnut strips in the fret slots.

Epoxy coating will take care of all the chips and I prefer the tone to frets.
>>
How did you made the radius sanding bar?
>>
>>1004775

I rolled it little by little till it matched the radius of my neck
>>
>>1003885
he also got beat to death by a bouncer.

Is that how you want to go out?
>>
>>1003883
Wood filler would do the trick
>>
>>1003883
Why didn't you just grind the frets down to the fretboard?
>>
Looks like a solid Walnut neck, take good care of it.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.