[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/diy/ book/video/article thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (1003 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1003 KB, 1600x1200
Hello there /diy/, I'm looking for some sort of information that serves as an all encompassing guide to woodworking/carpentry. Essentially, I want to get to be able to make simple furniture, tables, chairs, desks etc.

Does anyone know of any books that serve as a good introductory guide?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>1003819
There is no such source.

Get a subscription to Fine Woodworking for a year and see how you like it.

Audel's makes a great carpentry guide

Watch the New Yankee Workshop, too.
>>
>>1003835
so there's seriously no books out there that teach carpentry? Doesn't sound right
>>
>>1003819
Time Life "The Art of Woodworking"
25 volumes and used to be available via torrent
>>
>>1003819
at the risk of sounding like a condescending physicist:

is there actually anything to learn?

i mean you jsut have to have a feel for basic statics, and work a lathe/drill/chisel/saw/sander

the only thing you might need a book on might be wood types and finishes, but other than that, isn't it all just experience and talent?
>>
>>1004196

and a plane, forgot the plane. and a miter. I imagine you'd figure out what you needed as you figured out what you'd wanna do.
>>
>>1004196
>>1004198
I guess so, I've never done any DIY stuff before. I know nothing about wood, grains, fixtures, fittings or tools. Literally nothing. I'd imagine there has to be stuff to learn, seen as professional carpenters typically do an apprenticeship before being considered competent.
>>1004195
I'll look it up, thanks.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.