[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have this 74 AMC Javelin sitting in my driveway. I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: 20160530_171143.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160530_171143.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
I have this 74 AMC Javelin sitting in my driveway. I don't know anything about cars but sort of want to fix it, what would be a good place to start learning about older vehicles?
>>
>>1003656
Small block Ford
Holley carb probably a 650 DP.

Best way is to use google and youtube. Since the motor has a lot of work done to it, a haynes repair manual wont help too much but will give you a general idea.
>>
>>1003656
get your hands on the AMC factory service manual(s)
>>
Make sure the engine isn't seized first
>take spark plugs out
>Put in penetrating oil
>Put breaker bar on crank
>Pull til the engine moves a bit
>Change all fluids
>Do a compression test
Once you know the engine isn't seized and has compression, you can work on getting the engine spark fuel and air
>>
>>1003656
I don't know if I mentioned this, but it runs, but it has many other issues(Accelerator broken, turns to the right on its own, other small and bigger problems that I don't know about prob..)
>>
>>1003681
>Accelerator broken
Check the cable.
>turns to the right on its own
Check the alignment of the wheels
>>
>>1003681
You need to give us a better description.
How do you know it runs?
Were you told by someone it runs?
Did you just crank it over after with old fluids after sitting for 20 years?

Is it not even your project or what?
>>
If you really have no idea how anything works, cruise around this guy's playlist till you get a general idea of things. https://www.youtube.com/user/EngineeringExplained/playlists?sort=dd&shelf_id=2&view=50
>>
Dude just sell it, old cars are cool and all but require effort and knowledge to restore/maintain.

If your keen on getting an old car look for one that has been well restored, don't start with a niggered up piece of shit.

Source: I've owned old cars and have been spinning spanners my whole life and fuck 'em
>>
>>1003656

OH WOW THERES AN ENTIRE BOARD DEDICATED TO AUTOMOTIVE WHY DONT YOU ASK THERE?
>>
>>1003656
>edelbrock
holy kek anon. how do you just have a spare restored classic car in your driveway?

test to see if its just the throttle cable by starting the car then revving the engine by turning the butterfly valve manually. if it stalls out then the carb needs work. if it just doesnt throttle when you press the pedal then the cable is broken.

>turning to the right
possibly just needs an allignment. this would set you back 50$. it could also be anything broken in the front like a bad wheel bearing. a mechanic could diagnose it very quickly. there are call out mechanics. who can do it in your driveway.

>>1003812
>niggered up piece of shit
it's a classic car with a chevy block motor. you are certifiably retarded.
>>
>>1003818
There is a board more suited to your shiptosting faggotry.
>>>/b/

/o/ isnt suited to long term project threads.
>>
>>1003746
I've started it at least twice a week since I bought it about 6 months ago.
>>1003827
Its just the cable.
>>1003807
Thank you.

Sorry for late responses, been busy with finishing up school.
>>
>>1003828
/o/ isn't useful for much except for sticker placement discussions and how to fuck up a german car for lulz.
>>
>>1003656
Your engine is not a swap, it's an amc 360. Or maybe a 304. Either way it's got a stack of 80s Jegs catalog stuff on it, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
I agree with the grinch a few posts up though. Its not a simple case of throwing money at a mustang or a camaro. You have a wonk-tits car that needs a weirdo who loves amcs to treat it right. Its like having a retard kid. Itll never be as good as the no-potato kids unless its a kardashian.
>>
File: twingofag.jpg (269 KB, 582x498) Image search: [Google]
twingofag.jpg
269 KB, 582x498
If you live in the NY tri state area I am interested in buying it. Let me know, I really want that car.
>>
>>1004006
Sorry...
>Michigan :^(
>>
>>1003915
They guy I bought it from told me it was overborne to 401, and was pushing around 425 H.P, I don't believe the last part, but would having the engine have such a modification make it more difficult to work with in any way?
>>
>>1003677
Don't forget if it's been sitting for 12+months the carb probably needs to be cleaned out and the gas in the tank is shite
>>
>>1004035
You should go ahead and check the steering system. Is there a lot of slop in the steering wheel when you turn it? With the steering wheel locked or with someone holding it, grasp the tire from the nine and three O clock positions and flex it. If there is a lot of flex the wheel bearings could be bad. Check all four.
>>
>>1004041
Sorry OP I missed the part where you said you were running it weekly. Good job. But still, gas can go bad in the tank.
>>1004035
It's pretty tough to have more horsepower than cubic inches, he may have been exaggerating.
>>1003915
Fuck this guy, it's an old car and they're all pretty similar. You can find ANY part that you need online nowadays. >>1003812
Don't listen to this quitter bro
>>
>>1003656
Air filter looks nasty AF
>>
>>1003659
think that's an amc engine
>>
>>1004035
The hp figures are probably pretty optimistic. Cast iron heads and stock manifold aint gonna do it. You're getting into plainly aluminum top end and headers. Stock, the 401 wasnt making near that. Check the block under the engine mount to see your ci.
>>1004103
You sound like the kind of guy who has a mustang with a hemi. Go suck a dick. OP needs a realist.
>>
>>1004042
If you have power assist steering it will probably be a vacuum line. Check brakes as well.
>>
>>1003656
go to /o/, they will help
>>
>>1004155
I DD a 70 el Camino and also own a 75 Nova. In my 16 years of driving these are the only two cars I've ever owned. I do Damn near all my own work.

What did I say that was incorrect and do you even wrench
>>
>>1004269
>75 Nova.

Eww
>>
File: DSC_2237_oil_painting.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2237_oil_painting.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>1003910
>implying you've been to /o/ in the past 6 months

It's all gtr vs vette shitposting by anonymous Alphonse, fwd posting by Corey, hype over the new Fiata, and trashing top flop.
>>
>>1004281
>>implying you've been to /o/ in the past 6 months

Why would I go to that fucking awful board?
>>
File: IMG_0835.jpg (968 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0835.jpg
968 KB, 3264x2448
>>1004281
>he doesn't /dbt/
get a load of this cuck
>>
File: P_20160526_172027.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
P_20160526_172027.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>1004274
I'm getting it ready to sell this year, it has been through a lot and is overall not a great car. In time I think I'll build a big block and find an early Chevy II to drop it into.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.