[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest price
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: 20160418_170120.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160418_170120.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Can I honestly ask $750 for this?
>>
Uh....I wouldn't pay that.

Just an old softwood table that's nicely lacquered. If I even wanted one, I'd say maybe $100.

If i wanted one, btw, I'd just find some old barn or shed lumber and make one.
>>
>>1003416
You can ask whatever the market is willing to pay.

If you can identify a market that will pay a grand, then ask a grand! If you are selling in trailer parks then ask a hundred.

I've bought a custom table +6 chairs for a hundred and I've bought the same to a higher standard for 8k euro. It's all about what the customer is willing to pay
>>
>>1003416
I'd estimate more like $600, but $750 isn't unreasonable.
>>
Get it into the local antique store and ask $2500.
>>
>>1003416
Sure. I mean even the wood is like 150 dollars worth. And all that fucking lacquer is like a whole gallon in a half. The showing lagbolts kinda pisses me off and a heavy stain over pine.. But as long as it turns a profit who cares.
>>
>>1003416
You could ask for $10,000. Doesn't mean someone will buy it. But then again, you never know. You can throw a stone and hit a company in the US that sells cheap shit to rich housewives. If they can do it, why can't you?

Id start by marketing it as a classy antique one of a kind table set. If that doesn't work, get some hipster cushions and sell as a 'too cool for ikea' type thing.
>>
i'd guess around 300$ 750 is way to o high.
>>
Just put it at $1000 and drop it by $200 every month.
>>
OP do you have plans for this? I'd love to build it.
>>
>>1003416
i love how you retards treat woods intended to be used with or near food with all kinds of disgusting oils, lacquers, and epoxy resins.

you wonder why cancer rates are through the roof. its because you geniuses do the stupidest shit.

half the time i think these "lol i just made my first toxic glue and some retarded oil infused cutting board" threads are made by the chinese to trick americans into poisoning their gene pool. wake the fuck up idiots
>>
>>1003513
Tablecloths exist though
>>
File: 1374786733455.gif (189 KB, 231x199) Image search: [Google]
1374786733455.gif
189 KB, 231x199
To be fair OP I think you're asking the wrong crowd, I know I wouldn't pay that because I'd just make something like that if I'd wanted.
>>
>>1003416
>>1003516
>>
>>1003416
you might get half that, depending on if you split them up or not

>inb4 some moron chick buys it because they saw some crap on pintrist and want to paint over the wood with some god-awful shade of blue or green, scruff it up, and then stencil on top with some text, flowers, or fake country garbage

I hate those kind of people even more than I hate hipsters....and I hate them a lot
>>
>>1003513
yes, much better to use unsealed wood so you can die a painful death thanks to your own ignorance of basic sanitation principles
>>
>>1003513
I see you've been eating directly off the table, I think I've got a few things that might help you out.

Table cloth
Placemat
Plate
Bowel
Cup
>>
>>1003555
lel

>>1003513
Who is "you retards"? Who are you even talking about? What is a "disgusting oil"? I wasn't wondering why cancer rates were through the roof, but thanks. It seems you have discovered the cause of cancer, and yet you're only informing a few people on a niche image board on the internet. Please go inform the scientific community immediately (maybe don't say "wake the fuck up" to them though)!
>>
>>1003416
No.

Ask $1200 instead.
>>
>>1003513
Linseed. Beeswax. All you ever need for indoor wood polishing. And that stuff isn´t just not poisonous, its actually edible and healthy.

I wouldn´t trust anything else though.
>>
>>1003539
http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

Wood is by its very nature anti microbial.

We began our research comparing plastic and wooden cutting boards after the U.S. Department of Agriculture told us they had no scientific evidence to support their recommendation that plastic, rather than wooden cutting boards be used in home kitchens. Then and since, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Meat and Poultry Inspection Manual (official regulations) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's 1999 Food Code (recommended regulations for restaurants and retail food sales in the various states of the U.S.) permit use of cutting boards made of maple or similar close-grained hardwood. They do not specifically authorize acceptable plastic materials, nor do they specify how plastic surfaces must be maintained.

Our research was first intended to develop means of disinfecting wooden cutting surfaces at home, so that they would be almost as safe as plastics. Our safety concern was that bacteria such as Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella, which might contaminate a work surface when raw meat was being prepared, ought not remain on the surface to contaminate other foods that might be eaten without further cooking. We soon found that disease bacteria such as these were not recoverable from wooden surfaces in a short time after they were applied, unless very large numbers were used. New plastic surfaces allowed the bacteria to persist, but were easily cleaned and disinfected. However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present. Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic surfaces from knife cuts.
>>
>>1003539
In addition to our laboratory research on this subject, we learned after arriving in California in June of 1995 that a case-control study of sporadic salmonellosis had been done in this region and included cutting boards among many risk factors assessed (Kass, P.H., et al., Disease determinants of sporadic salmonellosis in four northern California counties: a case control study of older children and adults. Ann. Epidemiol. 2:683-696, 1992.). The project had been conducted before our work began. It revealed that those using wooden cutting boards in their home kitchens were less than half as likely as average to contract salmonellosis (odds ratio 0.42, 95% confidence interval 0.22-0.81), those using synthetic (plastic or glass) cutting boards were about twice as likely as average to contract salmonellosis (O.R. 1.99, C.I. 1.03-3.85); and the effect of cleaning the board regularly after preparing meat on it was not statistically significant (O.R. 1.20, C.I. 0.54-2.68). We know of no similar research that has been done anywhere, so we regard it as the best epidemiological evidence available to date that wooden cutting boards are not a hazard to human health, but plastic cutting boards may be.
>>
>>1003573
>>1003576
Tables are not cutting boards, you autistic faggot.

Are you going to hose down your table with hot, soapy water after dinner?
>>
>>1003416
For the house? Done. Sold. Please supply your email and we can negotiate payment and transfer of deeds. This is legally binding, btw.
>>
>>1003555
>Bowel
I'm in to some weird shit, but that's too far
>>
>>1003565
Boiled linseed has shiploads of petrochemicals added
>>
>>1003573
I don't understand why you'd use anything othr than stone or glass for a cutting board. Anything porous or that accumulates scratches is asking for trouble.
>>
>>1003587
Hey man whatever floats your boat, just saying eating directly from someones bowel is the way to go, recycling and all that.
>>
>>1003592
I know right. Every printmaking book I have. Has it as an indispensable product for the studio, But theyre all this shit is dangerous yo.
>>
>>1003593
>can't scratch glass.
>>
File: WP_20160510_001.jpg (940 KB, 2248x1685) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160510_001.jpg
940 KB, 2248x1685
>>1003416
I've sold worse for more, op. You have talent; believe in your product!

Sold this table alone for $510.

>Rage incoming in 3...2...1...
>>
>>1003603
>>1003592
>>1003565
Raw linseed is fine, but anything that has "boiled" or "drying" in the name has solvents added. That said, I think they're still considered food grade, so no problem unless you're the analanon >>1003513 who thinks his body is a temple.

I'm sure you can get pure tung oil etc and it will soak in just fine, just won't get that protective "cure"
>>
>>1003611
I'm not even mad. I'm impressed.
>>
>>1003416

Depends on:

> The quality of the materials and build
> Who you are selling it to

I could see selling it for $500. Maybe a little more.

$750 seems a bit high.

People are idiots on ETSY tho. One of my neighbors sells dinner tables on ETSY for $1k.
>>
>>1003593
>I don't understand why you'd use anything othr than stone or glass for a cutting board
>stone or glass cutting board
I'll take "how to ruin your kitchen knives" for $500, Alex.
>>
>>1003611
I think you'd get more rage if you said you bought that for $510, the fact you can sell it for that much is great for you.
>>
>>1003416
is it all bolted together or real joinery?

if it's all bolted, i'd pay 500, if it's real joinery i would feel comfortable spending 750.
>>
>>1003587
>into weird shit
>not into bowels

anon, do you even know where shit comes from?
>>
>>1003416
It's worth a try. The picnic table look detracts from the value.
>>
>>1003593
Wood is naturally antimicrobial. No one who uses decent knives would use stone or glass cutting boards. Plastic is the worst choice for cutting board as it harbors pathogens.
>>
>>1003416
more like $50 lol if even that
>>
Forgive me, I'm on mobile and can't make it out clearly.

Just need to know
>what wood
>what finish
>your general location (I live in a rural area outside Chicago and have made some pretty good money sell shit to city people who think they are buying antiques from some backwards hillbilly, when really I just make 4 or 5 then set them in the barn to get dirty.)
>>
>>1003622
>tung oil etc and it will soak in just fine, just won't get that protective "cure"
Sure it will. It just takes a longer time.
>>
It's all about finding the market.

www.potterybarn.com/products/whitfield-wood-storage-buffet/
>>
Guys, sometimes I just don't get it.

I see a cheap sets of dining table and 4 chairs made from Allah knows what kind of composite for $600 or more all the time.

I don't know how much solid wood picnic tables usually go for at Walmart or whatever, but I doubt its less than $350.
If its nicely finished $750 "craftsman" made is not so outrageous of a price is it.
>>
>>1003622
>I'm sure you can get pure tung oil etc and it will soak in just fine, just won't get that protective "cure"

Linseed oil soaks in too at first.

Linseed and Tung oil give a great protective finish, but they take a long time.
You need to rub in linseed oil with a rag every day for at least a week before it gets saturated enough that you can lay it on with a brush, like you would varnish.
>>
>>1003416
Serious question, OP, how much do you have invested in this?
>>
>>1003416
Put it ebay with and see what you can get for it there that will give you an idea of what people will pay for it.
>>
Here's an easy way
>asking price is 50-100 bucks up
>say the price is negotiable
Then dumb fucks think they are getting a great deal when they get a 50 buck "discount"
>>
>>1003416
I have had several antique mall booths and you wouldn't get that at any I've been at. Antique mall people are cheap and negotiate now. You might get $500 before thanksgiving or christmas. Otherwise I wouldn't waste the booth space. I saw a version of what you have at an estate sale larger barnwood looking covered in polyurethane they were asking $2000 firm and everybody was mad. I thought it was ridiculous because it didn't have chairs to match. Everyone was leaving them their number with the estate company because they really wanted it but didn't want to pay. It looked either custom made or restoration hardware. It was the most highend estate company around with a very good reputation. They handle some very expensive estates. Which is sometimes tough because really really rich people tend to buy new stuff.

It hurts but its really hard to factor in the cost of materials in a situation like this.

All that said I dont think it hurts to start high and work down so sure try $750
>>
>>1003611
you should go into realestate
>>
>>1003416
Sell the benches separately, obtain/make some nice modern rustic design chairs to go around it.
As it is it's too lower class, outdoorsey, cottagey for $750
You'll prob get more if you can find 3 buyers instead of 1.
>>
>>1003622
Solvents is not what you should be worried about. Those evaporate. It's the heavy metals that they add to catalyze polymerization you need to worry about. "Japan Driers" basically. So you've got your cobalt and lead napthenates and octoate... etc.
>>
>>1003416
Where did you steal it from?
>>
>>1003416
honestly, no. you applied the poly wrong somehow. its all wavy. did you just throw one big layer on? the grain is visibly lifted wtf? in the future, you sand it down, use a wet cloth to dampen the surface and lift the grain then sand again. then you apply a very thin coat to seal, then sand again when dry. then apply another thin coat then sand again. then you apply a thick coat.
>>
>>1003416
You can ask what you'd like but it's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

ie Not $750
>>
>>1003611
LOL, no you didn't. Why even lie.
>>
>>1003418
dont listen to this retard
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.