[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so i think i mixed my resin wrong, im making a small teardrop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: EasyCast-34016.png (222 KB, 288x388) Image search: [Google]
EasyCast-34016.png
222 KB, 288x388
so i think i mixed my resin wrong, im making a small teardrop bead with a bee i found encased in the middle, this isnt the first bug ive encased, but its the first one ive done that was so small. Normally its done by now, but it isnt, and i was wondering if i mixed it wrong, missed some kind of step, or if smaller things cure slower.
>>
You probably didn't mix it well enough or got the ratio wrong.

If you're lucky it will cure very slowly.

If you're unlucky, it won't cure at all.
>>
>>1003396
should i cut it off from oxygen? some tutorials say i should but its not in the directions
>>
>>1003399
You can apply a little extra heat. Epoxy is one of those things that cure with heat. Just leave it in in a container on the dash of your car out in the sun. (or wrap in foil. Uv will fuck epoxy unless its got blockers)
>>
>>1003391
Smaller things cure slower. Resins cure through a thermogenic reaction, and the smaller bits generate less heat.

You could throw it in the oven at the lowest temperature and it'll probably cure pretty quickly.
Or just wait till it figures itself out. If you live in a humid environment, that could fuck up the curing process as well.
>>
This sounds stupid, but hear me out. Test out putting a little less hardener in the mix and stir very very thoroughly. I used the same shit and had a lot of issues until I did this. However I'm 2 years out and my shit looks terrible because it yellowed fast
>>
How big (small) was the batch of resin you mixed? Smaller mixes give less wiggle room in the accuracy of the mix ratio, i.e. a hair over the line on a 1/2oz pour is a much bigger variation than a few hairs over on a 10oz pour.

If it was your usual batch size, you may have contaminated your mix and fucked the cure. Anyway, if it hasn't cured by now, it's surely fucked.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.