[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is this? It's connected to a coaxial cable. I found
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 20160602_153858.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160602_153858.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
What is this? It's connected to a coaxial cable. I found it in the box outside. There don't appear to be center pins in the sleeve thing and the end with the thread. I was thinking it was a spacer to turn off the cable but the end bit that's threaded makes no sense. Anyone know what this is.
>>
>>1002898
Key logger, your bank details are stolen
>>
>>1002910
Shit I better call the inter galactic police. Thanks for the quick answer.
>>
>>1002898
Hard to say, but my first guess would be an RF filter.
>>
It's a filter. Cable companies use them to prevent "everything" from hitting your cable modem/box.
>>
>>1002898
It's an RF filter, it filters out specific frequencies/channels from hitting your house. The piece on the end should spin freely, it's a lock to keep you from being able to illegally receive cable.
>>
>>1002928
Anything cool I can do with it?
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 284x160) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 284x160
>>1002963
You can intercept certain RF frequencies and send them straight to the ground.
>>
>>1002969
Holy shit. Can I build a time machine using this?
>>
>>1002984
No. But you can direct certain RF frequencies to a ground potential. Not sure what part of this you're not getting.
>>
Excellent what gives that to you besides isolating RF frequencies against other waves? I'm not hearing time machine here am i?
>>
>>1002963
Remove it and get free cable.
>>
>>1003000
Or remove it and start losing the signal on your cable modem.
>>
File: 2016-06-02 23.48.18.jpg (221 KB, 815x459) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-02 23.48.18.jpg
221 KB, 815x459
>>1002898
Shaw Cablesystems field-tech guy here: that item circled is known as a terminator. We use them to cap off the unused spigots on the tap up by the pole. Usually you need a special tool to take it off and normally has a 75 ohm resistor inside to operate properly (stops standing waves from forming).

Looks to me like some lazy fuck terminated inside the CSE (enclosure) rather than up at the tap.

As >>1003000 said, removing it will allow any RF signals to pass if any are present.
>>
>>1003098
fucking 75 ohm niggers
>>
>>1003098

It's also fairly easy to detect an unterminated cable, so make sure you plug it in to something with matching input impedence if you remove the existing terminator
>>
>>1003098
Well they did leave the box open when they left so I'd agree on them being lazy. If I'm not reading it wrong it seems this is just to kill the cable? Why would that sleeve need a resistor? If it only has one connection instead of two shouldn't it just work as a terminator because of that?
>>
>>1003098

thats a useless device. whats to stop someone from cutting that all off and just putting a new connector on the wire?
>>
>>1002963
you can try putting the whole thing in your pee hole... that's always an option
>>
>>1003269
A trip to home depot, some 50 bucks in tools and supplies, and standing outside? Fuck that. I'll just continue not having cable TV. Netflix dawg.
>>
>>1003299
>$50 in tools

Yeah okay.
>>
>>1003299
Except most people with cable also rely on the cable for internet.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.