[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Device that first transmits force along a rope, then stops
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: spec.png (10 KB, 805x349) Image search: [Google]
spec.png
10 KB, 805x349
I have one of those undersink slide out trash bins, but you have to lift the lid yourself which is annoying.

I'd like to make some sort of rope and pulley contraption, so that when you try to slide it out, it will automatically lift the lid slightly, and then lower it back down when you slide it back in.

I thought about it and it seems like basically my problem hinges on constructing a device that has the following characteristics (refer to pic 1):

R is a weight representing the lid. Q is the device. P is the pulley that will be routed around and tied to the base of trash can.

When the rope is pulled in given direction, both Q and R will be pulled up at first (plot showing hQ and hR). It doesn't matter if R is pulled in direct proportion to Q, hence the several dashed curves, any of which would be acceptable.

After a preset threshold is met, however, Q continues going up but R remains in place.

When the rope through P is slackened back in, the events play out in reverse: First only Q is lowered without lowering R, but when threshold is reached (ie. the trash bin has almost completely slid back in) R starts lowering as well.
>>
File: example.png (2 KB, 126x206) Image search: [Google]
example.png
2 KB, 126x206
Just to make it clearer, second pic is an example imperfect solution: The threshold is set by putting some barrier in the path of R. After R is snagged on this barrier, it cannot move any more, so further attempts to pull along T1 results in the spring being extended.

The problem with this is that towards the end there will be quite a bit of force stored up in the spring, so the trash can will not slide out easily and snap back when released.

Any ideas?
>>
>>1002859
open the cupboard fully
lift the lid
attach rope to lid
attach other end to inside cupboard

thats it.
that is all there is to it.
>>
>>1002863
I want it to be opened when the trash bin is slid out, not when the door is opened.
>>
File: Trashbin.png (36 KB, 2348x666) Image search: [Google]
Trashbin.png
36 KB, 2348x666
Isn't pic related more or less what OP is looking for?
>>
>>1002893
Yes, except the lid isn't hinged. It just lies on the bin, like a pot lid.
>>
>>1002903
get a trash bin with a spring loaded top that opens when you pull it out. The button is usually where you would slide it out. These are like 10-12 bucks at wal mart
>>
>>1002866
slide bin out open lid. Attach rope to cupboard.
You arent the brightest spark are you lmao
nice diagram bro
>>
>>1002914
Won't fit in my rail.
>>
>>1002903
Drill holes in the lid and can. Attach the two with a couple zip ties. Now they're hinged.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.