[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been looking Into building a yurt and was wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: _MG_1925.jpg (119 KB, 619x434) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1925.jpg
119 KB, 619x434
I've been looking Into building a yurt and was wondering if /diy/ has any advice before I get started. Alittle background information. I live in Texas so building codes and heating aren't massive issues.
Shit I already know
1. using cedar wood for construction
2. lattice work will require a jig for proper construction
3. Double bubble insulation should be sufficient for Texas
4. The skin of the yurt is going to be very expensive and there isnt much you can do about that

Things I'd love advice on
1. The math involved in creating lattice work
2. General building tips for a inexperienced builder
All advice is welcome thank you for your time and advice
>>
Not that I know a shit about yurts, but maybe you could use cotton for the skin walls.

In case you really do this, please, take a fuckton of pictures. I am really interested.
>>
>>1001942
https://campingyurts.com/yurt-parts.shtml
OP here
These guys have alot of parts for sale and what not but even if I used found materials off Craigslist it's going to cost $2,000 bucks for their treated canvas. Cotton is great for the summer and when it's dry very breathable and cheap but it doesn't like heavy rains and mold and mildew become a problem it would require treating regularly as well as waterproofing.
>>
When I do start construction later this summer il post here and keep y'all updated.
>>
What if you coat it with hydrophobic spray

Or just use plastic or something
>>
>>1001963
OP here
Hydrophobic spray would last about a year and would cost a few hundred bucks to coat the whole yurt which would allow me to go with the cheaper canvas. The debate here is now which is more coat effective spending the extra money on treated canvas that will be more durable require less upkeep VS untreated canvas with a substantially lower cost starting out that requires treating once a year. There becomes a time where investing the 2,000 bucks becomes more cost efficient. You mentioned plastic coating that is pretty much what that expensive treated canvas is. its got a vinyl like coating on the canvas making it resist water mold mildew etc. So a bit of insight here the Mongols used animal hides for the covering of the yurt and used wool and felt to create a insulation.

In short I see alternatives too buying treated canvas but I question their viability for long term solutions because I would like this thing to survive roughly 5 years.
>>
Any opinions on tyvek? Light weight breathable waterproof used in constrcution cheaper than coated canvas what do y'all think?
>>
>>1001902
Okay okay, 16 miles from where I live I know this old man that lives in one. He made the skin of the yurt out of used billboard signs the fabric ones that cover like raps. He placed two layers outside in so that they were both white from the outside or the inside and just kind of cut and stitched it together. The frame he made off of plans he saw online with a chop saw, a table saw and a drill. I think his was 20 feet in diameter small but still pretty badass.
>>
>>1002038
OP here thank you for your reply! This is useful
>>
For layout you can't go wrong with drawing 1:1 on plywood or whatever.
Good luck anon!
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.