[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mount 150lb enclosure directly into concrete, or in to a 2x4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: c03236580.png (219 KB, 474x356) Image search: [Google]
c03236580.png
219 KB, 474x356
Hi /diy/, I want to mount a 150lb enclosure (with all server stuff inside) to a concrete wall.

I plan on using tapcon screws. I was told it would be good if I drill a hole through a wooden 2x4, then attach the 2x4 to the concrete. Then I can attach the enclosure to the 2x4.

What do you think ? I am worried that the 2x4 may not support the 150lbs.
>>
to the top!
>>
Use concrete anchors.
>>
File: expander.png (36 KB, 360x87) Image search: [Google]
expander.png
36 KB, 360x87
>>1001341
Just use concrete expander anchors, they are made for this. How many Units is the rack?
>>
>>1001341

150lbs isn't much. Not for a 2x4 that's bolted into concrete, anyway.

Assuming you can get the enclosure attached to the 2x4 with 4 screws or more, it'll be fine.
>>
>>1001341
Concrete framing screws are amazing for stuff like this no plugs or bolts just drill the hole and screw them in. the hole has to be 1.5mm smaller than the screw the screw bites into the concrete it gives you a really strong fixing.
>>
>>1001357
Agreed, plus if you ever have to detach it and then re-attach it, your tapcons won't hold for shit a second time.
>>
>>1001341
>falling for the tap con meme
>>
>>1001341
Mount the 2x4s to the wall with redheads brand anchors. Use wide washers too. Then mount the rack with lags and washers.
>>
>>1002505
ITW doesn't do meme products, fag.
>>
>>1002505

Tapcon are brilliant. I've used them to fix 300kg plate fans and they're solid.
>>
>>1002536
>brand loyalty even with a shit product
Memed again

>>1002539
You should go stand under one of them, so when it falls someone innocent won't have to suffer for your mistake
>>
>>1001341
I do not recommend tapcons, however if you do end up using them USE THE DRILL BIT THEY GIVE YOU and VACUUM THE HOLES CLEAN. Do not leave a spec of debris in the holes you drill or they will completely screw you over, no pun intended
>>
>>1002543
Well they were fitted 5 years ago. They're still there as I was back at the same job 6 months ago.

I just really don't think you know what you're taking about.
>>
>>1002556
I just think you got lucky, bound to happen to everyone at some point.
>>
>>1002562
No I don't think so. There's no room for luck. They work. If you have had bad results, maybe the issue is you. I can't see how you can condemn a tried and tested, globally sold product.
>>
>>1001341
I'd mount the wood, i usually mount wood to concrete to prevent corrosion. Use anchors of your choice.
>>
>>1002599
cover the bottom of the wood in tar though so it doesn't rot.
>>
>>1002554
>drill hole deeper than required
>screw doesn't lodge in debris
>head does not twist off
>???
>profit!
>>
Just do the wood, if you ever want to move it, or remove it, it'll make things much easier.
>>
>>1002601
Why would it rot? It's going to be on a wall, probably relatively dry. Besides, almost all 2x4's are going to be pressure treated (in my experience it's hard to find ones that haven't) which will be plenty to prevent damage as long as it's not half buried in soil with high concentrations of sulfates or whatever in it.
>>
>>1002605
moisture.
Most rotton wood I replace is almost always next to or on concrete, it's a reason they don't sink 4X4s in concrete anymore (unless they coat it in tar).Think of concrete as a massive hard sponge, anything that touches it and the water will wick to it. Also there's a lot of weight involved and the screws you use will rust over time, it's just an added precaution. DESU you'll probably fine with for at least 10 years or more.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.