[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How could I create a cheap metal wood stove + chimney using only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: Capture.png (1 MB, 903x747) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1 MB, 903x747
How could I create a cheap metal wood stove + chimney using only hand tools?

I was thinking of buying an ammo box and starting from there, but I was wondering what /diy/ though.
>>
File: 1405849963389.jpg (74 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1405849963389.jpg
74 KB, 720x960
>>1000955
Unless you have a crank operated welding station that's impossible. Ammo box will get red hot, fume all the paint off, and will rust after a couple of weeks. That's one of the most stupid things I've heard.

The ideal thing to start with would be a thick gas tank, but it would still require some welding unless you want to die of carbon monoxide poisoning. It is also recommended to powder coat it to prevent rust and so it doesn't looks like you've stolen it from some inbreed gypsy's camp lost in some rural area of Romania, but if you can't afford a stove I don't see how you can afford that.

Either way, have you even used google?
>>
55 gallon steel drum - one lid attached, one spare lid. I could build a stove out of these with hand tools.
So you get the drum, preferably one that hasn't housed anything too volatile and preferably with the paint coming off. You have four problems.
1) You want to light a fire in it outside to cook the paint and anything trapped in the pores of the steel off. We'll get back to this later though...
2) The drum will be oriented length-wise above the ground - it needs legs. Source some kind of metal stand.
3) The front opening - to feed in wood. You need to make a rectangular opening through the lid. Opening should be elevated relative to the bottom of the drum in its operating position.Since, you know, hot coals and burning material will be at the bottom. Don't want that shit falling out the front. We can't weld on hinges, we need a way to securely attach this 'hatch'. This is where the second lid comes in. The two vertical edges, and bottom horizontal edge of the opening you created on the original drum lid need to be rolled outward to create a lip. Likewise, from the second lid, a sheet slightly bigger than the opening should be cut. In a similar fashion, the two (soon to be) vertical edges of the sheet forming the hatch should be rolled in. Thus you create lips in the metal that ride on each other. The bottom lip on the original dram lid is to keep the hatch from sliding down passed the opening - it holds it up. A top lip on the hatch can also be created as a means to conveniently pull the hatch up.
4) We need an opening for stove pipe. Since you now understand the drum will be laying down though, let's go back to #1. Punch a small hole where the stove pipe will be in the top of the drum (in operating position). This is for air flow. Now you can light a fire in it and cook off all the bad stuff.
Anyway, You'll need either actual stove pipe or some kind of metal to make it.... But for the hole, you bend metal out in all direction from the hole to keep the pipe on
>>
woodfag here.

Could op do it with sheet metal, tin snips and rivets?
>>
>>1000997
>>1000997
I ran out of characters...
But you're hatch should have some holes for airflow - through the front of the stove and up the stove pipes.
Also, *making* stove pipes, while possible with basic hand tools, is a bit involved. They have two concentric walls, nowadays at least, and it's for a good reason - hot gases shooting up them heat up the sheet metal, and the second wall insulates the first. So you don't catch anything on fire. You would need to get some sheet metal, figure out how to join it into cylinders -> stagger the joints of the two concentric cylinders/walls going up. Ehh... I mean it depends on what the heck you're trying to accomplish, but really it's easier to buy the pipe. Or check residential construction site dumpsters. I found one full of the stuff not that long ago.
Anyway, good luck OP, it can be done.
Ohh and a rattle can of high-heat black paint probably wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>1001007
For the stove pipe that would be great. For the stove, no. Any gauge of sheet metal you could actually cut through with snips wouldn't survive 1 hot fire - 1 cycle of operation.
>>
File: DIY Stove.jpg (66 KB, 1000x908) Image search: [Google]
DIY Stove.jpg
66 KB, 1000x908
>>1000997
>>1001009
>My $0.02 and 100hr in photoshop adding to this

Reckon a forced stove is probably the go as they're small, efficient and with the power you can optionally run a relay off it to a battery, lightbulb, charger etc
Its really not that complicated, but I reckon someone with a stick welder to put the hinges on and get a good seal around the tubes and chimney is worth your while.
>>
>>1000967
I should have pointed out that this is going into a small, primitive mud hut, so it's a very small room to be heated, plus a surface I could cook on if possible.

Basicly however Dick Proenneke did it, I want to do it too.

>>1000967
Jesus Christ what a mammoth of a description, thank you so much. I'm gonna have to wrap my head around what you're describing, I hope I can get it.

I'm only 18 BTW.
>>
>>1001192
18 is a good thing. Dont be discouraged. Keep building stuff.
>>
File: stove.jpg (75 KB, 736x496) Image search: [Google]
stove.jpg
75 KB, 736x496
This.
Prod wouldn't be as pretty.
>>
>>1001192
Make it out of clay.
>>
>>1002942
Shit yeah. This anon knows what's up. Watch this video, OP. It will show you how to make the fire place for free.
https://youtu.be/nCKkHqlx9dE
>>
>>1002942
yep, make it out of clay
>>
>>1000955

Rocket stove made out of clay, sand, lime, and cement. Reallistically all you need is a hammer to build a mold, then just set everything up and poor it in.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.