[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/ I'm trying to come up with a simple and relatively
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: filtration.jpg (381 KB, 1128x1318) Image search: [Google]
filtration.jpg
381 KB, 1128x1318
Hi /diy/

I'm trying to come up with a simple and relatively economical way to filter water from a river. This water will be collected in a water container and be used to shower with (not to drink) even though the water is relatively clean as far as rivers go I'd rather filter, and sterilize it first to be on the safe side.

many of the existing water filtration solutions are either for:

1) small scale wilderness/survival purposes (katadyn,sawyer,lifestraw etc)
2) large scale installations for drinking in african villages
3) home point of use drinking (e.g berkey)
4) large scale industry use

So none of those are really suitable for collecting and filtering a large amount of water. Either they're too small with a slow flow rate, or they're gigantic installations

After a bit of thinking, I figured out the most economical non chemical solution is to buy standard 10" filter kits and just repurchase when they become clogged. The workflow will be like this

1) pump water directly from a hose through sediment prefilter,
2) then through a finer filter (0.5 micron)
3) then through a UV filter, into a holding container
>>
>>1000490
There's a guy here who's done a similar thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOy4bPO-TkU

The pump I will be using instead is this:

>http://www.hozelock.com/our-products/watering/pumps/ultra-metal-garden-pump/

datasheet >http://www.hozelock.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/7816-7819-uk-33801-002-GardenPump.pdf

For filters, I want to use
>http://www.screwfix.com/p/high-performance-water-filter-kit/37975#product_additional_details_container

datasheet: >http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_457898.pdf

and/or this

>http://www.screwfix.com/p/high-capacity-water-filter-kit-10/16747#product_additional_details_container

datasheet : >http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_457775.pdf
>>
>>1000491
The first filter says in the manual it connects directly with 1/4" plastic tubing.

The second filter seems to say it connects with 3/4" male NPT nipples.

The problem is I'm already stuck, I have no idea how to connect the hose to the respective water filters.

The closest thing I have found that looks like it might work for the second filter at least is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-2159-9000-Adapter-hoses/dp/B0034G5NR2

But I really have no idea as it seems like most people out there aren't connecting water filters to a hose in that case. We don't have a lowes or home depot in my country so it's a bit harder to find everything under one roof.

Could anyone of you diy experts help deciphering how it could be done, or suggest if there's any specific parts to buy to connect up either of these filters to a hose?
>>
>>1000490
A river? How the hell are you getting away with that? most rivers are highly protected by the state. Either way I would not use water from it. In my area at least they are pretty much toxic and polluted. The whole house filters you show are a good start. Creek water or rain water would be better. A sand bar or some light, easily replaced prefilter should be first. UV is a waste of power and money. Just get a 2 micron if you need to drink or eat with it.
>>
>>1000493
Christ not everyone lives in your polluted nanny state.
>>
>>1000495
Most waterways in the united states, especially the larger ones are EPA protected. But yes, most states dont have the level of pollution we have here. The ohio river is literally a toxic dumping ground for the chemical companies.
>>
>>1000493
Hi, thanks for the answer

The river is not protected by any state.

A water quality analysis showed the turbitidy is relatively low (40 NTU- but with some fluctuations) - It's cleaner than some rivers but of course being a river certain waterborne contaminants (cryptosporidium, giardia) etc have been found at times, and I'm sure there's leeching from a ton of other stuff.

I know several people have been drinking from the river for many years time using only UV and never been sick. It uses a neglible power draw, has a long bulb life and wasn't that expensive at all. I've drank this water too, but generally drinking water is not an issue since I can get this easily elsewhere. I'm purely wanting water to shower with the water directly as opposed to having to drive out and fill up a tank, as it's a limitless supply right on my doorstep. I don't have the space for a rain collection setup and don't have any creeks nearby.

I could probably outright shower with it straight from river and be fine (i know a few that do this already), but I'd rather take the extra precaution of actually filtering it a bit first. For the prefilter I can use a simple nylon sock which can start at 250 microns and go down to 0.2. The hose kit also comes with a coarse prefilter
>>
>>1000000
>>
>>1000490
But why? You'll be using electricity and expensive filters to clean water? Why not simply build a filter that dumps to a large holding tank, then use a gravity shower? Not only would this spare you expenses, but you could also excersize your overweight self, and collect rainwater.
>>
>>1000501
What do you mean but why? The point of this filter *is* to dump (somewhat cleaner) river water to a large holding tank..

from that point I have fresh water in the tank, I *can* use a gravity shower. Or I could just as easily use a portable gas shower by dumping the inlet hose into the storage tank. Whatever works.

How do you propose to "simply build a filter that dumps water" without an 'expensive' filter, or electricity for that matter? Water needs to be at a certain pressure to be driven through the filters, What sort of free alternative filter technology is available that match the level/specs of these filter cartridges?
what sort of non-electric pumps are available that can pump the water through said filter medium? What's wrong with making it easier anyway?

I calculated the average cost per shower and it was economical for me. It's a fine balance. I live off solar panels and have enough free spare electric. The electric 'cost' is neglible, pumps run on demand, and the UV is a drop in the bucket, consuming like 18w or something. (again running on demand). As mentioned I don't have space for a rainwater setup. Plus it's summer. I can't work out why I'd wanting to be waiting for it to rain and take showers sparingly when I have a huge body of water sitting here.
>>
Have you looked at this?

http://www.cdc.gov/safewater/sand-filtration.html
>>
>>1000510
yes. previously examined both slow and rapid sand filters. I've deduced a combination of carbon based filter (extracellular) and UV (once the turbidity is down) is most effective & convenient for my situation

Back to the original question, is there any plumbers here, that know how to screw in a pump hose to a water filter? I'm trying to work out what connectors to buy.
>>
>>1000517
>ARE there any plumbers here, that know how to screw in a pump hose to a water filter?

the first filter is meant to tap into a copper water line running to a sink, the second is meant to tap into the main water line for the entire house

what you would need depends on the kind of hose coming out the pump or whatever is sending the water to the filter
>>
>>1000525
>>1000525
Thanks for the response

>the first filter is meant to tap into a copper water line running to a sink

So let's say I want to use that- http://www.screwfix.com/p/high-performance-water-filter-kit/37975#product_additional_details_container

Here is the datasheet: http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_457898.pdf

According to the manual it comes with 6.35 mm (1/4") plastic tubing on the inlet/outlet, and then a saddle valve which is supposed to essentially pierce the copper/brass or pvc pipe and divert water into the filters inlet. In theory I could use 1/2" hose on the pumps outlet, and use the saddle valve to tap into that, right?, although not sure how effective it would be on a hose...or If I happened to have 1/4" hose, skip that step directly and run straight into the filter?

Onto the second more common 10" style filter

There's a guy who's done the same thing I want to do here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtx_WBAflUw He even gives the part numbers required

The problem is there's no Lowes or Home depot where I live. I went into two DIY stores and looked for similar things, I couldn't find anything. I asked the staff but they either didn't understand or said these filters can't be plugged into hoses..

I've been looking for male connectors to screw into the 3/4" NPT inlet on the filter I was looking to buy, I've just noticed it comes with male/male adaptors.

Meaning I think all that's needed to connect a hose to this 3/4" NPT connection is something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-4-inch-Metal-Threaded-Connector/dp/B0034G5NSG

does that seem right?
>>
>>1000546
I really don't think it's meant to tap into a hose...not to mention 1/4" is really small for the amount of water to go through it (the intended use is a pretty small faucet)

I would definitely recommend the 2nd one, for easier installing and longer life..

again, it depends on what kind of hose is coming from the pump, or the first filter....the guy from that video is likely in the US, and using adapters with garden hose threads...that amzn item looks to be some kind of quick connect? is that what is coming into the filter? (I don't know why there was one in the video, you shouldn't be regularly disconnecting it, right?)

if you are going to use a garden/rv/washing machine hose with GHT threads, you can find adapters with male 3/4" npt thread and 3/4" ght threads (I didn't see any on amzn uk, but on the us site they sell them for $10 or so)

for the outlet, since it should not be under pressure if it's just going to a storage tank, you could simply use a 3/4" npt hose barb adapter with vinyl or whatever hose...otherwise use a 3/4" pvc adapter like in the video

I would highly recommend using a 3/4" ball valve before the filter for cleaning and changing the filter (it would be much better than a garden hose one)

feel free to ask for clarification, this might all be hard to understand
>>
File: imige.jpg (126 KB, 826x372) Image search: [Google]
imige.jpg
126 KB, 826x372
>>1000556
here's basically what I tried to say
>>
>>1000556
>>1000564

First off, thank you for taking the time to respond clearly, and with a diagram! I will go with the second option

I could use any garden hose to connect from the pump outlet. I was thinking a 1/2 inch diameter hose, since this is a standard size readily available. The linked amazon item was a designed to connect to a standard hozelock type hose into a male 3/4" NPT connector (like a standard outdoor faucet). That's exactly the fitting that the water filter has, once you put the male to male 3/4 NPT nipple into the female NPT threaded inlet.

I saw some adaptors, linked below. A set of 5 plastic ones for about $4, and some probably more sturdy brass ones

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hose-connector-set-5-pcs/70310
>parts: 1 x ½"-¾" tap adaptor, 2 x ½" hose connectors and 2 x ½" water stop hose connectors.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/brass-hose-fitting-set-4-pieces-4-pcs/13866
>parts: ½" female connector, ¾" tap connector, ½" connector with water stop and self-centring hose nozzle.

Am I correct in thinking those are all the parts that are needed to handle the inlet side of things? (Feeding water to the filter, from the pump?)
>>
>>1000572
are you sure about those thread sizes? pretty sure that adapter is meant to fit the hose size in your country, NPT is not the same thing

if the pump has the right hose thread outlet, then you could use a quick connect hose with a 2nd quick connect going to the filter/ball valve, but you would need an adapter to go from 3/4" bsp (I believe that's what it is) to 3/4" npt
>>
>>1000576
in the US, GHT (garden hose thread) is not the same as NPT (national pipe thread)...you may have two fittings that are both 3/4", but they won't go together properly
>>
>>1000576
not sure at all, never even done any diy before, not heard of most of these things till today, especially GHT. I know I can get the hose fitted to the pump easily, and get the 3/4" adapter fitted onto the output of the hose. The only question is whether it will fit on to the filter. have no clue why the filter is NPT anyway if it's manufactured and sold here, nor why there are multiple standards existing..

50% of people seem to say NPT is incompatible with BSP, 50% seem to say it will work fine. I guess the only way to find out is to buy it and try out. Can't see any stores that sell NPT to BST convertors
>>
>>1000608
it doesn't make much sense that it would not have "native" threads...I didn't read much into it, but I thought I saw that it would technically fit together, but it wouldn't seal properly

(GHT is used for just hoses (garden/washing machine/etc.) and isn't manufactured the same way pipe threads are....apart from that, most things like water and gas (at least they used to) use npt threads)

I just looked on ebay and there were some from china and the uk, might be worth a look
>>
File: 20120628161447.gif (143 KB, 581x531) Image search: [Google]
20120628161447.gif
143 KB, 581x531
If you can tolerate the sound, look up ram pumps for a pump that is powered by river flow. Super cool way to pump, and although it needs particular circumstances to work i think you fill them.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.