[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/ In two weeks, I'm starting a job as an electricians
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 1456111742560.png (124 KB, 500x587) Image search: [Google]
1456111742560.png
124 KB, 500x587
Hey /diy/

In two weeks, I'm starting a job as an electricians helper. If it goes well, I'd eventually like to get tested and become an apprentice. I was wondering, what tools should I bring for the first day?
>>
>>1000422
Ask them.
>>
>>1000422
Why do you need to spend time as a helper? I have zero experience and am not attending school until August, and I just landed an apprenticeship with a fire alarm contractor. It's probably no difference though, if you plan to stick with the same employer through it all.

Anyway, my boss took me to Home Depot on my first day and picked stuff out. If yours doesn't do that, Commercial Electric, albeit a second-rate brand, sells a cheap 22 piece it with a convenient bag. It does not include a conduit reamer, adjustable wrench, magnetic level, magnetic tape measure, or utility knife. For those, go with Klein, the most respected electrical tool brand, when you can. I would also get a tool belt (one unit is fine for now) a Sharpie, and steel toed boots. Your employer should supply safety gear no matter what. If you are Union, your employer will not supply power tools. You probably don't need them now, but you will need a drill and a band saw, maybe a sawzall. A typical non-union employer will supply these, though you will not own them.

Before getting loaded up on this stuff, ask your employer. A helper probably doesn't need half this stuff.
>>
>>1000422

screwdrivers
linesman pliers
utility knife
wire strippers
>>
>>1000442

Because it takes about a year from taking the test to starting at as an apprentice, and being a helper is a good way to get used to the environment and maybe pick up some basics while making money.

Id like to at least start off in a union
>>
>>1000442

Also thanks for the advice

Idk what its like in your area, but Im in Chicago so theres probably just more rules or standards for who companies take as an apprentice, especially for union shops.
>>
Sparky here

I would start with insulated pliers side cutters and screwdrivers
Conduit cutters
A bullet level
Tape measure
Gyprock saw
Marker pen
Stanley knife
These are the bare essentials I carry on my pouch (along with my test equipment)

As a greenhorn I wouldn't expect you to have test equipment and more specific tools.
A good tool pouch and hammer should be next on your list
>>
Scissors
USB oscilloscope
Stud finder
Rubber kitchen gloves
Nail bag
Hammer
X-acto knife
Tape measure
Screw driver
>>
>>1000475
I'm actually in Chicago too. Again, it probably doesn't make much of a difference other than job titles.
>>
>>1000431
This.

Every specific job is different, and this question alone will likely impress them.
>>
>>1000422
Low voltage electrician here.
First day, if my green helper comes with a good attitude, I'm fucking stoked. I have spare shitty tools I don't mind loaning out.
Got a small pouch on me at all times, and really never have to dig into my tool bag. Carry my 11 in 1, long flathead, sharpie, 2 pairs of channellocks, dykes, strippers, level, 2 terminating screwdrivers, tape and zip ties.
For certain contractors, they don't allow wirenuts so then I'd carry my crimpers too, and then if it's a data job, obviously my data crimpers and punch down.
Drill, mini bandsaw, tape measure, and meter, but I hook that shit on my belt. That covers like 99%.
>>
>>1000677
Lol low voltage electrician

Don't u mean a telephone repairman
>>
3rd period apprentice here OP

don't listen to these fags. As a helper or as a first year u barely need ANY tools

ONLY BUY THE FOLLOWING:
lineman pliers
Cheap wire strippers
Flat blade screwdriver and Phillips
A pencil and notepad
And lastly a toolbar you like to carry that shit in.
If you buy anything else you're just eating you're money. You're not even an apprentice yet don't go blowing alot of cash on tools seriously

The list I gave above can get you through most of your apprenticeship
>>
Buy the basics that these anons listed, then get more things as you work, you will find a need for new tools as you go and you can buy them accordingly.
Just don't forget to be persistent and always helpful towards your jobs, show interest and ask questions. Most Electricians love to talk about their work.
If you lack a tool im sure someone will lend it to you until the weekend so you can pick up what you need from the depot.
>>
>>1000422
Shovel,
Lineman's pliers,
Wire stretcher,
Utility knife,
Strippers
>>
Leatherman Wave
Ratchet set
Flavored wire lubricant
Straight razor (or X-acto knife)
Wire brush
A small container of safety pins
Colored pencils

This should get you started. Godspeed and good luck, OP
>>
notepad and pen to take down coffee orders
>>
what third world country do you live in that you actually need to bring tools?
>>
>>1003201
Theft is such a problem in the US and many tradesman prefer their tools of choice that it's traditional in many fields to outfit your own tool belt. The cost is relatively trivial and you get what you want.
>>
>>1003201
In the USA, contractors are stereotypically Mexican.

In a land where the stereotypical contractor is essentially from the third world, would you expect to be provided tools?
>>
I'm a house basher (residential electrician). I personally would recommend a fuller set of tools as soon as you could afford one. Especially if you end up liking the trade; get a drill and impact ASAP. Obviously a basic set of electrical hand tools and a pouch will do for now. Don't forget an idiot stick like a Fluke LVD-2. The more tools you have the more valuable you are, you make more money, you can do more, so you can learn more and become better at your job as well.

How do you guys work with just a tool pouch? I use a full three piece electricians tool belt. It carries my drill, hammer, tape, wire nuts, fasteners, hand tools, etc. I figure the less walking back to my van or tool box the better.
>>
>>1001766
Houses are considered low voltage, itility poles are considered high voltage.
>>
>>1004845
>Theft is such a problem

Non-tradesman here (useless f*** that I am):
Excuse my naïveté, but who steals your gear, where, and how? I thought you carried most of your gear? Is a small locking toolbox on wheels overkill?
>>
>>1000422
helper?
side cutters, lineman pliers, strippers, green robertson, red robertson.
>>
>>1005485
On large sites if you set it down, it can grow legs, and for many jobs you can wear most of what you need. Locking job boxes are popular as is marking your tools VERY visibly. Some companies do it too, often with a healthy shot of spray paint besides etching so the tool won't pawn for anything. Pink is popular.
>>
>>1003201
Most often your employer supplies and maintains all the power tools and youre only responsible for the hand tools in your belt

>>1005485

Around here it happens most often after the day is over and everyone is gone. Residential bang doors and job locks will only delay a determined crackhead.

It's gotten so bad my boss has to hire a "security" guy to spend the night in the houses when they're inbetween the electrical/plumbing rough in and drywall. Just so all the copper won't walk off.

They'll jack anything from you, trailers, power tools,work lights, squirrel fans, saw stands,hell even power cords sometimes. And this is middle of nowhere nebraska I'd hate to deal with this shit in a more "populated" area
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.