[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else not into the cult of Stan Lee? It's either hardcore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: stan-lee.jpg (898 KB, 1500x948) Image search: [Google]
stan-lee.jpg
898 KB, 1500x948
Anyone else not into the cult of Stan Lee? It's either hardcore fans of his or casual fans that think he's a saint.

Guy's a poor writer, but also a businessman first and foremost, among many other well known facts about him.
>>
He's an old guy that made old comics, there aren't many of those people left.
>>
He's like 93 years old. Do you think he's gives a shit about you being too cool for him?
>>
>>83295467
>Guy's a poor writer, but also a businessman first and foremost
Yeah pretty much

I think the people who dislike Stan go way too far sometimes. He deserves credit for his co-plotting and scripting. He was able to filter strong personalities like Kirby and Ditko to give them mass market appeal and I love me some pure unfiltered Kirby and Ditko, but I think reading their work with Lee really helped me get into them

If anyone is the "bad guy" at Marvel it's got to be Martin Goodman
>>
>>83295467
>>83295587
>Stan Lee
>Poor writer
And yet here he is, his work the love of millions, the basis of multiple billion dollar movies, and you guys are typing away on a Korean cartoon message board.
>>
>>83295467
Thank you for your input, anon. But, as a member of the Cult of Excelsior, I will have to transfer your information to Mr. Lieber so that he may add you to the waiting list of souls he shall feast on. Consider this not a warning, but a blessing. Your life shall take on a greater purpose than it normally would, in the care of Stan Lee.

Excelsior!
>>
>>83295467
>Guy's a poor writer
He was pretty great on FF and Spider-Man, if nothing else.
>>
I think he was carried hard by his wonderful artists.
>>
Why do people always create a new thread when things don't go their way in a previous thread. Pretty shit-posty.
>>83290536
Original thread of discussion.
>>
You shouldn't be able to post an opinion ITT unless you've read at least enough silver age comics to be able to compare Stan versus everyone else of the era, which I don't think will be true of most people decrying Stan Lee.

His work stood out at the time; it became worse over time because he took time away from writing, it was a skill he lost. I don't care to read a story he'd write now, the same way I wouldn't trust a guy who flew planes in WWII to fly a commercial airline once every few years today.

But there's no denying he was a hell of a force in the 60s before television took him away and Roy Thomas was groomed past his English teacher roots to actually write stories that weren't lessons for middle school America.
>>
>>83295733
I think Silver Surfer is his best work
>>
Is it a fair assessment to compare him to Steve Jobs?
>>
>>83296105
Stan Lee didn't go full dumdum and forgo modern medicine, so no
>>
File: 1463915611473.png (128 KB, 1315x424) Image search: [Google]
1463915611473.png
128 KB, 1315x424
>>83295467
We have a first stager over here!
>>
Stan Lee created Spider-Man so its ok
>>
>>83296453
Second* stager, idiot
>>
>>83295467
I do not observe the opinions towards him you are describing.

Most of the people are like "Oh cool thats Stan Lee" or "Wow look a Stan Lee cameo appearance, haha funny" and then move on, thats it.
>>
File: 1428896257741.gif (1011 KB, 300x217) Image search: [Google]
1428896257741.gif
1011 KB, 300x217
>>83296476
>Stan Lee created Spider-Man
>>
>>83295467
>Guy's a poor writer

Not really. His dialogue has tons of personality and he was a top tier idea guy. The fact that his narrations were verbose doesn't change that.
>>
>>83295587
>Martin Goodman

Absolute fucking rat bastard.
>>
While I don't respect Stan for cheating so many out of the due credit they deserved, he did however give Marvel a wonderfully infectious atmosphere like that of a father figure dramatically unveiling a new toy for his young, impressionable son
>>
File: one_or_the_other.gif (204 KB, 504x705) Image search: [Google]
one_or_the_other.gif
204 KB, 504x705
>>83296845
Is Spider-Man a highly politicized Randian ideal who uses his spider powers to demonstrate the values of objectivism?

No?

Then Stan Lee (co) created Spider-Man
>>
File: 1462397842124.png (130 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
1462397842124.png
130 KB, 400x320
>Stan Lee supports Hydra Cap
>suddenly, this thread
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.