[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /ck/, is it possible to prepare my own sashimi-grade fish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: sashimi-2.jpg (35 KB, 660x330) Image search: [Google]
sashimi-2.jpg
35 KB, 660x330
Hi /ck/, is it possible to prepare my own sashimi-grade fish by buying very fresh fish and then freezing it? I'd really like to try making sushi rolls, but I'm a bit stuck on where to buy the right fish. I'm in the UK, if any locals can help me.
>>
>>7774593
It has to be flash-frozen in order to break down cell walls or something. So no. Any local fish market should have some basics like salmon, tuna, yellowtail
>>
>>7774593
In the US, the FDA requires you freeze parasites out of it if you want to sell it for raw consumption.
>The fish intended to be consumed raw must be “frozen and stored at a temperature of -20°C (-4°F) or below for a minimum of 168 hours (7 days)
You should probably just figure out where to buy it already frozen.
>>
I've eaten raw salmon from Waitrose and Sainsbury, they're good if you give them a sniff and there isn't that fishy smell

They freeze them during delivery so you don't have to do it again
>>
>>7774642
thanks m8, that's exactly the kind of local advice I was hoping for. I'll have a chat with the fishmonger at my local Sainsbury and see what he says.
>>
>>7774593
There is no true regulation for seafood to meet raw consumption standards. The only thing that matters is that it has been frozen at -20 degrees celsius for at least seven days and thus be purged of parasites and their larvae. Unless you get whole fresh fish straight from the ocean/lake, it is extremely likely that any fish you purchase has either been frozen to these standards during processing, or raised in a sterile aquaculture setting.
>>
>>7774593
if you want easy mode, just buy cold smoked salmon. they sell it for jews and their lox, so it can be had fairly easily.
>>
>>7774593
I'm so fucking sick of you people (and I use that term generously) asking about fucking "sushi-grade" salmon. Sushi places sell you the same fucking Chilean farmed horseshit Atlantic salmon that you find in literally every single grocery store in the known world. The ONLY thing that makes it "sushi-grade" is that it is held at a specific temperature for a specific time in order to kill off all the parasite that naturally teem in salmon farms.
>>
>>7776755
t. flyover with no access to fresh fish.
>>
>>7774608
Your understanding of biology and the phases of water makes me suspect that you are a silicon-based lifeform who was abandoned on Earth after the rest of you kind grew tired of your bullshit.
>>
>>7776755
so youre saying i can get the every day salmon filet at the market and be fine?
>>
>>7776755
...okay? I just want some fish I can eat raw dude, no need to sperg out over it.

>>7776742
>smoked salmon
>for sushi
why would you ever do this
>>
>>7774593
Your home freezer likely doesn't get cold enough, sashimi grade fish is frozen in a blast chiller that gets to -40c/-40f
>>
>>7776828
No I'm saying you start with that shit and then you have to bring it down to the appropriate temperature and hold it there for the appropriate amount of time before you eat it raw.
>>
>>7776755
>in order to kill off all the parasite that naturally teem in salmon farms

The chance of being infected with parasites from farmed atlantic salmon is negligable due to the fact that the parasites come from eating infected prey, which is not present in fish farms. Dumbass.

Source:
https://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/fish-shellfish/freezing-requirements-guidance

I say go for it OP. I made a thread a couple weeks ago after buying some farmed atlantic salmon from the grocery store and eating it raw. Pic related
>>
File: 20160530_181504-1.jpg (3 MB, 2636x1897) Image search: [Google]
20160530_181504-1.jpg
3 MB, 2636x1897
>>7777248
>>
>>7777777
>>
>>7777968

no one cares.
>>
>>7777968

go back to /b/ nigger
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.