[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys add a little excitement to brown rice? I add
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: 29186_basic_brown_rice.jpg (324 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
29186_basic_brown_rice.jpg
324 KB, 3000x2000
How do you guys add a little excitement to brown rice? I add a little bit of olive oil to the boiling water but I wonder what else might add some flavor to it.
>>
In turkey the woman used to add some small thin pieces of pasta (vermicelli?). That stuff tasted heavenly, although she probably added other spices too.
>>
idk, brown rice is really tasty to me so i dont see the need to mess with it too much. the earthiness goes well with egg, so you could beat in an egg as its done cooking, or just do it the japanese way and put it in after for a raw egg and rice mix. i use vegeta seasoning to some degree for almost everything i cook and that goes wonderfully too.

other things i think go well with brown rice include butter, pepper, and dill. if you like oils, you may want to play around with sesame oil on it.
>>
Try adding in some green tea.
It gives it an interesting and pleasant flavour.
>>
>1437 the year of our lord Allah
>not having a rice cooker
>ISHYGDDT
>>
File: 15-11-27.jpg (135 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
15-11-27.jpg
135 KB, 500x332
>>7524270

Every time I cook brown rice in my cooker is fucking crunchy. It fucking cooks forever and it's still fucked up.

What am I doing wrong.
>>
>>7524313
Using a rice cooker. Only Asians use rice cookers, and they don't eat brown rice.
>>
Mushrooms make it very savory
>>
>>7524313
Does your rice cooker have a brown rice function? If not you gotta look that shit up, White/Brown have different cooking times/temp
>>
A quarter teaspoon turmeric. I try to have that much daily.
>>
>>7524313
I cook mine in an elevated pan inside a pressure cooker. It's always soft. Remember to out water in both vessels.
>>
It's literally impossible to absorb nutrients from brown rice vecause it has fiber. If you eat too much of it, you'll go into starvation mode and gain weight.
>>
>>7524333
let me guess
you're obese
>>
>>7524333
>impossible to absorb nutrients because of fibers
>if you eat too much of it you'll gain weight
>>
>>7524333
You mean phytic acid, I presume. This is a problem with most grains. There's nothing wrong with fiber itself.
>>
Star anise
>>
Soy sauce and stir fried vegetables.
>>
>>7524486
Not him but I made this nice and thorough explanation with source as to why brown rice is nothing more than a meme so might as well share it.

>>7524135

Dont agree with him on the second part though.
>>
>>7524486
Phytic acid is actually beneficial. Ot prevents butt cancer and stuff. I eat three servings a day of beans specifically for that stuff.
>>
>>7524270
If you want the flavor to be in the rice itself, try adding some citrus. Some lime squeezed in is a great way to brighten the earthen flavor up.

Otherwise just add some toppings. Rice is kinda meant to be plain to mellow out extreme flavors anyway. Kimchi is a fantastic staple food that adds alot of flavors to anything you eat.
>>
>>7524370
Just shitposting in mockery of >>7524492
>>
>cook minced ginger and garlic in olive oil until fragrant but not browned
>add a splash of red wine vinegar, tomato paste, salt and black pepper and crushed red pepper
>add cooked brown rice
>stir to combine

It's good shit
>>
>>7524323

OP here, so I added about a teaspoon of tumeric to about 2 big cups of brown. It added a great aroma but but not a lot of flavor.
>>
>>7524492
>brown rice is nothing more than a meme
But it tastes good.
>>
>>7524508
Tasting good is fine. I myself eat brown rice as well. I was specifically referring to a side discussion over its nutritive value.
>>
>>7524492
You're an uninformed idiot and your source is garbage. "Fiber" is not a homogeneous group of compounds, it is extremely diverse and heterogeneous. You probably cannot even name a single class of fibers by name. Arabinoxylan, lignin, verbascose, kestose, ever heard of them? Of course you fucking haven't, "Fiber" does not absorb water and "fiber" does not form viscous solutions. Anybody who talks about "fiber" as if it was a category of compounds with common properties beyond simply being indigestible is obviously fucking clueless.
Also protip: Some fibers drastically increase mineral absorption
>>
>>7524500
zest does a lot more for rice
>>
>>7524270
Tiny splash of soy sauce, sprinkle of cayenne or black pepper, sunflower seeds or peanuts, whatever's around that I want to eat on rice.
>>
>>7524525
None of what you have said contradicts my statement in any way.

I also note that you have provided zero academic sources for your statements, including "Fiber does not absorb water and fiber does not form viscous solutions" which is a painfully false statement.

>"The tendency of mixed linkage oat beta-glucan to form viscous solutions"

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/44653824_Processing_Affects_the_Physicochemical_Properties_of_b-Glucan_in_Oat_Bran_Cereal

>"One physicochemical property of fiber, viscosity, is recognized as affecting physiological responses (2). Viscous dietary fibers thicken when mixed with fluids; they include polysaccharides such as gums, pectins, and β-glucans. The degree of thickening when exposed to fluids depends on the chemical composition and concentration of the polysaccharide "

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/4/913.full

>"Both soluble and insoluble hemicelluloses play important roles in food products, the former functioning as soluble and the latter as insoluble fibre. They are characterized by their ability to bind water and hence serve as bulking agents."

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w8079e/w8079e0h.htm

Go roleplay as educated with someone that doesn't know what they are talking about. Nice use of google to find those terms btw.

Also protip: Maybe next time try not to follow it up with fake statements and maybe someone will believe you.
>>
>>7524270
That doesn't look brown to me.
>>
>>7524591
That's what cooked brown rice usually looks like.
>>
>>7524333
Is this true?
>>
>>7524610
No. I was le trolling. Fiber, as part of a whole plant food, is good.
>>
>>7524610
The second half is bogus. But the part about the fiber of the brown rice negating it's nutrients is true. I already linked the explanation a few posts above. Don't listen to these retards that dont want to believe it.

Again, there is a reason that people that have lived almost exclusively on rice, relying on it in times of starvation when there was nothing else to eat, for thousands of years eat the white stuff.
>>
>>7524270
>>7524507
Half a teaspoon of ground cumin per cup of rice. Smells amazing, tastes even better. Into the water you're cooking your rice in, and don't you dare drain it. Use the soaking method.
>>
>>7524506
this sounds quite good desu
>>
>>7524270
One whole Star anise and a few cracked cardamon pods give it a fragrant taste.
>>
>>7524333
All fruits and vegetables have fibre...the nutrients are definitely still absorbed
>>
Use stock instead of water, you dummies.
>>
I like to add some fish sauce.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.