[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is veganism a good diet to take up?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: 1459287894049.jpg (137 KB, 687x819) Image search: [Google]
1459287894049.jpg
137 KB, 687x819
Is veganism a good diet to take up?
>>
Eat like a man, work like a man and you'll be strong like a man. No voodoo gimmicks or new age hippie methods.
>>
>>7520629
If you want. I personally like the thought of creatures being put through stress and death for my benefit. Makes me feel like an ubermensch even while I slave at sweeping floors for clerical workers.
>>
>>7520629
Don't know. A mostly plant based diet combined with weightlifting helped me lose 60lbs and got my middle aged ass of cholesterol meds with the doctor's blessing. So I stick to it. I could never imagine actually being vegan, but I eat like one six days a week. I'm 47, trim, and my grocery bill is next to nothing, leaving me more money to spend on going out to eat and buying nice bottles of wine. Wife hasn't gotten fat yet, either. Works for me.
>>
File: 1457230677263.jpg (45 KB, 550x397) Image search: [Google]
1457230677263.jpg
45 KB, 550x397
>>7520657
>47
>still on 4chan
>>
memes
>>
>>7520657
>grocery bill is next to nothing

Is meat really that expensive?
>>
meat just tastes so good familia
>>
>>7520669
Just the opposite. I've already lived so many things off the list of childhood dreams (many several times over) that I can piss away countless hours here without giving a fuck.

In real life I actually get paid for my opinions, so I have to be sure they are well considered. My name is associated with a level of gravitas that I'm professionally sought out for.

But here I get to be a nobody who can argue about steak sauce or the relative merits of Levant, Anatolian and Eastern European cuisine without it mattering one bit to my real life world. That's fun, and something of a luxury.

I know the joke is many of us are here because we have nowhere else to go. For some that may be true. But for others we're here because we spend enough time being who we are in real places that's it's liberating to be just another nobody.

I've loved this about 4chan for over a decade.
>>
>>7520743
good shit nigga. what kind of opinions do you give?
>>
I actually think the only good reasons to be vegan are ideological. It's not fucking healthy, but I can't deny that animal product industries are fucked up on many levels.

Eat mostly plants. Try to get good meat from local places. Don't forget your fats.
>>
>>7520760
It's stupid. I get paid (not fat money, but enough to live pretty well) for my opinions on music, food and wine. They called my generation the "slackers", so the fact that I only have to bust my ass here and there because I developed some expertise in a couple fields that people are willing to pay me for is sweet.

Cooking vegan is about to be one of them.
>>
>>7520629
In my opinion, it is not. A good diet to take up should include all the vitamines and minerals in form of food, not pills.
Eating healthy is the best diet. 4-6 times a day - if you want to "overclock" your metabolism.
If you choose veganism because of your principles - good. But please, don't try to make people think it's super heroic thing to do, or to shame them for being corpse eating amoral bastards.
>>
>>7520629
if you want to chemically castrate you, yes.
>>
Absolutely not. Any entry level nutrition class will already disprove the vegan meme. Plants cannot provide adequate nutrition because the amount of fiber you intake alongside, Is itself anti-nutritious.

It's like the brown rice meme. People that relied on rice for thousands of years for the majority of their food intake and they decided to discard the part with the nutrients? Well your local vegan telling you brown rice is healthier certainly knows better than billions of people facing starvation over thousands of years. The extra fiber in brown rice cancels out the potential tiny amounts of nutrients it provides.

Here's the problem. A vegan diet is much healthier than a McDonald's diet. Sure, if you are going from eating fast food to being a vegan your going to be healthier. But an otherwise vegan diet with some meat and fish added in is even healthier. End of story.
>>
>>7520743
>I know the joke is many of us are here because we have nowhere else to go. For some that may be true. But for others we're here because we spend enough time being who we are in real places that's it's liberating to be just another nobody.
39 here, can confirm
>>
It's basically a religion for people mad at humanity destroying the environment. Truth is meat is a great source of vitamins you need to be healthy. We, in the west, could eat less meat and get it from more sustainable sources. Since I don't care I'm gonna munch this jerky, anyway.
>>
>>7520743
>>7520978
This isn't a fantasy adulthood thread. Try /b/.
>>
>>7520976
>the amount of fiber you intake alongside, Is itself anti-nutritious
Source
>The extra fiber in brown rice cancels out the potential tiny amounts of nutrients it provides.
Source
>>
File: 1457303953941.png (178 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1457303953941.png
178 KB, 500x374
Vegetarianism is cool

Veganism is fedora tier
>>
Some meat is objectively terrible for you, processed meat gives you cancer, red meat probably gives you cancer, large quantities of dairy/cheese are terrible. You can be completely healthy being a vegan, vegetarian, pescetarian, or omnivore, it doesn't matter as long as you're not a retard. Whether you're a vegan or eat meat with every single meal, if you pay no attention to what you're eating, you'll probably have problems as a result. B12 deficiency is a common problem for vegans but 40% of the country is b12 deficient because the vast majority of people know absolutely nothing about nutrition
>>
>>7520986
Believe to or not /ck/ has more people over 35 than most boards.
>>
>>7521017
But all of them degenerates.
>>
>>7521016
everything gives you cancer
>>
>>7521016
>% of the country is b12 deficient
No... Eating a small quantity of any animal product is enough to get adequate B12, and the body can store enough B12 to last half a decade
>>
>>7521026
And you're who I was referring to when I said
> the vast majority of people know absolutely nothing about nutrition

You could take 3 seconds to see that tens of millions of Americans are B12 deficient.
>>
File: 1430100689342.jpg (404 KB, 762x785) Image search: [Google]
1430100689342.jpg
404 KB, 762x785
>>7521019
>being an adult is degeneracy
Found the 15 year old
>>
>>7521017
I'm over 35, too.
>>7521019
Can't say for sure. Could be they're the cool people who find it fun to be retarded and shitpost anonymously in an era of crappy internet un-anonymity. Do you think the cool kids in every generation suddenly stop being cool at a certain age? But let me ask you this, since you might be under 35: how much stupid shit do you put out there un-anonymously on social media, and how cool do you think that makes you look?

Also, vegans are dorks.
>>
>>7521048
I only use social media to silently stalk hot chicks.
>>
I'm vegan during the week week and vegetarian during the weekends. How much of a flaming faggot am I? I'm 25, for reference.
>>
Most people move away from being picky eaters.

Only idiots decide to become one later in life.
>>
Shit, I always forget how old /ck/ is.
Damn, /ck/, you old.

and here I am, pissing away my 20s.
>>
>>7522437
>tfw the only two boards you go to regularly are /v/ and /ck/
the difference is a little surreal, tbqh fampai
>>
>>7520629
Daily reminder that B12 deficiency causes depression and psychosis
>>
>>7522454
one more
and im older than they are
>>
>>7520989
I fucking hate this, you've probably never read a fucking scientific paper in your life. What's with all the non scientists asking for proof and saying they've researched things?
>>
>>7520629
Yea, if you want your hair to thin out, your skin to turn a pale yellow, dark circles around eyes, hunch over and be half-dead when you're 30yrs old, sure, it's a great diet.
>>
>>7523290
The thing about fiber being an antinutrient because you pass food faster is overblown bullshit, though. It only gets coverage because it seems excitingly contrary to common wisdom, but anybody who has really had too much fiber knows that you actually end up getting blocked up. People need to stop posting crap as though it were fact.
>>
>>7523606
>anybody who has really had too much fiber knows that you actually end up getting blocked up
Only if you are dehydrated.

drink more water

t. your kidneys
>>
>>7522443
>fampai

we are now officially fampires. spread the meme
>>
>>7523290
God forbid you have to back up your ridiculous claims
>>
>>7520989
>>7523606
>>7523743

I really shouldn't need any source here. It is an accepted fact. It has nothing to do with the transit time, as was already mentioned, with proper water intake relative to fiber intake, transit time should be regular.

What becomes the issue is that fiber itself binds with nutrients as well as physically getting in the way of your bodies enzymes trying to reach the food.

"Indigestible carbohydrates increase the volume of the intestinal contents and absorb water. forming viscous solutions. these effects slow nutrient absorption by affecting passage through the GI tract, by decreasing the amount of contact between nutrients and the absorptive surface of the small intestine, and by reducing contact between digestive enzymes and food ... fiber can also bind to certain minerals preventing their absorption ... Too much fiber can reduce the absorption of these essential minerals ... A high-fiber diet also increases the volume of food needed to meet energy requirements ... Generally, this is only a problem when a diet is low in protein or micronutrients or when a high-fiber diet is consumed by young children, whose small stomach limit the amount of food that they can eat."

Smolin & Grosvenor: Nutrition, Science and Applications (Second Edition).

Again, literally Nutrition 101 stuff here. Too much fiber is just as bad as too little fiber. The extremely small amount of nutrients that whole grains actually provide is negated by the increased fiber intake.

Thousands of years of starving humans living off of grains only electing to eat white grains rather than whole grains for a reason.

The same explanation also applies to why veganism is not a healthy diet. The amount of fiber required to intake adequate nutrients cancels out the nutrients you work so hard to intake.

Remember guys: Eating =/= Absorbing
>>
temporarily. don't do that shit long term.
>>
>>7524135
>A high-fiber diet also increases the volume of food needed to meet energy requirements
So what you're saying is calories in calories out is a myth?
>>
>>7521016
> You can be completely healthy being a vegan

no. unless you want to eat ungodly amounts vegetables. You can get b12 easily through supplements but it will be animal based
>>
>>7524135
>generally this only a problem when a diet is low in protein or micronutrients, or when a high-fiber diet is consumed by young children

Thanks for clarifying
>>
>>7523743
You idiot. I am a scientist, and it annoys me when non scientists ask for sources when they've never read a fucking paper in their lives.
>>
>>7524207
No you're not. There are very few true scientists in this world, and you're not one of them.
>>
>>7524142
Yes, always has been As my professor always said, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is wrong (she was from France, had lots of these cute little sayings).

Ignoring things like fiber, and nutrients, and satiety, lets break it down as simply as we can:
100 grams of fructose will make you more fat than 100 grams of glucose.

The body has hierarchies of preference in which is likes to use energy sources. Glucose is used directly as glucose in the creation of ATP (energy). Sucrose on the other hand is much harder for the body to do. It would much prefer to store the sucrose as fat to be used later in emergency than to use it right away. So yes, a soda sweetened with fructose, namely high fructose corn syrup, will genuinely make you more fat than a soda sweetened with the same exact caloric value of "sugar" (which is a mixture of fructose and glucose).

And worse, because your body trues its best to not use this energy you just consumed, you will have less energy to be active, and probably be less active and end up burning even less kcalories because of this as well.

Now of course some common sense has to be applied here. Just because a 2000 kcalorie diet of french fries and a 2000 kcalorie diet of salads are not the same, doesn't then excuse over-eating 5000 kcalories worth of fruits and vegetables. Its still going to make you fat. But calories should be used as a part of a comprehensive guideline, not as an end-all be-all measurement.
>>
>>7524207
You're clearly not a very good one, because argument usually entails citing sources.

Being a scientist and reading papers regularly doesn't exclude someone from being fair and objective.
>>
>>7524207
Yeah man, gonna have to go with the other guys on this one. I apprentice where your frustration is coming from but sources are so critical to science. So many people make baseless claims o the internet these days I myself never trust someone unless they provide a source either so I perfectly understand where they are coming from. The 10 minutes of digging up my old notes and finding the section in the text to quote was well worth the affirmation of what I am saying and the spread of knowledge amongst others.
>>
Yes, a plant based diet is healthy. You will get what the body needs if you eat a diverse mix of plant foods (fruits, veg, legumes, nuts), and you'll drastically decrease your likelihood of getting heart disease.

Getting enough protein is easy. Make sure you get B12 somehow, though.
>>
>>7520743
epic post
>>
are there any regular vegetarians anymore? seems like they all have to go super edgy vegan now or nothing.
>>
>>7520629
There's no reason beyond the ethical to resort to veganism, a pescatarian diet is far superior. Meat in general is fine in moderation, the problem with meat these days is that we eat far, far too much of it. Not to mention industrial farming pumping it with hormones.
>>
>>7520743
Underrated post.
>>
>>7520685
you can get all the calories and protein you need for the day on 50 cents of rice and beans
>>
>>7524731
No you can't.
>>
>>7524738
well not if you buy canned beans and don't buy bulk rice
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.