[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: /ck/ related cringe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: disgusted-chef-bad-food.jpg (274 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
disgusted-chef-bad-food.jpg
274 KB, 1000x665
>People who think they're master chefs and don't measure
>Everything they make is inconsistent as fuck
>>
"Superfood"
>>
File: 71dFDb8ZvgL._SL1020_[1].jpg (149 KB, 735x1020) Image search: [Google]
71dFDb8ZvgL._SL1020_[1].jpg
149 KB, 735x1020
>>
Foods that are more powdered ingredients than anything else
>>
>>7208715
>100% juice
>from concentrate
>>
>>7208705
Some people know how to measure with their gut friend. Anyway, my cringe is also measuring related.
>they measure out ingredients with the imperial system
>>
>>7208705
If you work in food prep for long enough, you'll likely be able to estimate quantities without the need of measurement tools and still get a consistent product
it's a tad bit annoying when somebody does it wrong though.
>>
>>7208705
See thats funny. Mine is

>they only ever measure ingredients and never operate based on their tastes
>>
>>7208730
>measuring with intestines instead of spoons and cups
>>
>>7208740

That's only necessary for the first few attempts.
>>
>>7208705
>People who think they're master chefs and browse /ck/
>>
I always measure main ingredients like flour but measuring spices is autistic.
>>
>people who make troll threads like this
seriously, third one in few days.
>>
>>7209093
/ck/ is like 50% stay at home moms.
>>
>>7209093
Anyone who uses the term chef to refer to someone who is not in charge of a restaurant kitchen.
>>
>>7209171
>salt cured anchovies

puking-anime-girl.jpg
>>
>>7208782

people who don't taste everything they cook at multiple stages during the cooking process is my biggest cringe.

cooking by tasting your food and knowing how to fix whatever when it's not right is the proper way to do it. people who don't do that make me cringe.

for baking you need to measure, but for most other things you really don't need to be a complete autist by measuring every little thing.
>>
>>7210967
>taste everything they cook at multiple stages during the cooking process

Why? That's so pointless if you have the portions right, the heat at the proper temp, and the cooking time down to the second.

Your food will come out exactly the same every time. You will have a manufacturing level of consistency. It's an art and a science.

It feels so great when I find a perfect combination and my food comes out perfect every time. I can't imagine going back to tasting and adjusting.
>>
>>7211005

you're a shitty cook if you have to rely on your autistic "portions", and you've obviously never worked in a kitchen before.

to cook with a manufacturing level of consistency you need to have a good palate and you need to know how something is supposed to taste so you can adjust and correct. like, yeah, i know ballpark of how much of everything i need to add to whatever to make it taste like it should, but it usually needs some kind of adjustment depending on portion size, etc.

there's no TIME to measure shit like an autistic retard. you're a bad cook if you have to stick to your recipes in order to make food.
>>
>"Disposable" salt and pepper grinders
>Cap locked on with the force of a bank vault

Sorry, I thought this was a rage thread.
>>
>>7211034
>to cook with a manufacturing level of consistency you need to have a good palate and you need to know how something is supposed to taste so you can adjust and correct.

That's exactly why I said you only need to make adjustments for the first few attempts. Obviously the first time will most likely not be perfect, but once you do find the perfect balance, you can achieve the exact same results by following the exact same procedure.
>>
>>7211093

right, but when you change up variables then you need to make adjustments.

i taste everything i sell, every single time. it's the only way to make consistent food and it's basically one of the first thing you learn working under any good chef.

cooking isn't an exact science like baking or molecular gastronomy. the latter two need to be precise, but the former is all about feel and manipulating hte ingredients to taste how you feel that they should.
>>
>>7208708
>Sees Alton Brown talk about unitaskers once.
>>
>>7211125

wat
>>
File: 1278017900486.jpg (20 KB, 441x408) Image search: [Google]
1278017900486.jpg
20 KB, 441x408
>>7208705
>measuring spices
>not just spicing to the proper taste
>>
>>7211124
>right, but when you change up variables then you need to make adjustments.

Clearly.

>i taste everything i sell, every single time. it's the only way to make consistent food

No, it's not.

>cooking isn't an exact science like baking or molecular gastronomy

Yes it is.
>>
>>7211005
Hey, Chef de Autismo! Even if you have your "perfect combination" of spices or portioning, your dish will still never be perfect.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the shittiest cook on /ck/.
>>
>>7211133
>Using less convenient methods
>>
>>7211140
>your dish will still never be perfect

In theory, no. No one food is perfect.
>>
>>7211144
>not tasting as you cook to make sure the dish comes out exactly to your liking
>>
>>7211231
>Implying I need to when I already know the exact amount I need
>>
Who /doastisready/ here?
>>
File: bacon.jpg (338 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
bacon.jpg
338 KB, 1200x800
>>
>>7211064
Oddly, the Aldi brand is the only cheap, disposable pepper grinder I've had that twists off.
>>
>>7211111
DESIGNATED
>>
>>7211124
I'm gonna agree with you. Not a professional anymore, but the only way you can make something taste good is by tasting it. Recipes get you in the ballpark, but there are just too many variables in the kitchen and in your ingredients on a case by case basis that the first and final judge is your palate. It does make me cringe when somebody serves me something that wasn't so great when I watched them not taste it once while they seasoned it or before they served it to me. Are you kidding me? Hell, I have a great palate, but I ask for second and third opinions before I serve something. I guess my pet peeve is when someone has such a huge ego that it gets in the way of good food. Knock that shit off, people. Cooking for other people is about making them happy.
>>
>>7209184
This.
I gave up my dreams of being a chef when I decided not to open up my own place...

>inb4 chef literally just means cook.
If you're american, just call yourself a cook. If you are really good at it, call yourself a cook. If you managed other cooks, call yourself a chef.
>>
>>7211140
I can give you, and 4 other people the same portions of ingredients and spices. Then have you cook the same meal.

I guarantee you they won't all taste the same.
>>
>>7208705
>not seasoning to account for variance in ingredients.

This is why we taste everything.
>>
>>7212077

Because they all do something differently. Maybe someone cooked something too long, maybe someone cooked something at too high of heat. Maybe someone didn't mix the ingredients properly. If they all prepare and cook it the same way, the food will come out the same from any cook. This is a fact.

>>7212087

If I'm using the same ingredients from the same reputable manufacturer, then the ingredients will be consistent and the dish will be as well.
>>
>>7212734
>If I'm using the same ingredients from the same reputable manufacturer, then the ingredients will be consistent and the dish will be as well.

Maybe for something like salt or baking powder, but most ingredients--fruits, vegetables, spices, herbs, etc, will vary in flavor depending on the season, age, and so on.
>>
>>7208705
my roommate does this shit, even with ingredients hes never used before

>roommate says hes gonna make fried rice for dinner
>say Yeah ok man, you can use my eggs if you want
>incredibly loud clanking noises in the kitchen for 45 minutes
>its ready!
>tastes burnt and also weirdly soapy at the same time
>look at his mess of ingredients still sitting next to the stovetop
>he opened and used HALF of my new bottle of sesame oil
>also proudly states that he used two tablespoons of dried ginger

Its been two years since then, and I still lie and say i'm not hungry whenever he offers to cook some dinner
>>
>>7212734

maybe i think your recipe is shit, and i need to adjust a couple things to make it taste good to my palate?

my palate is on point. i work at getting better at tasting things and developing a greater understanding of the nuances of flavor combinations by TASTING EVERY FUCKING THING.

oh, this is a little salty. let's pour out a bit of the liquid and add some butter and more stock; re-adjust your vinegar or lemon/lime/whatever acid, and taste again. leave it a little bland but balanced and reduce if you want a thicker, tighter whatever. season it a bit more if you want to keep the end result loose and liquidy.

shit like risotto is NOT an exact science. is it a little overdone when it was par-cooked? rip it hard on high heat with just a bit of stock and some butter. al dente? lots of stock and medium heat.. salt to taste depending on how salty the water was that the risotto was par boiled in and also depending on whether you add fats like butter, marscapone, or other different cheese to the dish. for examply, if you add grated parm/pecorino romano or something of the like, you have to salt it extra hard to neutralize the bitter "bite" and finish of those cheeses so they don't make your dish taste like shit.

if you use something like marscapone, too much salt drowns out the more subtle flavor and it tastes like shit..

these examples exclude adding other flavors like proteins, vegetables, spices, mushrooms, etc. it's not an exact science, man. it's trial and error and having confidence that you know how to make something balanced and delicious.
>>
File: 1449393972333.png (444 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1449393972333.png
444 KB, 800x600
>>7208705
>"im such a great baker! My mom says I could open my own bakery"
>uses volume to measure her ingredients and not weight

well, she was 19 and a realllllly good lay. but goddamn was she retarded
>>
>>7214761

fuuuck..

when you look at baking a recipe that is broken down into grams as the measurement for each ingredient, you can see a pattern for how the different ratios of ingredients work.

i mean i'm cool volume for liquid ingredients.. or using "one whole egg" as a measurement. but for anything that's dry/powdered, using grams is way easier for figuring out what ratios of what work and what don't.

for example, a spongecake i have made a million times:

>6 eggs
>2 egg whites
>240g of nuts
>120g sugar
>40g flour

way easier to scale. or profiterole:

>300g water
>200g flour
>100g butter

easy as fuck to scale. i realize water is a liquid, but in this case it's easier to just do it by weight.
>>
someone post the pasta sauce vid
>>
>>7208705

Only person I know who measures things is my mum and she's a shitty cook, git gud pal.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.