[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what went wrong with sbarro?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: sbarro.jpg (94 KB, 1024x668) Image search: [Google]
sbarro.jpg
94 KB, 1024x668
what went wrong with sbarro?
>>
they were only in malls in canada and charged like $10 for a slice of pizza (when our dollar was almost on par with the usa...) and some small sides...

THE FREE MARKET SMACKED THEIR SHIT.
>>
Their quality didn't compare to the price they charged
>>
They were all in malls and malls are going under.
>>
File: $4.00 slice.jpg (119 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
$4.00 slice.jpg
119 KB, 1024x576
you guys wouldn't eat this?
>>
File: pizza1.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
pizza1.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
This entire pizza I made earlier cost pretty much the same as a single slice of that garbage.

>>7135002
>>
>>7135388
saltiest pizza in world
>>
>>7135255
what went right with sbarro?
really. how did this chain ever exist?
I'd say the same for other mall chain restaurants like... hotdog on a stick, but those bizarre uniforms on cute girls churning vats of lemonade compels people to stand in line. sbarro though? what did they ever do right?
>>
File: blushcat.jpg (40 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
blushcat.jpg
40 KB, 200x200
I like sbarro
>>
File: 2015-12-03_19-20-28.png (310 KB, 350x301) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-03_19-20-28.png
310 KB, 350x301
>>7135432

back in the day they had killer pepperoni rolls.
>>
>>7135255
it was no fazoli's
>>
File: lemonade.png (259 KB, 351x459) Image search: [Google]
lemonade.png
259 KB, 351x459
>>7135432
>>
$3.50 for a plain slice is what went wrong

its the weirdest thing, because the one benefit of a chain is even though your quality will suffer the volume by which you purchase your ingredients in allows you to charge less money than smaller operations.

but its actually true of all pizza chains now that I think about it, except for little caesars.

a pie at dominos costs as much or more than a pie at a regular pizzeria and you get much less from it.
>>
Pepsi
>>
I've only ever seen Sbrarro at airports and rest stops. I know they are entitled to charging for convenience, but at $5 a slice I'd rather just snack off the similarly overpriced vending machine.
>>
I can get a whole large pepperoni pizza for 11 dollars locally, so 4 dollars, even for a huge slice like that, is not worth the price. also there are much better restaurants in a mall and no one goes to malls anyways
>>
But I like Sbarro I always get it when I go into Massachusetts
>>
I used to have a love-hate thing for their stromboli. So ungodly salty and acidic though. If I had to do any physical activity afterwards I'd cramp up bad.
>>
>>7135255
There was never anything right with it in the first place. It was always greasy ass shit with a sheen on it from sitting under heat lamps. It was also overpriced and smelled like crap.
>>
>>7135255
It was probably started in NYC as some money laundering scheme for the mob. Remember the cocaine pizza connectoin from the 1980s.
>>
>>7135626
except mall rats hanging out at hot topic
>>
>>7135388
Get fucked.
>>
>>7135255
malls are dying

I don't get the faggots buying slices of pizza, maybe they're retarded. Would just get some meatballs with fresh mozzarella, baked ziti, or fresh stromboli. Pizza? Are you retarded?
>>
File: 1403740001766.png (130 KB, 396x381) Image search: [Google]
1403740001766.png
130 KB, 396x381
>>7136229
>It was always greasy ass shit with a sheen on it from sitting under heat lamps
This. It was terrible, I try'd using napkins to soak up the grease, but they didn't help at all. There was a Panda express nearby too, but their food is always dry af.
>>
>>7135460
A medium at Dominos is $6. What world are you from?
>>
>>7135308
I agree

I went to a mall (that used to be pretty nice in the late 90's-early 00's) in the first time in years last year, and there was no one there.

But there was Sbarro with all their fucking pizzas just sitting there in the window. Its like you get charged for all the pizza that they dont sell
>>
>>7136278
>one too greasy
>one dry as fuck

Combine the two. Problem solved. Merging of two cultured achieved.
>>
>>7135255
Malls started dying off with the rise of Wal Mart and then the internet.
>>
>>7135469
this
>>
>>7135388
Yes, I'll have one bread disc, heavily coated in tomato sauce. Salt the shit out of it, please.

Thanks.
>>
>>7135255
>implying sbarro was ever worthwhile
>>
>go to the mall fuck around with lads and qt junior high girls
>play some simpsons arcade
>buy sbarro and wolf that shit down before going to the movies
>>
>>7135255
It's funny beacause the name sbarro reminds me of sborra that means cum in italian
>>
Their pizza sucked but ill be god damned if the stromboli wasn't the best stromboli I've ever had.
>>
>>7136796
You aren't lying either. This has to be a money laundering scheme.
>>
File: 8131408032_68b29ae6a8_z.jpg (66 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
8131408032_68b29ae6a8_z.jpg
66 KB, 380x380
>>7135255
>mfw co-worker went to New York and said that this was the best authentic pizza she ever had.
>>
>>7136280
is this bait or are there actually parts of the world where fast food isn't a ripoff?
>>
>>7137071
It used to be that way until the late 2000s at my mall minus the negros. Since I've moved but when I returned it felt empty and looked run down.
>>
>>7137097
not obama's fault
>>
>>7137104
the market gave people a chance to decide if they wanted to avoid going to the mall and people responded with a "hell yeah" more often than not so lots of malls died.
>>
File: YamatoWants.png (461 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
YamatoWants.png
461 KB, 620x349
>>7135434
Me too. There is better pizza but as far as bad pizza goes Sbarro is likable; prob the best bad pizza I've ever had. I'm not kidding either.

Now I just need somebody to go eat their pizza with...
>>
File: steakpotato.jpg (27 KB, 300x166) Image search: [Google]
steakpotato.jpg
27 KB, 300x166
>implying this isn't the GOAT mall court food
>>
Are people in this thread really so cheap they think 8-9 bucks for a couple slices and a drink is a ridiculous sum? Thats a pretty good price for lunch. Their prices weren't terrible, since they were in malls. Nobody is going to go home and buy a pizza for lunch and return to the mall.

The went under because malls are dead and outside of a mall the convenience of getting their pizza goes away so you can either get quality or a full pizza for a little more.
>>
>>7137188
Literally the worst cheesesteak I've ever had
>>
>>7137188

>restaurant actually advertises that potatoes are one of their specialties

That's pretty fucking sad, anon.
>>
>>7135255
The only time I have ever eaten there was on the interstate in Ohio because it was at the rest stop and I didn't want to pay a toll to go elsewhere. Fucking terrible.
>>
>>7137194
That's not the point. The point isn't about the cost as much as it is that for any price anything from sbarro is low quality, vile, disgusting shit.
>>
>>7135255
Pizza by the slice is never a good deal.
>>
>>7137049
You from Scranton?
>>
>>7135255
Cheap pizza, like Little Caesar's will sell solely on the advantage of being cheap. More expensive pizza will sell if it's noticeably better than cheap pizza.

Sbarro sold moderately expansive pizza that was not really any better than cheap pizza. After a while people got wise to this and stopped going there.

Also a big part of their franchise strategy was based around shopping mall food courts, and online shopping really reduced the foot traffic at most shopping malls.
>>
>>7135255
I am surprised they even stayed around THAT long.

One of the biggest triggers was spaghetti that was overcooked and not fully drained. This caused the cheapass marinara sauce on it to lose cohesion and disintegrate into watery shit. You were left eating red stained noodles.

You can literally buy Aldi brand spaghetti and sauce and make something that tastes a trillion times better. Well I mean as long as you drain the water off the fucking noodles.

I always wondered if they just left the noodles in a big pot of water and just ladled them out as needed.

What I mean to say is back in the day mall food was the shit but Sbarro was -literal shit- and everybody avoided it.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.