[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For example, why the fuck would a laywer quit his law job to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3
File: jar_jar.jpg (12 KB, 501x478) Image search: [Google]
jar_jar.jpg
12 KB, 501x478
For example, why the fuck would a laywer quit his law job to become a teacher? He is wasting all of his time and effort at law school. Also, being a teacher is shit with low pay, low social status, etc. These people are probably romanticising their jobs too much. Teaching has its own shitty aspects where you have to deal with kids who don't give a fuck about education and mark exams at home. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. These lawyers can also strive to teach at college level, so why not do that?

And what about engineers, actuaries, bankers, pharmacists, accountants, etc who switch to teaching? Switching makes no sense.

And I ain't some kid making stuff up as there are adults who share the similar perspectives as me. Just see
>>>/trv/1063967
>>
Probably because of something you did, OP
>>
Work mates husband switched from being a chartered accountant to being a teacher.
She mentioned something along the lines of "he hated going to work everyday and doing accounting, he wanted to be more useful and help people"
>>
>why do people do this? It doesn't make sense
>why do people do this
>why do people
>people
>why
>>
Forgot to take your trip off peg
>>
File: success kid.jpg (10 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
success kid.jpg
10 KB, 400x400
>>16620174
Yes I succeeded in turning this into a meme as others are posting this!
Star wars is shit though
>>
>>16620174
>>16620683
You failed in forgetting to copy the subject line and removing your name though.
>>
>>16620690
I didn't care that much I just copy and pasted
>>
>>16620698
Could you please do that more often? I get the sense that I will eventually be banned if I keep on doing this yet I want to ask this question many times. It will be great if someone can do it on my behalf so that this question will be here without me being banned.
>>
>>16620174
You made my original thread deleted coz you posted a duplicate thread :(
>>
>>16620174
>And what about engineers, actuaries, bankers, pharmacists, accountants, etc who switch to teaching? Switching makes no sense.
have you considered that some people might enjoy teaching?
>>
>>16620813
Why? People with these jobs contribute to society too.
>>
>>16620841
yeah, but in a different way.

And it does not even have to about the feeling of "contribution"

It may just be, that they found their previous job too stressful. That they want to have less hours in work, so they can spend more time with their familes/doing their hobbies.

Or they just feel like it.

Not everyone cares just about social status and money.
>>
>>16620861
How is being a banker stressful? You just deal with money and clients all day.
How is being a pharmacist stressful? You just prescribe drugs all day.
I mean, see
>>>/trv/1063967
>>
>>16620866
I don't know.
I'm neither a banker nor a pharmacist.

And I personally am quite happy in my job, but some people just are not, because of "reasons"...

The reasons vary from person to person, I just tried to give some examples that came to mind.
>>
>>16620906
What is your job?
>>
>>16620910
Hotel owner

I do whatever needs to be done, when the staff has their hands full except for cooking and all the management for the hotel.
>>
>>16620932
Oh I see.
Don't you think it is "unresonable" for someone with such a stable, well-paid job to give that up and switch to teaching? It seems to be a waste when they managed to find a job that is so competitive to get and there is no guarantee that they will be happier when they make the jump.
>>
>>16620944
No I don't

It their choosing.

Sometimes, you just loose interest in the stuff you were doing for so long. And teaching is a good way to get the desired change, without having to start completly over, learning everything from the scratch.

>there is no guarantee that they will be happier when they make the jump.
But the is a guarantee that they won't be happier if they stick with what is making them unhappy. That is pretty much the point.
I get the feeling that you just don't understand, why some people would go through with that uncertainty that comes with change.
But uncertain happiness is better then certain unhappiness, don't you agree?
>>
>>16620985
My parents persuaded me to pick Radiography (I am not from the states so I am doing it as an undergraduate), telling me that if I end up working at a government hospital it will be tough for the government to fire me from the job. Never truly liked it though as it seems pretty boring but my parents just said really most jobs suck and that is how things are. I would rather teach. Parents said it is a waste and stupid to give up such a stable, well-paid job that a lot of people want.
>>
This autist is seriously starting to get annoying.
>>
>>16620174
You have gotten out much have you?
>>
As long as you're fine with everyone in your life complaining about it + turning off a huge chunk of women who used to find you attractive, it's pretty rewarding.

Hurts sometimes though too. It's easy to ignore a neighbor who thinks you should be making bank, but when a sixteen year-old kid talks to you after class and asks, in earnest,

"why do you waste your time teaching little shits like us?"

You're not going to have an answer.
>>
>>16621133
Someone agrees with me
>>
>>16621133
>"why do you waste your time teaching little shits like us?"
Because not all of you are little shits, and those who aren't deserve a guidance so they can strife for whatever they want to do in life.
>>
I look at it from a simple perspective. If we liken people who create things, especially important things, as "successful" human beings, then if I am able to convert even two non-producers into producers then I have done more work for society than if I just went and produced myself.

If you are a well-liked teacher, it's quite easy to convince people (both adults and children alike) to do the right thing.
>>
>>16621002
bump
>>
>>16621002
Well tell your parents to get their own damn degree in radiography if they think it's so great.
>>
>>16620174
Make a Brandon thread while you're at it
>>
>>16621153

See, you're not a teacher.

All teachers know that the only kids who you need to reach -- from a material stand-point -- are the little shits.

Whether it's me or some old lady or a computer, the ones who aren't shits will get by regardless.

The ones who are shits, however, will not make it. And, as a teacher, you must make it so.

Sometimes the ones who aren't little shits are big shits in disguise. The ones who get straight A's, always smile and are always kind; but tell you they want to be a banker because it's how they will make the most money. Those are kids I really need to reach. Badly.
>>
>>16621169
>Sometimes the ones who aren't little shits are big shits in disguise. The ones who get straight A's, always smile and are always kind; but tell you they want to be a banker because it's how they will make the most money. Those are kids I really need to reach. Badly.
What?
>>
>>16620174

>Not adv reIated

Being a sociaIIy retarded faiIure who writes mediocre bIogs doesn't not vaiIdate your post!

Enjoy having the thread deIeted, anon!
>>
>>16621163
They said they would pick Radiography if they were me.
>>
>>16621192
This thread was created by Darth Pegasus not that guy
>>
>>16621197
So the fact that they're not you is their excuse, is it? No, "would if I were you" is not good enough. Tell them to get back to you after they physically get up off their wrinkled asses and sign up for radiology classes themselves.

Honest question: Do you live in one of those countries where you're obligated to take care of your parents when they get old, and the whole family hates you if you don't? Because I'm getting the sense here that your parents don't give a flying fuck about radiology any more than you do, and they just want their kid to have a nice career so you can take care of them when they get old.
>>
>>16621234
>Do you live in one of those countries where you're obligated to take care of your parents when they get old, and the whole family hates you if you don't?
Yes
My parents are teachers and they said they wont pick teaching if they were me
>>
>>16621180

I will give a specific and long-drawn example to explain my goals.

Remember your mother telling you about the kids in Africa who would love to have the food you're not eating? She wasn't joking and it's worse than she imagined.

In modern cell-phones, rechargeable batteries must use cobalt. Over half of the world's cobalt comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo -- from only 3 mines, owned by the military. Some parts of the mines are so small that only small people -- meaning 8 to 14 year olds -- are able to get in and work. Kids and Adults working the mines have short life expectancies and get paid nothing or close to it.

Of course, the only reason this abuse is happening is due to Apple + Samsung wanting to make more money. These corporations could pay for more expensive cobalt that was sourced more reasonably, but they don't. Money trumps all.

How do you solve this problem? Wikileaks shows that the American military is willing to help the DRC keep control of these mines. So two governments, two militaries, billions of dollars, what could I possibly do to even make a dent? To save a couple of lives?

Would it even matter? What about the textile industry? Should I not wear the Hollister sweater I got for Christmas because it was manufactured in Bangladesh by slaves?

Of course, acting that way is simply silly. I'm not giving up my iPhone, and I'm not going to tell my friend who works for Verizon that he's a shitty person for making his living selling phones that are produced on the backs of dead children.

I think the easiest way to fix the problem, in the long term, deals with convincing people to do the right thing. Don't make a decision that will cost people their existence just so you can make a $5 million bonus.

If I can, over the course of my lifetime, convince even five people to not only do the right thing, but to convince five more people, then the world will be ridden of assholes and cunts within ~1,000 years.
>>
>>16621247
And this is why you want to be a teacher?
>>
>>16621262

It's not the only reason. You were asking about why it was important to make sure the good kids don't become bankers.

If I was honest, I'd say the main reason I'm a teacher is that it's the first time in my life that the people I see everyday actually want to be around me. No other job ever offered that.
>>
>>16621240
Well they're not you, are they? My guess is they're probably looking at their prospects for retirement and wishing they'd made more money.

Look, I'm not going to tell you not to care for your parents in their old age. And they're probably looking out for you as much as for themselves. And that's fine. But if your folks are telling you "be a radiologist because work sucks no matter what, so you might as well make money" - that is maybe half true at best.

I can tell you from personal experience that being in a career that is wrong for you can cause you to burn out and be so miserable that it impacts your health, causing you to spend MORE money than if you'd taken a lower paying job you liked more. You may be able to keep your head down and be a decent radiologist, or you may hate it so bad that you have a heart attack or a nervous breakdown at 40. And how will you help your parents then?
>>
>>16621278
Well, do you regret being a teacher?
>>
>>16621284

Not at all. I've realized that I need to reach more than just ~120 people each year, so I'm not going to be in the classroom too much longer.

It's funny the ego teaching has given me.
>>
>>16621280
What if my parents threaten to not let me inherit their assests/property though?
>>
Is this a troll post? The Jar-jar picture has me skeptical. Whatever, I'll bite.

Why do people change careers and take a pay cut to teach? Because when we have money, and perhaps as we get older, our priorities change.

Money is a necessity for everyone, our capitalistic society tells us that money is the most important thing, and people are forced to decide on a career too early in our lives. So we choose careers based on our talents in school and what pays well. We think that the best careers will be those that utilize our talents the most and offer the highest return on our educational investment.

But we are wrong.

Job satisfaction doesn't come from earning the most money, or applying our talents the most. It comes from helping people. The best job is the job that utilizes our time and our particular talents to maximize the good we can do for others. But not just in an abstract sense, but in a way that connects us with others.

People who help their coworkers are happier at their jobs than people that don't, for example. Jobs that make people feel disconnected from others are unsatisfying. The terms "rat race" and "cog in a soulless machine" are metaphors for such jobs.

Law in particular, demands a huge amount of time, promises a significant amount of money, but provides very little connection to others. Most lawyer jobs are not at all like the kind of work that aspiring law students think they will find. Once they are out of law school, they will find very little work and very little pay in serving the public interest or defending the little guy. Their large student debt will force them to take jobs serving large corporations, shuffling papers around, and possibly doing things they find morally questionable. Not to mention, the 80+ hour weeks they are expected to so consistently spend in the office and on call and away from their family and friends so that the shareholders get their money's worth is time they will never, ever get back.
>>
>>16621307

We learn that money isn't worth wasting our lives at jobs we hate. Is helping your boss impress a client worth missing your son's graduation? Beyond a comfortable middle-class income of about $75k/yr, money stops making us happy and starts making us miserable.

Teaching, on the other hand, (usually) offers summers off, not much money but enough, but immense job satisfaction. Teachers get to have a huge impact on dozens, if not hundreds of students' lives each year, and witness firsthand their educational progress and growth as human beings. This is hugely motivating, knowing that you are entrusted with making such a difference in so many lives.

In the end, the only thing that you can never get back is your time, and the only thing that matters in this world is helping others.

Which do you want at your funeral, the most expensive cathedral, or most mourners?

Also, your idea of "social status" is something that nobody over 25 gives two shits about.
>>
>>16621307
There is this guy who likes to post this each week. His thread got deleted and another namefag (Darth Pegasus) copied and pasted his thread again (which is what you are looking at).
>>
>>16621321

God dammit. Well I hope someone appreciates what I wrote.
>>
>>16621324
I don't know if the guy who posts these threads are a troll himself or just extremely autistic.
What is wrong with a Jar Jar pic?
>>
File: 1387429134565.png (31 KB, 448x357) Image search: [Google]
1387429134565.png
31 KB, 448x357
>>16621321
Played them like a damn fiddle
>>
>>16620174
>Teaching has its own shitty aspects where you have to deal with kids who don't give a fuck about education and mark exams at home.
you do realize some people are immune to this stuff right?
>>
>>16621337
>some people are immune to this stuff right
How?
>>
>>16621350
they just don't give a fuck about the negative aspects of doing those things.

>child doesn't give a fuck
okay, do whats required out of you to motivate them and if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

>mark exams at home

>oh no, those 35 exams every too weeks.

also, part of the job. cpas have to work 80 hours during the tax season. surgeons have to work when theres a surgery. engineers have to take projects when they turn up. its part of the job
>>
>>16621391
What are your thoughts on something such as this then?:
http://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/1061300/
>>
>>16620174
it is what they like
>>
>>16621404
probably take the middle want. fuck the house. its a cheap attempt at control. why baby boomers think they're all powerful is beyond me. anyways, go overseas and get an accounting job then teach esl. i dont think people really understand what its like to have a job you actually LOVE. im 'sort of' in that boat and i dont plan on giving it up for a LONG time. i work security for a trucking company working 3 12 hour shifts a weekend. i basically sit in my truck and paint on my laptop, watch movies, and play steam games. do you know how fucking satisfying it is watching some hick trucker leave for their 10 hour drive while i get to chill and paint, play vidya? did i mention i get four days off? and interestingly enough my degree is in fucking accounting as well and im eligible to sit for the CPA exam in case i need to actually grow up
>>
>>16621469
>then teach esl
So if you were in that situation you would eventually quit accounting?
What about
>>>/trv/1063967
?
>>
>>16621507
im not nor ever was an accountant. this is actually the best job ive had to date so im riding with it for a while and i really dont want to quit despite know i have the option to get a much better paying job. for the other situation, id probably make bank for a good while and live frugally/save then eventually do what i wanted.
>>
>>16621566
So you do agree that both posters are being irrational and picky.
>>
>>16620174
This again?
>>
>>16621580
you mean the ops of both threads? not really. i took a more in the middle approach where the pharm guy should milk it for a good while and make the switch and the accountant should play it safe and focus on the decision at hand completely disregarding the house inheritance situation. in general i dont have anything against giving up a high paying job for one that pays much lower if you truly want it.
>>
>>16621666
>giving up a high paying job for one that pays much lower
Don't you think that is a waste?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.