[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career change?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: lake.jpg (165 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
lake.jpg
165 KB, 427x640
I'm a pharmacist in Australia. Managed to find a job despite the fact that the job market is saturated. What I love is teaching though. I took part in teaching voluntary programs during summer and I really enjoyed them, and I find teaching much more rewarding than my current job as a pharmacist.
Is a career change (i.e. becoming a high school teacher) worth it?

My parents taught for their careers, and they think that it is ridiculous how I am thinking of this career change.

Another question: I have citizenship in another country. I am interested in working there (stayed there in the past and love it). Is it better for me to get a teaching degree there so that I can do a bit of networking there? I want to teach there and see what life is like in a different country. It will be expensive though and means that I have to drop everything.
>>
>>1063918
Did you ask the exact same question on here recently?

Pharmacists make a lot more money than teachers do. Why not work as a pharmacist for a few more years, get some contacts in a local university and try teaching courses there? High school teachers have it pretty rough for the most part.
>>
>>1063967
Yes but I don't think you replied.
I really hate studying Pharmacy. I really don't want to go to grad school and study more courses related to Pharmacy.
Well I think I can earn enough to live comfortably as a teacher even though I earn less than a pharmacist, so the decrease in salary does not matter that much. I can also work in international schools and travel the world and these schools pay pretty well.
>>
>>1063918
What is the country you have citizenship in? Have you looked at the working conditions and salaries of teachers in that country?
>>
>>1064181
The states
Yes I have. I know that they have a shortage of high school STEM teachers there so finding a job there shouldn't be that tough.
>>
>>1064182

As long as you're fine with everyone in your life complaining about it + turning off a huge chunk of women who used to find you attractive, it's pretty rewarding.

Hurts sometimes though too. It's easy to ignore a neighbor who thinks you should be making bank, but when a sixteen year-old kid talks to you after class and asks, in earnest,

"why do you waste your time teaching little shits like us?"

You're not going to have an answer.
>>
>>1064182
How did you get an American citizenship? American parent or something?

Just be careful when choosing schools and make sure you teach at a 99%+ white school. Teaching coloreds is hell, there's a reason why the feds send young starry eyed teachers through uni for free, it's because no one wants to teach at inner city schools so they force them into contracts when they are still in uni to do it.

btw teachers get paid a pittance here see keep that in mind. Just stay in Australia and become a pharmacist, you will have a much better quality of life there than here.
>>
>>1064228
One of my parents is American.
It is less, but I've looked up the starting salary for high school teachers in the states and even that is enough for me to live comfortably. It's not like I spend a lot of money each month.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.