[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I be funny?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: 1446338036785.webm (227 KB, 400x330) Image search: [Google]
1446338036785.webm
227 KB, 400x330
Live in the UK and have a really boring personality. pls help anons
>>
watch/listen to comedy and comedians all the time.. theres gotta be a shitload of radioshows and podcasts out there. i bet after a few months of this influence you'll be a lot funnier
>>
>>16435239
any recs?
>>
>>16435240
Not him but if you haven't heard the Ricky Gervais xfm shows you should give those a go, they're are pretty good banter for beginners
>>
>>16435224
Don't try to be funny. Get people to talk about themselves. They won't remember who did all the talking - they'll just remember that they found it all fascinating, and you'll get the credit.
>>
>>16435388
yeah, don't try to copy ricky gervais - you'll just come across like a cunt to people you've never met and if you aren't funny enough you just seem mean - it works BECAUSE he's funny, like it's a pre-requisite
>>
>>16435553
This is good advice apart from the fact that Gervais isn't even remotely funny.
>>
>>16435224
Quote "old" movies that your generation hasn't seen and they'll thing you're a riot.
>>
Improv classes are good.
Listen to things you find funny constantly. Learn their styles down to the tempos at which they speak.
>>
>>16435533
This guy's smart as shit.

Brevity is the soul of wit, OP. That's all I got.
>>
Everyone's funny in their own way - I find when I get to know someone well, I find a load of their little quirks funny. Even the biggest of squares can be funny, just by being themselves, y'know? I've been described as naturally funny, I normally go into "funny guy mode" if things get awkward or I don't know someone well. My sense of humour is a bit self-deprecating, dry and teetering on the edge of "going too far", but this suits me. I guess my advice would be is to just carry on being you, there's something "funny" about everyone. If you want to be funny in small talk, avoid overused jokes, you need to find a way to thread humour into small talk; just saying jokes over and over gets awkward fast.
>>
>I'm from UK
>I dream of being amusing someday

That's like a skinny American. It happens, but it's a freak accident.
>>
Go to your local library and find one of those "For Dummies" books, there'll probably be one on comedy.

I've made a lot of friends by being funny and it occasionally helps with women. It's always been a natural talent for me but it's also a great coping mechanism and sometimes you'll find that the funniest people are quite prone to depression and all of that shit.

Always be aware of who you're talking to because the same jokes don't work with everyone. If you're being offensive or rude you absolutely have to make it obvious that it's a joke otherwise people will just think your a cunt and/or really autistic.

Try to find a comedian that you like the style of but continue to watch stand-up and maybe attend a few gigs yourself.

Never try too hard because it comes off as cringy like Ricky Gervais' Twitter or Russell Howard.
>>
>>16435574
>Being this pretentious

I don't really like Gervais. Extras was lame and anything he's done since that was even worse.

But he's clearly a talented comedian. He created the Office and a couple of his stand up tours were great. Animals and Politics I think were his best.

If you don't find it funny, chances are you lack the intelligence/sense of humour to 'get it'. Just saying senpai.
>>
>>16435748
That's exactly Gervais' source of pretentiousness.
He is obsessed with the idea that his humor is intelligent, and that people who like his brand of humor do so because they are intelligent.
It has absolutely nothing to do with that.
His humor really isn't particularly intelligent. It's just the people who subscribe to that idea.

It's really exemplified here, for instance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J0RQ4A3jvE
>>
>>16435770
Gervais is actually intelligent though you fag.
You don't become as successful as he has without being intelligent.
>>
>>16435770
I wouldnt say Gervais humour is the most intelligent but he does have a dry/vicious wit that I find appealing. He can destroy someone by being a cheeky cunt. Look up his Golden Globe hosting vids. He's good at calling people out on their shit.
>>
Gervais is funnier and more intelligent than any present American comedian.

He's deliberately immature and childish. He's more than capable of going on a tedious, moral high-ground rant ala George Carlin et al. He just chooses not to.
>>
>>16435823
Fuck Ricky yervagina. Dave Chappell is pretty cool
>>
>>16435784
That sounds like flawed thinking but I'll give it the benefit of doubt because I don't really pay attention to Gervais.
I guess I'll give him a more thorough shot so I can form a more articulated opinion.
But in that discussion he just sounds like a kek, and Extras was shit.
>>
Have an open mind about the world and don't limit yourself due to being sensitive
>>
>>16435845
wow I didn't think the censoring thing was real
>>
To become funny you deform your face, go around half naked and post pics on /b/
>>
>>16435224
Watch comedians, do everything you can to gain confidence (comedians are very confident unless they are fucking lame like josh Thomas, look him up to find out what not to do) and if you're going to make a statement to be funny I a group, make sure it isn't hurtful or too offensive
>>
>>16435240
Ark barker is my favourite stand up comedian, he has this long show on Netflix and j didn't stop laughing the whole way through which was like an hour
>>
People inherently have different humor orientations. Now much you can do about it, according to research.

http://comm.colorado.edu/~freyl/courses/quantitative-communication-research-methods/exercises-and-handouts/instruments/humor-orientation-scale.pdf
>>
>>16435224
>How do I be funny?
You can't force something like that.
>>
>>16436757
just read this op fuck everything else itt
>>
>>16437082
Work as a waiter, it's part of the job.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.