[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm making modular assets with tileable textures. the thing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: snap.jpg (161 KB, 1420x892) Image search: [Google]
snap.jpg
161 KB, 1420x892
i'm making modular assets with tileable textures. the thing is i make textures in substance painter and when i'm done they are not tiling properly. for example this asset. i highlighted the edges that i want to tile seamlesly. how do i make them tile properly?
>>
manually map the texture on the uv-map
use photoshop to make the texture seamless on the edges
this is basic stuff drop substance painter
>>
Yeah, a painting program, such as Substance or 3DCoat, wont do. You're looking at some careful manual work here.

Or you could hide the seam with some other geometry, such as a bump along the seam line of the same concrete material as in your existing picture, while making it look like it's supposed to be there anyway.

Or... but as a Max user I dont know how to do this in Blender... you could use two maps for the model, one is for your tiling bricks and one is for your more unique parts like edging and wooden bits. Then you assign them to different map-channels and then you can map them separately; detailed bits in a detailed manner, and the bulk bits using some bulk method, such as box mapping; and they wont be affecting or ruining each other in this way. You would apply this same box mapping to the whole building, then you'd lose all the seams on flatter areas but you'd gain some seams on the sharp edges (this is, to me, preferable). Buildings are angular and sitting nicely on a grid, it'll possibly look fine enough for you.

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/blended_box_mapping/sphere1.jpg
>>
just use two materials if you don't want to tweak your UVs.

Use one material for bricks and another one for other parts.

The brick part should cover whole area, use snap to grid to align corner vertices. That way it will tile. Check with proper checker texture before applying something else.

If you must use one texture for everything, then watch some substance videos on texture atlas creation.
>>
>>520440
You open the texture or image or whatever in photoshop, do a offset of n-number of pixels so the seam is now somewhere in the middle of the image, then you use standard image editing techniques to remove the seam. Once you're done you just reverse the offset with the same number of pixels to place the seam back at the edge.
>>
>>520440
Substance Designer is the right tool for modular assets with tileable textures.
If you use Painter without the power of the procedural substances you're doing it wrong.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.