[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you use to skin/weight your models? I'm having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
What do you use to skin/weight your models?

I'm having a problem in both Max and Maya with smoothing the weights. How do you smooth a weight properly between 4 or more bones?

In Max I use the 'Smooth Weights' paint tool, but it does not smooth evenly between all the influences, it seems to have a preference to giving the most influence to the currently selected bone so you have to ping-pong between multiple bones smoothing each time you select a new bone. Also, Max loves to suddenly balloon out the weights, going beyond 100% and breaking it completely. Wat.

Maya on the other hand doesn't go beyond 100% influence which is nice, but it still seems to favor the current selected bones and not giving a desirable result.

I'm considering using XSI as my main program to skin with because it seems to be the only one where the 'smooth' feature actually smooths evenly between ALL bones that the vert is being influenced by. Does anyone else seem to have this problem or is it just me?
>>
>>526092
use a softer weight brush, like 0.1 for weight paint. And weight everything to root and skin everything bellow to 100 influence and work your way out the chains.
>>
>>526092
May have to go in and manually dial in some of those verts breh
>>
>>526092
be methodical in your weighting, if you need to weight a set of vertices on 4 bones, weight it on the 2 that are most important at first, then the next, then the last
>>
>>526137
Sounds good.

>>526117
Is there a way to 'shift' the weights in Maya like in Max? IE in max when you open the weight tool there's a + button you can push to increase the weight of the selected vert to the selected bone by a percentage.
I can't seem to find a similiar feature to this in Maya apart from going into the Componant Editor and manually typing in a weight value but that seems a bit finnicky compared to Max. Am I missing an easier way to shift them on the per vert level and not using paint brushes?
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.