[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Somewhat of a noob, but how should I start modeling this handle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
I use Maya if that helps.
>>
>>523956
I'd use a box and sphereify it a couple of times, not sure what the function was called in maya though, then i'd start extruding to get the basic shape, then i'd make holes for the leathery parts, and make the grip from separate parts.
This looks to all be made from one part, which isn't very good.
>>
>>523956
literally the first thing I ever modelled, I did it by using a tube as a base for the middle and pushing verts around to get the general shape, and cutting a sphere in half and jointing each half to the ends of the tube to make the round things.
>>
File: sword.jpg (97 KB, 1271x694) Image search: [Google]
sword.jpg
97 KB, 1271x694
>>524306
>>523956
basically what I mean is this: the red parts you make by pushing verts around with something like the proportional editing tool, the blue is just a sphere cut in half with the verts joined to the tube. Obviously this is a shit model but it's just to illustrate what I mean. Oh and throw a subdivision surface modifier on to make it smoother, don't start off with this high of a polycount. I'm a blenderfag so can't help you with the specific commands, but if blender can do it then maya can too.
>>
>>524309
> the red parts you make by pushing verts around with something like the proportional editing tool

That is how not to create this part.
Start by extruding and tapering / relaxing the extrusion.
That example has far more loops than you should work with to create the basic shape.
>>
>>524316
that's because I applied a subsurf to it, the base model had maybe 2 or 3 in that area, and another 2 for the handle curve
>>
If you just want the basic shape of it without details, do what >>524316
says. just box model it, it's easy enough.

If it were me and I wanted all the details, I'd just use hard surface sculpting. Trying to box model that would be a pain.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.