[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to create my own HDRi image. Any software recomendations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7
File: HDRi-017-krpano.jpg (1 MB, 6000x3000) Image search: [Google]
HDRi-017-krpano.jpg
1 MB, 6000x3000
I need to create my own HDRi image. Any software recomendations?
>>
Describe more what you want to do and what you already have texture wise and what format you want to output (compressed?)
>>
>>510609
I have 6 photos (top, bottom, left, right, front back). I prefer to use .hdr output but .jpg would be fine
>>
>>510612
whatever you do, dont use amd cubemap gen. Its horrible
>>
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
>>
use yourself
http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/70092/tr-2004-92.pdf
>>
>>510612
>HDR
>jpg
>>
>>510608
ThetaS
>>
File: panorama_formats.jpg (64 KB, 900x300) Image search: [Google]
panorama_formats.jpg
64 KB, 900x300
>>510612
If you want to make a cylindrical image, your images are going to have to OVERLAP, so your horizontal images cannot just be taken at 90degree angles.
That's just for a PANORMA.
If you want an HDR panorama that emits light, The photos need to be bracketed. That means each shots has to be taken at a regular exposure, then under exposed, then over exposed.
In your case, that means 6 shots x3 = 18 shots
-But like I said, to stitch them, they must overlap. Even more shots needed.

>.jpg would be fine
No they won't
HDR images are used because they emit light and reflections..
making them a .jpg will get you reflections, but won't emit light.

For making a panorama, for starters,
Take photos with any camera/tablet and stitch them with hugin.
Try to make a full 360 panorama, which will do nothing more than make nice .jpg reflections.

If you can do that and want to take it to the next level, (HDR Light emitting panoramas) , You will NEED a tripod and probably a DSLR (some kinda camera that can take bracketed photos).
If you REALLY want to take it this far/to the next level, buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/The-HDRI-Handbook-2-0-Photographers/dp/1937538168

This stuff isn't easy, nor is it cheap.
>>
File: 1448209732962.gif (465 KB, 405x253) Image search: [Google]
1448209732962.gif
465 KB, 405x253
>>511052
>HDR images are used because they emit light and reflections..
>making them a .jpg will get you reflections, but won't emit light.
you what, mate?
>>
File: stacks-image-A394405.jpg (33 KB, 800x300) Image search: [Google]
stacks-image-A394405.jpg
33 KB, 800x300
>>511054
HDR = High dynamic range.
32bit floating point color images, where the RGB pixel colors range from 0-infinity, and the higher the number, the brighter the light emitted.
Other formats that emit light are 32bit TIFF, .EXR, maybe some others.

.jpg (and any other "web" format) are LDR = low dynamic range, meant for display on screen.
8bit images where each RGB pixel is restricted to 256 "levels", which iirc is the standard introduced sometime during the 80s which is still use today.
Basically, the RGB channels per pixel is 0-256.
Anyone familiar with photoshop should know this.
So to get Black, the colors/channels would be as follows:
Red channel = 0
Green Channel = 0
Blue Channel = 0

White:
Red channel = 256
Green Channel = 256
Blue Channel = 256

Pure Red:
Red = 256
Green = 0
Blue = 0

Now, to get colors in 32bit floating point HDR:
Black
Red channel = 0
Green Channel = 0
Blue Channel = 0

White
Red channel = 1
Green Channel = 1
Blue Channel = 1
BARELY EMITS LIGHT, IF ANY BECAUSE THE NUMBERS ARE SO LOW.
Therefore:
Brighter white:
R = 100
G = 100
B = 100
EVEN BRIGHTER WHITE:
R = 1000
G = 1000
B = 1000
THERE'S NO LIMIT. THE BRIGHTER THE RGB, THE MORE INTENSE THE LIGHT. EASY.

Pure Red in 32bit float HDR:
Red = 1
Green = 0
Blue = 0
Barely emits light if any.
Brighter red:
R = 100
G = 0
B = 0
EVEN BRIGHTER RED:
R = 1000
G = 0
B = 0
etc etc etc

continued pt 1/2
>>
>>511054
>>511057
But like I said, .jpgs won't do you any good for a panorama that LIGHTS your scene.
Lets say you shoot and create the hdr panorama.
It uses 32bit floating point color space and lights the meshes in your scene.
If, for whatever reason you think you can "just use a .jpg" literally the lighting is killed.
You're taking those numbers from 0-infinity, and restricting them to the 0-256 levels in jpg format.
-And don't be fooled.
Yes the LDR .jpg ranges from 0-256, but when converted to 32 float,
The white from a .jpg, RGB 256, 256, 256 is NOT equal to 32bit floating point 256, 256, 256.
The white from a .RGB 256,256,256 = 0.256 0.256 0.256, NOT EVEN 1,1,1

And this image
>>511057
Was lighted with an additional spot light or something, not strictly using a hdr panorama for lighting.
>>
File: lighting with hdr images.jpg (719 KB, 1062x2181) Image search: [Google]
lighting with hdr images.jpg
719 KB, 1062x2181
>>511054
>>511057
>>511058
Check this out:
http://www.hello-napalm.com/tuts/hdri.html

Keep in mind he's using a chrome ball, which is fine for personal work.
But if you're selling your panoramas, or do it the way the professional do, they take photos around them with the camera/tripod stationary, which results in much higher resolution.

The way he's doing it is the old fashioned way.
>>
>>511060
Just boost the reflection highlights buttboy. You don't need a 500GB HDR file to get such an easy task.
>>
>>511062
Then you'd have to guesstimate/eyeball the intensity of the reflection to match the environment, of which there won't be any image based lighting because you're using a .jpg
A .HDR takes care of the reflection and lighting intensity simultaneously and accurately for you.

>muh realism
>>
>>511062
HDR pics work way better for lighting than JPGs. They contain more information and are more modifiable.

It's especially visible with sunny HDRs. You just can't get sharp shadows with a jpg, whereas with an HDR you can get sharp shadows and even adjust the sunlight intensity by changing the gamma.
>>
>>511057
Do you know any program to edit images with 32bit floating point?
>>
>>511057
You're clearly not totally retarded, but it's also clear that you barely understand what you're talking about. HDRs don't emit light any more than jpegs and that's why the dude was making fun of you.
>>
>>511462
HDRShop.exe

Worked fine 15 years ago, still works fine today.
>>
>>511462
also photoshop
>>
File: Screenshot_20160210-192913.png (1 MB, 1200x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160210-192913.png
1 MB, 1200x1920
>>512367
Okay then, let me rephrase, .HDR files can be set up for image-based lighting (IBL), which is your scene/models beng lit by the image.

"Presentation middleware" like Marmoset toolbag and ketshot rely on HDR images (although the extension may be .exr, which is just a multi channel/fancier HDR image)

Jpgs, or any LDR image are not used for ibl because there's not enough data.
-As I said, their colors are locked from 0-256, while HDR files can range from 0-infinity, which is why their file size is so huge.

So OP,
If HDR IBL was easy, everyone would be doing it. But as you can see, it's not.
Check out this guide though:

www DOT marmoset DOT co/toolbag/learn/hdr-panos

And why do you NEED to create an HDR panorama? Is it for a class? Or do you simply want to? Like I said, the best guide is the hdr handbook 2.0
If the book is too much of an expensive barrier to entry for you, stay away from creating HDR panoramas cause gear gets expensive, but the book is very comprehensive.
>>
File: studi1-preview.jpg (174 KB, 590x1521) Image search: [Google]
studi1-preview.jpg
174 KB, 590x1521
>>512636
Another alternative is that HDR panoramas can be created in 3D programs, and are commonly do e this way for"studio lighting" panoramas.

I'm not familiar with this method though, but to can get some funky results because you're not limited by reality.
http://hdri-maps.deviantart.com/art/Autom-Panorama-19456635

http://kronpano.deviantart.com/art/Inside-the-death-star-428926985
>>
If I made panoramas myself, I just use PTGUI pro

And this software looks great too
https://www.lightmap.co.uk/hdrlightstudio/
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.