[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
last offer before they go expensive niggers.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: 56665.jpg (209 KB, 1190x563) Image search: [Google]
56665.jpg
209 KB, 1190x563
last offer before they go expensive niggers.
>>
>Buying software

You're joking, right?
>>
>>503380
Quixel vs Substance?
>>
>>503386
Quixel everyday senpai.
>>
I've been using both for a while, and I'd give the biscuit to Substance over Quixel any day.

Quixel has lots of really intuitive features, but the fact of the matter is it's buggy as sin. This isn't just my experience either, everybody in the studio that's used it has cursed it's name with the force of suns at least a few times this year. It's a great toolset if you want fast results, and if it doesn't crash. I also find that 3DO doesn't give you a decent preview of how things will actually look in game.

Substance is more difficult to use and could do with some more features, but ultimately more rewarding because it's virtually limitless in terms of what you can create. Quixel is still pretty limited by it's pre-set materials system, which you can modify and create ones of your own, but it's just not an intuitive process. I've found that it's materials are just the same sort of generic things you'll find in any game. If you want to push the boat out a bit and explore, Quixel probably isn't for you.

Both are good bits of software, but I'm glad I'm not the one who bought my Quixel license. It's current state is that it's far too buggy to consider in a real pipeline. I've lost a lot of hours of work over the year. It just feels messy.
>>
>>503392
did you really just copy a two year old post from reddit?
>>
>>503394

Link?
>>
>>503394
>>503392
>>503396
It's not from a reddit post, but it is from a forum post from fucking February...
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?58859-Substance-painter-designer-vs-Quixel&p=220725&viewfull=1#post220725

Quixel 2.0 literally just came out, and their PRIMARY goal was to iron out the buggy issues in the previous versions and make things much more streamlined. Just watch the new videos on their channel to see how easy it is to use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA7eyJqghXg
https://www.youtube.com/user/quixelteddy/videos
>>
>>503397

Holy fucking shit, it can't be this easy...there has to be a catch, and only $99 right now.
>>
>>503399
There's no catch dude. Procedurally aided texturing has made huge leaps these past few years. Gotta keep up with CG news!
>>
>>503380
>>503392
Fucking viral marketing, leave 4chan alone ffs

Not going to buy your shitty suite. I was, before I saw this
>>
>>503405
> Implying anyone on 4chan buys shit.
Thanks OP. Just another addition to my massive pirated software collection :^)
>>
>>503405
How fucking stupid are you? The person you quote simply ripped that message from a forum that was posted in Feb. And that post is advocating AGAINST Quixel, how the fuck is that "viral marketing" you twat?
>>
>>503407
Hey, I bought it, along with the Substance Live suite that was like 40% off this weekend. If you're actually serious about getting into the industry, you should own the software you're going to be using. If you're just a hobbyist, then yeah whatever.
>>
>>503413
>you should own the software if you want to work in a place that cant afford the softwares you can
:^)
>>
>>503380
Just the fact that you need photoshop to use it, is enough to make me decline. As a standlone, it might be a good competitor to substance though.
>>
>>503380
>Software buggy as hell
>Pirate it till bugless
>Profit
>>
>>503419
What studio wouldn't be able to afford such cheap software? Are you living in Africa?

>>503420
But that's one of the benefits of it... You get access to all the amazing capabilities Photoshop gives you for texturing already and are able to apply them to 3D painting (in a much better way than Adobe's botched attempt). Photoshop is only $10 a month now too.
>>
>>503423
I don't like the idea of needing one software to run the other. If i would get photoshop cc and stop paying monthly i would at the same time not be able to use quixel anymore. Also there is the possibility that in the future i might need to buy a new photoshop version to keep the future quixel updates running too. But well, to each his own.
>>
>>503433
Quixel supports all the way back to Photoshop CS3... So you could simply buy a permanent license to CS3/4/5/6, whichever you can find for cheaper.

Photoshop is an essential software to have if you want to be in this industry. It's on absolutely every job posting.
>>
Quixel all the way, pretty much the best thing that came out for texture artists!
>>
>>503445
Maybe if it where usable like they advertised.
But it isn't. The UI is buggy. It is still slow and it takes twice the amount of RAM as the same model in Painter.
>>
>>503447
get more ram scrub
>>
>>503391
Why?
>>
can you even paint on the surface of your models with quixel?
>>
>>503447

They released an update already.
>>
>>503487
Did you not watch any of the videos from the release?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ugVuyCXjss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1boM1MRPXxs
>>
File: 67556.jpg (16 KB, 306x241) Image search: [Google]
67556.jpg
16 KB, 306x241
Everyone, place your bets.

How long until Autodesk buys them?

I say 6 months.
>>
>>503512
cuicxel and kekstance is essentially worthless. autodesk would never buy those.
>>
do the texture maps translate well to offline renderers or you still have to manually calibrate?
>>
>>503512
How exactly is Autodesk going to buy software that relies on an Adobe product to work?
>>
>>503449
I have enough for now. But the fact still stands that the software waste RAM.
>>503490
Good for them if they fix shit fast.
>>503514
Your opinion is worthless.
>>
>>503517
It's not. Autodesk should just revive Mudbox and make it what it should have always been:
zbrush + mari + substance/quixel
>>
dDo lags like a motherfucker for me with 2k textures.

>tfw no money for SSD
>>
>>503392

3d itself is buggy, I've crashed Modo, Maya many many times.

Learn as many things as possible, 3d arsenal for work
>>
>>503525
>It's not.
No shit Sherlock, that's the point I was making.

>Autodesk should just revive Mudbox
They are, but it's being integrated into Maya instead of a standalone software.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3biu7r_future-of-modeling-in-maya-andrew-camenisch-autodesk-vision-series_creation
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.