[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats a good start to start designing mech and scifi art? are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8
File: STK518824.jpg (80 KB, 1200x828) Image search: [Google]
STK518824.jpg
80 KB, 1200x828
whats a good start to start designing mech and scifi art?
are 3D programs better or is photoshop/illustrator or something better?
>>
Learn to draw proper perspective. Then whatever the fuck you want, pencil and paper will do.
>>
File: LifeisSweet199000_zps793596cf.jpg (99 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
LifeisSweet199000_zps793596cf.jpg
99 KB, 640x360
>>493692

warhamer star wars star treck russian& soviet scifi clasics.
>>
>>493624
lurk more faggot
>>
>>493692
That's easy. You draw a bunch of ink outs.
>Those are black profiles of the mech, theses all need to be different say like one may be a floating bunch of objects that look like a mech while the next may look more like a dreadnought from 40K

After this stage you take the one you like and begin drawing line work for it.

Once your line work is done refine it.

After you've done that you can colour and give it some shadows, grey scale is the quickest to do.

Model it, You've got a concept now.
>>
>>493692
Masamune Shirow is a God when it comes to mecha art.
He makes westerns look like those 50´s retards with rockets and outdated designs.
He also do them both 3D and 2D, so if you wanna make them under the right influence look no further.
>>
>>493803
looks pretty fucking lame and disfunctional
>>
>>493803
looks like he forwent the actual mech design in favour of hyper sexualised animu gril
>>
File: 20090623.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2719) Image search: [Google]
20090623.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2719
>>493812
>>493834
>but muh murrican authors
the butthurt is intense
>>
>>493845
nigger what are you talking about? What do american authors have to do with that i said? >>493834
At what point did I even remotely hint at anything related to american authors?
Get back to /b/ you autistic faggot.
>>
File: 1324329848690.jpg (175 KB, 1024x923) Image search: [Google]
1324329848690.jpg
175 KB, 1024x923
>>493845
I have to give you that since Mech idea came fomr japan. But the modern mechs got popular by the western media look nothing like those autistic shitty designs. And those are the mechs we're talking about.
>>
HAWKEN. Dem mechanical beasts.
>>
>>493847
You are a Mong-Lord. The original form of the idea is the Martian Tripod, from War of the Worlds.

But yes, the modern sense of the idea is pretty Japanese, although some credit is owed to "The Iron Giant". (No, not the movie, although the movie is good. I mean the book. Which has a Space Dragon. Yes, really. You can find it in the children's section of your local library.)

The terms you use to discuss mecha also argue for entirely disregarding the textual incontinence so far displayed.

I know this because I myself regularly frequent /m/ and know with surety your shit scribble tier discourse would be roundly ignored or mocked there.
>>
File: MechWarrior_2_cover[1].jpg (64 KB, 400x467) Image search: [Google]
MechWarrior_2_cover[1].jpg
64 KB, 400x467
>>493865
> You are a Mong-Lord.
I amn't
> The original form of the idea is the Martian Tripod, from War of the Worlds.
we're talking about mechs you idiot, not tripods.
> iron giant
they were the times in western media where Big ass metal robots begin to be popular, but they didn't go full mecha. Which is a shame because we don' have enough mech fanbase.
> I know this because I myself regularly frequent /m/ and know with surety your shit scribble tier discourse would be roundly ignored or mocked there.
Well nobody cares since popular movies about mechs aren't japanese mechs, but american mechs
>>
File: 2015-09-23_21-20-08.jpg (347 KB, 1430x980) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-23_21-20-08.jpg
347 KB, 1430x980
>>493692
John Park has a great article in VertexHD specifically for mech design. The mag is free, get it: http://artbypapercut.com/

Design in whatever medium is the most efficient way of going directly from design to visuals. Paper, blockout in 3d if you're good enough at it, photoshop/sai/clip if you can draw digitally, whatever.
>>
>>495132
Also, don't listen to the guys that are like "western mechs are boring!" or "japanese mechs don't even look like mechs!" It's all about the universe you imply through the design, and what you want to do with it.

Specifically, it's about what you decide are important kinds of details, shapes, and materials to get the message of the technology and history across. Or, if you just want it to look cool then it's absolutely more important to get the shapes right and have the minimum amount of mechanical detail to indicate how it functions and still read as a mechanical object.

You're shooting yourself in the foot as a designer if you think a certain design language is flat out wrong. Explore it, pick it apart, integrate certain elements, discard other elements, remix. Don't fret over where it comes from. (But don't plagiarize) Ask yourself why a certain shape or detail evokes a certain feeling or function.

If the design sells and evokes what you want out of the audience, it's a successful design. There is no right or wrong aesthetic, as some autists are obsessed with arguing about.
>>
>>493867
>we're talking about mechs you idiot, not tripods
>we're talking about mechs you idiot, not tripod mechs

what
>>
File: mtan.png (105 KB, 1312x1076) Image search: [Google]
mtan.png
105 KB, 1312x1076
>>493865
>I myself regularly frequent /m/

Represent
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.