[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How safe really are the Appalachians? I've heard tons of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: 1454006446832.gif (1 MB, 250x360) Image search: [Google]
1454006446832.gif
1 MB, 250x360
How safe really are the Appalachians? I've heard tons of monster stories around my area but people seem to think that aside, when bombs or whatever fall the Apps will be a good place to be.

Would they really be?
>>
File: mtns.jpg (130 KB, 721x648) Image search: [Google]
mtns.jpg
130 KB, 721x648
I live near the coast of NC and as a contingency plan in case of massive flooding/rising sea levels, I'd book it towards Appalachians. I'd only try to camp out for up to a week or so before getting the fuck out though and head North. It will attract a LARGE amount of people regardless.

I'd be paranoid as fuck about hunters/bandits hiding out in the mountains, picking people off from a long distance without even attempting to reach out (shoot first, ask questions later). I have contacts around Boone, NC so I go out to the mountains every now and then and go hiking around the usual sites.

Of course, the populous around there seems to be generally kind; however, in the event of a world-wide crisis, you can't expect everyone to be rational and civilized, especially if they lived in the boonies.

So yeah, in summary:
If you wish to head to the Appalachian mountains when shit hits the fan and stay there, I'd recommend you try to stay hidden. There's a vast amount of land to keep you secluded and safe.
>>
There are rumors of a secret underground facility run by the government somewhere there and they have experimental aircraft and supposedly a controlled environment they birth children in and try to guide behavior/evolution (24/7 darkness, raise them in water, etc)
>>
>>17661331
>I'd be paranoid as fuck about hunters/bandits hiding out in the mountains, picking people off from a long distance without even attempting to reach out
Shit, that's a good point, are those kinds of things really commonplace enough to be something to look out for? I've heard at least one story secondhand about a guy I know stumbling across a pot field while hiking in the mountains on accident. He got the fuck out after he spotted a deer tower in the distance

I guess it'd be good to learn how to live in the forests too. Only thing that scares me are the fucking monsters though. Every county here is ripe with stories
>>17661399
Holy fuck, what, really? Sources?
>raise them in water
What? What's that do?
>>
Theres alot of odd goings on in my part of the Appalachian mountains. I believe there are cryptids here at the very least if not something paranormal.
>>
>>17661474
I want to hear first hand spoop stories. Surprisingly there's very little spooky story material on the Apps when I google it, but I always see greentexts and references to how spooky it apparently is.

Anyone care to contribute?

>I believe there are cryptids >here
Are you from the AMs? Do you have any stories?
>>
>>17661512
Indeed I am, born and raised. I will tell some stories when I finish dinner.
>>
>>17661535
>Indeed I am, born and raised
Awesome, same
>I will tell some stories
Cool, thank you friend

What part are you in? State?
>>
>>17661215

"never knows best"
>>
>>17661215
Bumping for something to read later
>>
>>17661553
SWVA is where I'm from. Blue Ridge surrounds me. One of the cities near me across the state line into TN has a legend of black dogs. I think it was a Cherokee legend that stuck around from the old days. Its basically a hell hound that stalks those who walk alone after dark along the banks and trails near the Holston River. Similarly there is a skinwalker of sorts in the same area. There are caves hidden in the hills both man made and natural. I've heard from some older friends that live there they've heard strange sounds, familar voices calling to them in the night for help and a sickly smell in the air.

Over in the hills above my house a friend of mine was hiking and camping out with family and saw what he swears was a chupacabra. He said it was about 2.5-3ft tall walking on its back two legs low to the ground and had quills coming out of its back. He says it had greenish tinted skin and looked to have a large amount of needle like teeth with bloodshot looking eyes.
>>
>>17661429
Trying to find the story about it. Read it on Abovetopsecret awhile back and the controlled conditions were made to birth and raise boys to become super soldiers tuned for certain environments
>>
>>17661779
>SWVA, Blue Ridge
Holy shit we're pretty close anon.

Around here there've been sightings of some bright red king of bigfoot thing. It's super spooky when your backyard is a mountains worth of fortest.

>skinwalkers, hell hounds and chupacabras
Shit man, that's some spooky stuff.

Do you or anyone you know have experience with that spooky 'super silence' phenomenon in lots of stories? Where forests and everything go dead quiet, no foliage or animal/insect sounds, ect. Appalachia would be a horrifying place to experience that and that makes it all the more likely imo... Haven't had any spooky encounters myself yet though.

What about people though? Are there really homicidal dope growers in our mountains anon?
>>
>>17661779
>caves
jesus thats fucking spooky. ive always wondered about what could be out here... think about it. deprived crazy rednecks, inbreds, serial killers, and miles of forest.

you think theres anything lurking in them caves?...
>>
>>17661215
>How safe really are the Appalachians?
Very safe as long as you know the locals.

The weather is temperate and they have all four seasons, clean unpolluted water, lots of animals and places to farm, no crime, peaceful, chill people, very cheap to live, a great place to settle and raise kids, and nature's unspoiled beauty everywhere.

Plus, in case of war, there are no military targets, it has very favorable fallout patterns, lots of caves and shelters, everyone is armed, and it would be impossible for an invading force to ever win against the locals.

But if you don't know a local family, you're SOL bro.
>>
>>17661399
>There are rumors of a secret underground facility run by the government somewhere there and they have experimental aircraft and supposedly a controlled environment they birth children in and try to guide behavior/evolution (24/7 darkness, raise them in water, etc)
That would be The Greenbriar, an hour away from Roanoke in West Virginia.
>>
>>17661429
>I guess it'd be good to learn how to live in the forests too. Only thing that scares me are the fucking monsters though. Every county here is ripe with stories
Only monster I ever saw was a black bear, and they run from people.

They tell outsiders those stories to keep them away.
>>
>>17661429
LOL the source of that story is Brave New World. It's a direct ripoff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World (first point under "the world state)
Someone apparently thought it'd be lulzy to play it straight.

>raise them in water
That was so they could work underwater better and would feel at home there. Each weird set of conditions was to prep the kids for specific jobs as adults. Also, intelligence was strictly controlled, with most of society physically dumbed-down so that they'd be happy with their peasant jobs. It goes on. It's a good book - pick up a copy for a cold and rainy day.
>>
>>17661512
>I want to hear first hand spoop stories. Surprisingly there's very little spooky story material on the Apps when I google it, but I always see greentexts and references to how spooky it apparently is.
>Anyone care to contribute?

There was a paper mill that used to hold Dioxin in a pond up on the mountain. Dioxin is mutagenic. One day a hunter shot something white and hairless, he thought it was an alien. The government was called in, everyone was hush hushed, test were done and all that. It turned out to be a mutant albino deer whose parents had been drinking from the Dioxin pond. That shit has been outlawed for decades now.
>>
>>17661835
>What about people though? Are there really homicidal dope growers in our mountains anon?
Nope. There used to be shine runners during Prohibition, but not now. Pot's grown in West Virginia because medical weed is legal there.
>>
>>17661851
>clean unpolluted water
uhhh, really? how
>a great place to settle and raise kids
all the young people raised in there i know hate it and pray for death because the lack of anything at all for miles
>>
>>17661845
>jesus thats fucking spooky. ive always wondered about what could be out here... think about it. deprived crazy rednecks, inbreds, serial killers, and miles of forest.
>you think theres anything lurking in them caves?...
Nothin' like that out there, mostly just good country people.

I've explored many miles of caves in the Appalachian and the only scary thing I found was bear skeleton once where a bear died while it was hibernating.
>>
>>17661851
Sorry but there is no clean water in the states, or at least the apps, there is some in the midwest.

Just need to be honest here.
>>
>>17661895
The Appalachians don't sound that spooky.
>>
>>17661890
>>>17661851 (You)
>>clean unpolluted water
>uhhh, really? how
Rivers flow downhill. No industry to pollute it. The Appalachian has the only clean rivers in my state. Once the rivers leave the mountains and flow toward the oceans, they end up polluted by the first city they go through.

>>a great place to settle and raise kids
>all the young people raised in there i know hate it and pray for death because the lack of anything at all for miles
Nah, it's really beautiful. You have Internet, privacy, beauty, natural places to swim, fish, hike, cook out, enjoy nature. It's awesome. Small towns are everywhere, and big cities are never more than 30 minutes away from any small town, by interstate. You got privacy, security, peace, and nature. And you're like half-hour away from anything you want by way of city life. I mean, it takes 30 minutes to go 15 miles within any major city in the country... through traffic, crime areas, smog.. eh, you can keep it.
>>
>>17661897
>>>17661851 (You)
>Sorry but there is no clean water in the states, or at least the apps, there is some in the midwest.
>Just need to be honest here.
All spring wells and spring fed rivers are clean. Also the Cowpasture and Bullpasture rivers are the only unpolluted rivers in the state of Virginia and West Virginia.
>>
>>17661902
>>>17661895 (You)
>The Appalachians don't sound that spooky.
They're not. They're really pretty actually. People tell stories to scare away city people, though. They got a good thing, and they like it the way it is.
>>
>>17661835
Well as far as the crazy dope growers go unless you're wandering up on some Peace Makers grow I wouldn't worry much about it.

I get that super silence around my house sometimes at night...its fucking creepy. I've had a few experiences here at home with apparitions and ouija boards but I think there is something in my woods as well. Many times I've been out there smoking and head something like wheezing. sounds like a person but at the same time not like a person. Never heard anything but it and wood cracking where whatever it is moving around. Its happened when its just me or when I've had 10 guys up outside drinking with music blaring. Me and a couple of friends were playing with a ouija board here once and had a bunch of crazy sounds going on outside. Once they died down we went out to smoke and saw something that had to be at least 8ft tall to be visible over the roof of my barn just staring at us....we ran inside and the noises started back up and we stayed up till daylight lol. I'm around the Gate City area what about you?
>>
>>17661974
near Bigstone
>8 ft tall thing
Yeah I've heard someone tell me they saw something bright red, hairy and about 8ft tall once in the woods, along with other things...
The silence thing fucking creeps me out. And makes me wonder. Wtf and how the fuck could something silence a forest?
>>
>>17661215
God, the mountains are beautiful. Lived in one of the large valleys of Maryland for my whole life except for the past 9 months in Pittsburgh for school. I wouldn't trust the mountain folk in the backcountry though, the last thing I want is to be caught at night on their property or something. Monongahela and the Great Smoky mountains are the wildest places I've seen, and I'd rather be dead than be caught in the wilderness out there at night. Some nights you can here some really god awful things in the forest, like you've never heard before. Howling, screaming. Mountain Lions, possibly. Owls, birds? Who knows.
>>
>>17662060
Nice. A friend of mine lives on Tacoma mountain around Norton. He said he's heard something huge moving thru the woods. Said it reminded him of what gorillas running through the jungle sounds like. He watches too many NatGeo shows lol. I'll check this thread later maybe more people will have something to share.
>>
File: image.jpg (302 KB, 744x743) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
302 KB, 744x743
I had some pretty weird shit happen to me when I was living in southern Virginia, close to the North Carolina border. my brother has a house up there that was built on an old plantation, still has the old stone tobacco shed foundation. shit got so creepy for me and I got so hounded I wouldn't sleep alone anymore. pic related it's the thing that creeps me out on his property.
>>
I've been living in the Appalachians of North Carolina for 3 years now. Only had one paranormal experience as of now. A group of friends and I went out to the abandoned wizard of oz theme park at night because why not? Well at the end of the night my gf and I split off and once we were alone we heard footsteps coming from the bushes. Checked it out and nothing was there.

Other than that, it's a great place to live.
>>
>>17661399
there are 3 of those. one is out by Clyde NC, one is up in WV, and the other is outside of Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania.
>>
>>17662109
what am i looking at? also elaborate on your story
>>
>>17662152
As a person outside of Harrisburg, PA, I've heard the old state hospital complex connects to this.
>>
>>17662180
the story i heard is that there are complexes and bunkers under the Pocanos. including the genetics labs, and weapons complexes.
>>
File: image.jpg (256 KB, 750x741) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256 KB, 750x741
>>17662169
as far as I know those are like the base or foundation for old tobacco sheds where they would dry the leaves.

As to creepy things that happened to me. Nothing really happened until I was alone and my brother and bf had left for a while, his house is in a small town and were on the outskirts so it wasn't unusual for his errands to take long. a couple hours of being alone, I heard the garage door open, my dogs heard it and get excited, ears perk tails wag, start for the hallway to the garage. After about five minutes the door inside doesn't open, so I go to check the garage and the car isn't back. So I kinda just think maybe it was the wind rattling the doors and go back to watching tv, hanging out with my dogs and cats on the couch. Everything is pretty calm for a while, notice it's kinda windy outside, tgink of cool maybe it'll be a nice rainy night. Wow, it must be really windy because the branches of trees are scraping like crazy against the side of the house and windows. Maybe it's going to snow again, I think. then i realize that there are no trees near the house with branches that could reach the house, even if the wind were to blow them like a hurricane. even if a tree for uprooted it wouldn't land on the house. At least point I start to get creeped out again and even worse. My dogs start circling and acting just off. At this point I paused the tv and went to get my phone so it's quiet and there's no noise that could explain what happened next. To the right of the front door is a small library with a partners desk and floor to ceiling bookshelves filled with books, vases and general nicknacks. The sound of branches scraping intensifies and again the garage starts shaking like its opening, and I have no better way to explain this other than it sounded like a giant was picked up that small library by the front door and was shaking it like a child would shake a dollhouse to try and get a stuck toy out.
>>
>>17662363
i heard books being btfo of the shelves along with glass shattering and shit hitting the wall. what really sent me over the edge was the fact that my dogs trained themselves to the direction of the library, the hair on the naps of the necks is fucking defying gravity and attempting to go into orbit, they're fucking barking like there's an intruder in the house. so im freaked the fucked out, so I grab my rifle and a handgun and quietly and carefully approach the library and not one fucking thing is moved. not one thing. my dogs are still losing their mind like they have fucking rabies and im losing it becaus if it was just imagination my dogs wouldn't be flipping their shit. I call my brother crying asking him where the fuck he is and huddle on the couch with a dog on each side just waiting with guns ready (i know, guns won't do shit against paranormal, but it's giving me comfort) until they hurry home, we search the property and there's nothing. in hindsight it may be that scary, but it was terrifying to me. ever since then I never felt alone and constantly heard shit. footsteps, heavy and loud, doors opening and shutting, always the scraping branches whenever I was alone, even saw door handles violently like trying to open themselves. sorry for the wall of text and whatever typos I made, I'm on my phone and I know I'm leaving some stuff out, but trying to give a general outline.
>>
>>17661862
>They tell outsiders those stories to keep them away.
They tell their children to keep them alive you mean.
>>
This whole thread is locals telling bullshit stories so that they are left alone and not bothered with city people.
>>
>>17662060
I used to live on my family's land in the Arkansas foothills. Same thing happened out there. There'd be all the normal night sounds (frogs, night birds, crickets, etc.) one minute, then boom. Dead silence. I mean not even a breeze blowing through the pines. Sometimes with a sort of "chuff chuff chuff" sound, like something blowing through its teeth or nose. Creepiest damn thing I've ever heard.
>>
>>17662475
I can't find like, anything on Google about whatever this phenomenon is. Only this single story: http://www.brumac.8k.com/JANs_Phenomenon/JANs_Phenomenon.htm
>>
>>17662531
We'd been on that land since 1810-ish. A lot of forgotten slave/farm structure foundations, large family cemetery, forgotten wells, and the like. My great grandfather used to tell me it was dead kinfolk getting restless, and wouldn't let me go outside on nights when it happened.
>>
>>17662574
Very interesting anon... Any more stories?

The whole silence thing is really interesting too. I wish there was a term for it so it was more easily researchable.
>>
>>17661215
Really good friend of mine grew up there and my family owns a ton of land in the hills in east TN and west NC.

Safe in what way? I spent a couple summers there wandering the woods and mountains with my cousin and my sister. We'd all end up lost but nothing physically dangerous ever really happened. You'd see a rusted out truck some hillbilly ditched or a rotted out still from Prohibition but that's about it. We found an abandoned cabin once but nothing particularly scary about it.

I think it would be a good place after the bombs. Nature still has a tight grip and it's not cold like Oregon or Washington (water is shittier though) nor is it next to a desert like the Rockies. You could hide, grow food, and in the southern half not freeze to death plus access to tons of water sources.
>>
>>17662599
No stories as such. One of my multiple great uncles drowned in the branch near our house under suspicious circumstances (he was the odd man out in a love triangle. He, his best friend, and the girl in question went out in a boat; only two came back). You can still see him out by the water some nights, sometimes walking, sometimes drowning.

There used to be a phantom cotton gin at the bottom of the overflow (steep drop off where the hills become the Mississippi river delta). When ginning season (harvest season, autumn) started, at night you could sometimes hear the old steam engines moving the stands, big press doors booming open and shut, steam whistle blowing lunch or dinner. Not often, but sometimes.

I'm pretty sure I met my great great grandfather once while walking home after a hunt. He'd been whipped and later hanged by the Klan for cheating on and neglecting his wife a long time ago. He was young and haggard looking, and bid me to tell Opal (his wife's name) that he loved her and was sorry, and to tell (my great grandfather and uncle's names) that he was so, so proud of them. I remember feeling so sad in his presence that I cried all the way home, and most of the night.

There were a few other things, but nothing really big or /x/ worthy.
>>
i visited the appalachians once in NC. went to the mile-high bride, the biltmore estate, did some hiking, etc... but the single most memorable event of the trip was getting lost in the mountains at night in the thickest fog i've ever seen. we were driving blind on these tiny ass roads with no railings with sheer drops at least 60 feet down on either side. we were just crawling along, too scared to go any more than 10-15 mph, until we finally came across a gas station and got directions from this hillbilly fuck who was working behind the counter. when we finally rolled into town and that fog was split by streetlights and a big glowing outback steakhouse, i've never been more relieved in my entire life.

nothing paranormal, but it was definitely nerve-racking.
>>
>>17662805
>outback
>not the sizzler

You lie, anon. You lie and speak poison with two tongues
>>
>>17661215
Any of you guys hear about flcl getting a sequel?
>>
>>17661215
Well yeah, monsters aren't real so there's no threat from them.
>>
>How safe really are the Appalachians
>go inna holler
>some white fucker claiming to be part of an indian tribe of white men gon' native, strung out on meth and sink cleaner thinks you're after his ginseng
>spend the next few hours dodging gun fire, feces, and coon cats launched by his ol' lady.
>>
>>17662152
As a NEPA resident can you tell me more about the Wilkes-Barre one?
>>
>>17661845
>you think theres anything lurking in them caves?
I've heard about a certain Martense family...
>>
>>17661215
Pineville, WV here. It's a small town way up in the mountains. There's a lot of forest and a lot of pillheads up here, too. When it snows here, it snows heavy and deep. I've seen footprint tracks that end suddenly a couple of times in my life and I have heard a few strange sounds that don't sound like any animal I've ever heard. I've never seen anything other than that but I do think there's some stuff up here that knows how to hide from folks and it's not something anyone's really told about if they have seen it. There's lots of undiscovered land that folks just don't go to. It might be a reason for that, too.
>>
>>17661215
Your biggest fear with the appalachians should be stumbling onto a marijuana or moonshine plot in the forest and being shot by the owners. They would much rather shoot first than bother with determining if you are with the law or would snitch.
>>
>>17662426
>This whole thread is locals telling bullshit stories so that they are left alone and not bothered with city people.
Bingo.
>>
>>17663965
You might want to recheck the database. Everything between you and just north of here is where all the disappearances happen. At least the oldest one finally died of old age back in 2008 but it didn't really do much in the grand scheme.
>>
>>17661895
This post paid for by the society for the advancement of skinwalkers
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.