[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Psuedo Beliefs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1279165661008.jpg (37 KB, 600x426) Image search: [Google]
1279165661008.jpg
37 KB, 600x426
Do you have things that you only kind of sort of believe?

Like you wouldn't stand by them like you would a conviction, and you wouldn't trust them like you would facts, but nonetheless they still are present in your mind and you still make minor concessions to them even though you know they are irrational and sometimes even contradictory?

I think everybody does this a little bit, we say god bless you when you sneeze and observe customs like not walking over peoples graves and have all sorts of weedling little superstitions that alone may not add up to much but together sort of weave a tapestry of made up beliefs?

I kind of like having them, they are like adding made up detail to life for flavor. And who knows, there always seems to be something or another that remains undiscovered, chances are you are right about something, even if your not clear on why or how.
>>
I always feel kind of depressed when certain revelations are taken as absolute fact while others are dismissed out of hand.

I mean, who could have possibly conceived of radio waves prior to their discovery? I always wanted to be someone who made a breakthrough and discovered something completely unknown and brought it into the light of day, but modern skeptics are always telling us that can't happen, or that it will never happen again.
>>
I believe there is a soul, nothing physical, nothing that can think, nothing that can even remember. I think the soul who watches through my eyes and thinks my thoughts is me. When I die I don't know if it remembers me, if it sees anything else or if it just disapears. This is more because I can't find another reason for me to see trough my eyes instead of someone elses.
>>
>>17494765
That's me and the Tarot through and through.

I contend that most people have two (or more) conflicting levels of belief in their minds, intellectual and emotional belief. Obsessive compulsive behavior is very much like this. A person touches something they emotionally believe to be unclean, so they must wash themselves. Intellectually they know there's no threat, they know, in fact, that their compulsion is an irrational behavior, but emotionally they can't accept it.

Rationally I know how most card readers, "work," a client, indeed how most clients, "work," themselves. I know all the notions about Jungian symbolic associations, the mind's propensity to build narrative around current issues, etc.

But I've also mired myself in the mythology, and seen just enough extreme coincidence involving the Tarot, that I still emotionally buy into it, at some level.
>>
Everything that I have thought of, am thinking of and will be thinking of will be thought of, be thinking of or will be thought of by other people.
>>
>>17494765
In school I had some sort of "homework god" watching over me. I remember any time I forgot or procrastinated too much on homework or a project that something would happen to give me extra time or let me know what it was. Stuff like a substitute coming in the day something was due so I wouldn't have to turn it in, or the teacher forgetting to collect it that day, etc.
>>
Calm down.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.