[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sure a lot of you are aware of sleep paralysis. If not,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 15
I'm sure a lot of you are aware of sleep paralysis. If not, it's when a neurotoxin in your brain inhibits you from moving or speaking until the phenomenon is over, (or you're strong enough to break out of it) It's happens to at least everybody once in their life. Here's my experience with it.
>fall asleep about 10 o clock at night
>Storm occurs
>sudden noise wakes me out of deep sleep.
>can't move, can't breath.
>Suffocating
>Black silhouette approaches me and I can't yell.
>It's an old ghastly woman, with a dead decaying face. Coming closer to mine.
>Finally snap out of it.
>Not sleep for a whole week.
Post your experiences of this if you ever had any.
>>
>3 am
>turn off netbook
>fall asleep
>suddently wake up
>the is someone in the bed
>feel it resting agains my back but not into the bed
>NOPE.EXE
>close eyes as hard as possilbe as a little shit
>fuck, if this is the end i am fighting back
>can´t fucking move
>FUCK YOU BODY, YOU ARE STRONGER THAN THIS
>hit bed behind me
>can freely move
>go to sleep again
>>
I can force myself to do this practically every night and I have come to alleviate your stress. Those black blobs are nothing, they look like figures , but that's simply your brain doing its job in keeping you alive.

Trust me, I just see darkness out of the corner of my eye and have almost came to the illogical but understandable conclusion that it was a shadow figure.
>>
>>17468871
I never really understood this, why don't you guys just shut your eyes? During SP, I can't focus anyway, so my brain is bound to translate something to danger, it translated a friggin yellow flower into a yellow demon in front of me once during SP. Then I learned not to experiment with opening my eyes, because my eyes will deceive me.
>>
File: B.jpg (13 KB, 213x237) Image search: [Google]
B.jpg
13 KB, 213x237
>>17468871
Think MIB help if this happens to any of you.
MIB
>>
>>17468871
>neurotoxin
I'll tell you what, I'll let you try that again.
>>
>neurotoxin in your brain
Sorry, not to be that guy, but sleep paralysis has nothing to do with neurotoxins. Neurotoxins are a class of poison.
>>
File: 1456987130395.png (274 KB, 435x429) Image search: [Google]
1456987130395.png
274 KB, 435x429
>>17469238
made me chuckle
>>
>>17469238
>>17469239
I was wondering the same thing
>>
Has anyone ever tried to confront the entities that you encounter during SP? I've never had the courage to open my eyelids when it happens, so I'll always hear and 'feel' the hallucinations, but never see anything. I always think I'll have the courage to, but when the nightmare scene starts playing after I get paralyzed, I just try and ignore the sensations as best as I can.
>>
>>17469404
Once you manage to get your body to move they disappear since you wake up completely.
>>
>>17469238
>>17469239
more on this
http://media.utoronto.ca/media-releases/health-medicine/study-identifies-how-muscles-are-paralyzed-during-sleep/
>>
>>17469404
I was so excited the first time I had sleep paralysis. I could feel a shadow entity crawling behind me, grabbing me from behind, and making it so I couldn't move. It was amazing. I've NEVER felt a presence like that before, it was awesome. I basically invited it in to do its worst and moments later it became nothing. I don't expect to ever have SP ever again, so it was nice while it lasted.

Also: I woke up after it disappeared within me. I'm not really possessable, I guess.
>>
File: Unknown-1.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-1.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
this was a dream I had with parts involving sleep paralysis
>taking a nap
>friend busts into my room real quick (like kramer)
>I jolt up, startled awake
>friend: "hey anon quit napping, come downstairs and hang out"
>me (finding myself unable to speak): "hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhn"
>after the initial jolting up, not only can I not speak, but I can't move any of my muscles
>fall back on the pillow
>can't get up
>can't scream
>slowly sinking into blackness
>different friend busts into my room real quick (like kramer)
>I jolt up, startled awake
>first friend is gone, it was just a bad dream :)
>friend: "come on everyone's down stairs come hang out"
>me: "hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
>fall back on pillow
>sinking into blackness
>friend busts in (like kramer)
>friend: "come hang out"
>me: "h"
>pillow
>blackness
>goes on like this for a few more rounds, until I finally get it
>this is a dream
>wake up alone with no friends
I've got another one I'll post too that's a little more similar to other accounts I've heard
>>
>>17469453
>I woke up after it disappeared within me. I'm not really possessable, I guess.
you possessed, son
>>
>>17469529
This was months and months ago. The condition for possession literally couldn't have been better. If I was possessed, there have been zero symptoms.

I felt like it was a part of me in the first place, so being afraid of it didn't make sense. It's like letting a visualization or thought pass.
>>
>ITT idiots don't know that sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations are totally normal and in no way supernatural
>>
>>17469404
confronting the entities would be the same as talking to the things you see in a dream/nightmare because it's exactly the same thing except you're awake
>>
I get sleep paralysis almost every week. But it usually ends the same. I wake up realizing I am in sleep paralyis and attempt to move my hands and feet(these are the two things you may be able to wiggle to wake yourself up) but after this doesnt work I attempt to go into a lucid dream, it works most of the time, but even if it works I eventually fall back into sleep paralysis and be greeted by a very large man with cracks in his skin where blood is dripping out and has almost sand-like skin. He walks around my bed until eventually I end up succesfully moving. Whenever he sees me move he walks over to me, grabs into my chest, pulls me up from the bed and then I wake up
>>
>early morning
>laying on my back
>open my eyes
>hear a funky bass line over and over
>"the small golden eyed dog"
>"with a body shaped like a cat"
>it was my phone ringing
>rang three times total
>fell back asleep

luckily i had heard of this before so i tried my best not to freak out, and didn't. I guess the weirdest thing about ths story is that i cannot find the song now. I know it's a song by andrew WK because i had it downloaded, but it's not on youtube anywhere. just this weird video some dude made with his dog in it. the song is in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn3psE2xkAk
>>
>>17471703
the sand man.. is real
>>
>>17468871
I had SP 5 times in a row in one night. This was before I knew I could use it for lucid dreaming, but I did get SP quite a bit.

So I went into the first SP, I heard a growl, I got myself out of it. The second SP, I heard a growl and a quiet laugh, and got myself out of it

The third SP, I heard a voice saying "Where do you think you're going?"

The fourth SP, it was a growl. So I stayed awake for a while. From SP 1-4, it was about 15 minutes all up.

The fifth time I went into SP, the voice laughed and said "I've got you now!" and then I woke up. Was pretty fucking spooky, so I prayed it away, and I didn't get SP for about 4 months.

Not too long ago, I got back into trying to LD. I now embrace SP, and I'm excited as fuck when it happens to me, I'm no longer scared. I did experience an OBE about 2 months ago, which was pretty fucking awesome. I went into SP, and then tried to go into LD, but then my body decided to float away from my physical body, and I looked around at my bedroom door and saw a bright white energy field. 10/10 would experience again.

>>17469189
>I can force myself to do this practically every night and I have come to alleviate your stress.
How do you have SP every night senpai? They say that you should lay perfectly still, and think about something to keep your mind awake, but I end up falling asleep most of the time.
>>
>>17471765
>senpai
Kek, didn't know /x/ also filtered words too, thought it was only /pol/
>>
>>17468871
>be 14 y old me
>wake up
>can't move
>happen to know what sleep paralysis is
>see some black shilouette stanging next to bed
>??????
>Stay calm aware this is just sleep paralysis and its probably just a hallucination.
>It turns back(?) and leaves trough the door
>once it closes the door i can move again
>go back to sleep
>>
>>17471668

>hypnagogic hallucinations

When I google it it only shows blobs of color, not figurative entities.

I guess normies even have lame hallucinations due to their low imagination.
>>
>>17471839
>i think i saw an entity
>I cant possibly mistaken because i have a feeling of certainty
>personal experience>everything else
>>
>>17471861

I am not saying it is paranormal, I am saying it was figurative, most people see blobs because thye are normies who enjoy NFL and shit.
>>
what happend to me was i went to bed at nine at night the usual then i woke up for some reason and i saw a figure in the at the end of my bed just staring at me for no reason i was wide awake at the time and i remember him saying something in a deep voice saying that the time will come and i will be there. then i went back to sleep couldn't sleep for three weeks
>>
>go to sleep as usual
>always slept on my belly because l'm scared of sleep paralysis
>wake up on my fucking back in the middle of the night
>heavily breathing
>look angrily to the wall
>try to move my toes while l breathe like a fucking mong for no reason
>l can feel something touch my feet
>yell "SUCK MY DICK DEMONS" in my head
>break out of sp
I get sp often, what l do is that l move my fingers before opening my eyes, after a while it became a habit. If l feel like my fingers are paralysed l don't open my eyes and continue sleeping/try to move without opening my eyes
>>
>>17468871
>It's happens to at least everybody once in their life
>your experiences of this if you ever had any
> neurotoxin

Please don't talk about things you are clueless about. It spreads misinformation and ignorance.
>>
I wake up, get out of bed, walk down the hall, pass through the living room, open the front door.

I wake up, get out of bed, walk down the hall, pass through the living room, open the front door.

I wake up. I can't get out of bed. Something is trying to get inside through my window.

I wake up. I'm scared now. I begin to feel like I'm being pulled out of my body. I refuse. I fight it.

I wake up. I still can't move. Nothing now. I open my eyes. It's dark. Am I really awake this time? I can move! I get out of bed, walk down the hall, pass through the living room, open the front door.

I wake up.

That's how it is for me. I don't know if that's sleep paralysis, but it sucks. I will go through multiple loops of window monsters and "pulling" sensations. I honestly don't know if I ever actually open my eyes until I actually wake up. The events are vivid as life when it's happening.
>>
>>17469453
>I'm not really possessable, I guess.

Nigga if your getting your ass posessed by a dream you got worse problems than sleep paralysis.
>>
>>17471897
No, most people see blobs because they have a good grip on reality and don't shit their pants when they see their own shadow.
>>
Whenever I get it nothing interesting happens, it just feels like my body is still asleep but my mind is awake and my eyes open. Although it's a little scary at times if I'm still in sleep breathing mode, it feels like I'm about to suffocate.
>>
File: 1447702859932.jpg (11 KB, 249x245) Image search: [Google]
1447702859932.jpg
11 KB, 249x245
I had a pretty bad one, a few days ago.
It tends to happen, if I stay awake for too long and then going to bed, or, ironically enough, when I've had too much sleep.

>wake a up a little bit
>hear a voice that says that this what's it to go insane, followed by a manic high pitched giggle
>nope the fuck up and be wide awake forever

Heart was pounding for a solid 15 minutes afterwards. Well, fuck me.

Any opinions?
>>
>>17468871
i am dogkin. this can be true. i tend to also bark, when i enjoy the situation.
otherkin ftw!
>>
>go to akashic record
>while asleep
>wake up to paralyze time
>see a giant goat friend looks like a goat god
>starts to meld into my body
>I'm bored so went back to sleep
Unsure what goat god man wanted.
>>17472468
>Topkek
>>
>>17468871
it's not a neurotoxin you dumb fucking moron
>>
>>17468871
As many people have stated, OP. A "neurotoxin" is not the cause of sleep paralysis. By definition, according to Merriam Webster, a neurotoxin is a poisonous complex, especially of protein that acts on the nervous system. SP is caused by, but not limited to a lack of sleep, changes in sleep schedule, narcolepsy(which can be determined through genetic testing, and is usually hereditary), stress or other mental instability, substance abuse/side effects of medications. A more ridiculous cause of SP, well...in my opinion, is supposedly night time leg cramps, like yeah okay. Leg cramps=hallucinations.
For further reading, you could also just use wiki, which actually has a number of credible sources in the citation.
This is my left brain understanding of the topic, but I have experienced this as well and have another theory.

Here's an experience that I had when I was 15
>wake up before school
>slowly open my eyes, realizing at the same time that i'm paralyzed
>see a hideous skinless humanoid figure holding me down with my arms above my head
>look down, see another at my feet
>PANIC.gif
>struggling to move
>eyes darting around notice that Spongebob is on TV
>sound is in slow motion, as well as fan next to my bed
>creature leans over
>whispers in my ear "Calm down"
>freaks out more, struggling more
>sadface.png
>finally break free
>Spongebob and fan resume at normal speed

I want to note that I never had an actual door with a wall to my room, it was a "wall" of sliding doors and I would usually keep it cracked open-this separated the living room from my room. As for the Spongebob being on the TV, I mentioned this because during my SP experience, as noted, everything was in extreme slow motion. This is what scared me because as soon as I snapped out of it the words fluidly continued with the episode. I am aware of the fact that this is most likely due in part to the fact that you're in an in between state when experiencing SP.
>>
>>17468871
I have had sleep paralysis several times in the past, but never with the accompanying hallucinations.

So instead, after the first two times it's happened I just wake up to find I can't move my body and it's like "well shit, this again" before struggling to move.
>>
>>17469559
You are retarded. There is no entity, its your mind playing tricks on you. Sleep paralysis can be self induced easily. There are no demons
>>
>>17471765
OBE doesnt exist. It was just ld
>>
>>17468871
>not physically tired, but try to sleep because I have to wake up early
>started to fall asleep
>it begins
>felt as if someone/something tying my feet real tight
>I'm on my side and can't even be on my back
>felt a strong hug from my back, and a voice telling me to let go and fly with it
>started to suffocate trying to move a finger
>I finally did it
>I moved and I was able to lie on my back

This is the latest one that happened to me last week. I can't remember the previous ones.
>>
>>17475683
cont....
My spiritual aka scientifically unsound theory on SP is this:
I'm sure you're familiar with all the shit on /x/. So with an assumption that you, and whomever else reads this knows generally about these topics I think that SP could be a time when you are experiencing some sort of in between dimension.
A lot of theosophical societies believe in a place, not physical, where there is a record of all human thought and action or a place of knowledge, this is also common is esoteric belief. There are many names for this place, the river of knowledge by reiki healers, the akashic records, the tree of knowledge, etc. In many religious/philosophical practices there is reference to a third eye or an attainment of enlightenment. In science, they are in search of answers/knowledge/understanding of everything as well, but results are tangible and measurable. Some believe that once you die or reach enlightenment you are able to experience an afterlife. I have also read that once your reach "enlightenment" you become one with the universe, gain knowledge of all, surpass a physical state and a whole bunch of other crap. I have read about extradimensional beings, being able to occasionally manifest into our dimension. I think it's a common belief in spiritualism that you're able to astral project in your sleep.
What if while experiencing hypnopompic sleep paralysis we are not experiencing hallucinations, but the results of subconsciously/unwittingly manifesting thoughts or calling out to beings from this other realm because our third eye is open?
And granted, this is just crazy speculation, but if anyone has anything to add I'd be more than interested to hear.
>>
File: dave.jpg (54 KB, 1100x618) Image search: [Google]
dave.jpg
54 KB, 1100x618
I experienced my first sleep Paralysis today:
>wake up
>5 more minutes
>lying on my side
>i feel someone move behind me in my bed.
>I live alone, no gf.
>"Who the fuck?"
>try to turn and see what it is, but can't move
>feel and hear, wheezing breath on my neck
>out of the corner of my eye, i see a shadowy figure looking down on me
>dark mist is seeping out of it's body
>"Well, this is obviously not a real person."
>nope.jpg
>try to go back to sleep
>can't, fucker is still there
>manage to move my finger and everything returns to normal
Something in me must be broken, if i can wake up with a demon-like shadow creature breathing down my neck, and it's about as exciting as doing tax returns.
>>
File: 1449985246457.jpg (55 KB, 460x690) Image search: [Google]
1449985246457.jpg
55 KB, 460x690
>>17469517
>>this is a dream
>>wake up alone with no friends
>>
man i fucking hate people not knowing jack shit about SP talking about it ina paranormal way. i tend to get pretty heavy SP when i stop smoking weed for a day and fall asleep sober after at least a week of daily use. i've started smoking weed three years ago and never expierenced it before. i've done some research after the first time it happened becaue it obviously scared the living shit out of me and found out it has to something to do wih the nervous system and not walking up proberly - nothing more nothing less
>>
>>17477793
i feel your rage man
people on this fucking board are so fucking retarded
>>
>>17475788
>My spiritual aka scientifically unsound theory on SP is this:
why bother posting your bullshit speculation
>>
>>17469517
Ok threads still up two days later, so here's another awake-while-asleep story:

>be on vacation
>sleeping in different places usually gives me vivid dreams (don't remember many dreams at home, so I'm psyched)
>that night I'm asleep
>wake up in the middle of the night
>can't see
>well, it's dark. Try to look around
>can't move
>all in an instant, I'm hit with a pang of fear, but it subsides just as quick as I reason out:
>"I remember going to bed, I must be asleep and this is like some part of a dream"
>Reasonable sleeping self, at this point decides to take stock of my surroundings:
>ok, so: 1) surrounded by nothing. 2) I can feel my body but can't move 3) anything else?
>yes there is one other "thing" I can sense:
>feel buzzing in the center of my forehead and I am able to concentrate on it more or less
>as I focus on the buzzing, I feel less and less aware / awake and the fear sensation comes back.
>I'm thinking "this is the door our of this sleep paralysis or whatever" so i keep focusing on it trying to discount the weird feeling of pure fear,
>I'm losing consciousness, thinking I'm making my way back to the world of sleep or something, but now that the buzzing in my forehead is really ramping up, it's kinda starting to hurt.
>it's painful and it's scary and it's suddenly obvious that this is NOT something I should be doing.
>It feels like If I go any further I will simultaneously fall asleep / explode my head
>I go decide to go the other way
>loosening my concentration on the buzzing
>letting go of my frantic determination to escape this weird whatever state
>buzzing subsides
>feels like a ton of pressure has been released from my head
>I'm fully aware / awake (just can't see or move still)
>"why haven't I woken up yet????"
>"oh yeah I'm on vacation!!!"
>as soon as I remember the room I was in when I fell asleep, I'm able to open my eyes and wake up

don't know what to think of that! certainly weirded me out at the time.
>>
>>17475788
hey I read your post after just now posting this story that happened to me but I'd like to see your insight on this cause what you said is pretty intriguing >>17480471
>>
>>17468871
>me
>16
>3pm
>tired as fuck, junior year killing me
>fall mostly asleep
>in dream in bed
>bed floating above field
>field snowy on one half and desert on the other, I feel the heat and cold
>bed starts falling
>i feel falling sensation
>about to pass out
>time to wake up
>open eyes
>cannot move
>Light in room, home alone, nothing happens
>look at feet
>try to move them
>try my hardest
>they wont move
>hear grandma laughing
>ohhellnaw.jpg
>close eyes
>continue falling in dream, almost pass out
>open eyes, hear her laughing again
>Close eyes again, close to passing out
>wake up, can move again
>tell girlfriend
>What the fuck

not sure if I was able to open my eyes or not, the memory is a bit foggy.
>>
>>17468871
>constantly wake up at ~3 am
>see shadowy figures/hands rise from side of bed
>can't move for a bit as i watch
>eventually swat at whatever is there
>it's nothing
>can't go back to sleep
Wtf does this mean? Am I hallucinating while conscious? I'm always fully awake when this happens
>>
why tf do I break out of it almost immediately
>>
>>17469424
/thread
>>
>>17475716
You can't fool me satan
>>
>>17468871
>happens to at least everybody
So, it might happen to MORE than everybody?
>>
The only experience I ever had with this was fucking terrifying. It hit me deep

>Lay down and prepare for sleep
>Sleep never really kicks in
>I go with it thinking it's interesting
>Room keeps getting darker
>Eventually realize I couldn't move if I wanted to
>Minutes later get the clearest, most vivid imagery my mind has ever produced
>It's a woman dressed like in the 50s, and a young boy before her
>The woman drives her hand up the boys head, pulling away the hair, revealing the boy's face
>The instant I see the boy's face I get the coldest, most mind-shattering shiver down my spine

Didn't attend class for an entire week, didn't sleep much, didn't eat much. It fucking destroyed me. This is why I don't try LSD
>>
>>17468871
>sleep paralysis
Good, good, evil wizards should develop the spell of sleep paralysis! So much bastards at the Earth merit it. And lethargy too.
>>
>>17481775
Are you ok?
>>
File: 1455681250095.jpg (13 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
1455681250095.jpg
13 KB, 225x224
>>17481720
>more than everybody
The demons are experiencing SP as well
>>
>>17468871
Sleep paralysis is not caused by "neurotoxins". It's your brain doing its job to keep you from thrashing about in your sleep. However what you are experiencing is called a "hypnogogic state". Basically your body is asleep and your mind is awake, projecting your dreams and subconscious fears of succubi and demons into the waking world because your eyes are locked open. Once you master this state, it becomes very useful in inducing Lucid Dreams. I have sleep paralysis almost every night, as a result I've truly mastered my dreams.
>>
>>17480309
Is that not what /x/ is? Speculation regarding the absurd, spoopy shit, and arg fags?
>>
>>17480309
I mean seriously, do you believe in magic and shit? Because I don't, but regardless it's fun to think about.
>>
>>17480483
It's just a thought I had. It's not really anything you should take to heart. I guess I could give you my rational take on your SP experience. You mentioned a buzzing sound. Not sure if you're aware of tinnitus(I meant to mention it before but forgot), but it is a sound in the head with no external source. It is often heard as a high pitched ringing in the ears, but can also be heard as buzzing, chirping, shrieking, roaring, whistling, and even the humming of a tune. In less common cases even clear voices or music can be heard.
"Sound waves travel through the ear canal to the middle and inner ear, where hair cells in part of the cochlea help transform sound waves into electrical signals that then travel to the brain’s auditory cortex via the auditory nerve. When hair cells are damaged — by loud noise or ototoxic drugs, for example — the circuits in the brain don’t receive the signals they’re expecting. This stimulates abnormal activity in the neurons, which results in the illusion of sound, or tinnitus." via Harvard Health Publications
Tinnitus is more common in people with depression, but there are quite a few factors which cause this(which I won't list). As you may know people with depression are also subject to more episodes of SP. The hallucinations that one experiences is commonly due to you more or less being in the REM state still while awake, and your body/brain just being a fucking dick not corresponding with you waking(I explain this in my other post). The amplified sound of the buzzing/tinnitus could be due to the fact that you were sleeping and your brain was just trying to tune out the external noises. As you become "aware" your brain starts sending the necessary signals for you to actually wake the 2nd time around.
>>
>>17469453
Can I be as cool and edgy as you when I grow up? If I have to move into my mom's basement that's a deal breaker, though I've heard rumors that you can't be edgy otherwise
>>
I actually tried getting it before and succeeded.
Here's my most recent experience
>be tired af at 1pm
>sleep and wake up at 3pm
>decide to try doing it and lay like a corpse in a coffin
>fall asleep and wake up some time later
>to my surprise, I didn't experience any hallucinations as I expected
>the reason why I've been trying it was to experience Astral projection as I heard that could be achieved by SP
>Try moving my hand up to my face, I can feel it moving up to my face and I make it hover over my face even though in reality it is actually laying by my arm still
>realize my success and decide to go further by getting up
>prop both hands on bed by they fall through or some shit
>that didn't work so I try rolling over
>at this point I actually woke up
I plan on trying again because I really want to experience Astral projection to the point where I can see my own sleeping body.
>>
>>17468871
I've had it happen to me before as well. Couldn't move and felt like I had a truck parked on my chest. I didn't see anything but had the strongest feeling of empending doom in my life.
>>
This happens to me every 6-8 months, maybe longer. I never see anything because I sleep on my stomach, and I can usually break out of it pretty quickly. Pretty lame contribution, I know.
>>
File: consciousness.png (111 KB, 953x660) Image search: [Google]
consciousness.png
111 KB, 953x660
1/2

An excellent and thoughtful response to OP, anon.

>>17475683
>my left brain understanding
For all of your knowledge, I'm surprised to see here you're unaware that the left/right analytical/creative brain "theory" is actually commonly believed, yet incorrect, myth.

>Generally speaking, the left side of the brain tends to control many aspects of language and logic, while the right side tends to handle spatial information and visual comprehension.

Later research has shown that the brain is not nearly as dichotomous as once thought. For example, recent research has shown that abilities in subjects such as math are strongest when both halves of the brain work together. Today, neuroscientists know that the two sides of the brain collaborate to perform a broad variety of tasks and that the two hemispheres communicate through the corpus callosum.

"No matter how lateralized the brain can get, though, the two sides still work together," science writer Carl Zimmer explained in an article for Discover magazine. "The pop psychology notion of a left brain and a right brain doesn’t capture their intimate working relationship. The left hemisphere specializes in picking out the sounds that form words and working out the syntax of the phrase, for example, but it does not have a monopoly on language processing. The right hemisphere is more sensitive to the emotional features of language, tuning-in to the slow rhythms of speech that carry intonation and stress."

- via http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/left-brain-right-brain.htm

additional info:
http://www.livescience.com/39373-left-brain-right-brain-myth.html

https://www.braindecoder.com/neil-degrasse-tyson-elegantly-debunk-right-left-brain-myth-1120713524.html
>>
File: cosmosandconsciousness.jpg (83 KB, 426x538) Image search: [Google]
cosmosandconsciousness.jpg
83 KB, 426x538
>>17483427
2/2

>>17475788
again, a great reply to OP. The topics you mentioned related to the awake/asleep states and the in-between - an esoteric river of knowledge, enlightenment being 'at one with the universe', hidden dimensions (and extra-dimensional beings), and astral projection are fascinating paranormal ideas.

>>17475788
>In science, they are in search of answers/knowledge/understanding of everything as well, but results are tangible and measurable.

I do quite like that you mentioned the scientists role, but when it comes to science in this area there are actually many, many "results" still unknown. science may be able to explain much about what happens with our brains (and our awareness) as we sleep, but we don't have all of the answers. there are still many unknowns about the brain, and about sleep (how, and why, do we dream? for example).

Also, many ideas about these ideas are not exactly tangible. What is it in our brains that gives us our consciousness (and awareness of 'the self') exactly? how does ours differ from that of animals? is there a scientific explanation for a 'soul'? and so on and so on...

Before neurologists, philosophers sought answers to these ideas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness

I think that what you said about sleep paralysis - both the paranormal and the scientific ideas related to it - is right on. Just wanted to encourage you not to downplay science's role in the search for explanations.

PS I hope what I wrote made sense -- I've been up all night and am falling asleep as I write this!

PPS have you seen the movie, "Waking Life"?
>>
File: SAVEME.jpg (12 KB, 367x202) Image search: [Google]
SAVEME.jpg
12 KB, 367x202
>>17482030
hey (I'm the same anon that replied to you above.
(here >>17483427 and here >>17483476 )

I just realized that you're the same anon that wrote here >>17482030 ... so I now I see you know quite a bit about the scientific side of the brain/sleep/consciousness! that's awesome. :)

I love thinking about this stuff - both the paranormal aspects and the neurological. I've had sleep paralysis throughout my life (anywhere from 3 to 8 times a year, if I had to guess.)
My mom told me when I was little that it happens to her too, and that it tends to happen when she is sleeping on her back. to this day I rarely sleep on my back, or even lie down that way to read or anything.

like >>17482764
and >>17482323
I've never had hallucinations. I was always aware of where I was (I could "see" the room I was in - or so I thought, as my eyes were actually closed). I also felt tremendous "impending doom" every single time. always utter panic and distress trying like mad to stop it.

You know those stories of locked-in-syndrome? Or people who become "awake/aware" during surgery? that's exactly what it's like (just at home, not in a hospital bed.)

most of the time it happens when I'm napping, tho it does happen on regular nights of sleep - but mainly on nights when my sleep schedules been messed up. I've had chronic depression throughout my life too..
unfortunately I still always struggle for several minutes before I can break out of it. My boyfriend and mom have had to wake me fully by grabbing me, shaking me, or pulling me up. In my mind, I'm screaming "HELP ME. HELP. I CAN'T WAKE UP. I'M ASLEEP WAKE ME UP" but what comes out for them to hear as I lie there paralyzed is "ERHHHHRRRR MMRRRHRHHHH".

it's literally
>wake me up.jpg
>can't wake up.jpg
>pic related nightmare for me!
>>
>>17483615
PS I wonder if me being a skeptic when it comes to the paranormal has any bearing on the lack of hallucinations (like seeing inter-dimensional beings)...

Since seeing Waking Life (when learned about lucid dreaming and began practicing some), I think I have paralysis episodes less often.

I also wonder if the fear that sleep paralysis always brings is somehow related to our fear of death. that is the ultimate unknown - what philosophers and scientists have always been and still are searching for - what does it mean to be alive and what happens when we die... I think on some level we feel that studying dreams and sleep we are looking for answers about ourselves, our connection to the world, and what happens to us when we enter the Big Sleep.

Again, I've barely slept. Please excuse me if I've worded my posts poorly.
>>
>>17483427
Actually I am aware of this knowledge, it is however a term I still use often regardless because people are familiar with the terminology, but thank you for sharing the articles. Very interesting.

>>17483476
Thanks for your insight, but I would like to clarify....
And I actually apologize for saying that. I should've worded it better. You are right, more or less, about there being many things that we have yet to discover. What I meant that in reference to was what we already know, or just a generalization. In the past 100 years we know so much more than what we did, prior, in "the quest for knowledge." Lol. Also, our gained knowledge is more tangible if you just look around, is what I was trying to say I guess? That wasn't my intention though.

>>17483615
It's interesting that you mention that your mother gets it. In studies they have tried to link SP with narcolepsy(as a cause), it is hereditary so it is something they look for when performing a genetic test.

Also, I have not seen Waking Life.
>>
>>17469202
Why? It's one of the only chances you get to play with hallucinations without doing any form of drugs. I wish it happened more often to me.

I have seen shadow people stare at me during sleep paralysis, but once you acknowledge that it is just hallucinations, your heart rate goes back to normal.
>>
>>17475719
You can't say that on here, every single autist thinks astral projection and OBE are a their own thing when in reality, they're just lucid dreaming.
>>
>>17483629
Not a problem at all, generally speaking, I think most of my posts are done during ungodly hours....where I'm so physically tired I almost can't see straight, but my brain is going a mile a minute so I'm trying my hardest to just have diarrhea of the fingers to just get everything out before I ktfo. Lol.

I'm not sure if that has any bearings on whether or not you hallucinate or not, it may be just how deep you are in the REM state when "waking," which may be the determining factor of whether or not you have visual or auditory hallucinations. We have no way of really knowing either.
That's a cool theory of the fear of SP. I think what you said is completely plausible. We are inclined to reject the unknown, and I think you're right about it being more or less some form of soul searching.
>>
>>17483615
Also, that anesthesia awareness shit is spoopy. And I meant to address the fact that you've had chronic depression. Did you know that along with narcolepsy, depression is also something that can potentially be hereditary. Isn't that fuckie? It makes me really wonder about "depression" because so many illnesses are linked to it or are caused by it, it's weird, and more cases of depression are being diagnosed as time passes. I know that it's probably due in part to the fact that social and economic norms are drastically changing, and with more clinical studies we're able to pinpoint more symptoms of depression, advancements in medical blah blah blah, and all that. I still think it's weird, nevertheless. What do you think?
>>
>>17469453
Don't lie. You wanted the entity to get sexy with you, didn't you?
>>
>>17469404
>be me
>have sp
>someone grabs my ankles and starts to drag me off if the bed
>it is invisible
>can't speak so think to yourself
>'if I'm not allowed to sleep, could we at least fuck'
>sp instantly over
>>
>>17483777
I agree it's fun until you hallucinate actual hardcore physical pain or my personal favorite: waking up in SP under the covers and I can hardly breathe. All I know is if I don't get moving and pull this blanket off me I'm going to suffocate to death. That shit is literally scary as fuck.

The worst pain are those goddamn cramps underneath the back of my ribs and I can't move to adjust my back. I just have to lay there and take it while I'm struggling hardcore inside to snap out of it.
>>
>>17469453
>I'm not really possessable, I guess.
DAAAAAAMN! no way dude i wish i couldnt be possessed that's so fucking rad
>>
If funny that you guys think closing your eyes does anything. You realize youre dreaming, right? You can just hallucinate "through" your eyelids, I've done it a bunch.
>>17471897
No you fucking bellend, everyone has hypnagogic hallucinations. They happen as you fall as sleep.
>>
File: image.png (851 KB, 1554x1978) Image search: [Google]
image.png
851 KB, 1554x1978
Idk if its sleep paralysis but sometimes I wake up and I my body feels really heavy or it feels like I cant move my body.
Its like trying to run under water. Moving my limbs feels incredibly strained and almost painful.
>>
Woke up in sleep paralysis about five months ago and was having a wet dream.
>Best sex of my life
>Myeyes rolled to the back of my head
>>
File: 1457315033408.gif (1 MB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
1457315033408.gif
1 MB, 500x279
When I get SP, which happens at least once a month, I basically know that it's happening and calm myself down.

I often believe I'm awake, and sometimes believe I'm sitting up in bed or out of bed, but then snap back into my bed, at which point I realize I'm in SP. I try to move, I try to struggle, I sometimes try to scream, and sometimes I believe I actually am screaming, but I never am.

Luckily for me, I usually don't have weird shit like intruders and stuff going on. When I do, I reason my way out of it, I tell myself I'm in SP and this shit isn't real. That calms me down enough to break out of SP.

Still a super fucked up feeling though.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (164 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
164 KB, 1280x720
>Preface: these stories are not interesting.

A couple months ago, I had three or four episodes of sleep paralysis pretty close to eachother. Prior to that, I'd had it maybe once or twice in my life, and that was probably five years ago or more.
The very first time years ago, I don't really remember, except that I woke up very suddenly because I thought somebody was in the room with me. I couldn't move or speak, and my body felt very strange. Eventually, I was able to move my fingers, and this lead to me being able to move my whole body.

The first time a few months ago, I remember having a very strange dream, where I was trying to talk to somebody about the nature of God or something. Suddenly, I became aware that I could hear my voice in the dream, even though I wasn't actually speaking, which made me really uncomfortable. It was about then that I realized that I couldn't move, and I felt a very heavy weight on me. My voice kept talking, and eventually I opened my eyes and saw a dog-faced woman looking down at me, talking. When I got control back, I realized I was actually seeing a curtain.

The time after that, I woke up in the middle of the night because I thought I heard music, but I couldn't open my eyes or move my body to see where it was coming from. Eventually, I became convinced that there was someone in the room with me who was playing the music to try to trick me into looking at it - so naturally, I opened my eyes, and I see this big black mass in the corner of the room, which I seem to think was something pretending to be my mother (it was actually a bunch of instrument cases stood up). I'm not sure if I really screamed or if I was dreaming it, but after that I was better, if jolted.

The last times I hardly remember. I woke up and couldn't move, felt weird, etc, but nothing frightening happened.

According to my mother and brother I used to (casually) scream a lot in my sleep when I was really young, but I don't really think this is related.
>>
>>17488758
I can confirm this. I videotaped myself sleeping once HOPING I could catch a SP moment and I did.
>in the SP dream, I was lying in my bed freaking the fuck out, not being able to move
On the tape, I was sound asleep like a baby, not even snoring. Then I saw myself wake up real fast, eyes wide open, looking around, bewildered. That was it. Was disappointed.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.