[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brainstorming Creatures
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: monster.jpg (149 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
monster.jpg
149 KB, 600x400
Do you have any cool ideas for enemies in horror videogames? You can talk about the way they would look and sound, their behavior and environment and/or the overall mechanics behind it.

Essentially try to think about the things that would scare you the most.
>>
Bumping for potential
>>
>>17337459
just use your momma as an enemy
>>
Things that don't die, or are incredibly difficult to kill, forcing you to either run away, get clever, or find a different route.

The scariest things I've ever seen in a game are:

>Call of Ctulhu, the hotel chase scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76pKlPPn5N4

If you took too long, you were dead. If you missed a door bolt, you were dead, Your only option was panic. These guys make it look easy, believe me, it wasn't.

>FarCry 4, getting mauled by a sneaky tiger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akJ5qatYC60

On more than one occasion, while hunting random animals, I was attacked by a tiger also hunting random animals.

>mfw it saw me hiding in the tall grass and decided I was far tastier than any yak
>>
president
king
scientist
doctor
FDA guy
cop
newspaper guy who deletes things
>reality
>the alien mmo
>>
>>17337465
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76pKlPPn5N4

Wow, they don't give up
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>17337577
I died 20 times on that stage by either getting hacked to bits by fishermen or leaping from windows in an act of adrenaline-fueled desperation. There were no clues or waypoints to follow. A few times I actually switched off the PC through sheer anger and vowed never to play it again. There was no defence, your only option was run like a bitch or die.

Shit was hard senpai, and very scary.
>>
File: 1419229162283.jpg (530 KB, 636x900) Image search: [Google]
1419229162283.jpg
530 KB, 636x900
>>
make a huge grey bird based on a black eyed potoo

these shits make creepy sounds like "MOOOOOOOOOOM"

can somebody further refine this idea?
>>
>>17337438
>Essentially try to think about the things that would scare you the most.

It's this really weak old lady, and, you know those trypophobia pictures? Like that one of the finger? Her face is just that with eyes.
She tries covers herself up in like, a cloak and maybe hood, but her face ins't fully covered, and she keeps weakly and slowly chasing you, mumbling.
You can't kill her.
And she doesn't kill you.
>>
I never saw a bodysnatcher the bodysnatcher is a spirit who can possess you and take control over your char for a while and runs defenseless toward the enemies, you have to protect yourself with an elixir, skill or armor.
>>
>>17337917
Sounds idiotic as fuck.
>>
>>17337924
Because it would be to hard to play for you!
Beginners level gamer!
>>
>>17337902
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjqRYpIwnB8
>>
A magot in the brain and if you don't treat it they will populate and you will loose experience points and skills.
>>
>>17337953
>>17337917
Not him but that sounds like an incredibly retarded mechanic
>>
>>17337438
a zombie that got infected while giving birth, with a baby zombie head coming out of her vagina and screeching all the time
>>
File: 1453077734681.jpg (79 KB, 639x465) Image search: [Google]
1453077734681.jpg
79 KB, 639x465
>its an OP steals ideas from anonymous idiots on the internet episode
>>
>>17338177
That sounds pretty fucking cool actually
>>
mimic powerups/ammo/weapon
mimic save rooms
>>
>>17338194
as if the anonymous idiots would ever have the resources to put their ideas into practice
>>
>>17337438

>ITT: trying to steal the imagination of other people
>>
>>17337610
Was actually easy, read shadow over innsmouth, it's practically a strategy guide for that section.
>>
>>17338685
Exactly, they had to write strategy guides for the fucker. Without those It was trial and error for a few hours until you eventually managed to get away. It took me a good few hours to get timing right/find the route. Shit was exhausting, and terrifying.

The feeling of being chased is probably the No1 nightmare fuel imo.

Alien Resurrection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ucl5Q3KXUY

The atmosphere gave me nightmares. The lighting was perfect. After a few levels it gets to a point where you were always at 30% health, 3 bullets short of an empty clip, and shit scared of dark places. The aliens would take 10-20 bullets easy, I started having dreams about running around lost looking for ammo/health packs while being chased by shadows. Fuck dat.

Chased around in dark, strange environments with little-no health.. with the odd jumpscare.. are what make a good horror game. Forget graphics, ghostly girls and explosions. You need to be scared for your life at every turn.
>>
>>17338732
No you dingus, shadow over innsmouth was a short story written by h.p. lovecraft, same guy who wrote call of cthulhu, the game was based on his stories, so if you read his stories you'd know exactly what to do at the hotel part. It plays out identically complete with broken lock and book case pushing.
>>
Nothing beats humanity.
>>
no creatures but make it seem like there will be. add creepy noises and random monuments. creatures arent as scary as ominous stuff
>>
>>17338216
>Mimic save rooms
That's not scary that's just plain evil
>>
You can't go wrong with elongated, pale humanoids.

But what really scares me are owl-demons. I dreamt that I was, or was possessed by, one once. They are "wise", wicked. They have sharp talons and can walk as well as fly. But they're essentially extra-dimensional beings and can teleport between dimensions. Shape-shifting maybe?
>>
File: 1451869288689.jpg (352 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1451869288689.jpg
352 KB, 600x800
this
>>
File: pringles.jpg (256 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
pringles.jpg
256 KB, 2000x2000
an empty pringles can that rattles around as it rolls through a dark alley, when seen, lets out a deafening screech and creates a vortex to consume your soul.
>>
>>17339344
>stolen
>>
>>17339383
? where from
>>
>>17337438
A creature that has the feel and look of black driftwood, thier hands look to be made up of twigs glass and mud, they have the look of marionettes with no facial features, and they move in a stiff clock work way.
>>
>>17339344
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGEv54rLvgs
>>
a thought but shapeshifters should be fucking horrible to kill since they could theoretically just shapeshift the wound back to a healthy state*
*that would exclude cutting the head off and/or letting it bleed out (maybe?)
>>
something that you have to run and hide from and that you can never see all of. something that you can hear coming from far, far away, and when you hear it you know that you have to find a house or a cave or something to hide in.
>>
>>17337438
How bout an 8 foot tall, hairy, pulsating benis that rolls around on its balls and has teeth in its pee pee hole
>>
>>17337438
A really eerie setting and then literally any harmless animal. You'll be so worked up over the background and ambience that a hamster is the most goddamn terrifying enemy and you don't know what it's gonna do(it does nothing)
And then you cry,
>>
>>17337438

Anatomy of a scary enemy goes like this:

Movement: for me is what makes a scary enemy. Something that movies in an unnatural way is creepy, even moreso if it's fast. Caveat: running zombies are not scary

Intelligence: Something that's more intelligent than we are is scary. If it exhibits high self preservation and cunning that helps.

Appearance: Hardest part to get right. Make something original for the sake of it, and it has a high chance of looking plain stupid (the original Yautja from Predator looked dumb as hell) Copy someone else and you just made a cliche nobody will be scared of. Go for original and scrap many many designs til you get a good one.

Protip: You may not fully appreciate that a monster looks actually scary until you see it in movement.

Someone got all these things right and ended up with the Xenomorph.
>>
File: 1452199077370.jpg (19 KB, 625x352) Image search: [Google]
1452199077370.jpg
19 KB, 625x352
>>
>>17341053
>a black guy in your house at night
Yep, that's pretty terrifying.
>>
>>17338216
Fucking mimics man
>You are about to open the chest
>You realize that chest wasn't there a moment ago.
>You go to back through the door
>Wait a moment this door wasn't here earlier.
>You bolt into the room
>All the furniture is different than it was only a few minutes ago
>You leap through the window into the street
>No, this isn't the right town
>oh god
>oh god
>>
File: alien isolation.jpg (909 KB, 4000x2259) Image search: [Google]
alien isolation.jpg
909 KB, 4000x2259
>>17337438
The alien universe. The alien is the result of the face hugger impregnating the victim and then spawning something that has both dna from the alien and the victim. So if you set the game on a colony ship packed with both humans and animals (or a city with a zoo) the combination are limitless. Dog aliens, cow aliens, horse aliens, bird aliens etc.
>>
>>17341165
The thing that always appealed to me about the Alien universe was that it was a really a pretty believable cosmic horror story. Think about it:
>Something out there, vastly more intelligent and powerful than we are, looked at the way a bacteriophage kills a cell, and said, "Yeah, we should fucking weaponize this on a sentient-being scale"
>They create artificial life that can adapt perfectly to kill any living being, based on its own genetic blueprint, and for some reason build said weapon to be so durable that it can outlive its creators.
>Why the fuck would you ever need this?
>What the fuck were these things fighting that they needed a weapon that terrible?
>How can we be certain that it was even meant to be a weapon, and that it doesn't simply kill us as a byproduct of its existence?
>Are the things that made it still out there? Or did something manage to kill them all? Which possibility is worse?
>All we know is that we are not alone in the universe, and the only other things that inhabit it are so fucked up as to make us question our very place in it.

And no Prometheus doesn't fucking count.
>>
>>17341181
This is not unbelievable at all. Human beings have the capability of destroying this earth many times over. But who would want that? You sort of answered your own question when you wondered whom they were fighting. In an arms race one side has to constantly one up the other side or face potential extinction. If one side would think for a minute that no, this weapon is too terrible, this would mean giving it up to the other side and suffer its power to be unleashed on one's self first.
>>
>>17341329
>We have met the cosmic horror, and it is us.
>>
There's this game called Eldritch. Don't judge it by it's appearance it's alot of fun. When i was playing it for the first time i got the point where I faced the Shoggoth, in the game Shoggoths are invincible, you can only run. And there was this fear caused by being helpless.

There's this and The Screecher from Don't Starve. Neither of them are particulary scary but you just feel helpless.

So to put it forth, an enemy you can't defeat is the scariest one, the one you can't outwit.
When done right, Cthulu could be like this. The enemy has to deny logic and sense.

An entity which does as much as stares at you from distance but hardly ever interacts can be the most terrifying thing ever, because you know it's there and that it can come any time it wants but chooses not to.
>>
>>17337723

>when you are visiting tumblr
>>
Possibly something that blinds/incapacitates you without actually killing you. maybe even just slows you down, enough for something more dangerous to slowly approach, while you are powerless to stop it.
TL;DR Fucks you up for the bigger thing to finish you off, you cant stop it.
>>
An obscure enemy that seems indistinguishable from a glitch in the game.
Bonus points for ensuring it stays out of all official material and guides.
Double Bonus if you find a way to only include it in certain copies of the game rather than all of them.
S-Rank is achieved if you give it Psycho Mantis style system-reading abilities.

>What looks to be the skin of an old woman mapped to the mesh of some deer-thing wanders up out of the ocean, its head twitching and rotating at impossible angles.
>As it lopes past you, you swear it says your name and something about Castlevania.
>The deer-lady twitches and jumps off into the night, never to be seen again.
>When you ask about this on the internet, the best you can get are rumors and anecdotes.
>>
not an idea for an enemy per se, but more of an idea for a concept (idk if its been done before). a game where basically you're in a twisted world, fighting for your life against hordes of enemies, basically just trying to fight your way to survival. and then at the end of the game, its basically revealed that the "enemies" are humans and you're playing as some kind of daemon seeing the world through hell's eyes and intent on destroying the world, and so the last level is you trying to end yourself while all the powers you've accumulated fight against you.
>>
>>17337438
absolutely nothing

just have a bunch of potential jumpscare parts and have nothing there
>>
i'd really like a better version of eileen from silent hill 4, some kind of girl you feel like you're supposed to protect while she slowly shows signs that she#s posessed in some way. taking that but with a likeable character that don't slows you down and make it relevant to the plot. SH 2 kinda did this with maria in certain endings too but still not that well i think... any of you guys know a game where this stuff happened?
>>
File: 1455056549342.jpg (19 KB, 448x295) Image search: [Google]
1455056549342.jpg
19 KB, 448x295
Those aren't it's eyes.

If I was a skinwalker, I'd wanna be one of these.
>>
>>17338160
i have to agree on this one. having your game character on autoplay for a moment isn't scary at all. bodysnatchers might work, if they are subtle like fuckign up your controls so slightly you can't be sure it didn't happen on accident.
>>
>>17338037
This is a thing in Dark Souls
>>
Whatever it is, give it some antlers. Antlers on monsters are fucking bitchin
>>
A creature named 'hope' that latches on to the host and makes them go pretty much go nuts, running into obvious traps and monsters, 'hoping' that they wont be harmed
>>
>>17343123
>slow
>weak
>all you can do is petrify scrubs
>>
You are the president of the united states, you have the nuclear codes and the world is at the verge of apocalipsis, you have to decide the fate of the world, but everynight that passes you experience nightmares that fuel your decision, but like methaporically, like showing you a devasted world and shit, night by night it becomes harder and spookier until it all ends.
>>
>>17343759
Dreamscape: The Game
>>
Chet Zar does some incredible work with creatures.

I'd expand and try to perfect common fears such as spiders, snakes, leeches, heights, blood.
>>
File: enhanced-buzz-561-1346356244-0.jpg (221 KB, 625x499) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-buzz-561-1346356244-0.jpg
221 KB, 625x499
One thing that's always spooked me was the idea of a creature that only attacks you if you see it. It's simple to avoid, until you have to move or find your way out. You hear it, hell it could be right beside you breathing, while your eyes are fast shut. But then later you turn the corner accidentally see it. You lock eyes and you both realize what must happen next. It goes from a calm beast, to a furious frenzied horror. There is actually a Scottish folklore about a dog spirit that does that.
>>
>>17343898
aw i'd be fine with that lil doggy following me around
>>
>>17337773
I really like the concept on a huge winged thing, maybe because you could draw parallels or inspiration from Moth Man and other similar cryptids.

The copying of human speech would be particularly unnerving.
>>
>>17341181
The cosmic horror of the original movie is much more effective because of its ambiguity, mixed with the terrific designs of H.R. Giger.

In the original film, it's never explained what the aliens carrying the Xenos were. It's implied that they were war-mongers, and used the Xeno Eggs as a form of biological weaponry, but its not clear whether they themselves created the Xenos or simply found an effective alien species on some planet and decided to breed and take advantage of them and their violent methods.

What Ridley failed to understand was that we didn't NEED to know who they were. Prometheus failed because it tried to give us answers to questions which didn't need to be asked.

The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
>>
File: 2qse21.jpg (126 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2qse21.jpg
126 KB, 1920x1080
>>17337438
get rid of the jump scares, place entities in the game that are only hardly spotted or randomly some gray(or something) walking past a window if you look closely.
>>
Of the top of my head... Shadow creatures.

Imagine a FPS, you're in a hallway and a black shadow comes along the wall/floor, peels off and attacks you. You can shoot it while it's still on the wall, or when it comes off but it is incredibly hard to hit on an angle since it's 2D until up in your face.
>>
Whether it's a game or a movie, I've always wanted to explore the idea of the afterlife not existing, but a scientist or group of scientists either tethering the essence of a recently deceased colleague or even artificially forming some kind of metaphysical state after death.

They expect something akin to stereotypical ghost behaviour, which they feel they can document, but in the end, the force becomes a siphon of energy and life, twisting from a semi-sentient humanoid recollection of life events to an incomprehensible mass of un-life that grows to consume its former friends.

I have an image in my head of a scene from when the 'ghost' is still changing into something inhuman - when one of the scientists is walking down a corridor or under a bridge in a tunnel, they see at the end a huge humanoid figure curled up to fit inside. It looks at them, babbling in half-speak and wails as it contorts and twists to crawl toward them as they scream.

Thoughts?
>>
>>17337438
Before I describe this I need to clarify this is NOT a zombie. I shall proceed with greentext.

>ancient being
>unknown origins
>unknown capabilities
>takes shape as a corpse, fairly battered and bloody
>captures and torments purely for the sake of it (unclear whether it is for pleasure or research, but not for food)
>does so by playing dead until it is noticed by someone passing by
>once noticed and approached, will spring up and attack the unfortunate bastard
>not human in the slightest, never was
>is part of a much larger species

Feel free to add/change ideas for it.
>>
>>17344085
Trying to keep it close-ish to what could be physically plausible whilst still retaining that whole "ancient creature" feel, thus the lack of flashy attributes and back story.
>>
File: zsasz.jpg (216 KB, 460x534) Image search: [Google]
zsasz.jpg
216 KB, 460x534
Crazy people.
Like, jibbering and unstable. They make good enemies because most of us are extremely unnerved by how they might show small signs of being rational, but also because we have no idea what they're going to do next. I can't be the only one visible shaken by seeing drugged up people or lunatics.

And of course, the Alien franchise. The entire idea of being raped (facehugged) is pretty damn creepy even without you dying, and the alien itself is scary aswell.
>>
Psychic dogs

Basically large dog like creatures with vaguely humanoid heads, the moment one becomes aware of you your vision will start to get blurry, all lights in the area get brighter until they pretty much make the screen borderline white if you look at them directly, the longer it goes on you'll start to hallucinate other enemies are attacking you, the floor and walls start melting away to reveal seemingly nothing around you, and eventually you'll die if it goes on too long. You have to kill the dog fast or you're fucked.

S.T.A.K.E.R. 2 when?
>>
>>17344145
Why a dog?
>>
>>17344178
I got the basic idea from a cut enemy from stalker, psy dogs, which would have spawned illusionary clones of themselves when attacking players if they made it into the final game.
>>
I was thinking of a sci fi horror for this. Youre in a military ship in space flying through a galaxy in which giant leviathan-esque aliens "swim" through space. They're massive, and have the ability to camouflage. Your ship is suddenly eaten up by one but the monster takes a long time to digest food, thus you have an ingame week to get out. You also have to face the monsters bacteria and viruses, which outbreak at certain points in the game. You cannot hurt these bacteria or viruses because either they are needed in the alien to survive or their death will harm certain areas of the aliens body, causing immobility to travel back to those areas because of danger or something.
>>
Maybe a mutated animal form, an anthropomorphic creature that stalks you from very far away
>>
>>17343898
you should read a horror book called "bird box" the plot is that theres an epidemic going around of people going insane and killing themselves after something they see. so to survive, you have to go around with your eyes closed and adapt to living blind. (they use a cage of birds as an alarm, hence the name.) its pretty good.
>>
>>17337438
A mostly transparent amorphous blob the is constantly changing shapes. Although the creature itself isn't scary in a gameplay perspective it could be very frightening as you can't quite see how large it is or get too close
>>
>>17344334
There was this terrific mod for Half-Life 2 which introduces a very unnerving 'watching' figure. You reminded me of it just now. I can't remember what it's called, but it's heavily inspired by The Thing, and is set in a research base in Greenland, I think.

Anyway, throughout the game you're forced into conflict with creatures which as far as you can tell are not supernatural, but ancient organisms.

However, there are subtle nods toward a supernatural shadowy figure that appear throughout the mod's play-time.

One of the greatest times this happens is when you log onto one of the researchers' computers. His wallpaper is a field of bright yellow flowers. When you read through his documents, he describes a shadowy humanoid just like what you've been seeing.
You exit out of the document, back to his wallpaper. And in the distance, standing among the flowers is that figure, just staring, unmoving.

It wasn't a terrifying kind of scary, just creepy, and enough for me to go 'fuuuuuck' when I noticed him in the corner looking out at me.

Anyway, maybe it's just because I have a phobia of people and things just staring at me, but it got me good.
>>
>>17337438
posted this before, but game that says it multiplayer and requires connection to play but it actually all bots that do increasingly weird shit until they say something like "were coming for you" at the end
>>
File: Y8EaW3m.png (456 KB, 1112x820) Image search: [Google]
Y8EaW3m.png
456 KB, 1112x820
gregg
>>
>>17343098
Almost literally cry of fear
>>
File: mangy_bear_PGC.jpg (35 KB, 302x243) Image search: [Google]
mangy_bear_PGC.jpg
35 KB, 302x243
Also, mangy bears can easily be terrifying if you don't realize that it's a bear.

Even then, bears are pretty mean.
>>
>>17344372

Noice,will do
>>
File: caarl.png (12 KB, 432x362) Image search: [Google]
caarl.png
12 KB, 432x362
i havent necessarily created specific monster designs for a game concept yet, but ive been scrapping together a game idea basically made only as a vessel for certain thematic ideas and game-design shit i want to express

its essentially the matrix, but a bit different

>the player character lives in a completely normal and familiar earth
>story kicks in with strange and subtle changes in your reality
>this is all just conceptual build up, skip to the 'beginning'
>pc driving down the road, winter
>insert cool song in radio, radio possibly gets fucked up maybe
>see something on road, some type of abhorrent version of a deer
>swerve off road (misery, heh)
>knocked unconscious, wake up later, obviously freezing fucking cold
>walk through woods, seemingly cant find the road (where did it go?) strange shit happens
>hypothermia kicks in
>pretty sure youre about to kick the bucket
>wake up in some type of pod
>oh shit aliums
>aliums make a noahs arc type thing to preserve all living things (for entertainment? study? hmm)
>you are immortal, due to subtle cybernetic enhancements to halt aging to preserve your consciousness to provide a model of your organism (this is adhering to mysticm and shit like that where the human mind/consciousness/collective unconscious is far more complex than the objective reality itself and cant be simulated w/o a real life model)
>blood has been replaced by some other fluid, finding more fluid if you lose it is imperative to survival (health mechanic)
>if you sustain enough damage (to the point of near death) you have an option, or somehow will be forcefully put back into the 'simulation'
>this creates two parallel game worlds to explore, with death or near-death being the connection between the two, allowing death to be a 'reward' to the player as opposed to using more traditional checkpoint, save, revive, etc concepts

cont.
>>
>>17345401
>the simulation is basically like an HDD, with different partitions being different worlds individually separated from eachother
>political turmoil within aliums, fighting, abotage, lack of maintenance (this is probably the one ill go with) causes the sims partitions to leak into eachother, so you will have humans combined with similar sentients, animals getting fucked up, whatever, just general fuck-upery, the world is 'glitched' out but in the most organic, surreal, and terrifying way

thats about all i got really, kind of a shaky description but w/e
>>
Didn't read the thread yet so not sure if this is already in here but I'd love a game that learns your fears and uses them psychologically to fuck with you. For example the Sound of Silence but more choices and more possibilities
>>
>>17345412
That new PS4 game Until Dawn used a very simple system where you're asked by a psychiatrist what you fear. What you choose ends up in the game later on.

Now that I think about it, it just seems like a watered down version of what went on in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
>>
>>17345427
Heard of both of these. I think Until Dawn was an ok game but yeah, it was a bit "watered down" like you said. I haven't digged too deep in to the Silent Hill one but it's possibly the best game out there that psychologically "profiles" you. Have to check that one out more. Any suggestions to games or articles like this?
>>
>>17345441
Honestly, in terms of psych profiling, those are the only two that come to mind.

Silent Hill is well worth the overall psychological horror, though. I haven't played Shattered Memories, but the first game is great, and I've heard even better things about the second and third.
>>
>>17337438
Something that looks like some harmless animal, like a deer, but malproportioned. Like, maybe its face is a little too long, or its legs too skinny. It's coloring is just a little off and it states at you. The noises it makes are like barking or coughing, like a dog or cat mimicking human words. Says mundane shit like "tire's flat. Help me. It broke down. Help me. Gas station, five miles. Help me. I hear something. Help me."
>>
File: twinbitch.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
twinbitch.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
silent hill have awesome scary creatures , and the bizarre desing is perfect

the first encounter with this bitch was spooky as fuck
>>
>>17337438
depends on the storyline of the game
>>
>>17345444
the way SH2's endings were chosen also worked on your personal profile. much more subtle but honestly they could not that fleshed out. i don't really liek the way shattered memories just puts this guy in front of you to ask questions. people get more scared by the obvious try to make a psychological profile to scare them than by the actual personal scares
>>
>>17337438
>Creature mimics the voice of small children, or use telepathy to mimic the voice of a loved one without even needing to hear it
>Creature can disconnect its joints to worm its way through narrow spaces
>Doesn't reproduce, rather amasses organic material and somehow replicates copies of its species from victims
>Extremely durable, but when near destroyed it will resume a smaller form and hijack a host body to accumulate more organic material
>>
File: 1453781028815.jpg (120 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1453781028815.jpg
120 KB, 960x960
>>17337438
THE scariest shit

>something inhuman
Not something obviously conceived from age old horror memes.
Something entirely foreign. Something utterly unexplainable, unknowable and nameless.

No a dark slimy thing going oogabooga in shadows is not it.
>>
>>17346016
A creature that the oldest supernatural and religious scholars cannot determine. Something that is so old and primordial that only ancient man has ever seen it.
Stemming from two human like legs grows a horrifying mass of limbs and appendages with snapping jaws and and joint less appendages.
Still extremely intelligent and cunning, can Shapes it's body to the vague outline of a human so that at night people approach it because it simply looks like a shadowy human figure.
Good enough?
>>
File: 1368141382565.jpg (22 KB, 200x227) Image search: [Google]
1368141382565.jpg
22 KB, 200x227
>Don't explain shit.
Never give the monster a backstory or a motive. Don't say it was made as a super weapon in a lab, or it's an alien from outer space, or it was summoned by a cult because satanic cults are super duper scary. At most hint at it's origins, but never actually flat out say it.

>Don't classify shit.
If anything, monsters should have fan names at best. As much as I liked the Suffering, all of the monsters had scientific and military style classifications and it takes away a lot of the scare if they seem to be biologically sound.

>If it looks like it can be a standard enemy in another game, it won't be scary enough.
Until Dawn had a neat premise, until you actually saw the Wendigos and they were just white skinned versions of the Ghouls from the Witcher. It also didn't help they even acted and attacked like RPG enemies.

>Focus on terror and not ugly.

Hard to explain, but there are a lot of monsters from non-horror games that actually caught me off guard the first time I saw time, as compared to some really fucking lame horror game monsters. The way the ogre first moves in Dragon's Dogma actually took me off guard when I first ran into one, it had this really slow and curious pace to it up until it started attacking. It didn't really help that it's beady red eyes actually blink at you. Have the monster examine your character, maybe shroud it in darkness and give it some sort of hint to it's presence, like before with the glowing eyes. Maybe have it move unnaturally, and not that generic "We want to be silent hill" jittering cat walk.
>>
File: nope.png (55 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
55 KB, 200x200
>be you
>playing fallout 3
>wandering around the wasteland looking for the charisma bobblehead
>bursts into vault 108
>crazy guy in overalls called Gary runs at you shouting "Gary!"
>you shoot him 17 times in the face with 9mm using vats, decapitating him
>"whoa wtf was that about?"
>you turn a corner
>yfw in the distance you hear... "Ohh Gaaaaary"
>>
>>17337438
ive always been creeped out by monsters that wear human skin like in "the thing".
they look human, talk like a human, even react like one. but when exposed are just methodically murdering everything near them, not out of hunger or defense, just because it enjoys it.
>>
I've always wanted a game with those Monolithic characters that people draw and animate. the big lumbering dark otherworldy and fucked up creature which isn't actively hunting you, but will simply fuck you if it finds you cause it can. Like you're an bug.
>>
>>17347134
>an bug
>>
people with several deformities
>>
>>17341165
I'm not a big horror game player, but I love the alien movies so I got this when it was on sale. Oh my freaking word is it tense. I haven't even finished it because I get so stressed out I have to play it in small increments. Just hearing the vents rattle make me tremble like a little bitch. I honestly wish you could suicide with the revolver just so I wouldn't have to have it come kill me before loading the save.
>>
>>17345401
Health mechanic is fantastic. Surprised a game hasn't done something like that honestly like a cyborg that needs special fluid or some shit
>>
>>17345973
Building off your idea
>creature spawns/repairs itself off of dead organic material
>you have to burn the bodies of everything you kill to prevent more hybrid creatures from spawning
>creature can combine multiple corpses into crazy concoctions making for mucho enemy variety cats/dogs/bears/people/other super natural shit/etc
>>
File: 1455134355276.jpg (89 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1455134355276.jpg
89 KB, 604x604
>>17346499
The Gary vault was the funniest part of the game.
>>
>>17348221
>gaaaAAARRRrrryyyyy GAAAARRRrryyyyy
>GARY!
>Gaaaaaaaaaaaaarrry
Why did fallout 4s vaults suck so much anus?
>>
I feel like that a good psychological horror game should make the player feel as mentally unsound as possible. It should feature an antagonist that does horrible things seemingly because he wants to, then, through subtle elements of the plot, imply that he's the most rational of them all. Ex: The game's antagonist is a serial killer who knocks on people's doors in the middle of the night shoots whoever answers, then goes in and kills everyone, including animals and infants. This alone would raise some red flags, but some sequences feature you controlling him, in sort of interactive cutscenes. This is a primitive idea that I have, and would like some feedback.
>>
>>17346499
>>17348221
>>17348253
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxwubsJGadA
>>
>>17344110
I did shrooms and had a friend do this. He got naked, tried flipping my car, threw chairs, ruined our 8 person tent. It was by far the most horrific experience of my life, and I think I could make a good horror story out of it
>>
File: aris-dragonis-gula.jpg (213 KB, 1920x1047) Image search: [Google]
aris-dragonis-gula.jpg
213 KB, 1920x1047
there is this guy making a horror game all by himself the models look realy promising https://www.artstation.com/artist/eleszar1
>>
>>17348193
Sounds good
But when I think of what we've said it sounds very necromorph/the thing tier.
I'm kind of imagining something that still leaves much of the host memory. Just enough so that people/scientist have sympathy for them. Here's an example.
>A little girl has been infected/converted and shes locked away in quarantine. She's freakish with decayed skin, extra appendages, and looks completely inhuman. Still enough of her mind and vocal chords remain that shes begging for help in agony. Eventually one of the scientist can't take it anymore and goes in there to sooth her. While she's still somewhat conscious in this form the creature has latent control. It takes over and mauls him, but once its done she regains control of this mutilated form. Basically there are people inside the husk of their former selves, but you can't save them once they've been mutated.

Adds a little bit more human element, to where you want to save those newly turned but you really can't.
>>
>>17337438
anything that looks remotely familiar usually works, like a humanoid, or a giant dog but with the face of prawn or something, ya know

think ds2 the bit where you walk up behind a giant pig and it turns around and its got all those eyes
>>
>>17339318
Bones are scary to you? Are you 12?
I think that looks cool as hell, not scary.
>>
Anything humanoid that brings out the Uncanny Valley.

Also, insects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymh13G8YgQE&list=PL542287AFD67E35E6&index=54

But, in my opinion, what makes anything scary, unless it's a phobia (irrational fear) is the way it's presented. The sounds it makes, its environment, its movements, etc.

It's scary having a spider showing up out of nowhere. It's scarier knowing that spider exists and that it can show up at any time.

I just think slowly building up fear and paranoia is more important than the monster itself.
>>
>>17337465

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx-is2OzAss

Funny how god damn tense dealing with the Regenerator is once you lose the safety net of "once it's dead, the area is safe."
>>
>>17344422
That has to be the best idea I heard on here yet!
>>
File: darksouls-parasite.jpg (336 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
darksouls-parasite.jpg
336 KB, 1280x720
>>17343667
>>17338037
Literally Dark Souls. Having the maggot parasite prevents you from wearing a helm and reduces the souls (experience and currency) you acquire by half. If you let it hatch, your kick attack is replaced by the maggot lunging out of the egg.
>>
>>17344422
This is actually a really promising idea.

>>17344585
The bear from Condemned 2 is one of the best parts of the game. There's actually quite a few "best parts", the ending is just so shitty that it retroactively ruins everything.

>>17344410
I fucking love subtle shit like that. It could easily be missed by the inattentive, but when you see it, it's an amazing double-take.

>>17344110
Speaking of Condemned: Criminal Origins, this sounds right up your alley.

>>17343995
Subtlety and rarity is key.

>>17338216
>>17339162
Related [spoiler]Dead Space 2[/spoiler] spoiler, the whole game save points are totally safe to use and then one of them a monster slides down into view while you're using it and jumps you.
>>
>>17343898
The enderman from minecraft do that; they are friendly as long as you dont look into their faces. If you do, their face shifts and they start screaming, and as soon as you look away they will start chasing you until you are dead. Pretty strong, pretty fast and kind of uncanny enemies. Excellent combination for a feeling of terror.

>>17337465
combine being chased in a moody ambience (and having obstacles in your way) with something like this
>>17344564
creepy, uncanny and insanity.

Add a good soundtrack, it is just as important. Disharmonic, stressfull with arhythmic loud noises.

Voilá; your recipe for "heart beats just a little over 200bpm" terror.
>>
How about a scary monster that chases you around?
>>
>>17337438
Please just dont flood it with jumpscares. Yes it's easy to get the effect but they are literally trash of trash tier horror and just annoying.
>>
File: ghost_train_suplex.gif (436 KB, 240x147) Image search: [Google]
ghost_train_suplex.gif
436 KB, 240x147
Okay, here's my idea. If someone wants to steal and produce it in some form, go right the hell ahead. I want to play it more than I want to make money from it.

>Apocalypse is currently ongoing, "zombie outbreak" style; caused by supervirus, Old Ones, Night of the Comet-style radioactive space rock, what have you
>Train conductor in the midwest United States running a fictional route from north to south, turn the train into a mobile base of operations as you and recruited/rescued individuals make a run for the sea
>Multiple stops on route to pick up key supplies/macguffins/people
>Cities procedurally generated
>Monsters procedurally generated

The big one is the procedurally-generated monsters. Video game monsters can be scary until you figure out what they look like and their AI patterns, so what if the game randomly selected AI behaviors and kitbashed monster assets together into new creatures? Sometimes you'd come across a horde of zombie rat-men, other times you'd be pursued by a small group of wolflike hunter-killers, and occasionally you'd run into fuckoff-huge tentacle monsters squirming through the city trying to catch anything living.

tl;dr Dead Rising on a Train with procedurally generated monster designs and randomly selected AI pairings to keep shit spicy. Pic only half related.
>>
>>17350134
You joke, but the reason Slender took the internet by storm was its simplicity. It pared down the gaming experience to the visceral fear response of being chased. It was permanently set to the "or flight" side of the response to stimuli, and with only cursory graphics and game mechanics, it was free to play to the strengths that make games like "tag" fun throughout human history.
>>
>>17342867
pls this
we need mystery
we want rumors and anecdotes

they are the fuel for fantasy and stories
>>
>>17343123
You like having a nutsack on your throat?
>>
File: Korean_34e2ed_876589.jpg (139 KB, 379x2117) Image search: [Google]
Korean_34e2ed_876589.jpg
139 KB, 379x2117
bump
>>
>>17343898
>>17344372
i think not being able to see something is really unnerving, so this ideas kinda cool

it reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidebehind
but in the same way that you cant see this fucker but you know its there. like hunched right over your shoulder looking at you, or on the ceiling...
>>
>>17345502
i dig this
>>
>>17350139
Look up Organ Trail. It's quite similar to what you describe in that its a 'travelling survival' game with zombies and character and vehicle management.

It's not procedurally generated, though.
>>
>>17350704
Nah, I mean each city is a playable area and you have to complete X cities to reach the coast. Something akin to the way Dungeon of the Endless does it, where each floor is a new, separate map and you have to beat ten floors to escape.
>>
>>17350710
Oh, okay. It sounds like a pretty good idea. I'd buy it.
>>
>>17343898
>SCP-096
>The Enderman
>The Weeping Angels
>The Intruder (that fucker is terrifying)
>>
>>17349987
>I think that looks cool as hell

Do you think a chicken's skeleton is cool? Are you 12?
>>
>>17349987

That would be pretty unnerving if you saw it coming at you in a dark house in real life, though.
>>
Some big skeleton-like creature with claws and eyes that shine in the dark and can jump high and climb the walls with the claws :o
>>
File: 123421412421.jpg (397 KB, 1700x1088) Image search: [Google]
123421412421.jpg
397 KB, 1700x1088
Dragons

As depicted in medieval Europe
>>
File: 1455308531241.png (264 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1455308531241.png
264 KB, 1000x1000
>>17347677
is this the birth of a new meme?
>>
Heres an idea...
A large facility or maybe a factory thats been overgrown by a plant, however, the plants themselves are like intelligent somewhat. Like they can feel or sense things around them and they all share that information, a singularity connected by their roots or something. The deeper into the facility you go, the denser the plants get.
>>
I've been thinking about making a horror game in a cave.

The creatures are humanoid, but distorted enough to be considered monstrous or scary. They are fast, but most importantly, unkillable. My thinking behind this is that in order to get a player to panic, enemies have to be able to catch you quickly and you cannot do anything to them.

Here are a few variants of the creature that I want to put in the game, please critique.

>Peekaboo: a smaller humanoid that preys on human curiosity. Every person's reaction to a noise is to investigate, so the peekaboo makes a noise behind the player. Should the player turn to find it, it will scamper to the opposite side, and make another noise. This repeats. On the player's third turn, the creature will be resting on your feet. The more you turn, the closer it gets, the harder it will be to escape.

>Statue: an extremely humanoid looking creature that is pale, skinny, and sports a giant grin. The player will first see it at a distance, in the shadows, with only the face illuminated. It will not move. Should the player move within a certain distance of it, it will turn to face you and begin to give chase.

>Stalker: the moment you enter the game, this guy spawns. He moves at a constant shuffle, and automatically begin to move towards your location. If you waste too much time, he will find you. The only indication you will get that he is near is a moan that he makes when he is in the room adjacent to the room you are in. You must hide from him. Or he'll find you.

Thoughts?
>>
>>17341053
Holy fuck, me and some friends are working on an animated series and they put me in charge of the design of some paranormal villain, according to them he had to look humanoid but still spooky and unsetting to shock the viewer in his first appearance, i took inspiration from some sources like TribeTwelve's Firebrand and SCP-106, shit like that, and ended up creating something almost identical to your pic related
>>
>>17356539
sounds like the ruins.
>>
>>17350146
To be honest that game ruined the whole Slenderman character, they could've make a much better game than that.

Turning around and seeing the fucker standing there it's fucking shit compared to anything else you can imagine, Turning around and seeing him far away, looking at the character from the woods, and then suddenly whipping out his tentacles and starting to walk on them like the Doctor Octopus at high speed towards the player would fuck me up
>>
>>17343725
More than not, people died when first first encountering one.

Real life has no respawn feature.
>>
>>17358582
Could've gone even further than that, and had you walk under him, while he's on all 4's .. like you thought they were trees at first, but as you get closer you realize they're much darker than the trees you've been seeing, and the texture is slightly off as well.. So you pass on by, and then other subtle keep happening like that, but then as you get further into its lair, things get even worse.. until finally when he does appear, it's all over.. and it's absolutely terrifying too.
>>
>>17354248
Those eyes!
>>
File: spook.png (107 KB, 1000x700) Image search: [Google]
spook.png
107 KB, 1000x700
>>17358489
Pic related is the character i drew, it went through some changes before getting this design.

Suggestions are welcome i guess
>>
The visuals of the monster are usually the least horrifying of the creature. That said, the floating woman that forces you to suicide in Crying Fear has always been extremely intimidating, but that's also due to how she moves and sounds.

but yes, the model design doesn't matter the most, but if you need to make it horrifying, design it similar to trypophobia. Holes. Lots of holes. I can't even look at those images without feeling disgusting. If the creature looks like that, people won't want to see it. You've added one layer of sensory fear to yhe factor, and can work on audio, movement, and how else interacts later.
>>
>>17359657
not everyone has trypophobia. it's better to go with more universal fears
>>
>>17337438
When is this videogame coming out nigger?

Now hear me out. This is what I wanna see. Village people style and snuff style kinds of monsters, with black leather masks, horsewhips and monster cocks yo.
>>
>>17359289
Draw bicycle next to him and a water melon to his hand.
>>
>>17359289
You drew a picture of a nigger with glowing eyes.

Congratulations.
>>
>>17359289
>Nigger in the dark smiling at you

That's pretty scary
>>
>>17337438
every one always tries to make a monster thats creepy who is going to eat you

no one every makes a creepy guy doing nasty shit that you wouldnt want to happen to you. horror doesnt have to be all lovercraftian horrors. maybe something in a nut house

like a guy with no pants running around holding his dick and he tries to touch you with it. maybe even pisses some times

or some old lady in a diaper with no shirt who scoops out shit from her diaper and throws it
>>
>>17360712
Kek.
>>
>>17359289
That's a nigger with a candle in his mouth.

Pumpkinnigger.
>>
File: ..png (284 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
..png
284 KB, 736x736
>>17337438
This always makes me feel uncomfortable.
I wish there was a creature that looks similar
>>
>>17360753
Nah I already love him like pepe.
>>
>>17360712
>some old lady in a diaper with no shirt who scoops out shit from her diaper and throws it

This happens every day in nursing homes. I doubt it scares anyone.
>>
>>17341181

I'd say Prometheus counts, because all it really does is show us one of the potential races in the universe. It was just a base for the ships that contained the weapon you're referring to.

I think Prometheus and the 1st Alien movie are on par for how mind blowing and creepy the questions they ask are.
>>
>>17359289

That's just a naked nigger boss.
(Pretty scary anyway, cos you know, disproportionate violent crime statistics.)
>>
>>17341371
5 days past reply but, generally I tend to disagree

I mean, if its done right I can see it being hella cool

But the big dude from RE6, those invincible necromorphs from Dead Space 3, and those ghost zombies in the subway in Silent Hill The Room (and all silent hills, I guess? I never played them because Im a pleb)

It was as if the devs thought "Hey, we need to get the player through this long hallway."
'Sounds kinda boring. How do we spice it up.'
"Lets add some unkillable enemies? Thats scary right?"

Theres a fear aspect of being helpless, but if you kinda suck/get lost like I do then its just frustrating

>>17359657
>I can't even look at those images without feeling disgusting

The problem with that is you'll fall into the hollywood aspect of gore/body mutilation=horror

Its off-putting sure, but is it scary? Not really.
>>
>>17360864
>>17360678
>>17360683
>>17360742
>>17360864

Thanks /x/, any suggestions to make him look less dindunuffin?
>>
nothing better than any variation of the good old vengeful ghost woman
>>
>>17339318
Is this a Jersey Demon?
>>
>>17344379
So Shoggoth
>>
>>17344410
BLACK SNOW
>>
>Essentially try to think about the things that would scare you the most.
The problem with horror enemies is that once you see it, the fear completely subsides. The more you're exposed to how it looks, the more you'll try to rationalize and humanize it, making it not a threat. Of course this is a natural instinct.

I can't really think of a way around that problem.

Maybe it's not possible for something to spark fear every single time you encounter it.
>>
File: Snoop-Dogg-bc07.jpg (46 KB, 445x552) Image search: [Google]
Snoop-Dogg-bc07.jpg
46 KB, 445x552
>>17360753
sorry but everytime i see this image it just reminds me of a white snoop dog
>>
>>17345502
this desu
>>
>>17345502
That would be hilarious.
>>
File: 1455113349518.jpg (43 KB, 640x625) Image search: [Google]
1455113349518.jpg
43 KB, 640x625
The scariest things involve the subversion of the normal or something beyond comprehension.
The reason a lot of people find serial killers terrifying is that they're not always gibbering lunatics. They're just unhinged enough in that thrill/getting their rocks off/habit means that killing is a part of their life.
It's not something normal people consider, so in a sense while I never found slasher films scary, normal people who do bad things ARE scary.

On the flipside, tall stretched inhuman-human things become scary because they're just normal enough to become recognizable but fuck with your perception.

There's that monster that looks human but has really long limbs and a weird face, forget what it is.
>>
>>17348183
>what is Metal Gear Rising
>>
File: alien isolation2.jpg (2 MB, 4000x2259) Image search: [Google]
alien isolation2.jpg
2 MB, 4000x2259
>>17348164
>I get so stressed out I have to play it in small increments.
Same here. I don't get easily stressed but i couldn't play this game more then 1-3 hours before having to take a brake.
>>
>>17358311
Very good
What does the Stalker do if you hide? Just leave? Despawn?
>>
>>17337583
pretty sure /x/ knows way more about horror than /v/ does
>>
>>17337917
Basically the l4d jockey but with different killing methods. I don't think that would work well in horror
>>
>>17338612
If it means potentially having a horror game character that's actually scary, then it's worth it
>>
>>17363194
see this >>17359289
>thinks /x/ is more knowledgeable
No.
>>
File: 1455537147071.png (133 KB, 1000x700) Image search: [Google]
1455537147071.png
133 KB, 1000x700
>>17359289
>>
File: latest.png (969 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
969 KB, 1024x768
Does anyone even take into account HOW the creature kills you?

Let's take this guy for example. How the fuck does it kill you? It doesn't even have arms.Does it just slam it's meat into my head?

just something to think about.
>>
>>17361244
Maybe a smaller mouth or teeth that don't look like they're straight out of a Colgate commercial.
Messing up his posture or just making his muscles less defined/symmetrical could help too.
>>
A shark with arms.
Crocodile with a tail like a scorpion.
>>
>>17337438
one thing that always scares me shitless in a game is when you're just walking around and all of a sudden you hear BIGASSSTOMPING coming right for you. this shit teriffies me and makes me wanna alt f4. My ennemy owuld be really big on sound design.
>>
>>17348618
well, your guy is stealing ideas it seems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0laS9R3mIw

such originality
>>
>>17363585
nevermind, he says that's where the inspiration came from
>>
File: 1454077612400.webm (2 MB, 200x360) Image search: [Google]
1454077612400.webm
2 MB, 200x360
What about the uncanny valley? Like when the villain looks almost human, but something about his face/body is not right, like Köksal baba:

-unnaturally small
-very aggressive
-moves with demonic speed
>>
Fill your game with loads of bad guys, but have 1 out of every 4 or 5 as aggressive, and even then only when not being directly observed (something like weeping angels from Dr Who) The rest of them would stand still, watching the player with expressionless faces, and would wander about when not being looked at directly. The sense of paranoia would build and build throughout the game with a musical score that would start out fairly innocuous in level one, and by level 10 would be sinister as fuck. Then level 11 no bad guys or music... just a distant ticking sound, like a giant grandfather clock as player wanders an abandoned scene.
>>
>>17340314
I disagree that original = scary. Xenomorph is the exception here, but usually the scariest shit is the most mundane, because we expect it to behave in a certain way.

For example, when the skeleton rips its way out of the old man that was sitting on a park bench minding his own business just moments before, you shit yourself more than if the skeleton comes out of the mystical portal to get you.
>>
>>17360753
Is this Charlie Manson from live freaky die freaky
>>
>>17363444
Maybe there is a proboscis or seventeen in those holes
>>
>>17343114
Fatal Frame 2 did this a lot with Mayu.
>>
trypophobia monster
>>
>>17337438
A floating, wide mouthed possesed and screeching human being being able to levitate and attack you through grabbing and biting
>>
>>17348312
Soooo, Indigo Prophecy?
>>
>>17337438
Make an enemy that can't actually be killed, and is just a vague humanoid. Every encounter with it makes it appear more and more like you, until eventually, it is indistinguishable from you.

1st encounter: default "man", no real distinguishing features, completely silent

2nd encounter: maybe different hair and eye color, facial structure's been shifted, now makes noises that can barely be recognized as human, maybe shrieks and growls that would send shivers down the players spine

3rd encounter: starts to look more like you, begins to form words and you can distinguish a very murderous intent in its "voice"

and so on, stuff like that.
>>
>>17350139
Most procedurally generated things usually wind up looking the same. Using randomly generated monsters would probably make monsters that would not work in most environments with noticeable flaws that could be easily picked out by players and exploited throughout the game.
For example: You give the randumb ability to have certain monsters jump really high. That could work on rooftops but they would probably mess up in sewers and in buildings by bumping their heads into everything.
>>
>>17358311
You should make it so you can't hide from him. That would add some real urgency to every situation.
>>
>>17361244
Put him up in the corner of the ceiling with long black hair.
A throat mouth would be pretty spooky too.
>>
We as humans fear things that are unnatural. Things we can't understand or explain and therefore could be very threatening to us. So were you to design the perfect horror character, I would say it would have to be as totally removed from humanity, but still retain some semblance of life, as physically possible.

I'm talking:
>Unpredictable movement: something that moves very jittery-like and randomly in a pattern that the human brain can't respond to. This will create a sense of helplessness. I don't know why, but a butterfly comes to mind; while aesthetically beautiful, there is something in the butterfly's erratic movement that has always disturbed me.
>Misshapenness: And no, I'm not just talking the typical elongated fingers and toes and shit, I mean full on bodily oddities (unintentional rhyme). Something that shouldn't be biologically possible, a body too skinny or malproportioned to support life.
>The features of a predator: heighten the sense of impending doom with sharp teeth and other protrusions on the body, as well as a face that shows no emotion (or conversely, a face that gleams with joy as it is about to feast on its hapless prey)
>>
>>17363631

that's a pretty horrifying webm. I've always been somewhat freaked out by pint-sized, fast, grubby little gnome things. The fact that that guy exists irl is slightly disconcerting.

Also the way he takes so long to get out of the chair, you're completely not expecting him to take off like a shot
>>
>>17365686
Really? I think that .webm is hilarious as fuck.

Like a real life version of cartoon network show.
>>
>>17339162
FFXII had those.
>>
>>17344110
That's what I found so disappointing about Dark Souls coming from Demon's Souls. Soul-starved insane soldiers are far spookier than zombie dreglings.
>>
>>17365414
apart from the features of a predator, that sounds like me
>>
Didn't some guy talk about a cave exploration game where you had a group of people and you had to solve puzzles and split up as you got further and further into the cave and eventually someone in the group would be nabbed and replaced by an AI and that AI would try to act natural and get another person somewhere secluded so they could nab someone else and replace them with an AI?
>>
>>17363490
I like that.
>>17365386
Not sure about the long black hair, but that throat mouth is pretty good, i think it could work if i removed the glowing from the eyes and teeth, basically the only way you see them is if you point a flashlight at the thing.

>>17363381
Lmao, made me kek a bit.
>>
Something that follows and watches you without doing anything else would be pretty terrifying IMO
I actually had hallucinations once, it was some kind of skinny bald humanoid with empty eyes and a huge ass smile, it would just appear from corner or behind doors. Was pretty spooped
>>
>>17363236
But they said that design was for an animated project, not a videogame.
>>
fat people
>>
>>17346499
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejvSVuelB4o
>>
What about a game that makes you feel like a regular human: For example, you can't shoot for shit, you need to sleep, and getting wounded means you can't walk or can barely breathe or something similar. Now here's the kicker with the game: It sets you in an open world, being hunted by a No Country for Old Men-esque killer. That guy was fuckin creepy, imagine playing a game where you have to actually somehow kill this guy. Only one enemy in the whole game, and he's got just as much health as you. Oh, and most NPCs are kill able and have personalities, too.

Imagine that, you check into a hotel room for the night. You have a pleasant conversation with he old woman at the desk, and she describes the tragedy about how someone was killed for their car just outside town. You go up to your room, order Chinese using up some of the 1000$ or so you're alloted at the beggining of the game. In the night, you wake up to hear footsteps that eventually stop outside your door. There's a moment of silence, and the handle jitters. You quietly slip out of the bed and then, in a silent "oh SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT" fest, unlock the window and jump out before he lock is broken in. Then you sprint to a beaten up car, and regret not buying a gun early in this run while you hide.

An enemy like that would be cool. Someone with better programming skills should make this.

I have more ideas, but due to this one being so long I won't post them.
>>
>>17368331
>but due to this one being so long I won't post them.
do it faggot
>>
>>17368331
i luv it
>>
File: 150px-Zombie_monk.jpg (8 KB, 150x220) Image search: [Google]
150px-Zombie_monk.jpg
8 KB, 150x220
The best way to brainstorm a creature is to pick an odd feature or trait and expand on it. Silent Hill games did this a lot.

conterbootin: The monster has a locked yoke on it's neck, 2 chains connected on the left and right sides. The chains connect to rails in the floor, allowing the creature to only travel in areas with those rails. Creature is blinded and the arms are bound, so it behaves like a guard dog or alarm device. It can still bite, kick, and turn around, but making it turn around more than twice may mix up the chains, disabling it temporarily.

Pic related is inspiration.
>>
>>17344422
Who can translate???
>>
>>17368554
Fine
I always liked the concept of a Grue, something that can only attack you in complete darkness. I thought it would be cool to do something similar to this: A creature that is incredibly fast, incredibly strong, but nearly unkillable.

All the creature really is is a pair of ominous, glowing white eyes, and an unsettling grin. The game would have to take place somewhere very dark, or at least have a section that's dark. Like an abandoned spaceship, underwater base (like that one,) or a castle.

Really, as long as you're in the light, you're perfectly safe. Picture this large, dark room, with a shadow cast by a wall or something covering over half of it. You character edges across the lit wall, avoiding the darkness at all costs. Suddenly, eyes and a wide smile appear on the black face of the shadow. Of course, this would instill a helplessness in the player, and an obvious sense of terror caused by things staring at you. After freezing for several seconds, you'll continue across the wall, keeping your eyes on the face, which is following you. After nearly getting to the end of the room, there is a loud, sudden shift, heard above you, and the room is plunged into darkness. You instantly sprint towards what you remember to be the direction of the exit, and finally hit the door. You swing it open, and light floods in from the other room. There is an absolutely unholy shriek, and you turn back to see a black, clawed arm briefly reach out from the edge of the shadow before sinking back in.

Or maybe no clawed, black arm. Not sure whether the monster being somewhat tangible makes it scarier or not.

More? Creativity is enjoyable.
>>
From a psychological standpoint if I wanted to really make people shit bricks a gigantic hulk sized creature with bizarre facial features and you can go any way with that from imbalances in symmetry to overexagurated sizes of things in the wrong places like an upside down face with a huge mouth on its head that devours shit whole, maybe a lack of facial features, very imposing, maybe naked, maybe diseased looking, maybe rapey themes and undertones, maybe missing teeth but the ones thst are there are huge or gnarly and fucked up, enlarged features and imbalance/disproportionate
Basically playing on what we are predisposed to perceive as goid and warping it and twisting it in a way the brain is uncomfortable with what its seeing and simply trying to make sense of it
>>
>>17369048
Also black fingernails...dirty looking, maybe foaming mouth(combined with no eyes no nose sounds scary) also again symmetry, you can also make it disturbing to look at by making its movements A-symmetrical in terms of speed, motion, the general dynamic of the movement, and maybe strength of each side of the body if that makes sense in terms of movement also elongated things like arms legs and fingers...your welcome
>>
>>17337438 How about not using the "enemy" as an enemy, but as another entity. Aren't there other things that can scare you that can not harm you, or have the role of being an enemy?
>>
>>17369075
be more specific
>>
File: maury-show-host-280x195.jpg (14 KB, 280x195) Image search: [Google]
maury-show-host-280x195.jpg
14 KB, 280x195
>>17337438
You open a door, and you're greeted by a sea of clapping buffoons, bright lights and a horribly disfigured old man holding a microphone. He approaches you, babbling to no one, and finally he stares at you before motioning to the crowd - YOU ARE THE FATHER!
>>
File: the-nightmare-sundance.jpg (976 KB, 1920x1038) Image search: [Google]
the-nightmare-sundance.jpg
976 KB, 1920x1038
Here are my thoughts. Tap into hardwired fears. Just brainstorming, but;

>spiders/snakes/creepy insects
>death/corpses/putrescence
>disfigurement
>shadow people
>demon
>confined space
>helplessness/can't fight back/paralysis
>Jump scare

Normally I hate jump scares, but hear me out. What about if you made it so that everytime you see the creature, horrific images would be superimposed over the screen quickly accompanied with horrific sounds, so that you have this creature pursuing you that you can't look at, and if you do you get a jump scare. That way you build anxiety every time you might potentially encounter it. You could have insects, snakes, or spiders spill out of a doorway before the creature comes out proper, offering the player a chance to avoid it, accompanied with spooky strings music.

I would say giant/large creature, but then you sacrifice a confined space - I think fear works better in a confined space.

So have a demonic, shadow person entity pursuing you who is preceeded by cockaroaches/spiders/spiders spilling out before it, and as it lunges awkwardly towards you, you're bombarded by psychically imprinted images of disturbing images (death, gore, etc.) along with maybe horrific sounds, demonic whispering, etc.
>>
>>17370465
>demon
that's not hardwired

good post though
>>
>>17369023
I dig it
>>
>>17370465
>I would say giant/large creature, but then you sacrifice a confined space - I think fear works better in a confined space
Then, a huge ass biomecha creature with an open box where it's belly should be, and it keeps trying to put you inside it ?
>>
All of these dumb "monster" ideas. Kek. C'mon, think about it... What is YOUR biggest fear? What is everybody's biggest fear?

You shouldn't even have to think about it.

Dying.

THAT'S what would make the perfect horror game. Only problem being.. nobody will make it.

The problem with ALL games is they're too easy and not very realistic. People say GTA 5 is realistic.

>gets shot 7 times
>"i'll have a hotdog please"
>quicksave.exe

They should make a game where... if the "monster" gets you.. that's it! You're fucked. It's gonna eat your fucking lungs. You don't lose a life or get a checkpoint, that's it. Game over. Start from the fucking beginning bro. You fucked up. It saw you motherfucker.

If they did, believe me, you would have to adapt how you play. You would be shit-scared of that monster, not because of how it looked, but because you knew the consequences if it ever caught you.
>>
>>17371308
>What is Rogue-like
>>
>>17337972
Just what I was thinking.
>>
>>17369023
Awesome
>>
>>17371308
So... Slender
>>
File: shine on you crazy diamond.png (94 KB, 1706x967) Image search: [Google]
shine on you crazy diamond.png
94 KB, 1706x967
I once had the scariest dream of my life, so I wrote it down right as I woke up.

It does sound a little weird, but bear with me

It was Jesus (for some reason I knew it was him, don't know why), with a lighthouse instead of his head.

His body is spiderlike, and he only wears the hospital robe. His limbs are long, well, his whole body is quite big, about 10 meters tall.

His lighthouse light is constantly searching for you, and when he finds you, he'll get to you in any possible way.

In my dream, I caught a peak of him, looking through my window blinds. He looked at me, I got immediately blinded from the light, and he started running/crawling into my house.

I barricaded the door, so he started stomping the roof down, pointing his light at me at all times. Somehow it could shine through walls.
I knew he was immortal, and that he would get to me, only thing I could do was delay time.

Also, if you didn't agro him (by moving, trying to look at him, making noise), you would go unnoticed.

That's about it. It was a weird fever dream, but I guess the concept of him was kinda good for a videogame or something
>>
After screwing around in ms paint. I made an idea. It's relevance in the game goes like this:
>You're asked to work at a laboratory.
>It's pretty simple, just screwing around with genes and implementing them into other animals, like glofish
>The game slowly gets more fucked.
>Weird masses of meat appear everywhere.
>The only source of freedom is the front and backdoor, the front door has a mass of meat growing on it
>You walk around the laboratory picking up weapons
>Little ant like mutants are walking around.
>There is a swarm of them in front of a cell which you gotta go through in order to find the back door.
>You need to go through the ants to find the backdoor.
>You step on one and a loud static fills the room.
>The room gets some light, enough to see, but enough to dread the player.
>You see a big tv screen break off the wall.
>Masses of flesh move around it, creating this monster (pic)
>The only way to destroy it is to use your weapon and slowly destroy the tentacle which is connected to a box.
>However it results in instant death if you get close enough because it sucks you into the box where you get gang raped by the ants
>As you destroy the tentacle the happy face gets more and more distorted
>Once the face is so distorted it is just a swarm of black and white the tentacle snaps.
>At this point the creature is vulnerable so you gotta attack the mass of meat on it
>Once you destroy it, the monster falls on the ground.
>The turns to face at you with the perfectly fine happy face
>The face turns realistic before it mumbles some gibberish
>The game is over.
>But then the title screen is distorted and the creepy ass tv screen says "Goodbye"
>The game deletes itself from your computer.

is this good or shit?
>>
Darkness
>>
>>17372543
This dream strangely symbolic to Christianity these days.
>>
>>17372564
shit

I didnt quite get the concept, maybe Im just dumb
>>
>>17348183
It really isn't that fantastic.
It's just a stand in for a medkit. SOMA does precisely this.
>>
>>17371308
Roguelikes have been doing this since 1980.
>>
Take a human and throw out the majority of that pesky cartilage.
The arms sink away from the shoulders, greatly elongated. Shoulder blades protrude visibly, skin stretched tight.
Legs straining to keep together and the femur grinds wetly in its socket. Unbalanced swaying, uneven footing and prone to collapse.
Spine swaying in a snaking S curve.
Head slumped, rotting nose, chin resting mid way down the sternum, the tip of the detached spine peaking slightly above, suggesting where it should be.
Chest compressed from the weight of the head, but wholely pulsing with every heart beat and movement.
And gasping, gurgling, sputtering, coughing, and choking as its lungs slowly drown.
>>
>>17358311
Have you ever seen The Descent
>>
>>17337438
An enemy that follows you, makes it's presence known but you never see it.
The enemy has very faint audiocues as to when it gets close enough to kill you but it mostly plays with you and makes you feel powerless, much like the Alien in Alien: Isolation but never visible.
>>
>>17372564
I like it, but for that to work you would need to have a long buildup
>>
I always thought it would be neat to play a video game in which progress hinged on having to do something unpleasant. Like a game that takes place in a totally safe environment but you have to put on glasses that let you see how things 'really are' to make any progress. Putting on the glasses would let you see things but things could also see and attack you. You would be free to take them off at any time but no progress could be made in the safe environment so you would have to eventually put them on.

The amount of tension would be unbearable.
>>
>>17337438

A god-like creature that's never portrayed with a character model but you'll constantly hear suggestions from the creature.

It would imply that the monsters you kill are actually other players who view you as the monster. It would constantly state that it could kill you instantly but it finds watching other monsters trying to kill you to be amusing.

It'll constantly break the fourth wall and talk directly to the player whilst also fucking with the player's character and other monsters in game just to show that it can and that it finds it funny.

Just something different and new, to be honest. It might be because I only play console but I'm tired of bullet-sponges who can instantly kill you because artificial difficulty is easier than making something scary but in reality it's just frustrating and tiresome.

The monster should fuck with the player, not their character.
>>
>>17375894
great idea
>>
>>17339162
That fucking spider crystal from ff 12
>>
>>17344024
Kinda like Soma? You heard of that game? BTW if I had the power, I'd probably create a god of my own
>>
>>17375931
the glasses could have a delay (a few seconds) for taking them on and off. if you want to take it off quickly in a dangerous situation you could throw them off your face and across the room, though itll chip the lenses and crate blonid sppgt to see and nodeq izvery weol
>>
i had this idea of a spooky ghost that flies around and says boo
>>
Robots.

But no T1000-like killer androids, something more unsettling ; what I thought about could be a game taking place in a derelict hospital (that's some OC right here), but that would have been used as a testing center for robotic assistants. The place'd look quiet, but the more you'd progress, the more devices would become activated. Moving bed on rails rushing at you, large robotic surgeon trying to slash you with a dozen of different tool. Part of the game would be you not expecting some objects to be animate, all set in a 60/70's setting.
I might draw something later on for y'all
>>
>>17371231
Sounds like a joke, but imagine if it succeeds and keeps your character in.
Then, you can't do shit for maybe 15 seconds. You just listen to your char's breathing. If it's a voiced character, maybe crying and cursing. Finally it all fades to black.
>>
>>17337438
A maiden who walks alone un the graveyards,she is extremely beautiful, wears a antique dress, she is extremely pale, when seen from afar she looks like the most pure maiden, as she comes closer you start seeing the black ooze boiling through her eyes, you try to run, but it is impossible to you it's almost as if you're lovestruck and you start walking to her , you can't control yourself , as you get closer it smells more and more like tar you can see her factions a little more, there's tar boiling through her mouth and eyes you are so close that you actually hug her, it burns so fucking much, you want to stop but your body won't obey you, you look at her eyes and kiss her, your tear become vapor as they touch her cheeks as you kiss her your innards fill with boiling tar the pain is unbelievable strong

You wake up
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.