[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Technology and Magick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10
File: 1465533058641.jpg (54 KB, 407x548) Image search: [Google]
1465533058641.jpg
54 KB, 407x548
Can anyone school me on their relation?
>>
>>17905897
I don't know what you want to know, anon.

>Any sufficiently advanced technology is akin to magic
>>
>>17905897

What do you mean by, "magick"?

>>17905901

Meh. What Clarke knew of magic wouldn't have filled a thimble.
>>
Are you asking about technomagick, or are you asking "did technology arise from magic"?
>>
I think he means how technology and magic(k) interact in real life, supposing that there is magic(k) in real life in the first place. Kind of like in the game Arcanum.
>>
>>17905897
Magick can be used to obtain knowledge about advanced technology, many famous scientists and inventors were also occultists.
>>
>>17906154
Oh, well in that case, electrons are really tiny, weigh almost nothing, and display massive amounts of spookyness...
>>
File: index.jpg (13 KB, 192x262) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13 KB, 192x262
it is written in the Scripture, when God says to the prophet Daniel...

"But thou, O Daniel, shut up the wordes, and seale the booke even to the time of the ende: many shall runne to and fro, and knowledge shall bee increased."
>>
>>17906172
In Arcanum, the existence of Magick is explained as a result of something called the Supernatural Law, which allows one to use their will to alter the universe. Since technology works in strict accordance with the Natural Law, there is obvious conflict between the two. I don't know if OP was asking about this kind of thing or not, although I guess this would be a good enough of an explanation. I don't believe the Supernatural Law exists in our reality but it is interesting to consider if anything. Also, Arcanum is great if you can look past some of the technical flaws, you should try it.
>>
>>17906191

This doesn't really say anything.
>>
>>17905897
Sure thing anon. Unified field theory is basically real. All of our magnetic fields outputted interact with this constantly. Magick is just learning to tap into those senses and exploit it. Technology fused magick would be like.... Gigantic tuning forks that use freq. Vibration to push monoliths (see pyramids, stonehenge , coral castles etc), only the frequency amplification would be triggered by someone's consciousness. Really layman's explanation here, but it is really just consciousness triggered technology that simultaneously uses nature and is in harmony with nature

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57768871e4b0a629c1a9b2c4
>>
All I know is that japanese monkey thing.
>>
File: index.jpg (16 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
16 KB, 275x183
Boole's philosophy on how to govern thought is not in actuality the laws that govern all thought

the existence of the logical paradox is of course contrary to Boole's philosophy

Jesus Christ taught me this...

>The negation of a conjunction is the disjunction of the negations.
>The negation of a disjunction is the conjunction of the negations.

the above is De Morgan's theorem (which is a bit complicated, just read through the wikipedia article)

i would say that De Morgan's theorem is not always true in every reality of humanity's existence. the foundation of Christian theology says this openly as a fundamental principle of reality

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Morgan%27s_laws
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Boole
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Laws_of_Thought
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christology
>>
>>17906222
Details?
>>
>>17906253
Macaques can some how communicate on a higher level, once the majority learn something then even geographically isolated individuals 'magically' learn it, same was demonstrated in people when a large amount of Brits were taught how to do a near impossible mental task, suddenly Australians who previously couldn't perform the task were able.
>>
>>17906218
>Magick is just learning to tap into those senses and exploit it.

kek

>>17906253
>>17906266

See Rupert Sheldrake.
>>
I always thought it meant an understanding of reality will have one wield the elements of magickal practice so well, it will be like wielding our technology.
>>
>>17906218
>huffpost link
>>
File: 1467955730888.jpg (937 KB, 752x1090) Image search: [Google]
1467955730888.jpg
937 KB, 752x1090
Although the thread is about general tech, what can you tell me about computers and stuff related to computers such as the internet?
>>
File: composite_14682567155443.jpg (105 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
composite_14682567155443.jpg
105 KB, 500x499
not at all an expert on voudou or computers - but it certainly makes for good fiction, the thought that the internet is now the equivalent of the spirit world or the astral plane. i think it was in one of charles cosimano's books that he pointed out the visual similarities between sigils/veves and circuit boards
>>
>>17906715

Count Zero.
>>
File: technomancy_by_siphen0-d9ky0y8.jpg (6 KB, 299x200) Image search: [Google]
technomancy_by_siphen0-d9ky0y8.jpg
6 KB, 299x200
>>17906728
this looks good, thank you. just discovered gibson last summer
>>
>>17906758

It's an outstanding book. Back in the day, it had a big impact on my circle of magic types.
>>
>>17906715
>the thought that the internet is now the equivalent of the spirit world or the astral plane

You're not wrong.

Let me begin by saying, I do not believe in coincidence. However, being both an occultist and Network Tech, I have noticed similarities.

FIrst, the Open Systems Interconnection model (OSI model), the concept the internet runs on per se, is comprised of 7 layers.
The first layer being the "Physical" layer.
>""So He completed them as seven firmaments in two Days, and He assigned to each heaven its duty and command. And We adorned the lower heaven with lights, and (provided it) with guard. Such is the Decree of (Him) the Exalted in Might, Full of Knowledge." -Quran 41:12
>Enoch travels through 7 heavens
>7 celestial spheres
>Et cetera

Secondly, one "medium" in which information travels over a network is "ETHER"net.
>As in the mythological aether

That's only part of the relation one can find.
>>
>>17906768
that sounds awesome
>>17906852
yes this is exactly the kind of thing that i suspected but can't possibly articulate. thank you for your perspective anon

i remember reading in a thread - must have been years ago - that many early computer users were involved in chaos magick and psionics, and that these more esoteric abilities were kind of used in fluidity with physical technology, like using 'mind powers' to erase floppy disks. psionics provided functions which hadn't been conceptualized tangibly by computers yet, and vice versa. ie, technology filled in the gaps between the internal and external worlds.

in a more philosophical bent, i guess i perceive the internet - or aethernet, whatever's more appropriate - as both a metaphorical and literal emanation of human consciousness. it is as if we have dominated the physical earth with our physical bodies for long enough, and the 'final frontier' of mankind is the evolution of our minds as well as our global identity. perhaps this includes abilities and experiences beyond our perception of ourselves as individuals.

in a more realistic sense, almost everyone on earth can contact anyone else on earth, anytime of day or night. almost any conceivable kind of information is available with a few keystrokes. these are essentially forms of telepathy and omniscience. the 'net provides the ability for humans to perceive themselves as a singular tribe, which i think reflects some basic spiritual assurances that we are all connected somehow

aside from that, i just like the idea that the birth of computers and the internet as we know and use it now was originally populated by the chats and dreams and sarcastic discourses of philosophers, subversives, and chaos magicians all fnording and hailing eris in the wires. who knows how such a mythos may affect the system as we know it now
>>
Technology is humanity attempts to create life/intelligence. So Idk where magic comes into play, but some people consider the emotional connections humans make to be magic
>>
File: SMGL_NOT_DEAD.png (16 KB, 327x192) Image search: [Google]
SMGL_NOT_DEAD.png
16 KB, 327x192
You can guess, once you start seeing parallelisms between magic and technology you enter into an "initiated mode". On the internet there is anything from technopaganism to mormon transhumanism, because is easy to think anything fits when you don't understand were it "really fits" for you.

Depending on where it fits for you you gain a sort of revelation, and insight, which is personal. It can happen everywhere, like watching The Lawnmower Man, or watching how a package manager works (http://sourcemage.org/Glossary). All which is genuinely useful, not to say fun.
>>
File: unix-magic.jpg (155 KB, 977x1488) Image search: [Google]
unix-magic.jpg
155 KB, 977x1488
>>17908578
Expanding on that, on the Unix world is very well known parallelisms, all with logical sense and real world application. Take for example the concept of daemons, a program that runs in the background (without being seen, you can say), but has influence over the resulting work, which you can see. By manipulating daemons and other artifacts you mold the world in your computer.

But what you might be asking now is "can all this have a real impact in the physical world?". How much more should computers influence our world for us to take notice of his powers? The answer, none. It is already so ubiquitous it became ignored instantly as something natural.

But is not a revelation like many on /x/ want. The real revelation here probably would be that there are powers that influence our world as to melt down nuclear reactors like kind of happened with Stuxnet. The ways to invoke these powers are with "algorithms", the encantations dones in form of source code via cryptic languages. Hard ways that is.

But there is more, because the divission between science and magic is pure bigotry from zealot minds. Once we tear down the fictitious divide we can really understand that some things in alchemy did made sense, like the quest for life expanding potions, or the now known possible transmutation of lead into gold. The spells for this require no less than years of investigation and formulation in the languages of chemical and phyical formulas.

If this make sense to you, congratulations, you have been initiated.
>>
>blatant Irregular at Magic High reference
>>
So are computer programmers wizards?
>>
>>17909170
Some are. Depends on their skill level.
>>
File: 140.jpg (26 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
140.jpg
26 KB, 300x100
>>17905897
Each are one side of the real-fake coin.
:^)
>>
>>17910520
nah senpai i'm real, but maybe u acting like i'm fake is you being fake so now you're the fake side to my real coin... hot
>>
Some people can play a game like chess and completely get destroyed by others one minute, and the next second, they become impossible to beat because someone tells them a single sentence. Though you can't write down what they learned with a simple math formula, you can tell that the best way to compute a problem about consciousness is with our own minds. One of the most powerful tools is wisdom, which is ironically what Thoth wished to give, yet, did the opposite by making humans evolve smaller brains in the long run. Wisdom is the most powerful tool and isn't really magic.

The people who are wise have a harmony around them. This harmony balances everything out. They always finish the race just on time. Those who do magic have a lack of harmony around them. It's tradition in some forms of magic to kill children in the old days, such as Molach sacrifies. The reason this was done is because when you do magic, you might create chaos all around you, but, your children create order and wisdom which destroys the magic you have.

Wisdom is the most sustainable thing in existence and God is at the end of the road to wisdom. The more eternal your choices are, the more power you have.
>>
>>17911727
what if magic is more like a tool just like technology, and if evil gets a hold of it..

guns are a real material example and there have been so many mass shootings and murders it's worrying
>>
Maybe technology just harnesses magic so the the common man can use it, kind of like an artificer uses enchanted items
>>
>>17911759
simply writing it and willing it to be... we are bumping our own life threads
>>
File: original (26).jpg (8 KB, 320x229) Image search: [Google]
original (26).jpg
8 KB, 320x229
>>17906229
Dude wut
>>
>>17911221
How many layers of irony are you on right now senpai?
>>
>>17908654
What's the next step?
>>
>>17911789
>we are bumping our own life threads
Have a bump anon.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.