[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So let's do something unconventional. A thread about native
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9
File: 1464766315311.jpg (603 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1464766315311.jpg
603 KB, 1024x1024
So let's do something unconventional. A thread about native legends that does not include skinwalkers. You know there's more then just shape changing desert spirits and samsqautches when it comes to North American indigionous spooky shit.
I have one example, from Manitoba Canada. I don't know the native word for them, but the best I can use to describe these guys is gnomes. Please don't hate on me I'm not trying to make a home thread.
>Bazillion lakes in MB
>One of them, Turtle or Turtle Rock Lake, think it's the 2nd one, has a big ol' rock in the middle of it
>These dudes aperently ride out on their own tiny birch bark canoes straight out of the rock face and steal fish from nets
>They're clothes are described as being leather hide, sounds like traditional local design, the have a pointy hat(not trolling) and they're about 2 feet tall, not sure if brown skinned but I would think so
>we have way more silver deposits in MB so they prefer offerings of silver rather then gold
That's all I've been able to scrape of this somewhat obscure local legend. Not even sure if it's Ojibwa or Cree.
>>
>>17793332
Op here, no we don't have cyborg websites in Winnipeg. Yet. I just realised my picture is actually a robot under those furs lol.
>>
>>17793338
*Wendigo
Stupid asscorrect. New tablet.
>>
>>17793332
>So let's do something unconventional. A thread about native legends that does not include skinwalkers.

That would be a welcome change of pace, especially since /x/ "skinwalkers" are not the same thing as Native American ones.
>>
My mom and I are both Native American, Mayaami specifically, and we talk about the paranormal all the time. We don't have any particular legends to share, but I could share a few of my family's experiences living on a property that was a former Shawnee settlement.
>>
>>17793370
post 'em
>>
>>17793370
I guess "conventional" ghosts could count if they have a sort of cultural relevance to indigionous life.
>>
>old hometown in northern indiana
>used to have huge miami population until most were relocated to oklahoma
>landmark known as seven pillars a few miles away from town
>apparently the place is protected by the spirits of old miami leaders
>hear stories of snakes and ghosts scaring off intruders
>>
>>17793407
another local one
>Town 30 miles north of hometown
>town has a pretty big lake
>lake formed in the 1700s
>stories from injuns about some sort of demon known as Meshekenabek living in the lake
>Meshekenabek described as looking like a serpent
>seen by both injuns and settlers
>multiple attempts to capture it are made
>only suceed in catching spoonbil catfish and buffalo carp
>stories still persist to this day
>>
>>17793382
Alright, then. I'll try to leave out the ones that involve skinwalkers, even though those were the most interesting ones.

My mother was adopted into a white family when she was very young, and her parents didn't care at all for her background. Her grandmother, however, was happy to buy ooks on the local legends and research her people for my mom's amusement when she was a child.

One day, my mother and a female friend of hers went adventuring in the woods behind her grandmother's house. They found a collection of odd things in the woods. I remember she mentioned a broken pot, some arrow heads and some bones that she suspected belonged to either a cat or a raccoon, all bunched together in a pile of dirt and rocks that it looked like someone had been digging through. Her friend thought the arrow heads were pretty, so she decided to keep one even though teenage mom advised her against it.

Over the following days, a storm of bad luck followed her friend around. Nothing too terrible - no one died or anything like that, but she kept tripping and falling, losing her homework, breaking her jewelry and she nearly got hit by cars a couple of times. My mom said her friend's luck only seemed to get worse as the days went on. Rain ruining her new clothes, falling and breaking her arm, and then shadows started following her. She would have dreams of people asking for their things back, and eventually the people in the dreams became rather demanding. Not particularly threatening, from what I heard, but it was enough to startle her friend.

The friend then came back with my mother to my mother's grandma's house and talked to the older woman about it, almost in tears. She was told to put what she took back and apologize out loud while doing so. After being told that, my mom and her friend went back to where they found the gathering of things and found them undisturbed despite the recent rain. When the girl put the things back and apologized, the eerie events stopped.
>>
>>17793446
That's pretty rad. Is it known as a malicious entity? Any specific traits that one should know about?
>>
>>17793457
even though those were the most interesting ones.
Yeah nothing against skinwalkers legends but res spoopy threads get dominated by the buggers and as somebody from not Arizona or Nevada or name a desert state, I'd like to hear some new ones.
>>
I've always been interested in the stories about kokopelli. I know it's a bit specific, but none of ya'll would happen to have anything to share would ya?
>>
>>17793474
I certainly don't want the thread to be overtaken by those crappy tales from out in the desert, either, but our skinwalkers are nothing like those you hear. Ours aren't particularly chilling, so when I try to share them, they're often overlooked anyway, so I'll stick to other tales and experiences for now.

My mother told me another story about when she had my little sister out on the trampoline behind my house. She said the little girl just stopped jumping and looked out at the field behind our place with a big goofy grin on her face. She'd said, "mommy, do you see the Indians?" and even though my mom couldn't see anything but recently tilled dirt she angered my sister with, "sure do," because the little girl was just staring so intently with this look of wonder on her face.
>>
>>17793461
only thing close to malicious that i know about was it scaring off some settlers trying to build a corn mill
>>
>>17793497
She clearly answered my sister, not angered her. My tablet is being an ass today.

My sister had all sorts of experiences that she won't talk about anymore since she had one particularly chilling event where she claimed to have seen death in mirrors every time my mother's best husband passed by one.
>>
>>17793483
Not familiar with them, where they from? Can you fill us in with what you know?
Also temporary tripfag now because OP
>>
In Latin America we have tons of well known legends and folklore (take the chupacabr as example) and others a bit more obscure or just not as famous (the whistler).

One that I found very interesting is La Llorona/La Sayona. The story is different depending of which country is telling it, but the entity/ghost is the same.

La Llorona is the ghost of a woman that cries for her dead baby, and the Sayona hates man that are cheaters, instead of crying she screams. They both would trick you as appearing as smoking hot woman's until they show their true form and kill you.

Anyways what I found interesting is that this entitie seems to appear on most cultures of different countries. Long neck lady (don't know the name) from Japan or. banshes from Ireland.
>>
My brother claimed for a long time that every night a ghoulish, transparent skeleton would come out of the woods and whoop at him. He claimed it went so far as to come to the little basement windows and chatter down at him while he was playing. I put this off as him being overimaginative, but he adamantly refused to go outside without our mother while on that property, so who knows. I never saw anything on that property that could be deemed malevolent, just shocking/surprising at most.
>>
>>17793506
>>tablet is being an ass today.
I know them feels. Stylus pen helps
>>
>>17793332
There was this place in the middle of the woods near my house (i lived on the edge of a big city). It's a large circle on the ground, which seems to be always muddy. In the middle of it there's a large rock. According to the legend, it's where Veles (a slavic version of Hades) goes back to The Underworld.
>>
File: s1.jpg (42 KB, 445x450) Image search: [Google]
s1.jpg
42 KB, 445x450
>>17793531
Every single night? Wow, that skeleton had no life AND no afterlife.
>>
Ok, so my tablet doesn't want me to tell this story because this will be my third freaking try.

I'm going to do a doodle of something my sister claimed to have seen, but wanted to give one of my own experiences first.

When I was little, I used to like walking around in the woods by myself. My dad made me carry a knife, but I never had to use it as enough people who lived near by had dogs that scared pretty much everything off. Deer were timid as hell and stray dogs and wild foxes fled at the first sign of humans.

Sometimes, though, I'd run into a man in the woods. An older guy - late forties, early fifties - with a receding hairline and the rest of his hair pulled back in a low ponytail. He always had on a red flannel, blue jeans and tan hiking boots. His skin was kind of yellowing with age. He'd ask me how school was going, show me edible mushrooms I could take home for my dad to cook, and would point out animal tracks. If I lost track of where I was, he'd take me back to the treeline at the edge of our back yard.

Not really all that weird, right? Probably just a lonely old man, or a creeper at worst.

But the thing is, not long after my dad died, I saw this man for the last time. He was walking with my (deceased) father across the neighbor's back yard toward their horse stable. No matter how many times I went into the woods after that I never saw him again.
>>
File: 1405560087310.jpg (47 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1405560087310.jpg
47 KB, 400x400
>>17793607
>feelings
>>
>>17793607
Sounds like your bushbro was an ancestor of yours. Wonder if you looked through some old assed family photos if you might find him...
>>
File: image.jpg (220 KB, 771x1249) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
220 KB, 771x1249
Hopping on my phone for a sec so it's easier to share this picture. This is a doodle of something my little sister once claimed to have seen. A man whose feet and hands were switched and he walked with his arms. I feel like it had something to do with an old legend I remember hearing about people who were unhappy in life were doomed to walk on their hands in the afterlife so their friend would look like smiles.
>>
>>17793673
It's possible, but it's not like we have things like that to look through. My mom was adopted, so we don't have a whole lot of access to biological bloodline stuff. Some, because she found some bio-senpai, but not a lot. When I talked to her about it, she said it sounded like one of our old neighbors who had died when I was a toddler.
>>
>>17793705
Bio-senpai? Wtf tablet! Bio-senpai is what that was supposed to say. Geez, that's awful.
>>
Oh, joke appears to be on me. Looks like that's a board thing. How embarrassing.
>>
Currently living on a reserve in the 306 area of Canada. Lore and modern stories from locals of small people and a huge Lake snake. The lake has 3 bottomless pits that divers tried to find in the late 60's. No bottom could be found but and underground river which leads to several other lakes around Canada and us was at some point mapped out. People always claim to have seen this huge snake but I fish the lake nearly everyday and haven't seen anything. As for little people I have seen foot prints which very well could have been a small child's but I strange parts around the lake which consists of sand.
>>
>>17793705
>>17793713
Fucking topkek on the tablet troubles. I feel your paid dude.
Yeah, I was adopted and raised white myself, never had too many opportunities to explore my own culture aside from the local Metis federation owned a hunting lodge that held community events and such. Ive reconnected with my family gut we all have severe ADHD and suck at keeping records like that. I'm not sure where Metis lands in the Turtle Island's political spectrum, we're recognised as treatise and our own "nation" but aren't a tribe and I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a Metis res because we were formed when settlers and natives had kids. When we talk about tribes Metis go by what traditions their family branch go with or who's from what res, really. Point is I kinda made this thread because I feel like I missed out on 18 years of grilling elders for spooky stories.
>>
>>17793332
Little people. ..hobbit sized ..live near rivers and lakes...can be helpful or malicious depending on how you respect them ...also the tall man that roams the forest...he's like the devil...maliseet and migmak tales...east coast Canada
>>
>>17793758
>Turtle island was the local name for North America before colonialization btw. To avoid confusion. I just realised thats probably just the prairie Provences that term gets used.
>>
Anyway, back to the stories. I know there aren't supposed to be skinwalker stories in this thread, but these aren't the dumb fleshgait kind, so I'll keep these limited to one post.

When I was staying at my grandmother's place as a young child, I woke up to the motion sensing floodlight being on. I looked out the window to see a young man looking at trees in our side yard. I must have started him because he looked up at me and looked absolutely terrified. He simply turned into a deer and bolted off.

When I asked my mom if she'd seen any skinwalkers, instead of answering me she said, "you saw the bird man, too, huh?" She told me that she often heard someone tromping around on the roof and would go outside to see a man dancing there who, upon noticing her, would turn into a big black bird and fly off. This creeped me out a bit because I'd often heard footsteps on the roof in that house. When I pushed her for more details, she didn't want to talk about it anymore.

Last one. This one is a tiny bit creepy, but not really. One night in my teen years, my friends and I were walking the line between the fields and the forest. A huge dog was following us just inside the forest. This thing was st. Bernard big, maybe bigger. Two of my friends were getting scared, so I said we should head inside, but the last friend said we were pussies and asked for my knife. I gave it to him and led the other two friends to the house, staying behind them so I'd be the one attacked if the dog decided to. We got to the house fine, but lost sight of the friend. A few minutes later he came in, all torn up, and handed me my knife. We asked what happened, he said the dog chased him, he fell. He also said the dog didn't look right. We calmed down and a few minutes later there was a knock at the door. It was just an officer saying there was a noise complaint and asking us to keep it down, but it spooked us. One of my friends thought the officer was one of them, but I still think that's ridiculous.
>>
>>17793758
Good to know someone feels my paid, haha!

I know that feel in a way, even though I've had plenty of experiences with my mom and siblings, but they weren't always around because I was adopted by my mom's adoptive parents early in life. But, I've been reconnecting with her lately, and we have been telling each other all or our paranormal stories that happened on that property and it's been just great.
>>
>>17793780
Yeah proceed, I wasn't aware that their where skinwalkers tales not associated with the desert so I guess that's close enough to topic
>>17793762
Do the little dudes have funny hats out of curiosity?
>>
>>17793817
Those were pretty much it. Those were the interesting ones, anyway. The rest were more like "was that... maybe... nah, couldn't have been" type things that weren't too terribly interesting. There were a lot of rumors of massive dogs running around in that area for a while, but nothing ever came of it.

See, our view of a proper skinwalker is a fully human shaman who uses parts of animals to either become that animal or take on the qualities of that animal. They are said to trend evil, but are not always as such. My great grandmother used to always throw out any collections of animal teeth or bones or hides that I had amassed, even shark teeth and fox tails I bought. I guess she was paranoid about me getting into some sort of evil magic or something, but I just thought they looked cool.
>>
>>17793861
Well thanks a ton for sharing dude, the stories were both enlightening and entertaining
All I got is my personally is my gnome story right now, I need to go out camping with my birth family and try to squeeze some campfire stores out of them some time.
I did find a decent YouTube on wendigo, so I'll drop that here.
https://youtu.be/ic8cUrKfXNo
>>
Mb you guys can help me with something that happened to me when I was younger.

>grew up on Vancouver Island
>be four or so, don't have many other memories from this time but the time I'm bringing up I remember vividly
>mom wanted to get out of the city
>rent a beautiful house with a great view out in the woods in a place called Saseenos, now these days its pretty developed and I never hear anything bad happening out there but..
>back then it was basically nothing but woods and farms
>a couple shops down the main road around the basin
>newly built (in the mid 90s)
>glass walls mixed with muh local lumber etc
>everything goes okay for about the first week or so
>manage to get everything unpacked before dad flies out for business for two weeks

those two weeks were two of the worst in my life, and we moved out as soon as he was back

>first night mom rents some disney movies for me
>power goes out half way through aladdin
>start hearing noises, like animals but.. rougher?
>she tells me its probably just a cougar and were safe inside
>my bedroom has a balcony, hear scratching on the glass of the door
>hide under blankets and fall back asleep
>find legit actual scratch marks on the glass
>this balcony overlooks a cliff in the woods
>at least 30ft up
>totally enclosed

cont.
>>
>>17793903

Perhaps I should clarify that those were the last of the skinwalkers stories. I still have more about other things that my family have told me.

My adoptive mother/grandma didn't believe in a whole lot of paranormal mumbo jumbo, but she did believe in werewolves, which always kind of made me roll my eyes. Still does, actually. But she used to see the massive dogs that were rumored in the area prowling the chain link fence that surrounded our back yard some nights. She thought they were werewolves, I thought and still think that they were just unnaturally large dogs.

I'll share some more in just a few. Some of my brother's tales. They're more interesting because, unlike my mom and sister, he actually goes looking for shit.
>>
>>17793903
Also, I'd like to add that I hope you do get to go camping with them. But even if you don't, just try walking the property sometime if they'll let you. Even in the daylight, interesting things can happen. Do you have any nature reserves nearby?
>>
>>17793909
>mom calls up the RCMP and animal control in the morning and asks if there have been any dangerous animal sightings recently in the area
>nothing
>these noises continue throughout the next couple days, make mom let me sleep with her
>we both wake up to what could only be described as bloodcurdling howling coming from outside
>the big glass window that overlooks the wood in her room is covered by thick dark curtains
>were both way to scared to even consider looking out

>in the morning find a fucking dog carcass outside
>its torn up but not eaten
>call out the authorities, they clean up and tell us to call next time we hear something because its clearly dangerous
>still no explanation offered of the scratches on my balcony door
>hear nothing for a couple days
>mom decides the animal probably just moved on, we even go for a hike
>fucking mistake
>about 20 minutes out into the woods, a little past the property line hear just
>absolute nothing
>no birds, insects, dead air
>head back feeling like were being watched the entire time
>noises start again that night, dads been gone for about ten days and always says were over-reacting to nothing on the phone

cont.
>>
>>17793960
>at this point we're keeping the curtains closed constantly
>don't ever sleep in the bedrooms area of the house, stay in the living room with solid walls and the view of the basin
>mom is crying on the phone to dad in the kitchen when she thinks I'm not listening
>shes totally freaked out constantly and when I ask her about it these days she says she saw things that she kept from me
>or things that I probably repressed
>authorities never find anything when they come out, think were making it up or just city retards spooked by a raccoon

in the end by the time dad got back home, mom said either we were all leaving or she was going to take me and leave him and to this day she won't even go near that area

the fuck was it?
>>
>>17793982
Well, what is it that she said she saw? Or did she not go into detail?
>>
>>17793987
she never goes into detail about it, the only other stuff she reacts like that to is my dead sister (crib death at 5 months) so.. it must have been pretty fucked up? right?
>>
>>17793935
A few, we have two wetlands nature reserves flanking Winnipeg and my bud's place I'm crashing lives just down from the living prairie "museum," I use quotes because it's a tiny building in a huge field where they cultivate local flora an fauna. I think its a museum just as a zoning loop hole as it's in the city.
Actually The Peg has a fucking tonne of green space.
>>
>>17793996
Could be. I can't say for sure, and I don't want to try to invalidate your experiences, but keep in mind that cows can jump onto rooftops, so I wouldn't put it past a more lithe creature like a wolf to be able to do something similar. It could have been a large, rabid wolf or mountain lion or even bobcat.

Can you think of anything that may have caused an animal to want to get into your place? Had you cooked a lot of meat? Or, if you want to venture on the supernatural side of things, what do you know about the legends in the area?
>>
>>17793996
Holy fuck
I know I mentioned samsqautches in the nay list but what the hell, I've head the BC rainforest has quite a few tales, this almost sounds like something they would do. Other then that I'm drawing a blank. Somebody from BC was oh here earlier maybe they'll come back and have a second opinion.
>>
>>17794015
I was going to say couger because they take prey to high up spots but the dog was simply mangled and not eaten, that's kinda messed.
>>
>>17794015
I mean, wolves are NEVER that far south on the island. I mean NEVER. The most apex you might get is a cougar or a bear (and the bears are pretty timid, a couple thanksgivings back one smelled the turkey and came to investigate.. got scared off the second he heard us)

But back then I was a really picky eater and mom wasn't the biggest on red meat so it was more stuff like soups or pies or pizza back then, no big meat stuff etc

>>17794024
No idea honestly, there are a number of big local ghost stories I know in the city but native legends.. I'm white so the fuck do I know?
>>
>>17794024
Goddamnut I tried spelling Sasquatch and autocorrect decided to translate it into Sunnydale trailer park vernacular.
>>
>>17794004
That's excellent! Walk the woodlands either by yourself or with a couple of friends. Make sure you take some bear mace and a knife, though, and be sure to wear boots that protect your toes and ankles. A lot of my experiences are from just wandering the woods by myself or with a few friends. I was lucky enough to have a small gang that was just as in awe of nature as me, and not the type of teens who likened to deface everything.

I remember one time, a female friend and I were walking some trails in a space between our houses and not too terribly far from our school. We were just chatting quietly, looking at the things around us, completing each other's sentences because we were that close (no romance, just friends), and we both stopped and looked at this magnificent creature not too far from the trail. It's really hard to describe, and I've rationalized it in my mind as a deformed deer, but it could have been something else. It just watched us for a bit, nodded when my friend waved and kept watching us as we walked on. It had the body of a deer, but the neck of the deer looked almost like a human torso. It had no arms and no snout, just these big black eyes and antlers on its head. Should I try to draw it?
>>
>>17794038
Yeah that is what always stayed with me.. its not something an animal would do; but it wasn't killed in a way any human would kill something. Mangled is a good way to put it.

The most I know about the Native side of things is that its in Coast Salish area, specifically T'Sou-ke band.
>>
>>17794056
By all means, I'm actually going for a walk rigt now. I've been on my tablet all friggen day and this conversation makes me want to taste some fresh air anyway.
>>
>>17794039
Your skin color has nothing to do with how well you can know something. My adoptive great grandmother was as white as porcelain, but she knew a lot about Native American legend and culture just for my mother's sake. Hell, I'm half white.

But if wolves are never that far south, then you may have something interesting on your hands. Can you think of anything you may have done to piss anything off? We're there other people around the area?
>>
>>17794074
Alright, have fun. There will be a doodle and stories about my brother when you get back.
>>
File: wolf-range.png (31 KB, 199x259) Image search: [Google]
wolf-range.png
31 KB, 199x259
>>17794079
At the time no, there weren't other people around really, closest other people lived about 2km away, closer to the basin. Basically its a salt-water lake with a little passage out to the ocean and big hills/small mountains all around it. We were pretty high up relative to the other things around.

>pic related somewhat, red is wolf area, yellow is area in question

As for pissing it off.. not sure. I was pretty young so I don't know if it was something my parents might have done. It is worth mentioning again that it only happened after my dad left for the business trip, the previous week we had lived there while unpacking our stuff was totally fine.
>>
Since I'm outside right now and my drawing stuff is inside, I'll give an introduction to my little brother.

He's a little shit who is not afraid of trespassing. I've gone with him on a few of his paranormal hunting excursions, but he doesn't like having me along because I'm generally (but not always) smart enough not to go through the hole in the fence right next to a no trespassing sign. Ill start with one series of events that I was only there for the middle two parts of.

Back when this happened, my brother was living with my boyfriend and I in an apartment not too far aware from where this happened. We used to go with a friend of ours to deliver papers. We'd all go up to the hub and help our friend bag papers before we took off to deliver them. I was inside while the head guy (the one who delivered the papers) and my brother were outside smoking. They came running inside, saying they saw a blue light darting and twirling around in the sky like a confused bug for a minute before it plopped down in a cornfield nearby. As much as I wanted to go check it out, we were behind schedule, so I kept putting the papers in the trolley to take out to our friend's car, saying we'd see what was up later.

Part two coming shortly.
>>
>>17794103
Very strange! Can you describe the yowling in more detail?
>>
>>17794137
Guttural, deep, but with a range. Imagine a pissed off bobcat crossed with a bull crocodile. It wasn't just any one sound or type of sound, it could make various noises.

The night the dog died was the strangest and most varied, almost as if it was taunting us.
>>
>>17793483
>>17793522
>>17793483
Kokopelli is a native american god, spreads seeds from his shell back and plays a flute type instrument. Not really a paranormal entity that people encounter. He was a fertility god or something, no one has ever encountered "a kokopelli". He is one thing, one god of many, it would be like someone claiming to encounter Thor.
>>
>>17794130
Now, this part I was there for.

We were driving by that cornfield on our way back to town to deliver papers a few days later. I had forgotten about their experience because I wasn't there, but as we were driving by, something blue shot out of the cornfield. Once again we couldn't stop to investigate because we were behind schedule.

Part three

We finished early one night just so we could go back to that cornfield and check it out. Our friend turned off his lights and went down the path between two plots and we got out. We took a long walk around the edges of the fields, just exploring. There were very obviously dogs of some kind following us. We went out into a muddy field behind the corn and saw pawprints, markings like something being dragged and what looked like giant raccoon prints. (Giant animals were kind of a theme around where I lived). I should have taken pictures, but my dumbass didn't think to. We got the distinct feeling of being followed and we kept catching glimpses of what appeared to be a person out of the corners of our eyes. There were plenty of shrubbery and corn and other things around the area that anything (though most likely in our case, an irritated land owner) could have hid behind to watch us. We explored a little more, but the dogs in the corn were making increasingly more aggressive sounds as we went further back on the property.

We wound up getting chased out of there by dogs that we didn't once actually see, but the warning noises drove us back to the car.

Last part to this story in just a moment.
>>
>>17794165
Sounds like it was trying to draw you two out of the house. Geezus.
>>
>>17794185
The final part of this story is just my brother's tale, what happened when he went back with the other guys, so I can't validate any of this.

He said they went even further back, ignoring the dogs. They found a quarry of some sort with equipment all around it, the paw prints leading all the way up to it, and down in where they didn't go. He said the three of them crouched low and just watched, seeing a man sitting in one of the machines (at about 2 AM, mind) smoking a cigarette. He said the man kept smoking the whole time they watched, which was a good twenty-five minutes or so. He also said they found the source of the blue light, but to this day can not explain what it was. They said they saw it as they were hiding from the smoking man, that it was just a soft blue glow about the size of a human head that hovered on the other side of the quarry.

When it vanished, they snuck around to where it looked like it went and found a skinny little path leading into a dense patch of trees. Both my brother and the other Native boy in the group started to feel super uneasy, even though their other friend wanted to go into the woods. They talked him out of it, snuck back to the corn so the smoking man wouldn't see them and wound up getting chased out by the dogs agian, then came home and told me all of that.

Sorry it wasn't quite related to Native American lore, but this did take place on the old Shawnee settlement, and my brother is half Mayaami. The other Native boy was half Cherokee, half African-American, but I don't know what that has to do with anything, so I'm just talking out of my ass at this point.
>>
>>17794190
Idk about that, I don't even know if whatever "it" was, was /x/ related or just some ill/old animal acting weird.

I just wanted to see if anyone in this kind thread might have ideas.
>>
>>17793713
>>17793717
Kek!

>>17794047
God damn it Randy!
>>
File: image.jpg (242 KB, 904x1240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
242 KB, 904x1240
This is a doodle of the deer thing I mentioned earlier. Could have just been a massive, deformed deer that my mind overlaid human characteristics on, but Iunno.
>>
File: old shuck.jpg (31 KB, 318x237) Image search: [Google]
old shuck.jpg
31 KB, 318x237
Northern Nova here, I have a legend about this dog called old shuck.

Now Old Shuck is called by the Mi'kmaq around here the "Magtawe'g imu'j" Or black dog in english, The Magtawe is known to be a sort of giant black dog that roams around the forest with blood red eyes and teeth sharper than steel. I will now tell the legend.

The membertou nation was a prosperous area in Cape Breton which had a shit ton of fish and wood, Now the people we're very very greedy and collected all the wampum from anyone who disagreed with the elders. The elders had all the entertainment and riches they wanted while anyone foolish to ask for any was driven into poverty.
Now the great god of hunt was angry that all of his forests were being destroyed for these men so he struck an anvil and smote a beast that would never be killed and flesh that could heal from anything. So the bravest warriors tried to kill the beast but failed. ANd the beast drew a warpath to the elders.
>>
So the Old Shuck continued to kill any greedy souls on Cape Breton, It provided its flesh as food for the hungry, It would help hunt deer and game for the elderly and weak.

Nowadays its seen as an omen of death. Casually appearing on the deathbed of company owners and thieves. Ever watching , Ever living.

I personally saw the beast as a child in my backyard. Looking at me with the red eyes. It circled and watched me, Trying to read me. Trying to figure out whether I would be the next target. I was seven years old.I was not killed of course. But I still believe he had reason to doubt.
>>
My mom grew up on a reserve, she got out of there as soon as she could and never went back, she's only taken me and my siblings out for feasts/funerals after my grandparent passed away. There's a main road that is very dark, the houses along it are in the bush so it's black. This didn't stop them from walking and she remembers walking with her cousin one night and having done this many times, they walked to the store. She said that it was pitch black, they could only see the light at the end of the road. She suddenly felt terror, as they realized there was something walking beside her, she could hear the gravel being kicked up beside her. Her cousin asked if she seen it, and she quickly told her not to look and as they sped up and slowed down they could still hear it, keeping up the pace with them. When they got close enough to the store, they both ran and were so hysterical that they were picked up. She said as soon as the light hit the road it stopped. They also have stories of little people, th elders always put out food every night for them. My grandfather was a drunk after the war and swore that they would harass him. Said one went as far as standing on his chest and slapped him when he woke. I also remember my mom taking us to a beach on reserve- being kids we played in the bushes and I could have sworn that we came to a small clearing and all around us the thick bush had a bunch of little elf like ornaments hanging from the branches as you would see on a Christmas tree.
>>
>>17793332
One day I will call estakvnkya and he will grant me the storm
>>
File: w8167.jpg (354 KB, 1440x952) Image search: [Google]
w8167.jpg
354 KB, 1440x952
>>17794308
or it could just be that youre a roleplaying faggot whos making shit up and talking smack online.
>>
>>17794509
Also, they all had different expressions. i Dont know why I they were there, only one of my cousins can remember that specific incident, as our siblings are younger than us. We told our parents but they didn't believe us. Than we told our grandfather and he said that his own daughter seen what we did when she was young but she went further and took one home. End said it was ugly, he put it up in the closet and never seen it again, this is the same grandparent who said he was slapped by a little person. Maybe his daughter brought one home, where it stayed all these years. Said house is now condemned, boarded up.
>>
Newfag here and I was just bored as fuck decided to post my story when I was younger my grandfather told me stories of a creature that walked through the woods he didn't tell me what all he told me was it was a evil spirit that would hunt down anyone that desecrated graves he called it the neach gleidhidh Nam marbh in Scottish Gaelic or guardian of the dead in English
>>
* he didn't tell me much but he did tell me this
>>
In my reserve they bury people strangely. They dig the hole, put the casket in a box & nail it shut. But instead of burying it, they lay long thick logs across the open hole and than put the deceased ones blankets over, after this they put four big rocks on the four corners and THAN they put all the dirt on top of it. Leaving a mound, and you can't go the gravesite unless it here is a funeral, and to get to it you MUST go in a truck as its deep in the bushes with a steep incline up. It's very eerie, you climb the hills with thick bush around you and suddenly come to a huge clearing. Also, no graves are marked. I used to wonder why they buried them where they did because this clearing is huge. It was like they would put them in the middle of it. When I got older I realized that eventually, the dirt on top the graves would cave in and the ground would go back to being somewhat level and grass would eventually come back and there would be no trace of the grave being there. I always thought that would be the perfect place to hide a body, which is kind of morbid but I'm positive they would never be found as I can't even find my own relatives graves.
>>
File: SpearFinger.jpg (264 KB, 490x642) Image search: [Google]
SpearFinger.jpg
264 KB, 490x642
>>17793332
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spearfinger

Spearfinger is a Cherokee mythological figure that I've always been fascinated with. She was a stone witch with a long spear-like finger made of obsidian. She loved to eat the liver of children, and would disguise herself as an elderly grandmother, and lure children out into the woods. There she would use her spear-finger to dig-out their liver, and leave them to die. Her mouth is permanently stained with blood, due to all the livers she's eaten over the centuries.

Mooney's "History, Myths, and Sacred Formulas of the Cherokee" is the best written source on her legend--on most traditional Cherokee history, culture and religion actually. It was originally a government report written for the US Department of Ethnology, so it's is a bit difficult to read. It's more of a scholarly work than something meant for the mass market, and so it's really dry. It's still highly worth reading though, as much of what is contained within it would otherwise be lost. Modern Cherokees actually view it as a trusted source, and frequently turn to it. Nearly any other book you'll find on Cherokee folk religion will either be heavily derived from Mooney, complete New Age bullshit, or a combination of the two.

He spent time living amonst other tribes as well, particularly the Plains Tribes, and he managed to document and record a substantial bit of information on the Ghost Dance, and the cults that grew around it. The Ghost Dance was outlawed by the US Army, and that cults were brutally persecuted. To the point that it created public outrage in the East. That Mooney was able to observe and study it from the inside is a bit of a miracle, as practitioners of it were (and still are) highly secretive, for obvious reasons:

Book: https://books.google.com/books?id=h-YNAAAAIAAJ&oe=UTF-8

1894 Audio recordings: http://publicdomainreview.org/collections/james-mooneys-ghost-dance-recordings-1894/
>>
Bump for good thread city slacker here I wish I could experience some spooky stuff in a rural area with lots of lore
>>
I just realized... My dude never came back from his walk.
>>
>>17795466
Probably fell asleep.
Or he's dead.
>>
>>17793332

One of my favorite monsters of the Utah territory is the Ute's Siat. It's a clown looking monster that kidnaps members of the tribe that venture too far from camp by themselves. It primarily kidnaps and eats children. The female versions of these monsters, breastfeed kidnapped children with poisoned milk.
>>
>>17793817
No,apparently they dress in animal skins..like little mini natives
>>
RIP OP
>>
>>17794343
>Old Shuck
Probably was called that because there's a similar black dog 'spirit' in... forgot which, Scotland or Ireland that dates to pre-Christian times. They're more of a bad omen back there, and became associated with demonic stuff once Christianity rolls in.
>>
>>17796933
Aren't black dogs the bearers/bringers/guardians of death in a majority of cultures? Not bein' a smart ass, they just seem to crop up a lot.
>>
Can it be Romanian legends (eastern europe) , I know a shitload from my great grandma that lived in a village of 500 people for all her life
>>
>>17797363
Why not? Gotta kill time until OP comes back from his walk or the dead.

Go for it.
>>
>>17797304
Well most of the black dog stuff happens in Europe, with some in North America. Never heard of ominous black dogs in Southeast Asia, East Asia, South America, Oceania or Africa.
>>
>>17797882
I could have sworn I'd heard black dog legends out of Africa and South America. Huh. Looks like I have to hit up Google now.
>>
>>17797363
No, start your own thread or use the nope thread for that.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.