[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever seen one of these in person? Did it spook you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 259x194
Have you ever seen one of these in person? Did it spook you?
Why do they seem so eerie and foreboding? They are a safety measure yet I can't think of a single thing that makes me feel less safe.
>>
>>17702368
Every tuesday at 10 am and they are creepy because when they are used it is for sudden terrible emergencies like tornados hurricans air raids stuff like that
>>
Every time I'm on the computer late at night and the TV in the living room starts making that tone I run down the hall and I'm always disappointed when it's just a test. Yeah I know I'm a retard
>>
>>17702368
I have seen one real one, for a tornado warning. It wasn't too creepy because it wasn't a surprise. We all knew extremely bad weather was around, and we all knew tornadoes were likely. It is a bit creepy, but not more than knowing a tornado is on the ground somewhere near you.
>>
why are you acting like they are some rare occurrence?
they happen all the time at night.
They have eerie music and are supposed to announce when the nukes are coming thats why its scary.
But always remember, its just a test
>>
>>17702368
I live in the Midwest, we get these about once or twice a month because tornadoes during the summer. With the warm year I think we'll be hearing them a lot more often.

I like it when it's a thunderstorm warning I can sit on the porch and watch the rain, but when they announce a tornado depending on the area and if I have to work it's a different story.

I always like the videos on Youtube that do cool stuff with EBS tones like meteorites and supernatural stuff even though not a lot of it is quality. Maybe partially because I grew up with them and family was always in a rush to close windows and bring in pets when they happened.
>>
>>17702368
>Why do they seem so eerie and foreboding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fnord
>>
>>17702368
The point of them is to make you feel unsafe. It is warning you that there is danger. They are there to notify you that you may need to take action for your own well being.
>>
>>17702452
My thoughts exactly.

OP, why would you ever think they are to make you feel safe?
Personally, I've never, ever seen one in real life. Grew up in the UK and now live in Canada (West) and spent much of my life watching TV into the early hours. I think they must be mainly an American phenomenon, because you know, Americans are trained to be paranoid and fearful of anything?

I live right in the middle of the Canadian tornado alley too, so it's not like we haven't seen our fair share of shit either. We just don't worry about it eh?
>>
>>17702368
well it was recently disclosed that the CD was hopelessly under prepared for a nuclear attack. There survival strategy looked like something out of a fallout video game, minus the vaults and adding more lawlessness.

The CD basically stated there is no defense against a nuclear attack.
>>
>>17702391
I grew up at the end of the cold war so I associate them with the 3 minute warning. That's creepier.
>>
>>17702391
They really do that to you every week?
>>
>>17702505
>Americans are trained to be paranoid and fearful of anything?

presumably they're not played there because it would offend the tornados
>>
Japanese emergency system is much more relaxed. They basically play chimes over the regular broadcast and an announcer reads the information loud and clear, without scary noises.
>>
>>17702505
>>17702505
>the Canadian tornado alley
Actually that's Windsor, ON to Barrie, ON. I hear the alerts a few times a summer but I live just south of the alley so it's never for me.
>>
>>17702505
>Canadian
>eh
>>
>>17702753
Sorry, I stand corrected. I didn't know there was actually an official Canuck Tornado Alley. I was going by what I found on a few sites about Alberta and surrounding areas having the highest number of tornadoes per year.

I live in Alberta and we get quite a lot, but yeah, no warnings ever, just a lot of devastation in the sticks the next day.
>>
File: culture-of-fear.jpg (19 KB, 260x392) Image search: [Google]
culture-of-fear.jpg
19 KB, 260x392
>>17702417

Yup had same first thought re OP's post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_fear
>>
itt: sperging over loud beeps
>>
>>17702368
Not even a test, a real one. There was a tornado warning in my town a few years back. The TV just went black and it was this old vhs quality text wiggling saying to seek shelter immediately and prepare for the worst. All the while the trees and shit outside were cracking and the wind and rain were like hell. No tornado though thankfully.
My apartment was in the ghetto, so there was no point for me to hide anywhere anyway, my walls were paper thin and a tornado would have ripped it to shreds.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.