[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
intentional sleep deprivation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
File: p_spoopy.png (55 KB, 455x451) Image search: [Google]
p_spoopy.png
55 KB, 455x451
Is it true that intentional sleep deprivation can lead to a spiritual/visionary experience?

>considering attempting because I'm extremely bored.
>>
No, just stay rested. A weak mental condition is a gatewayfor bad spirits to enter.

If you want a vidionary experience do good psychedelics.
>>
>>17677598

Not to mention after 3 days without sleep will start falling asleep randomly without any intention of resting. If you avoid that: After a week your digestive system will begin shutting down. Your brain will stop manufacturing neurotransmitters. Your heart could stop, and/or you may not be able to breath without conscious effort. You might simply forget that you're trying to stay awake and go to bed. The longest anyone has ever stayed awake was just over 11 days. He needed a lot of help and monitoring.
>>
Due to the build up of ATP and other cell-byproducts in your brain, you'd experience altered consciousness. But not the fun kind. More like anxiety, microsleep, and general cognitive dysfunction. Not worth it. Buy some crayons and weed if you're bored.
>>
>>17677598
No, you'll just be miserable and ruining your health, like the other anons here have said. Don't be a fucking idiot.
>>
I once didnt sleep at all the whole night after a very, very active day and then exercised again the next morning, and by 5 o'clock pm on the day after I hadnt slept the whole night, I just sat down on a couch and almost instantly fell asleep.

Also, it felt reallt fucked up after I hadnt slept all night and it was the next morning. I realizr it was only one night, but I had been very active and was more tired than usual. I felt very frantic, and the most depersonalized I have ever been. My vision seemed almost choppy, and I couldnt focus on anything for more than a few seconds. It felt like I was dreaming honestly, nothing seemed real. But it wasnt fun at all. I just felt fucked up and anxious.

I slept for about 18 hours straight after that, legitimately didnt wake up once. I woke up feeling more refreshed than I have ever been. I was just rolling around in my blankets because it felt so good on my skin and I felt totally energized yet calm.
>>
Let me say this to you very clearly: harming your cognitions or neurochemistry is not paranormal. Brain illnesses aren't paranormal either. Ghosts, gypsy fortune telling and alien abductions can be concidered paranormal. Not sleeping for days is just a dumb, 12-year-old style idea to do something edgy and cool.
>>
>>17677598
Some native americans do them vision quest things.
>>
I sense the Soviet sleep experiment -pasta incoming.
>>
>>17678039
I will post updates in this thread if I decide to do it.
>>
>>17677598
Longest I went was skipping 3 nights of sleep, unintetionally. One night I went to a concert, another night, I got off work really late and hung out with a friend, final night I had to start working on my Astronomy final project which was due the next day. I had to drive myself to school that 4th day, and I recall quickly fading in and out of consciousness as I was driving. As far as hallucinations go, I hadn't gone so far that I was seeing crazy things, but I was seeing weird things in my peripheral vision. Things moving around, items changing position. Then I fell asleep for 18 hours when I got back home.
>>
It'll make you cranky and your vision might get a little fucked up now and then.
I don't recommend it.
>>
>>17677598
no, it just fucks up your life.

i had severe sleep deprivation (severe sleep apnea) for at least a decade. it takes a toll on your body and mind, and it only gets worse as you age.
>>
Maybe if you tried to replace your sleeping time with freewriting exercises and meditation?
>>
things of interest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Kern
>After being shot in the head by a Russian soldier and losing part of his frontal lobe, he was taken to Lemberg Hospital. After waking up at Lemberg, he never slept again.[3] Ernst Frey, professor of mental and nervous diseases at the Eötvös Loránd University, treated Kern but was unable to find a cause for this abnormality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia

i can barely stay awake 24 hours though
>>
You guys are acting like anon is looking to try Russian roulette.
>>
If you don't eat you may need less sleep. I fasted 24+12 hours and only slept 1:30 hours that night despite 4 hours of walking and some running. My legs felt restless in the morning. I crashed after the meal.
>>
File: XP7UrZy.png (39 KB, 640x462) Image search: [Google]
XP7UrZy.png
39 KB, 640x462
>>17677598
just go on a ride with the ambien walrus
or do a fuckload of dph and try not to get arrested gl tbhfam
>>
>>17678430
Ambien walrus sounds pretty cool desu.
>>
how about instead of avoiding sleep you take 10 'sleep aid' pills 50mg diphehydramine x10 = 500mg

big hallucination
>>
>>17678575
Spiders, Spiders everywhere
>>
s͗͗̌̇͋̌͌̓ͬ̈͏̴͎̝̩͓͖̳͟l̢͖̖͚̟͎̠͓͈̤͉͕̣̗̯͇̼̦̓̔ͮ̓̒ͦͯ̀̾̉̚͢͡͝e͈͓̲̲͔͛̒͗̋̄͞ë̵̸̗̩̤̖̣̘ͪ̉͐̀́p̛̺͕̘̺̙̭͇͔̺͕̩͎̱̼̯͙̋͐̆̅ͪͣ̃͒̄́ͣ̎ͬͯ̈̚͘ ̨̈ͬ̓ͥ̈́̍ͦͤ̓̈́͑ͥ͘͏̶̵͈̹͖̫̠͚̤̬̬̲̥͇̞̞̲ḑ̷̣͓͍̳̙̲̓ͣ͒ͤ̈̒̇̌̇̇̋͘͘͜ͅͅȩ̢̼̪̮̝̩̮̱͇͇̹̩̤̭̬͉̳͎̲̻̂͌ͣ̎ͬͪ̀̌͆̂̋ͪ̐́ͭ̎͂̚͜͠p̴͙̳̙͕̤̥̻̟͉̥̮̎̓̐̀ͯ̍̀̕ͅr̶͎̦̪̥̫̲̥̩̠̳͙̣̦̹͕ͦ̽̿ͩ̃̐ͫͭͣͨ̇͒̅̈̅͗͋͟͠i̶̶̳̣̝̱̳͖̟̘͓͖̣̼̫̘͉͉̪̝ͪ̅̿ͬ̒͛͊̄ͥͬ͂̂ͤ̑ͮ̓͆̕v̸̷̟͖͇̤̰͈̯͕ͧ̿ͩ̃ͫ̍̈́̆̃ͨ̋ͩ̽̇ͬͯ͜͞ą̈́̍̍̓ͯͯ̎͒̅͆҉͙͙̯̰̖̮̱̤̙͕͇͍̫̹̭ͅt̴̵͚͙͖͎̞̺ͦ̓̃̿ͥ̐͢ỉ̃̄̍̇ͤ̿ͩ̆̊͑ͭ̈́ͭͯ̚҉̡̨̹̫̗͙̠̳̩̠̞̩͚̙͝o̔ͭ͊ͣ̔ͤ̏̽͊̄̓̃͆̔ͤ̏͑͋͘҉̯̻̳̠̰̙̻̙̤̲͚̙̼̲͎ń͍̙͈̣͎̘̪̭̤̘̰͍͔̲̤̰̺͉͎ͧ̂͑̆͊ͩ͗͌͆ͭ͒͆̌̀͟͜͠ ̷̡̠̜̘̗̱̮̼͎̺̘̠̰̼̬͙̑̾̇ͮ̌̍̋ͭ̏ͮͮͦ̍s̲̳͉̞̻͉̱͎̯̓ͬ̈̋͂͑̽͒ͣ̾͋̂ͧ̌̌̊ͥ͘͢p̧ͬ̓̄̈ͥͤͧͯͩ̈́̅̿͌͐͛̆̿̚̚҉̢̮̻̻͉̪̖͕̩̤̕ḁ̶̴̵̗̤̞͚̗͔̖̲͕̖̣̭̘̤̠̩̮̄̔̌͐͐͆̈ͤ̿ͫ̈ͫ̽͗ͫ̿ͤ̆͊͝w̴̨̮̤̹̬̜̹̬͕̥̠̓̑̽ͫ̑̃n̷̡̪̥̰̗̝̼̱̮͔͉ͫ̈́ͩ̄́ͫ̋ͦͣͫͤͨͬ̒ͭ̔̉͟ ̧̛̤͖̘͔̳̖̩̯̹̺͔͙̞̄͛͋̾͋ͥ͗͢ͅa̢̢̧̛̹̱̞̝̤̹̭͍̲͖̮͓͎̪̤̣͋ͮ̑ͯͅͅͅ ̾̀ͥ͑͋̈́̏̾̎̎̀ͮ̒́̑̾̈́̈́̆͏́͏̧̞̜̦͓͓̘͢s͖̤͚̗̮̘̦͓̰͙̓̏ͦ̂ͦͣ͂̍̄ͤ̍͌ͥ̀͟͠ų̷̷̞͉̦͓̻͍̼̲̮̖̗̮̙̖̻̝̎̍̇̇́͆͊͘c̡̬͈͉̼̪͉͙̰̼̥̯ͦͬͫ̽̈̂ͪͩͯͭͧ͌͒̊̃͋͠c̛͓͎̪̼̞͍͎͇̺̲ͯ͑̃͆͛ͮ̄̃ͩ͘͡û̧̢̗̙͔̰͈̯̹̜̖̰̤̰͙ͤ̑ͫ̚ͅb̴͎̣̻̦̱͉̗̗̥̞͈̰̅̾̃̃ͬ͊͐̇ͭ͑̓̾͞u̵̯̘̣͍̤̜̳̦̝͓̪̣̥̤̹̥ͣ̎ͦ͗s͋͒͋ͦ͌̉̽̐̓ͨ͒̆ͦͯ̀͑̋ͣ͘҉̧̛̱̠͚̩̪͈̳̩̭̩̘̺̫͓̩̩̣͠?̷̴̧̝͎̜̳͕͇̠͈̺̪͍̜̝͔͍̼̰͕͒ͧ̄̓ͯ̎̐̋̄̚͘̕
>>
>>17677598
Not really. Even if it can, it can also (and more likely) lead to your brain fucking up, hallucinations etc which you can take for spiritual/visionary experience, deluding yourself. May help you with boredom but I am pretty sure that you won't find it worth it when getting there. Better to be rested and find things to enjoy than to fuck yourself up enough that your own body will start going haywire providing you with some unique experience.
>>
>>17677598

Of course.

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Russian_Sleep_Experiment
>>
File: BeastieBoysHelloNasty.jpg (35 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
BeastieBoysHelloNasty.jpg
35 KB, 300x300
>>17678430
Consider Datura.... Careful, though, cuz the line between "I can taste the meaning of life" and death is pretty damn thin...

>pic unrelated
>>
When I was in college I stayed up for 36 hours once just for the fuck of it. It was weird. I felt pretty normal and didn't hallucinate, but during the last few hours my vision would swim and words danced on paper. I would also sleep for seconds at a time. I would be taking notes and realize that the last couple words were just scribbles and i didn't remember making them. It was interesting desu senpai.
>>
File: fucknotagain.jpg (29 KB, 480x372) Image search: [Google]
fucknotagain.jpg
29 KB, 480x372
>>17678704
They come out of the strangest places....

Been down that diphenhydramine road....
>>
>>17678787
>datura
That's a really fucking retarded recommendation.
>>
when i was pledging my fraternity i had to stay up for around 40 hours without sleep. the only thing that stood out was red and white specks in the corners of my eyes. they would be moving around and such. they were like little dots of light.
>>
>>17678715
no it doesn't dummy
>>
>>17678819
>>17678787
https://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura.shtml
>>
>>17678430
>>17678787
DO NOT ADVISE PEOPLE TO DO DPH OR DATURA YOU FUCKING MORONS
I apologize for the language and capitalization but these are not drugs or shortcuts to awakening
These products are poison and will drive you crazy, you do not want to do them in your system and even if you manage to deal with the anguish and psychological stress you are very likely to hurt yourself or end up in very delicate situations because these poisons make you lose contact with reality
I almost got run over by dozens of car on dph because I was running after what I thought were faes and I ended up having my stomach pumped in the ER after ingesting datura unknowingly, flailing and fighting the nurses because I perceived them as evil entities

please abstain, there is nothing fun or enlightening with this
>>
extremely bored + extremely tired = "fuck this I'm going to bed"

Feel free to try when you're also extremely dedicated.
>>
File: 1460747706764.jpg (44 KB, 600x390) Image search: [Google]
1460747706764.jpg
44 KB, 600x390
>>17678901
Why you gotta ruin all the fun, anon?
>>
>>17677598

Yes but it's not a good trip at all.
>>
If by spiritual/visionary experience you mean heart palpitations and high blood pressure then yeh
>>
>>17677797
Is that seriously the only all nighter you've pulled?
>>
>>17677598
Not worth it, after being up for 4 days raging hard, I still feel horrible and like I want to pass out/can't form correct words randomly, ect. Even my stims don't shake that pass out feeling.
>>
for me sleep deprivation just makes me fall asleep at the keyboard.
>>
it fucks with your brain.
depressed neet here so i did it a lot just for the hell of it and at some point i think i even got addicted to it.
i didn't have any spiritual or visionary experience it was more like weed where you just feel kinda zoned out.
never attempted to push it past 2 days though.
>>
>>17678901
Why did I read that in all caps even though it wasn't ...lol
>>
>>17678430
Took two ambien with one shot of vodka one time. My friends said I did a whole bunch of shit that I don't even remember including rocking back and fourth in the fetal position talking to myself pissing all over the toilet seat and singing Johnny cash songs
>>
>>17677598
No. Let me give you the general message from a previous sleep deprivation thread:
>no sleep will fuck you up and you will experience varying degrees of audiovisual hallucinations
>you will not have any spiritual experiences and may very well permanently damage your ability to sleep, your perception of reality, or both.
>>
Slp deprivation makes me hear low frequencies like an AM radio is playing. I've learned that "silence" is not very silent. There is noise in Silence. I think ppl do hear things when things are very quiet during slp deprivation, but IDK about spiritual experiences, just enlightened and heighted awareness. I like it desu.
>>
File: 1456226493471.jpg (10 KB, 312x257) Image search: [Google]
1456226493471.jpg
10 KB, 312x257
>>17677598
Its not fun. Everything sucks the longer it goes on. All these faggots can tell you the horrible side effects. I personally notice when im staring to fall asleep standing up. Like when you're sitting down and you get that fall check thing you get when you're drifting off to sleep. When you're awake for it it just scares the shit out of you. Thats usually a good time to call it off.
For instance, im pulling a single all-nighter tonight because i generally only get a few hours of sleep. And i have a job thing tomorrow at 9. Im only doing it so i go to bed on time tomorrow
>>
>>17680091 Replying to my Comment I think..
Plus, I wouldn't recomment it. It will take days for your body to recover. Is not worth.
>>
OP reporting in.
24 hour mark.
Nothing much yet...
I'm unusually thirsty and I feel like doing some exercise, I might go out for a walk or something.
>>
>>17680092
You are describing a hypnic/hypnagogic jerk.
Pretty interesting phenomenon.
>>
>>17677598
Without Amphetamines this would be just torture.
>>
I think that everyone should intentionally deprive themselves of everything if they ever want to reach enlightenment, even if it's only to the point of gaining appreciation for what they have. Why not start with the easiest, shortest term one and go on from there. Not for the suicidally depressed!

>OXYGEN
Grab a helium tank from Walmart and fill up a very large balloon with it like a punch balloon. Take deep breaths from it and hold them in, don't take breaths of air. When you start seeing stars/experiencing tunnel vision it means you're near to losing consciousness. Push it as far as you're comfortable pushing it. If you pass out you'll just fall over and start breathing normally with no ill effects. Think about how there are people out there who can barely breathe and gain new appreciation for your young lungs and relatively pure air.
>>
>WATER
Avoid water for just 24-48 hours. Don't eat anything moist either. You can hasten your dehydration by sweating and/or drinking 100 proof+ alcohol which can also trick your brain into thinking you're drinking. Take a shower or bath even. Embrace that feeling of desperation that will begin to set in. Realize that your brain has modes it will shift into based on the balance of nutrients in your body. When the splitting headaches start setting in, drink one cup of gatorade and experience how quickly your body absorbs the hydration and immediately feels worlds better. Come to know the process by which your body becomes dehydrated and how important it is to drink enough water.
>>
Try starving yourself instead.
>>
Or you could just try meditation. It takes work, and a lot of practice. But it won't make you fel like shit.

But if you have to do the sleep deprivation shit, i'd recommend making sure you have friends know you're doing the experiment. Mostly because, you may microsleep your way into the corner of a table or something. I did. I fell asleep at my desk, and woke up after my head hit the edge of my desk.
>>
>>17680362
I've fasted before for 1 month a few years back.
It doesn't suck that bad after you get past the first week.
>>
>FOOD
This one is pretty easy but you should do it by yourself - assuming you're not a diabetic, you fat ass. When your blood sugar begins dropping you will start feeling it by becoming irritable like those Snickers commercials. Shit will piss you off but you'll also be a little bit more capable of doing exercise. I always tell people that a great way to start losing weight is by replacing snacks with a run around the block or some DDR. Weight loss isn't the goal of fasting (even though it can be a good start) but exercise in the beginning can hasten the process. You can actually go a really, really long time without eating so this is something that will take at least 3-5 days. You will have to power through the irritable phase and the next phase is feeling literally crazy. You will start telling yourself blatant lies as an excuse to eat something. Eventually you will get through this phase and your body and mind will enter a long-term survival mode. You will feel a sense of calmness/stillness and once this happens you can actually go quite a number of days and you might even enjoy this. People may notice something different about you but if you were a spaz before they might like you better. It won't be for at least a week without eating that you'll shift modes again and lose all your motivation. At this point it's probably okay to start eating again but your stomach will have shrunk and your blood sugar come way down so eating won't be the same experience it was - you will have to actually put effort into eating sweet/greasy foods or large quantities of foods. Maybe at least try a salad before you go back to your old bullshit.

All these exercises will help you to live mindfully which is inarguably an important step toward enlightenment.
>>
>>17680392
That's funny, I was just writing about that. What did you eat your first week back?
>>
I went 2 days without sleep with some random ass pills that were like super strong coffee, modafinil or something. and the final night when i decided to go to bed, i had bright white flashes infront of my eyes, roughly every 30 seconds, and i was paranoid as fuck about being watched and shit
>>
>>17680408
This isn't funny this is serious fucking business bro get out of here with that shit loset.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (10 KB, 136x200) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
10 KB, 136x200
>>17680449
Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke, Anon
>>
Won't be fun by any means and you'll become more bored. Hallucinations from delirium are nothing like psychedelics. Just do drugs like a normal person if you want to get in special touch with yourself.
>>
>>17680091
Fun fact: that "noise" your hearing is most likely your own body making it
when it's quiet enough you're actually able to hear all your organs/blood/etc at work if you listen hard enough
>>
>>17680467
This is true. I've been delirious unintentionally and it was awful. When I came to, I realised how much of an idiot I had been, felt and still feel some awkwardness about it around friends and family, and my soul was crushed just that little bit more than it was before. On the positive side though, I did learn a few things as a result.
>>
>>17680091
Look up John Cage. In an interview about it he said he was inspired to "write" it after going into a totally sound proof silent room. So he heard a low rumbling and a high pitch whining.

When he asked one of the researchers about the noise he was told the low rumbling is your blood going round your body, and is much like when you hold a seashell to your ear and hear the sound of the sea. But the high pitch whine is the nervous system. It's like a little bit of noise from the other cables in your body.

Then I dunno a skellington popped out.
>>
>>17680648
>In an interview about it
It is 4:33 btw
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.