[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've been working on a YouTube psychological horror web-series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: hybtiys.jpg (54 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
hybtiys.jpg
54 KB, 960x540
So I've been working on a YouTube psychological horror web-series in the same vein as MH, TribeTwelve, DarkOnes00, all that good stuff. It's been in production for about four months, and we just went live a couple days ago.

We decided very firmly not to have Slenderman be the main antagonistic force, so we crafted our own creepypasta-style creature. We're trying to go with more Silent Hill-style atmosphere, while still keeping some of the canons and trends of internet found footage.

Long story short, would /x/ be interested in it? I can think of no harsher critics than 4chan, which means we would get much better feedback. But I'm also not in the business of shoving shit down people's throats.
>>
Yes we are interested, just don't shill it with dumb rp threads. Also if you don't put real work into it people are gonna mercilessly shit on it.
>>
File: hybtiysa.png (2 MB, 1336x696) Image search: [Google]
hybtiysa.png
2 MB, 1336x696
Screen cap, btw.
>>
The only RP shit going on with it is the twitter, just so the story can go on between uploads.

And if it isn't good, by all means, I accept merciless shitting. Quality control is important.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu5kqHwtAm0amq8cCxy3Jw

www.twitter.com/findingadrienne
>>
We had also decided to keep the ARG side of it to a minimum, to make it stand better on its' own.

So evidently that was a good idea? People aren't into the whole RP side of it anymore? I never was in the first place, I just liked a spooky story.
>>
>>17372103
Absolutely you should try posting your original content on the board for us to kindly review! Don't be shy over posting something that so adequately fits the board's theme like forreal. :P

I've been following a few ARG's since around 2012 and the whole premise of creating one myself has always seemed pretty enticing. What were some of the most challenging aspects of creating the ARG with your limited (I'm guessing - sorry if I'm wrong) amount of resources? Also, how many episodes in the series have you already shot successfully?

Frankly it's actually pretty beast that you'd come to /x/ to try and get some actual feedback on what you've decided to create. Good luck when dealing with any negative and hateful trolls haha. Can't wait to read your responses soon, Anon. :)
>>
>>17372135
It's not bad! I'm intrigued. They definitely seem like lelsorandom millennials, so that's realistic. Refrain from having them comment too much on what's freaky. The less you lead the audience the more they can infer for themselves. Close the comments, it completely ruins the immersion and if it doesn't take off it's just going to be people giving you advice. If it does take off it will be full of memeing fucks.
I'm definitely intrigued for what's next, I just hope you don't reveal too much too fast. Also it's very obvious that the confederate flag guy is involved somehow. I hope I'm wrong and you're more subtle than that.
>>
>>17372103
I would for sure check it out. If its good ill watch it all.
I liked MH a lot.
>>
good editing on the corrupt avi. I was pretty eerie. I like the picture quality where it's good enough that it's not off putting but is still believable as a home recording. My only fear is the tropes in the series might end up being cliche after hearing the guy scream "cmon do it!"
>>
one: 8.5 minutes 1 plot point in the last 30 seconds
two: additional 2.5 minutes to kinda expand a little (not much though) on the plot point from 1
corrupted: cool editing, shows potential for sure

overall: I I sunk 11 minutes into this and not sure why I should keep watching.
since MH is the obvious 'go-to' for this, they had introduced slenderman stalking the protagonist by 2:30 into the series. You gotta give me something to sink my teeth into.
>>
>>17372103
Just wanted to say that I'm really interested to see how this pans out. I'm definitely intrigued with what you've got so far. No advice or anything, just wanted to say good luck and I'm looking forward to see what comes next.
>>
>>17372103
motherfucking hipster trash
>>
>>17373893
Motherfucking shitposters
>>
Holy butts! This thread didn't die out instantly! Guys, thanks so much, lemme try to address everyone!

>>17373757
Well, it actually just sort of fell into place. I record music for a living, so audio editing was already in my forte. I also have tried my hand at several YouTube channels, so I already had a good grasp on editing. The challenging part was honestly coordinating as many characters as we have in the series. It hasn't shown it yet, but we have a cast of about 15, not including extras, and it was super difficult to get everyone together when we needed them. This meant a LOT of our stuff was shot out of order. Because of this, you may notice each character only wears ONE very neutral outfit the entire series. That's so we didn't have to worry as much about continuity, since we actually shot WILDLY out of order.

So far, I have the footage for almost fifteen episodes, have edited together eight, and of those eight I have fully rendered and finished five. We always keep a backlog of five, so that means as I publish an episode, I edit and render one five episodes down the line. Just in case someone gets sick, or the unimaginable happens.

It's been SO very fun, and I highly encourage trying your hand at it!

>>17373792

The idea was very much to have the two leads be...more or less what you said, ha! After an upcoming episode, a lot drastically changes, which alters that attitude to one a little more bearable, though. In fact, I had planned on disabling comments as part of a plot point, but I think you may be right, and I think I may have to disable them sooner rather than later.

>>17373825
During the writing process, we definitely selected a few tropes we did indeed want to follow. Originally, we wanted to go completely off the deep end and use every other series as a guide on how not to do ours, but we sort of compromised on that.
>>
>>17373848
Disregard this faggot. Slow and subtle works.
It's not a race to reveal. You want a slow burn with as many hints that don't mean anything as possible.
Compare it to an hollywood actress doing a nude scene. If you come straight out of the gate, no one gives a shit. If you wait too long, no one cares any more. If your entire premise is showing the goods every episode, it's lame. If you string people along and tease them until you've got every one ready and waiting and you release it when you're in your prime and at the top of your game, it has the most effect. This isn't Blair witch, you have way more than two hours to work with. Use them. Pace yourself. Good luck.
>>
>>17373848
You know, it's funny, that's been the subject of a lot of debate. We actually all had a meeting earlier today where we lamented that we, in fact, introduced the subject TOO quickly. I knew I wanted it to start off fairly boring and get intense VERY quickly, but I had wondered if it truly has come off the way I intended it. I've now heard both sides of the argument, and that will give me a lot of ideas for how to set the pacing in the future. Our design sheet says boldly at the top "Something important every episode, NO FILLER." For that reason, I chose to post the corrupted episode REALLY early on. Though, I suppose you're right, it could have been even sooner!

>>17373863
Hey, I appreciate that very much! To be honest, it's been a while since I've been back to /x/ but it made me nervous advertising it in this manner. So far, though, you've all been nothing but incredible.

>>17373893
You know it.
>>
>>17373952
Very solid advice, but I do think I see both sides to it. MH had a hook in the VERY first episode, and I had delayed my hook. That's why the first batch of episodes are going up so fast; the real interest is caught in the third upload. I think I could have started off a little better, but believe me when I say, the ship starts to even itself out pretty quickly from here out.
>>
It is worth it to note, we DID take a page from ARG's past, and do heavily incorporate the twitter. We felt it absolutely necessary to maintain a steady, nearly daily flow of content to keep viewer burn from happening. We didn't want anyone to think we'd forgotten them. Marblehornets DID do the twitter thing, but they also went MONTHS without posting any new stuff. So we decided we are never going to have a period of silence more than 48 hours. For that reason, a lot of the story will be written into the Twitter as well.

You guys...thank you all so much. Your critique is on point, and you couldn't be more badass folks. Thank you so much for your support, and I promise you, this project will be worth your time.
>>
So just so everyone knows, a new episode will be posted in a couple hours!
>>
i tried to watch it but theres nothing happening and i have no real interest to continue
>>
>>17375298
Understandable man. I appreciate you checking it out though!
>>
Third episode is up. This is where the lead-up is officially over, and the plot can begin.
>>
>>17372128
How do you go about making something like this?
>>
>>17375505
The entire project? Or the special effects more specifically?
>>
Guess I'm tripfagging now.

While I can't give away all my secrets on the special effects, I can say this much.

To achieve a very unique effect, it takes a little effort both in a program and outside of one. For instance, I WILL say that I use After Effects for some of the base distortion, but there is a lot of genuine distortion to the footage I do after that.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.