[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about your psychological need to believe in something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 1421491600398.jpg (63 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
1421491600398.jpg
63 KB, 750x600
How do you feel about your psychological need to believe in something greater than reality? How do you cope or how do you avoid the "need" to cope?

>tfw not alone
>>
>>17172431
There is always more to reality than what just one person believes
>>
>>17172431
If you reject that there is a higher reality in the same way they reject the lack of thereof, arent you doing the same thing? Its pointless. Each way just leads you astray senpai
>>
>>17172433
Guess it's still too early. I'll try again in 200 years.
>>17172437
>astray
From what? Before you tell me what you believe, I'd like to hear how you feel about the need to.
>>
>>17172451
I dont believe in either of the sides. I practise dosattachment, and disattachment from disattachment too.

The need to believe, the need for religion and ritual is essential. Why do people smoke? Why do people do all these little time wasting things. You either praise jesus, you praise science or meditate and believe in enlightenment. Man will never escape religion, even if he tries to, its a human thing to do.

Tldr: the inly way out is to shit on both sides of the spectrum
>>
>>17172984
>time wasting
Lack of access to any alternate world other than the dream world doesn't rob my life of all meaning. Calling something a "waste" of time only makes sense when you have a notion of a better way to spend one's time. Frankly, it's not up to you to decide if any other person's time is well spent or not. I need to believe in a greater reality, but I'm not dumb enough to spend my entire life following the idea as if it'll make my life worth living. I meant my questions in the OP pretty literally; I'm not looking for religion here.
>>
>>17173040
Do you see how religoously you protect the fact that you arent religious? You believe in not believing.

Nietzsche said it, man cannot run away from religion yet, not untill we become robots
>>
>>17172431
So according to that pic, Smeagol had a ton of character
>>
>>17173423
Damn straight he did. Guy was memorable as fuck. The Hobbit really emphasizes that aspect of the story.
>>
Bump for self-searching.
>>
Smeagol was a very important character in the story. He kept the ring from Sauron for 500 years and in the end, helped to destroy it.
>>
>>17173343
Do you see how retardedly you create circular arguments to try and justify your retarded absolute viewpoint, retard? Take your naseating habit of just deciding to call any belief or behavior at all "religion" so you can act like dipshit mcgullicutty on the internet and shove it up your ass, you cunt squirt. Your idea is a fucking stain.
>>
>>17172431
Humans can reason. Humans need faith. Therefore, I can only accept my human needs.
>>
>>17174547
>faith
Disagree. The need takes many forms, but I don't feel it actually demands faith. Faith is just a common coping mechanism that doesn't actually help with the underlying psychological need.
>>
Faith and reason are to work together,
Not against it

Op do mindfulness meditation
No need to worry about the future becose is not here
No need to worry about the past becose is gone
The present is all you really have
Your reality is in the present, not the future either the past, focus on the present moment and become free of coping or needs
>>
>>17174930
Meditation doesn't dissolve emotion, it dissolves unnecessary emotion. If you don't have an identity after meditating, you didn't meditate.
>>
with silence.
>>
>>17174858
You don't need irrational magic? You don't need to believe in things? Deconstruct it more for us then. Really atomize that shit -- please. What is "the need" which takes "many forms?"
>>
perception =/= reality
>>
>>17172984

I don't praise dick diddly.

Science is good and all, and I'm pretty okay with having a computer and the ability to live through cancer, but I certainly don't praise it.

Never been religious.

Never been spiritual, either.

'Course, I'm also generally depressed and a bum, so maybe I'm not the best example of being able to live without belief.
>>
>>17175029
See >>17172451

This isn't a question for the unaware or feint of heart that don't know the feeling well already. I can't ask an infant how it feels about calculus. True /x/philes know the feeling because it's the very reason they lurk. If you don't have it or aren't yet ready to face the question of whether or not you have it, you aren't the kind of /x/phile I'm asking the question for.

>>17175115
You're missing something in your life. I can only make an educated guess about your motives for being on /x/ today, but if you're generally depressed then something's clearly missing. I'm not gonna preach love and understanding and the value of meditation because I don't actually know if those things would help you if you were ready to face such questions about yourself. I only know they were terrible advice in my case, every time it came up.
>>
>>17172431
I don't believe that for a second. I have no belief in a greater anything nor do I ever think about it. I have no hole that needs filling (except I need a better job) and there are no questions gnawing at me. It isn't simolicity either, I have asked myself the big questions and tried various faiths. The conclusion was always the same. It's all a waste of time because I don't need the answers and I don't think anything that happens is due to some greater force. Not even luck. Life is just a long game of random dice rolls. You may hit low numbers for years. Maybe you get a good streak of high rolls. But beyond your desire to improve your own life there is nothing looking out for you or opposing you.
>>
>>17175428
>Are you prepared cuz feint of heart yada yada do you even lift

Don't roll up on me with that great and powerful Oz. self-aggrandizing doubletalk, son. I built this city on rock and roll! So if you can't into philosophy 101 then don't bother trying to debate.
>>
>>17172431
I'm pretty sure smart people are trusted a lot more than characteristic people. Basically everything we have came from trusting them.
>>
I don't have a psychological need to believe in something greater than reality. I believe that my beliefs and yours do not matter. The universe doesn't care. Now that's not to say I don't care about myself and my own beliefs (I do) but I don't delude myself into believing things that aren't true or I can't possibly confirm.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.