[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anti-Depressants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 14
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 284x378) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 284x378
Can /x/ redpill me on anti-depressants and their rise in american culture? Do you believe theyre meant to control and dumb peoples minds for conditions that don't necessarily exist?

Ive suffered from what I believe to be depression since the 7th grade. Yet i've always refused to see a doctor regarding it because taking my "daily happy pills" just feels like giving up in a sense. I cant really explain it. I also believe that life is just hard. Plain and simple and everyone feels down, some are just better at concealing it.

What do you think /x/? Doesn't it concern you how easy it is for doctors to push these medications onto people when they may not need it? Who benefits beside big pharma from this?
>>
>>17141829
weather its a big conspiracy or not the science behind the brain/depression/anti-depressants is all very young. Try taking a 5-htp supplement it has helped me alot also do your own research before taking anything.
>>
>>17141829
It's a combination of the government wanting to control the populous and it gives big pharma another way to shake you down for pills you have to buy on a regular basis.

Besides, the concept of anti-depressants is shit in and of itself. If someone hit you over the head every day, you don't take painkillers so it doesn't hurt so much, you make them fucking stop. Depression is a natural response from your body to tell you that something is wrong in the way you're living your life.
>>
>>17141891
>Depression is a natural response from your body to tell you that something is wrong in the way you're living your life

Ive never though of it like that. This gives a new perspective. So you don't believe there are chemical imbalances with some? I do agree with you on most points but for most depression is such a bitch for most because you cant determine whats causing it. Its not as simple as removing the threat of the someone hitting you like in your example
>>
>>17141829
>human animals lead increasingly complex and technologically advanced lives
>people get depressed and have shitty lives because their genetically inferior brains can't handle excess stimulus of 21st century life
>pharma companies invent pill that temporarily reduces depression and anxiety that are physiologically addicting
>???
>profit!
>>
>>17141983
I'm not saying it's impossible for depression to occur naturally, but it's definitely on the rise due to how we're living in modern society. Your body is constantly producing/reacting to chemicals based on your environment, actions, what you put in it, etc. It really seems like this chemical "imbalance" that causes depression is just yet another reaction due to these types of factors.

I really doubt it's any one single factor that causes people to become depressed. It's really society as a whole. Each shitty part breaks people down a little more and more. We're not meant to live like this. Animals kept in zoos get depressed because they're not in their natural environment, why would humans be any different?
>>
They're responsible for the exponential rise in autism. Mothers who smoke crack make crack babies. Mothers who drink alcohol get fetal alcohol kids. Mothers who take anti-depressants get autistic kids. Check out that study that came out recently.

Basically, that shit is poison. In my experience, the best cure for depression is living a dharmic lifestyle and meditation. Real inner peace is hard won but enduring. The short-term quick-fix is simply long-term self-destruction.
>>
>>17142023
>>17142060
Both of you are spot on.

Quick personal anecdote. Ill never forget my hike through big bend national park. Its basically a mountainous desert on the texas mexico border. Me and my best friend covered over 35 miles in 3 days through tough terrain. Our route took us over multiple 4000 ft peaks and deep valleys. The nights were cold as hell and the days were scorching but I felt so.. In control. All I had to worry about was when do we eat, do we have food, are we going the right way, how much water do I have, am I alright, is my friend alright. It almost felt like this is what we were designed to have the capacity to do and not much else. It was easy and I felt more alive than I had ever felt. My brain was off autopilot and I could actually feel it working. Nothing was overwhelming, there was no sensory overload or insomnia. Just moving and mentally checking boxes to keep my friend and I safe.

I believe to this day we were never meant to live like this. But I certainly dont know where the line is. Should we live in caves? Do we allow ourselves to be wiped out by polio and go back to shitting in our huts?
>>
>>17141829
i don't think it's that much about dumb people's minds as it is about making a shitload of money.
>>
>>17142137
Vaccines cause autism
Anti depressants cause autism

you know what causes autism? your post.
>>
>>17142138
I look at it like this...

In early human evolution we had to focus on those simple things, like you said, but as we evolved as a species and our tribes became larger and our tech got better weve had growing pains.

As our early people were as toddlers with their needs and problems, now that were older as a species were going through growing pains until we reached species "adulthood".

As above, so below.
>>
>>17142235
Sorry that struck a nerve. Refer to the recent study that made headlines last month if you wish to know more.
>>
>>17142138

I can largely agree with this. Bringing mindfulness into my job gives me extra energy after each day but its downright depressing going from work to home and playing the finance game. I think technology has been blown out of proportion in terms of its importance in our daily lives. We can integrate technology into our lives while keeping a semblance of our natural inclination toward harmony with the planet and community. This paved highway big spending society has killed our soul. Never mind any illuminati or conspiracy, the way we've let ourselves be abused in the name of supposed progress is sad and absurd.

>>17142258

What are you trying to say exactly?

>anyway yeah. Mmm, eggnog.
>>
>>17142259
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2015/12/antidepressants_in_pregnancy_probably_do_not_cause_autism.html

heres an article that shows autism is not caused by anti depressants.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 400x386
>>17142325
>people will try to refute this
>>
Ive experienced a lot of help from a combination of two antidepressants. I had unipolar like depression I could barely manage to get out of bed. My antidepressants are cheap and generic unpattented so im assuming there isnt much profit for big pharma...small pharma? I dont know if antidepressants i feel like pain medication (opiods) and antianxiety medication (benzodiazepines) are way more indicative of big pharmas plots to get you addicted to their product. Withdrawl from benzos can kill you like alcohol withdrawls.
>>
How does it feel to be depressed, anyway?

On what basis do doctors diagnose that you're depressed?
>>
>>17142185
This. This is what everything in our capitalist society is about. Don't shit yourself, OP.
>>
>>17142483
I don't know if you are saying people will try to refute me or the person I am arguing with, but the fact that you have a pepe saved to your computer is enough for me to disregard any opinion you might hold.
>>
File: 20151219_140928.jpg (2 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151219_140928.jpg
2 MB, 3984x2988
Not OP, but I've been living with depression since I was a child. If I didn't have my girlfriend and my dog, I'd probably have killed myself already.
I'm not on antidepressants. My view on them is that they're the first thing recommended by psychiatrists (as opposed to more thorough treatment) because they're a cash cow. I don't think there's anything /x/ related about them, but here's a spoopy picture I took while exploring.

>>17142658
I can't speak for the experience of others, but I generally feel sadness and self-loathing for no tangible reason. I feel that the world is purposely designed to keep me in the gutter and that the only way out of being constantly pummeled by the world is death. I've always wanted to die, and sometimes my depression gets so bad that I can't think about much else.
I hate this. There's nothing cool or romantic about it. The only things that make me happy are my girlfriend, my dog and the few hobbies I have time to pursue.
>>
File: 20151219_141355.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151219_141355.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
>>17142899
Oh, and weed. I like me some good bud. It's a very effective treatment if it's not one of a few heavy indicas, but it's not a cure.
>>
>>17142899
>I feel that the world is purposely designed to keep me in the gutter

I have absolutely no intention of being mean here, but isn't that sort of a fucking selfish thought? I mean, maybe it's even sadder to think that, in a universal scale, we're all meaningless; but that's, y'know, the truth.
>>
>>17142918
Sure, but depression is an illness, and these aren't thoughts I want to have.
>>
File: 1401086234000.png (290 KB, 469x468) Image search: [Google]
1401086234000.png
290 KB, 469x468
>>17142658
I feel exactly now the way I did back then when things were horrible, and it makes me feel like things are never going to get better, and I feel exhausted and lethargic and I just want to fucking die and my dog is so needy and irritating it's driving me nuts
>>
>>17141891
bs sometimes like in my case you were born with something wrong
>>
>>17142899
So, how did you get the diagnosis?
>>
>>17142938
>>17141891
>Depression is a natural response from your body to tell you that something is wrong in the way you're living your life.

I feel that maybe there might be truth to both of these statements. I'm certainly not living the life I want to life, but I don't know what I would or possibly could do. I feel out of place, like I don't belong anywhere...that there's no place for me in the world and that I should just die.
>>
>>17142924
I can understand that; still, wouldn't being rational about it somehow mitigate the symptoms? Like, I often have bad thoughts about people, such as thinking they secretly hate me or make fun of me for stuff that happened years ago or something; then I just tell myself most people couldn't care less about my existence, and that makes me feel better :3
>>
File: 20151219_143433.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151219_143433.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
>>17142955
Forgot picture

>>17142948
I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist.
>>
File: 20151219_144303.jpg (2 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151219_144303.jpg
2 MB, 3984x2988
>>17142964
I'm taking behavioral cognitive therapy with a social worker, which teaches one the skills to fight depression, especially mindfulness and meditation...sure as fuck isn't a cure, but it helps.
>>
>>17142938
How sure are you that it's something you were born with? Unless you were diagnosed as an infant, I really doubt it. I hate how people say "that's just the way I was born" whenever they have a problem these days and never stop to think that maybe something could have been fucked up when you were just too young to remember or possibly have repressed memories you choose not to remember.
Not to mention that modern society fucks with everyone's heads, especially when we're impressionable children.
>>17142955
The world is a pretty big place, anon. Even well-traveled individuals hardly scratch the surface of it. Are you sure you're not just considering the possibilities of how you'll fit into society's system of slavery? There's more to life than just going to school, finding a job, having kids/wife/house, etc.
>>
File: 20151219_141124.jpg (2 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151219_141124.jpg
2 MB, 3984x2988
>>17143010
I guess that's what I've been doing. I know it's a system of slavery and I know it's bullshit. I need to get myself into a better frame of mind, but I don't know how or what that might be.
My depression was so bad at one point that I couldn't be bothered to get out of bed. I ultimately ended up dropping out if high school . I recently got my GED (just barely), and I guess I'm happy about that, but I still need a better job. Hardly /x/ related, I know, but that's my life.
>>
>>17141891
>Depression is a natural response from your body to tell you that something is wrong in the way you're living your life

First of all, forgive me my bad English.

Due to chemical imbalance in your brain you can suffer from clinical depression even if your life is perfect. Brain is not 'soul', it's an organ that can get sick, like liver or heart. That's why doctors and psychotherapists suggest combination of both, psychotherapy and pharmacology when dealing with clinical depression.

BTW don't compare clinical depression with 'I'm sad because my dog died/my gf broke up with me". Sadness is normal when bad things happen. Depression is patological state, when you can't enjoy life, even good aspects of it are not rewarding.

>>17142981
>I'm taking behavioral cognitive therapy

IMHO it's best kind of therapy.
>>
So, the drug treatment, they work like diabetes and hypertension drugs?
You need to take them forever?
>>
File: image.jpg (676 KB, 2480x3229) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
676 KB, 2480x3229
>>17142658
A questionaire like this is used to diagnosis depression.

As for me, depression feels like having one too many blankets on you when youve just gotten comfortable in bed and you dont want to move to take them off. Depression has a wierd way of warping and joining with you. You can no longer tell bad days from good ones. Every day is a monotonous slide show where you float from scene to scene with seemingly no control. Depression is also insidious in how it "binds" to you. Part of you actually feels comforted by it. You justify that it helps to keep you safe and out of trouble. You begin to think its the reason for any success youve ever had. Youre warped way of thinking becomes your compass. It encompasses all you are
>>
>>17143131
I wonder how objective are the doctors behind those questionnaire tests seeing that they are financed by drug companies like Pfizer.
>>
>>17143047
I was absolutely miserable ever since I was a little kid. I thought I hated fucking everything and just stopped caring about anything, just waiting to die. Turns out I just hated everything society was inundating me with. You need to basically question every little thing you do and see if it's something you legitimately like or just do because you were trained by society to do it. If it's the latter, there's a good chance it's one of the many factors causing your depression. Make sure to eat right, meditate, exercise, don't stew in negative thoughts and force yourself to think about anything else if it's not something that's legitimately productive, get enough sleep (8 hours is not enough and you should take naps like pretty much every other animal), and just try your best to take care of your mind/body/soul.
>>17143061
>you can suffer from clinical depression even if your life is perfect
Obviously your life isn't perfect, then. A good job, wife, kids, money, etc doesn't make someone's life perfect or even good for that matter. Look at all the rich celebrities offing themselves. Hedonism is a high with one hell of a crash.

Your brain creates the chemical imbalance that makes you feel that way when you're not living a good life just like it creates pain when your body isn't in good shape.

Obviously your brain can get sick. You know what are some of the best ways to prevent that? Feed it good nutrition (our modern diet is shit), give it plenty of rest (we're constantly on the move, slaving away), don't give it sensory overload (lights and noise are constant 24/7 these days), stimulate it (modern entertainment involves "turning your brain off" to enjoy it), and basically live a life in any manner that isn't conventional to the shit we've been forced into that's killing us from the inside.

I had longer responses, but I hit backspace and lost them when the page went back in my history, so I had to rewrite the gist of them.
>>
File: file.png (51 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
file.png
51 KB, 150x150
>>17143074
Yes, it's a treatment, not a cure.
>>
>>17143131
I remember that questionnaire, though mine was just slightly different.

>>17143159
Thanks anon, I'll do that.
>>
>>17143131
I got a high score off that, scoring 3 in almost all statements, should I see somebody or what?
>>
>>17143204
20 and above is classified as severe depression based on the scoring system of that particular questionaire
>>
>>17141829
Went thru a great deal with depression and anxiety for a few years and had a hard time taking any mediction for it due my anxiety usually manifests itself in uncontrollable nausea and vomiting which is a main side effect of basically any starting period on mediction and even after getting over that it was, wtf is this really doing to my body long term exposure wise, like k 'don't get pregnant while taking this' what's it doing to me? They don't even know why most of the meds work, they just have an effect, but not alot of long term data. I was able to take a mindfulness meditation class covered by insurance and it was the bomb. It taught me how to control my mind and I couldn't have even imagined it or imagined wanting to have 'to thought-control my mind' and whatnot but it kicks ass, feels just like working out a muscle and helped me w/ lucid dreaming and stuff, so would recommend if you have the option.
>>
>>17143214
It's true that I have those feelings almost every day especially when I'm alone, but I'm pretty hyper sometimes, hard to see myself as severely depressed.
>>
>>17143149
>developed by Drs Robert L. Spitzer

Oh shiit. Didnt even realize it
>>
File: tankian-1.jpg (58 KB, 688x849) Image search: [Google]
tankian-1.jpg
58 KB, 688x849
>>17141829
ANTI DEPRESSANTS
CONTROLLING TOOLS OF YOUR SYSTEM
MAKING LIFE MORE TOLERABLE
MAKING LIFE MORE TOLERABLE
>>
>>17143253
Thought the same thing but it ended up being anxiety. I thought I couldn't be depressed, I never sleep and I clean and the fucking time, like crackhead level. Yeah, anxiety.
>>
sometimes they make more suicidal specially if I have to wait or miss my dose
>>
>>17141891
what about people like Robin Williams though? (successful manic-depressive) Or those who have lost loved ones?

that's a neat way of looking at it but it's overly simplistic... Depression isn't always there because somebody dun goofed
>>
>>17142658
The worst symptom I can think of is how it makes you numb. You just don't care about the negative things in life enough to change them and you don't find pleasure in the positive thing so you don't seek to do them.
>>
Clinical depression runs in my family. Both of my parents though undiagnosed clearly suffered from it but they were very opposed to being diagnosed with any sort of psychological issue, being put on lists you know?

So yeah I have it too but it's easy for me to keep under control with very small amounts of marijuana, like $20-$30 worth a month. I just wish it would be legalized in my state while my mom's still alive to also benefit from it.
>>
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30
>>
The purpose of the pills, say Prozac for instance is to sell you false hope while simultaneously making you forego any real hope. To eat your fluoride riddled little piece of poison fueling a pharmaceutical corporations executive's coke binge and above him, a truly wicked agenda is being pushed, one to conceal the truth and keep you trapped in the control system. Unable to seek and truth and beaten down and broken, you will accept your pitiful condition and lay down and die, never even being able to answer the questions "who am I? What is my purpose?"
>>
>>17143792
>>17143803
The truth is, this thing is deeper than you can see, you have been blinded. I was too but I'm going to set this straight for you. You have been robbed of your birthright, cut off from your power source. You are beginning to ask questions now, beginning to seek the truth. Have you started to feel like you are in a coma? A dream? Something is wrong with this reality? Why in a country founded from the seeds of revolution is everyone content with laughing at how bad it is? "Haha those liars in washington, those crooks on wall st." Their rights are signed away in front of them. You ever notice all of the songs on the radio use the same formula? Money, drugs, sex, violence. Movies too.
>>
>>17141829
Literally retarded
I was diagnosed with depression about 3 years ago and my anti-depressants were fucking useless. The only thing that even remotely helped was talking to a therapist. Anti-depressants don't magically make you stupid or some conspiracy bullshit
>>
>>17141829
If you take one long enough you could seriously fuck up your brain and body to where you have no sexual desire and feel depressed always.
>>
>>17143816
You're right, they make you brain dead over a period of time (about 10 years) of daily high doses (which most people end up going on the highest dose if they take them for that long). And some doctors mix it with an anti psychotic so that will make you brain dead even faster.
>>
>>17143816
It isn't that antidepressants alone make you stupid, it's the cumulative effect when in combination with things such as msg, aspartame, fluoride, and various other additives distributed through the food system and medications to invoke a mental fog and inhibit your attention span. I was practically drooling all over myself when I figured it out and broke free.
>>
>>17143835
Why then do you think the doctors prescribe them? Surely the good doctor who took that Hippocratic oath doesn't want to hurt you. Who told him that this was a good idea? If massive amounts of people say they don't even work, why do they still take them?
>>
This is part of a much, much deeper agenda to keep you in invisible chains. Christ didn't die for you to be in them, He died to set you free.
>>
Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 10:9-10 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved
>>
>>17143061
While the brain is not "soul", it's mechanisms make it very difficult to change your perception of the environment just by popping pills. It's like believing meditation will cure your mental disorders by citing poor quality studies. The cases you describe are extreme and rare and usually the result of drug abuse, other serious diseases etc. Most mental disorders are a flawed self defense mechanism of your mind, that's why medical drugs have way more success with the mostly purely chemicals case you describe.
>>
>>17143835
Are you saying my brain is dead? I have been on both anti-depressants and anti-psychotics for over 10 years and my brain is not dead. I don't know what you are trying to say?
>>
>>17142060
Jesus anon, you're clever. I had to write that down..
>>
>>17143827
Source? Ive never heard of this
>>
>>17141829
>Do you believe theyre meant to control and dumb peoples minds for conditions that don't necessarily exist?

I think they're being over prescribed, but necessary. There are many people that need antidepressants to function on a daily level and without it will hurt themselves and others around them without meaning to.

My mother has bipolar disorder and when I was younger (from the time I could remember until I was 10) , she used to either dote on me like a normal mother would, beat me until I had welts and bruises or be so depressed she would be in her room most of the time crying while I had to take care of myself for those few days she was like that. During this time, school was the greatest escape I ever had and I always dreaded walking down the drive-way to my house, not knowing if she was going to be mad at me for some unknown reason or happy to see me.

She went to a doctor and was prescribed Abilify, there was a complete change in her behavior and she became less angry and less hostile. Yeah, she has some bad days, but they weren't like the episodes she had years ago.
>>
>>17142325
my take away from the article was
"we don't know for sure ssri contribute to autism"
But I totally agree, correlation =/= causation.
Also claims that autism is on the rise can be refuted with the advancement of the state of psychological assessment and current free flow of information in todays society.
Still it probably deserves some attention.
If SSRI's do in fact contribute to autism it might have interesting effects in the eco-socio-political- arena we all seem to love watching so much.
>>
There's a difference between being sad and being depressed.
>>
I got the xanax on deck tho
>>
I was prescribed a Zoloft by a VA psychiatrist back in 2012, she had me on the max dose for almost 2 years.
It was utter hell being on them since I lost my ability to orgasm.

Coming off them was tough too, I had withdrawals pretty bad, suicidal depression, brain zaps(I thought I was having seizures), and premature ejaculation.

I wasn't even depressed when she originally prescribed them, just feeling shitty because my life was in a bad spot. The only time in my life I've actually been depressed was the withdrawals from Zoloft.
>>
They really helped me. A lot of people when they think of depression either think "sad" or "suicide"

It's much worse than that. At least the way I was. I was pretty bad. I remember a period of 9 months when I didn't see a single person or leave my room. I never felt a single emotion. Just a raw, stinging emptiness. And you don't think you can do anything about it, so you don't try. Doing something even basic, like washing, is so overwhelmingly difficult that you don't do it. Didn't wash for months at a time.

Some folk will tell you how bad they were, they just wanted to die. I felt that way too, sometimes. But there's a lower level you can sink to past that, where you stop wanting to die because you are already dead. I remember being delusional, unsure if I was real or not. Questioning everything, quivering, and accepting I was a Slab of meat, nothing more. No soul. No life. No feeling. A corpse.

I've been on these tablets since may. I was pushed on them by someone very close to me making an ultimatum on one of my few good days. Since then I've cleaned myself up. I have a full time job I love. I have my own place. A gf. A plan for the future.

A couple of months ago I was walking down the street feeling cheerful and I stopped to think about that. Me, cheerful. And as I examined the feeling it spread into this feeling of overwhelming joy and I started crying like a baby right there in front of everyone, and it didn't even matter.

Those pills have literally saved my life. I'm almost ready to come off them and carry on alone, and I think I'll be all right. But that's just me.
>>
I don't feel depressed but I feel constant existential horror. Just being alive is terrifying, especially knowing I'm going to die. I take Lithium and Geodon, hate them though.
>>
>>17144886
I was on antipsychotics for a few years, all the drugs did was fuck me up. I started tapering off them last December, I've been totally off them since September.
>>
Ive been diagnosed severe depression and bipolar 2 disorder when i was 7yrs old. Im 22 now and have been one atleast a dozen medications the past 15 yrs. Im currently on Lamictal and have been for 4yrs now; the only medicine ive found that doesnt stop working for me after a few months. I went about 5 weeks without taking them about a month ago and couldnt get alone with myself. Idk, i suppose it may sound weak of me but the medication helps alot. Still not sure if its the right way of coping though. Sorry for grammer, in mobile
>>
>>17144916
I'm proud of you dude, I want to quit badly but I'm living with my family and they would lose their shit.
>>
>>17144853

Congratulations! You are one of the few people that actually suffered from REAL depression.

Your describtion is spot on.

This kind of depression can really be helped with meds and it should be to get the 'ol engine of live running again.

I'm happy for your recovery and I hope you life will stay fun and fulfilled.

Saddness is not depression.
Melancholia is not depression.
Depression is nothing - and the strenght of this nothingness can vary. Prescribing meds for slightly depressant people is harmful.

Though it has to be said that those "weak" depressions can be very subjective.

I might have some sympthoms, but they vanish when I do sports regularily - I do however not suffer from this since I'm a cynical cunt and I honestly enjoy that feeling of disconnectedness often enough.
>>
>>17144940
Thanks m8, it feels great not need antipsychotics. I've been in total remission since I quit abusing alcohol in November 14 too.
>>
>>17144935
>i suppose it may sound weak of me but the medication helps alot.

That doesn't sound weak at all, if you need help and the medication works, then use it. I've seen a close uncle quit taking his medication and now he's a vagrant that's in trouble with the law all the time, and I worry he's going to be found dead because he wanders around at night next to a busy road.

We would help him and others have tried, like my grandmother, but he gets these thought in his head that burning down a house with them still in it is a good idea.
>>
>>17144968
November 2014
>>
>>17144972
He should be hospitalized then since he is a danger to himself and others.

Does he have substance abuse issues too? A lot of schizophrenic/psychotic people do and it makes their illness far worse.
>>
Only about 75% relevant, but I'm gonna leave this here.

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/features/beating-addiction-out-of-you-literally/

Thoughts?
>>
>>17145007
The question I meant to add was could similar things help depression? Maybe they just feel out of touch with the real world. Physical pain brings that back quickly.
>>
>>17145007
>all the comments are about praising islam
wat
>>
>>17141829
I was prescribed antidepressants (sertraline, basically an off-brand Zoloft) and they helped me a lot. I'm not on them right now because I haven't had my prescription renewed, but I had a problem, talked to a professional about it, and through counseling and medication on their advice I got my shit together.

Sorry OP, I've never looked at a doctor and thought of them as anything but a normal person who's job is to fix the human body vs. normal people whose jobs are to make boat buoys, move furniture, build airplanes, or program websites.
>>
>>17144991
>He should be hospitalized
He has been hospitalized, but they can't keep him indefinitely and his mother get's him out of there all the time.

>>17145007
>>17145016
Beating a mentally ill person in the hopes of curing them is the most retarded thing I've heard and from past experiments don't work.
>>
>>17145092
What a crappy situation, I hope he can get the help he needs
>>
>>17145128
He took medication that helped, but when he starts feeling better he thinks he doesn't need them anymore and refuses to take them, it's been a cycle like this for years now.

Surprisingly, he doesn't abuse alcohol or drugs, which is a blessing.
>>
I took anti-depressants every day for 6 fucking years. Turned me into a zombie, regret everything.

OP I think you have the right attitude about not giving up.
>>
>>17142915
>Indica

You must mean sativa. Sativas have high THC and have a stimulating high, while indicas have more CBD and have a floaty, relaxed high.
>>
>>17143159
Depression doesn't make you hate everything. Sounds like you have borderline personality disorder, which has a high rate of causing depression.
>>
>>17145030
Self-flagellation and self-mutilation is big among some Muslim groups.

Russia is a cess pool of pseudoscience, and this isn't very surprising. You can safely ignore any and all "science" from Russia. The trend started in the U.S.S.R. which was always pseudoscientific, owing all of their expertise from stealing from the West, and after that, with no culture of scientific skepticism or rigor, complete batshit flourished.
>>
This lecture makes me believe that reality it's actually shaped by language...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAoNhacojmM
TL:DR arfrican languages have less words but people rarely suffer from mental illnesses that come from abstract thinking. Now, depression It's a really abstract term when you think about it.
>>
>>17145166
I have mild schizophrenia and I can function without meds fine as long as I don't drink or smoke pot, but people that get psychotic and try to commit arson/murder definitely need meds.

I don't understand what role his mother plays in this since he's an adult, normally a parent cannot take a patient out of psychiatric treatment if they're over 18.

Why isn't the state involved either? Usually if a severely mentally person commits violent crimes when they are ill they are given court ordered treatment.
>>
I recommend everyone who has trouble with depression and anxiety to listen to Alan Watts - The Out of your Mind lectures. It's easy, all you have to do is download, hit play, and listen.
You don't need to take in all the zen stuff if all of that irks you, it's everything else that really helps and makes you think about life, death, and everything in between. If I can describe it, it sort of reminds you of who you truly are as a human being.
I've dealt with the emptiness of depression and the awkward, spastic anxiety that comes before and with it. "Dealt" is the wrong word, since there are days where I'm still sifting through the feelings associated with them, but Mr. Watts' lectures, man they really do help. You can take what you want from them. He even says it himself, "I'm not trying to convert or convince you of anything, I'm just trying to give you an idea of life to play with."

Try it out guys. Existence can be tough sometimes, I just hope that passing on this info can help just one more person with the issues described in this thread, and maybe bring someone a shred of peace in their lives.
>>
>>17145288
He hasn't committed the actual crime just yet, he's been stopped before he could hurt someone and the offenses that he does are misdemeanors. The state has tried to help, and he's been committed before, only for the minimum because during the time he's there he takes his meds and is on his best behavior and assures them he'll do better and they can't hold a person that's mentally sound. He gets out and for a few months he's great, the best uncle ever, then he quits taking his medication and then were back on this same ride.
>>
>>17141850
Seconding this. 5-HTP is basically ground griffonia seeds put in a gelatin pill. Fuck the otc chems.
>>
File: best_angry.jpg (304 KB, 849x565) Image search: [Google]
best_angry.jpg
304 KB, 849x565
>>17141891
>>
Can any /x/tards redpill me on Enlyte™?

It's supposed to be a vitamin or something that helps with depression.

my psych has me on it and idk if it's working or not.
>>
File: DSCF0592.jpg (35 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0592.jpg
35 KB, 720x540
>>17142964
>>17142981
Hello, as a fellow depressed person that's wanted to die since their whole life, I can say I am overly metacognitive and rational about my depressive thoughts, but I have think them regardless and completely understand the 'world wants to fuck me' thing. These aren't thoughts I want either, but I have them regardless of rationale.
>>
>>17146411
>redpill me on a vitamin

Uh ok, its a nutrient that your body needs to function. I'm guessing researchers found that the vitamins in enlyte help with depression.

Seems safe but I fail to see how it's better than buying the same vitamins over the counter for far less.

I hope you get better soon anon, mental illness sucks.
>>
File: image.jpg (798 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
798 KB, 3264x2448
OP here finally broke down guys. Went and saw my doc today and picked up my anti-depressants. I suppose it was a moment of weakness brought about by some of your responses. I just cant bring myself to take them though. What the hell do I do? Im thinking flush the little fuckers
>>
>>17146411
Flush that shit down the toilet anon. When I was just at the doc they tryed to shill me a 40$ bottle of capsulated, concentrated cumin. This was on some doctor oz shit. People come to doctors in desperation and are left poor as fuck with "vitamin pills" that can be achieved easily through a balanced diet. Had me seeing red
>>
>>17146813
Look man, take these things properly and keep in touch with your doctor about mood swings or anything out of the ordinary. If you think you need them then take them, but be careful with them like all things in life.
>>
>>17146813
Dude, I got anti depressants prescribed recently and I can't bring myself to take them. Keep them but don't take them if you think you can go without them.
>>
>>17141829
I think they're a huge money maker for pharmaceutical companies. It's not much different to alcohol or smoking - addictive and unhealthy. Right now people are denying they're unhealthy but we'll learn soon enough and they'll probably introduce something new to make money from.
>>
>>17146922
>>17147703
>>17146922
I have an addictive personality though which is why I worry about starting them. This is why I completely abstain from alcohol and other street drugs. Will I believe I will need them to function forever?
>>
>>17147948
Most likely. I'm mentally hooked to weed even though I know it's nothing at all to put down and would be better off without it, but I feel like I need it. That's the same reason I don't want to try what I was prescribed. In case, like an anon said, my depression is just a symptom of something wrong in my life, I do not want to fuck up my chances of not being miserable any more than I have by becoming dependent on pills.
>>
Any herbs or tea that you can take to make your moods or feelings better?
>>
>>17145203
I believe you may have misread my post. Sativas are my preferred subspecies of cannabis; while almost all marijuana has been effective in my personal experience, a good sativa or sativa-heavy hybrid like pink kush (my personal favorite strain) is most effective.

>>17146813
Keep in touch with your doctor, like the other anon said. Take them EXACTLY as instructed!
>>
>>17148190
I smoke weed. A lot of weed. Helps a lot, but while it's a very effective treatment for me, it's not a cure.
>>
I go through depressed episodes. Rationally, I know it's silly. It's enjoyable to play along the lines of death but I never quite understood the life of a chronic depressed person who wants nothing more to do than die. What's the point? Philosophically, what's the point of thinking like that? Joy doesn't come from fucking marshmellow camp fire, it comes from an escape of misery. Distract yourself. As meaningless as everything may perceive to be, find your piece of heaven to make hell not seem so bad.
>>
>>17148284
I have had episodes of depression since I was a child, I've managed to "adapt" and just live on in the misery. That's how I know your little contribution here is crap.
Suicidal idealization isn't always symptomatic of depression. But I've experienced it. There's always someone there IRL when you reach that lowpoint to verbalize just how worthless they think you are, a mother's love in action.
These notions don't just pop out of thin air, someone at some point tells you to die because they'll be better off without you.
Existential nihilism is more commonplace, but it too can not always present in every major depressive episode. Depression's verbalization is not an Emo trend. It's rationalizing suffering. That's just your mind trying to understand the emotion that's overwhelming you.
Life stops being worth living. Period.
It's brain chemistry, like a halucination.
You don't get to logic your way out of it.
And the notion that you can just slap someone in the face and they'll listen to reason and come out of it is idiotic. Worse: it's insulting.
Your argument is based upon your own false sense of personal value, someone in the throws of depression doesn't have that crutch to lean on.
Get over yourself.
>>
>>17141829
>going to medical advice at 4chan's paranormal board.
Therapy noa, faggot.
>>
Psychedelics offer a lot more help than anti-depressants
>>
Can't believe there's so many people here who don't "get" depression... thought y'all were my bros
>>
>>17150110
I can find truth in your statement having felt at peace after using different psychedelics, but advising mentally unstable people to descend into drug induced hallucinations is a dangerous proposition.
>>
>>17150152
There were plenty of people who described it accurately though. Everyone suffers from it differently anon
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.