[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A lot of people seem to be afraid of the dark. It's strange,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 1437339367306.jpg (77 KB, 496x604) Image search: [Google]
1437339367306.jpg
77 KB, 496x604
A lot of people seem to be afraid of the dark. It's strange, I think, to be afraid of the dark, and it seems this is why a lot of people are afraid of space as well since it's mostly dark space. But it also is a common childhood fear that many either grow out of, or claim and keep it to themselves. Western societies notion a grown up approach to be rational about darkness. Nothing is there when the light goes out, so why is it scary now? But the fear doesn't always go away, some people are extremely upset by it while others are only irked.
>>
>>17032590
My house has been successfully robbed once and I get visitors regularly at the backdoor
Theres been many a night where I got up to piss and theres a guy trying to open my sliding back door
I swear the lock on that thing has been kicked out and busted 10+ times in the 3 years I've lived here
But cause of that I can only fall asleep with the light from my computer on and my body facing the center of the room
Some nights its so bad that I have to run through each room in my house and check every corner that a human being could fit in
>>
>>17032676
What the hell are you doing there lol. Ten times broken in is ten times too much.
>>
>>17032590
>Nothing is there when the light goes out, so why is it scary now?
because sometimes there is something there when the light goes out. whether you're out in the wilderness and vulnerable to bears, wolves or other wild animals or you're in the city with muggers, rapists, serial killers, there is always something to be afraid of when your senses are not working at full capacity (i can't see in the dark, can you?). it's probably a primal instinct and it still makes sense today.
>>
>>17032715
My house hasnt been broken into 10 times, they broke the lock on my sliding door but the wooden rod I keep in the track prevents it from opening more than an inch
Just enough to set my alarm off and wake up everyone
Maybe my home just looks like wealthy people live there? idk man
>>
>>17032590

Because the dark concealed predators when humans were still wilderness dwellers. It's an evolutionary instinct that we still have because we're a young species but also because we've moved so far away from our natural course of evolution.
>>
>>17032590
Fear of the dark can easily be atributed to basic instincts, as a species we have pretty poor eye sight and its definitely harder to defend against a predator you cant see. So we developed a overactive aversion to darkness, now its almost useless but we still have it because we didn't survive as a species because we shrugged off our fears or ignored instincts.
>>
File: yp28GK6.png (257 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
yp28GK6.png
257 KB, 720x720
Fear of the dark is irrational. It's just a lack of photons.
>>
>>17034420
This is how a lot of people with autism think.
>>
>>17034420
Now thats what i call autism.
>>
>>17034448
>>17034460

Look at you afraid of the dark neck-beards. Go hide in your circles of salt and light your blessed candles faggots, this man is a fucking genius and has made something of himself and you're both mad jelly sitting in your basements with your lights on.
>>
>>17034473

>look at you afraid of the dark neckbeards

What am i reading
>>
>>17034480

Do you need it typed with proper grammar and punctuation for your neck-beard brain to process it or something? Go back to commenting on youtube you stupid faggot.
>>
>>17032590
Wow, you're dumb. Have you done any research on fear at all? Fear of the dark doesn't tend to be a fear of the dark of itself. It's a fear of the unknown. A fear of that thing or person that might be hiding just out of sight when you turn the lights out. Those wolves that are waiting for you just outside your campfire's light . It's not that there isn't anything there. It's that there might just be something. You don't know what, and you can't see it. You're helpless. That's why people are hardwired to fear the dark.
>>
>>17034487
It would be nice if you could speak proper fucking English, yes. Fuck, you're dumber than I thought. Isn't it a school night, kiddo?
>>
>>17034511

It's like I can smell the Cheetos stuck in your neck-beard when I read this stupid bullshit you fucking fedora tipper. You ain't got shit and you know it. You don't have anything to do in the morning because you're an unemployed slob living in his parents basement. Get at me, it's easy to see how sad a human you are and I enjoy seeing your attempts.
>>
>>17034522
Good memeing, son, but I'm a veteran. Your newfag tricks don't work on me ;^D
>>
>>17034531

It already did.
>>
And there we have it /x/; truly the darkest place of all is the human heart.

/thread.
>>
>>17032590
>being afraid of areas where your primary sense is crippled
>strange
>>
>>17034420
Well, nobody is really afraid of the dark in the sense that it's the actual darkness they're scared of. They're scared of what might be lurking in it.

What's odd is that they're still scared even if they know there's nothing lurking in it.
>>
>>17032590
Fear of the unknown. Light goes out and all the sudden you lose a sense that we depend on more than any other sense we have. Our rational brain tells us there's nothing to be scared of, but something else pops up and says "but what if there is something to be scared of?" you can't see that there's nothing to be scared of so in some of our minds, that uncertainty takes over.

I used to navigate from my bathroom to my bedroom in pitch blackness with no worries whatsoever. I do it all the time in the broad daylight, I know where the stuff I could bump into is, I know I'm not going to stub my toe or trip over anything.

And then weird shit started happening. I saw a figure dart past my bathroom door when nobody was around, I was sitting on the couch and my wife told me to get away from the bathroom door. She could sense that I was standing outside the door waiting for her to come out so I could scare her but I was on the couch the whole time. Random fly infestation, noises, bathroom light turned on and all the cabinets wide open when she got home but I always make sure I close everything and turn off all lights before I leave for work.

Now I use a flashlight to walk the ten feet from my bathroom to my bedroom. Not that it would really make much of a difference to whatever might be fucking with us, I just don't want any surprises.
>>
>>17035164
> I saw a figure dart past my bathroom door when nobody was around
that was just an spirit or the shadow people passing by
>>
>>17035223
Also, a couple days ago one of my dogs spent about ten minutes barking into my empty laundry room and my other dog is always looking at something and moving her head as if watching something moving around but there's never anything there when I look.
>>
>>17032590
I'd wager it's an evolutionary thing. Picture yourself being a caveman. You see a cave. It's dark. But it's cold outside. You go in. BOOM! You get mawed. Other cavemen see you.
>shit. Ki is dead. no more dark places for me.
Something of the sort
>>
>>17035164
>Our rational brain
Yes. Survival is even more rational and it's irresistible. Nearly all "ghost hunters" even though they are consumed by the subject will run for their lives if they confront something they don't fully understand. There's nothing irrational about it whether you are going to stub your toe or about to be possessed by spoopy demons.
>>
>>17032746
I can relate. We use to live in a rural area, but for some reason, despite it being in the middle of the sticks, people robbed our shit all the time. We couldn't leave anything on the porch unless we didn't really want it. I hated that feeling when the first thing you do when you get home is unlock your door and check to see if all your belongings are the there after working 10+ hours.

When my husband worked nights, I'd sleep with a gun in my hand, and every tree branch that snapped off in the woods would make me flinch.
>>
Many classic horror icons, such as Giger’s Xenomorphs, Silent Hill’s Pyramid Head, and other disturbing creatures, share common characteristics. Pale skin, dark, sunken eyes, elongated faces, sharp teeth, and the like. These images inspire horror and revulsion in many, and with good reason. The characteristics shared by these faces are imprinted in the human mind.

Many things frighten humans instinctively. The fear is natural, and does not need to be reinforced in order to terrify. The fears are species-wide, stemming from dark times in the past when lightning could mean the burning of your tree home, thunder could be the approaching gallops of a stampede, predators could hide in darkness, and heights could make poor footing lethal.

The question you have to ask yourself is this:

What happened, deep in the hidden eras before history began, that could effect the entire human race so evenly as to give the entire species a deep, instinctual, and lasting fear of pale beings with dark, sunken eyes, razor sharp teeth, and elongated faces?

… Just be careful out there.

Creepypasta called Genetic Memory. Does make you wonder though.
>>
>>17032590
It's an instinct. You're retarded.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.