[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Real Time Travel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14
File: travel-back-in-time.jpg (58 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
travel-back-in-time.jpg
58 KB, 600x450
Anyone know of any obscure and rare sources of time travel out there?

I know there are some academics and physicists who have been working on this subject for a while like Starfire Tor, Cynthia Larson and Andrew Basiago just being a few off the top of my head. Since this has been done since the 40's.

There's stuff out there like Project Pegasus, Philadelphia Experiment, Montauk Project and Project MK Ultra.

Anyone have any leads towards papers and abstracts and stuff like that? All I know is that there are more than one ways of traveling through time like spiritual time travel and the like, since there isn't a singular way of achieving or doing so. There are many ways, since humanity doesn't understand the nature of the fabricated construct of "time."

Any help would be appreciated. Currently doing some research and ran out of leads.
>>
>Real Time Travel

I would love turn based travel as an alternative.
>>
>go to sleep
>wake up later
>time travel
>>
>>17094487
just travel at the speed of light and you'll time travel
>>
>>17094487
El psy congroo
l

p
s
y

c
o
n
g
r
o
o
>>
>>17095458
oppa gangnam style
>>
>>17094487
Just sit near a blackhole for a while if you want to travel to the future.
You can't travel back tho, so if you overshoot the utopia era on earth you are fugged
>>
File: Titor.jpg (18 KB, 640x523) Image search: [Google]
Titor.jpg
18 KB, 640x523
JOHN TITOR
>>
create a gravitational force strong enough to affect light then jump in. sure youll die, but your atoms will live on.
>>
^actually that's a lie. your atoms will be reduced to a scalar field which will become part of the gravity well. you will be immortal in a sense.
>>
>>17095385
Ha
>>
>>17094487
Like Cern?
>>
>>17095520
what's this pic?
>>
>>17094487
>obscure and rare sources of time travel
Time travel is super exciting to both physics and people in general. Any sources worth considering will not be obscure or rare. That's not how things work.
>papers and abstracts and stuff like that?
You can't even do a simple integral. You would not understand a single thing in a physics paper
>>
File: ss+(2015-10-09+at+03.15.09).jpg (15 KB, 207x181) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-10-09+at+03.15.09).jpg
15 KB, 207x181
>>17095385
>>
>>17094487
Not really time travel but look into frame dragging, it would allow information to be sent into the past.
>>
>>17097284
The fuck are you talking about "Past"? There is no actual past. Time is non-linear. It's a consequence of changes that we experience. Entropy. It's just a concept we use to order events.

>What is relativity.
> What is light speed.
>>
>>17096107
You...you should probably leave this board.
>>
>>17095397
Or rather, try out traveling at the speed of tachyons.
>>
>Look, everything we're putting into that box becomes ungrounded, and I don't mean grounded like to the earth, I mean, not tethered. I mean, we're blocking whatever keeps it moving forward and so they flip-flop. Inside the box it's like a street, both ends are cul-de-sacs. I mean, this isn't frame dragging or wormhole magic this is basic mechanics and heat 101.

Was Shane Carruth trying to tell us something? Is that why they silenced him?
>>
>>17095546

^ what the fuck is this, do you not know how to reply?
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 600x300
>>17095520
>tfw nobody tried to build this.
Why live ?
>>
>>17097303
>>17097303
We experience time in one direction only. Seems pretty linear to me. Relative, sure, but not exactly non-linear.
There was time before your post, the event of your post, then all the time after. In the grand scheme of things, everything has already happened. Everything is a point in time in a line, if you will.
Like if you scale a map down enough, two places that are actually far apart can seem right next to or in the same place.
>>
>>17097303
Sorry you don't understand modern physics, space and time are interwoven.
>>
>>17099935
Space and time are interwoven? So if I walk backwards through space do I travel back in time? If i go forward really fast through space do I travel forwards in time faster?

I think you overestimate your grasp on physics, dear anon. The space-time model is outdated, like QM. Both will be made redundant in due course.

Question: can you prove "time", as an independent dimension, exists?
>>
>>17100007
>If i go forward really fast through space do I travel forwards in time faster?
technically, yes. the closer you get to the speed of light, the more time slows down around you. but keep acting as though you know what you're talking about.
>>
>>17100007
>D(t)= A(t^3)+ B(t^2)+C, where D(t) is a function of postion with respect to time.
Nigga Square up. I just defined time as independent with Bitch Nigga Calculus.
>>
>>17099867
Time is a quality of the mind, a line only comes to be in thought.

You can go into the future, and you can get to a star faster than light, but by then the star you reach is older, and every one back home is dead. The effect would be as though everything rapidly expands away from you, and contracts upon decelerating.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (851 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
851 KB, 3000x1688
My university had a course that had something about time travel too.

Here's one paper from the top of my head but I see if I find more. I think OP's pic relates to this.

>Einstein and Rosen: The Particle Problem in the General Theory of Relativity
http://journals.aps.org/pr/pdf/10.1103/PhysRev.48.73
>>
ITT
>people spouting non-sense and theories as if it were facts
>>
>>17100319
duh. welcome to /x/
>>
File: wormholes.jpg (13 KB, 400x214) Image search: [Google]
wormholes.jpg
13 KB, 400x214
>>17100278
me again. found 2 more that might interest you.

> Kuhfittig (also Morris & Throne but they aren't credited) Macroscopic traversable wormholes with zero tidal forces inspired by noncommutative geometry

>Morris & Thorne: Wormholes in Spacetime and their Use for interstellar travel: a tool for teching relativity
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0xb4crOvCgTcUYtTzVkOVY3VWc/edit

On the side note teacher also told us NSF was thrown back by Thrones facination for time travel and he lost his funding for that reason.

BTW interesting thread.
I'm thinking of copying it to /sci/ at some point.
>>
>>17100354
I forgot a link there. Let me fix that:

>> Kuhfittig: Macroscopic traversable wormholes with zero tidal forces inspired by noncommutative geometry

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0xb4crOvCgTcUYtTzVkOVY3VWc/edit
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (39 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
39 KB, 1280x720
>>17100363
...And that's a wrong link....

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1412.4267.pdf
>>
Paul Laffoley, but he has an odd definition of time travel
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/paul_laffoley_explains_how_to_build_a_working_time_machine_and_a_house_made
>>
>>17100078
underrated post familia
>>
Time travel is impossible because of the law of causality. This law needs to be maintained because if it didn't the universe as we know it would not be able to exist.
>>
Sorry, but all the theories ITT, like..

>>17100657

...Are based on the 200 year old assumption that we exist in an objective reality. We do not. Reality, as science has proved, is subjective. Therefore, all theories based around QM, the Standard Model, the copenhagen interpretation, or even QFT.. are invalid.
>>
>>17100657
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrocausality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible_computing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_timelike_curve

"Impossible" is such a strong (and limiting) term. Be careful of bandying it around, lest you settle into dogma. "Unlikely" is a much safer substitute.
>>
>>17100657
How exactly causality prevents time travel? To me it only implies that travelers can't change anything.

Travelers wouldn't be able to change the past because they are in the past. Everything would go the same way as 'in the first time' because it is the exact same moment. All the things they are doing there have already happened and if they think they are going to change something big we can already see that they failed and will fail.
>>
>>17094487
Here's a tip. If your past self and your future self get too close your past self will pass out.
>>
File: image.png (368 KB, 946x606) Image search: [Google]
image.png
368 KB, 946x606
>>
>>17099777
bump
>>
>>17100007
>The space-time model is outdated, like QM
you better be trolling nigu
>>
File: the burner.png (199 KB, 391x382) Image search: [Google]
the burner.png
199 KB, 391x382
>>17101225
is this real?
>>
>>17100910
It's more complex than that.
But also more simple.

You can't change anything, because there is no 'other timeline' or 'first time'.
All the events that led to you time-travelling occurred. Hence, you were pre-destined to travel into the past.
Hence, in the past you were already there, a part of the past that led to the very situation of you time-travelling in the first place.

A closed time-like curve. Kind of like predestination, but much more rigid in hard reality.

It's the only kind of time travel that makes sense.

>JK got it absolutely right.
>>
We can all spout these pseudo-science theories but the fact is that theyre all based on incomplete models. Nobody knows what is possible. QM is not, and never will be, an accurate description of reality. Thats a fact. QM cant even explain how our noses work. It cant explain gravity, or time, and never will.
>>
>>17101446
Yep - some no life waited four years to post in /b/ "becoming a time traveller, of course!!!"
>>
File: 3.jpg (11 KB, 287x254) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
11 KB, 287x254
infinity...
>>
>>17101482
A side-note: the logical necessity that whatever you do turn out consistent with no paradox can be exploited to solve NP and even PSPACE* problems in P time through time-loop computing.

NP problems are the set of problems whose answer can be checked in P time. To solve them, you just

>1. Receive an answer from the future
>2. Check the answer
>3. If it checks out:
>4a. send back the same answer to step 1
>4b. else, or if no answer received, send back a random different answer

Because 4b would be a paradox, it will never occur, and so 4a is guaranteed to happen - allowing you to solve difficult problems very quickly.

*http://www.scottaaronson.com/papers/ctc.pdf
>>
>>17101482
That's what I meant
>>
>>17094487

i time-travelled when i was younger, although i wouldn't really call it that
>>
>>17100657
>the universe as we know it
Is not worth protecting.
>>
>>17101010
How do you know this? Experience?
>>
>>17097303
light speed is the fastest possible speed any particle can move at due to the fact that whatever background calculations/waveform variation of spacetime/whatever can not be processed any faster.
in a single instant, a particle can only be moving so fast,
i guess you could tell the refreshrate of the universe if you looked at shit moving at lightspeed
>which is why all the bullshit that happens at lightspeed, to keep us from telling the fps
these fucking programmers, jesus.
>>
>>17100149
no, space is a quality of a mind, time is constant, from an external viewpoint.
otherwise bullshit.
this setup removes all potential for bullshit that could break things, but allows all sorts of other bullshit, thats fun.
like i could say that even though you and i are talking to eachother, you could be in an entirely different universe based on the state of your psyche, and i have no way of knowing you arent posting on here from a crystaline structure running on magic sitting in the elves world while im here stuck on a shitty operating equipment surrounded by shitty humans.
>good thing this is a shitpost, right?
>they cant all be elves, can they?
>even the humans you see could actually be elves/goblins/trolls/aliens/robots, in the universe theyre actually in, and you only see a manifestation that approximates their mentality and personality(or potentially only one of those things, and the other is all on our side)
>>
>>17104656
I'm not sure that actually gets you anything in terms of efficiency. The closer things are moving to lightspeed, the more precision you'd have to process their time, position, and velocity at. 0.99 and 0.999 and 0.9999 of lightspeed are all very very different in physical consequences.

There's not actually any real difference in terms of the amount of processing you need to do between something moving very near lightspeed in special relativity, and something moving much faster in classical mechanics. The numbers involved are physically smaller in terms of relativity, but the precision needed is much greater, so things come out the same in the amount of data and calculations having to be processed.
>>
>>17103811
Dude you cant use math to describe reality. I know mathematicians like to think they can, but they cant.

We can create conceptual laws to help build our reality-model or world-view, but we cannot define "actual" reality using metaphors, math, maps or models.
>>
>>17105629
You can certainly use math to describe what computers do.
>>
I have a new proposal.

Change the speed of light in relation to you.

If you slow light down to a stopping point, then you are travelling the speed of it, and that little sphere in which our experiment occurs will accelerate through time. Speed up the light in our sphere, and you could potentially move backwards in time.
>>
>>17106326

You can change the speed of light. It happens all the time. Just run it through a medium with a different refractive index.

It doesn't change anything except the speed of that particular ray. If you universally change the speed of light, then you're changing the speed of everything in existence and therefore just altering time.

It's not a loophole.
>>
>>17105657
By design, yes. It's why I love them so much.
>>
>>17102995
And he was a couple minutes off. Waste of time machine.
>>
>>17100007
>Space and time are interwoven? So if I walk backwards through space do I travel back in time?
Nice jump in 'logic', retard. It's well established that time and space are connected, hence why it's collectively referred to as space-time, the same way we refer to electromagnetism since we discovered electricity and magnetism are the same basic force. Gravity wells that affect curvature of space also affects the flow of time. This is shit that's already been well established. I'm not even a physicist, but I can tell you haven't even bothered trying to understand even the most basic concepts of it.

>I think you overestimate your grasp on physics, dear anon.
That anon has a better grasp on physics than you do, which is obviously "none".

>The space-time model is outdated, like QM. Both will be made redundant in due course.
Oh, I bet this will be rich. Please, do explain, since you think you're so fucking smart. Listening to a helmet wearing window licker try to debunk the current model of physics would be hilarious, I'm sure.

>>17100078
This motherfucker. #rekt with maths
>>
>>17102923
>QM is not, and never will be, an accurate description of reality. Thats a fact.
[citation needed]
>>
What's even the point?
It's already been said that traveling back in time would require turning the speed of light around which is virtually impossible

And if you can't go back in time then what's the point?
Sure you can see the future but big whoop, wouldn't going back in the past be overall much better?
>>
>>17105629
>Dude you cant use math to describe reality. I know mathematicians like to think they can, but they cant.
Not even a mathematician, but I think you can. Everything in existence and their interactions with each other has the ability to be quantified. Everything we've come to learn so far is able to be reduced to formulas and equations, and there is no reason to think we won't continue to do so as we learn more.

Not only *can* you use math to describe reality, but in some cases, you *must* use math to describe it. How else would we have discovered that the universe is expanding, or the rate of it's expansion? How else would we have discovered the existence of dark energy and dark matter? If it weren't for our ability to describe reality with math, we never would have been able to work the math backwards to discover that what we can see is being heavily affected by something we can't.
>>
I've always had this thought that if time travel were achieved at some point, it would or could be commercialized and that there would be this service where you could travel to the past to see old ancestors/historical events without interfering in those moments.
>>
>>17105629
>Dude you cant use math to describe reality. I know mathematicians like to think they can, but they cant.

Says some random person with no expertise and no experience on the matter.
>>
>>17094487
If you could comprehend time travel, you would be smart enough to not want to do it.
>>
>>17099014
You must be a joy to stand by in the unemployment line.

>Oh yeah, let me tell you about...
>>
>>17100078
Let's go on a hold hands type of date, senpai.
>>
>>17099867
Hey if u effect a pass event he current evens will alter.... Butterflies brah
>>
who knows, but Hong Kong will soon be under water due to some sort of gravitational interference
>>
>>17094487
Tequila
>>
Why is it that America seems like the only country that even cares about working towards Time Travel?
I mean really, Japan has way better technology, why aren't they the ones on top of this project?
>>
>>17094487
They are attempts to look into alternative universes. That's all they can do, because all of them have different futures. Just like Dreams do, especially if they're about the future.
>>
>>17094487
You sure op? Sure you don't mean false time travel?
>>
>>17108856
Them sneaky lil' Nips probably are already workin' on it, they just ain't sayin' shit. Sneaky lil' yellow bastards.
>>
>>17109260
Or maybe they researched parallel universes. Maybe a joint research with Taured.
http://coolinterestingstuff.com/the-strange-mystery-of-the-man-from-taured
>>
>>17094487
i have a theory that dejavu is in someway time travel. Think about it, you remember the moment, but you can't remember when.

I don't think it's a loop, i think it's that you are experiencing something in reverse time. It's a memory you don't have.
>>
>>17108856
>America seems like the only country that even cares about working towards Time Travel

the only thing america cares about is killing innocents and blowing up remote villagers. just one or two american researchers are into time travel doesn't mean they are taking it seriously.
>>
There exist several dimensions that cannot be drawn on paper nor on a 3D image. Time is one of those things.

Most likely Time isn't one dimension either.

If there are multiple universes that take place at the same time, then the question for traveling through time (by means of going to both the past and the future, by using some kind of vehicle or machine), would be the same as to wonder how to travel to one of these alternate universes, where different sets of choices have been made.

Also, if you were to travel through time and time and space are linked, wouldn't that make your own time different from the time of your arrival? (meaning, that if you travel back to the future, no matter what you did, you would always end up in a different world from where you came from?)

If you were to jump to another version of this world, what time would you arrive in?

Perhaps the past, present and future all take place at the exact same time, while for us (observers) they do not (as we progress through our own time).

I once saw a presentation on youtube, and based on it's logic, if one were to travel far away enough from Earth (to a very ar point in the universe) and travel back, he or she could actually arrive in the past.

Time and space are a strange thing. I'm not too sure if it's a godo idea to label them together as spacetime, even if they are linked.
>>
>>17106913
This is correct. Hence the term time "travel" as opposed to something more sinister like "history manipulation."
>>
wut
>>
>>17100369
What's the story behind the pic?
>>
time travel is possible you guys just gota stop there, but nooo you go further like asking o if you can what hapens if you do? no the point is you can time travel. that is all you can!!! thats all, as to what happens after dont matter what happens in the past stays in the past. point is that doont matter point is everyone can and has to agree that time travel IS possible
>>
>>17110876
I get deja vu quite often but the outcome feels like it could have panned out quite more differently. What if multiple verses existed and are minds are linked together in a certain type of way?
>>
>>17101225
honestly if he can do this, why not tell his future self to come back for him since clearly his future self would remember. Kind of like that one movie where the kid hides a letter inside of a hidden windowsill and tells him to go back in time? or forward? I don't know but I think this would work if you planned to not move away from a house ever, or be like this annon and not forget the exact day you want to time travel.

Lets say for instance, the day time travel becomes mainstream, you make yourself remember "oh yea i have to go back and save myself" but without proper planning you can't remember and so you never go back and you never know if future you ever gets a time machine.
>>
File: jojokek.png (244 KB, 1059x638) Image search: [Google]
jojokek.png
244 KB, 1059x638
>>17112830
This is the funniest thing I've seen all week. Anon makes 3 posts with detailed papers about time travel theories, and you ask about a picture of a man with roller blades.
>>
File: 016[1].png (141 KB, 816x1300) Image search: [Google]
016[1].png
141 KB, 816x1300
>>17106341
What if we changed gravity though?
I don't know anything about this topic and I know I'm being ridiculous here, but is there any merit to the theory in pic related?
>>
>>17110876
I can agree with that.
I think part of what backs this up is the fact that you can experience different types of deja vu, or at least I have. Sometimes it's a brand new experience that I feel like I might have had before, other times I can vividly remember the exact moment happening, just not when. It's a strange thing.
>>
>>17094487
Vajrayana and Kalachakra.

From pluralism dot something:
'In the seventh century, a major movement within Mahayana Buddhism arose. This stream of Buddhism, called the Vajrayana, is most prominent in Tibet and its surrounding regions, although forms of it are found in China and Japan. The Vajrayana, literally the “Diamond Vehicle” or the “Thunderbolt Vehicle,” understands itself to be an esoteric form of Mahayana Buddhism with an accelerated path to enlightenment.'

From Wikipedia:
'The Kālacakra tradition revolves around the concept of time (kāla) and cycles (chakra): from the cycles of the planets,[1] to the cycles of human breathing, it teaches the practice of working with the most subtle energies within one's body on the path to enlightenment.'
>>
>>17095389
How do I do this and wake into another state or location?
>>
>>17114614
Fall asleep on a train, ya dummy!
>>
>>17094487
If we admit that time is linear.
The only way to travel back in time without any paradoxical repercussions is if we also consider time as an infinite closed loop.
This way we can travel to a "past" located in the future and actually change things without breaking the laws of causality.
>>
>>17095385
Fuck you I want my sides back.
>>
I’m going to post one of my ridiculous theories here, so it will be rather long.

In order to time travel, you need to know two points and the conditions of those points in several dimensions.

Currently we decide a location of an object using 3 axis points in space. (Three dimensions.)
Since we want to travel through time, we would need to point out a 4th value on an additional axis. However doing so causes the picture of this position to turn into a slide show.

What I mean is, points in time can be picked, but they cannot be linked. You can’t draw a 4D image, but you can play a movie (have many frames point out moments in time).

The problem is, even if you know a place in time and in space of where you want to go, there are things that we cannot measure and still need to hold in account.
>>
The solar system that moves through the star system. The star systems that move through the universe. In fact, it’s entirely possible that there is more than one universe existing next to each other where other big bang events have happened and the can too move right through each other.

From that point, space itself is more like a wild sea, much rather than a flat thing that can have gravitational dents in it.

The universes that exist next to each other within the same emptiness, under the same conditions as ours can be called Local Universes.

Science allows other types of universes to coexist next to each other as well, ones which are equal to our own in which however different events have been taken place. (Dimensional Parallel Universes). These universes exist on a different axis or set of those imaginary lines as well and create a rather odd image for positioning things.

In order to get a precise location of things, you will need to know what “version” of what universe, in what “timestamp”, “where” something would be. If there is a 5th dimension (axis), it would be most likely the version of the universe.

Assuming that space and time are connected, we can conclude that heavy celestial objects don’t just bend space, but also time. Collections of those would have a stronger effect than lone objects streaming through space. Black holes would have a massive effect on it. Things as small as matter though also affect space and time, but I assume not enough to make much of a difference, but this too could matter when calculating a position.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.